Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mazed posted:

So this is really important.

When you're fighting a Lord of Cinder, you must burn an Ember when they hit their second phase. Set them in your quick item slot as a reminder.

I mean, you want to be cool, right?

Rosaria's appearance is meant to evoke Gwynevere, but that's as far as it really goes.

Gertrude is very explicitly the corpse in the huge cage you can drop into from the rafters of the Grand Archives, that gives you the Divine Pillars of Light miracle (which I really wish was more useful). The Angel Knights were her conception. There's another neat little aside beyond a hidden door past where you fight the dual-axe knight in Lothric Castle, where you find the Angel Knight armor set and a painting of one of them looking very noble and beatific.

Knowing their story and Gertrude's ignominious fate, I actually feel kinda bad for the Angel Knights. :smith:

Well, we don't know exactly if that's her, after all the cage is already unlocked, and there's a mangrub nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Loopoo posted:

I'm a little babby... Plus I'm really scared cause everyone pumps Darksouls to be super hard so I'm constantly hoarding souls to level up and buy gear due to the constant fear of reaching an area and being too weak to continue on, and then having no way of gaining enough souls to level up and become strong enough.

This was a while back, but this is why you save the portable souls. Like 'Soul of a Crestfallen Warrior' or 'Large Soul of a Deserted Corpse'. Hold on to those until you want to level. 6k, while a bit rough in the early game, is easy to get back. My record in this game is 128k.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

After 2 solid minutes of observation, we finally launched our attack on this host who clearly had his dried fingers still on after Abyss Watchers, and his lone lance-bearing summon

https://fat.gfycat.com/FlimsyShadowyFruitfly.webm

:cripes:

SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

i loving love gank squad ambushes like that

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fuckin lol at people saying this is bad.
Hitboxes need to be biased towards aiding the player because of an inherently flawed perspective. If this was salt and sanctuary this would be inexcusable since you can clearly see where your weapon goes. It's to compensate for a Lack of depth perception.
The only thing i saw that was actually off was how long the thrusting sword hitbox was active, and that has nothing to do with the hitbox size itself.

Seriously try playing Nioh with an Axe. It's frustrating for no good reason.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Well this sucks. Guess everything is gonna stay the same then.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hitboxes need to be biased towards aiding the player because of an inherently flawed perspective. If this was salt and sanctuary this would be inexcusable since you can clearly see where your weapon goes. It's to compensate for a Lack of depth perception.
The only thing i saw that was actually off was how long the thrusting sword hitbox was active, and that has nothing to do with the hitbox size itself.

Dark Souls 2 apparently had way more accurate hitboxes for weapons and it played fine. There's no reason for the phantom range to be that loving big.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 17, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Hitboxes need to be biased towards aiding the player because of an inherently flawed perspective. If this was salt and sanctuary this would be inexcusable since you can clearly see where your weapon goes.

then why doesn't every single weapon have moron phantom hitbox range. i can see where my weapon goes in this game too. do you have all of your eyes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hitboxes need to be biased towards aiding the player because of an inherently flawed perspective. If this was salt and sanctuary this would be inexcusable since you can clearly see where your weapon goes.

Yeah, the description sums it all up. It's aggravating to just barely miss and to just barely get hit, so they give a little extra range to players and a little less range to enemies. In PVP both players have extra range and the lag just exacerbates it, but the real thing is people complaining about BUH BUH PHANTOM RANGE without realizing that they can, have, and are doing the same thing to other players, it just doesn't look like it from their end. It's just something to have to take into account and play around cause they either have to gently caress up PVE or do the impossible and make lag not exist.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

straight swords do not have just a little phantom range

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

phantom range is bullshit when I do it too. its bullshit to get hit 3 or 4 rolls away with an estoc or straight sword or washing pole running attack.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also they used the rear end, which is the shortest straight sword, which exaggerates the video.
I have a feeling that all the straight swords have the same hitbox.

Still say the problem is less hitboxes more the active frames.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, the description sums it all up. It's aggravating to just barely miss and to just barely get hit, so they give a little extra range to players and a little less range to enemies. In PVP both players have extra range and the lag just exacerbates it, but the real thing is people complaining about BUH BUH PHANTOM RANGE without realizing that they can, have, and are doing the same thing to other players, it just doesn't look like it from their end. It's just something to have to take into account and play around cause they either have to gently caress up PVE or do the impossible and make lag not exist.

However, just like that oopsie with the Astora Greatsword overhand swing mysteriously being a thrust, From's insistence on doing every single weapon's parameters manually can result in serious inconsistencies in hitboxes. Phantom range isn't the issue persay, it's inconsistent phantom range.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kild posted:

the angels are frampt/kaathe

Imho the angels could possibly be semi-literal ones, lest we forget our friends the darklurkers.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Also they used the rear end, which is the shortest straight sword, which exaggerates the video.
I have a feeling that all the straight swords have the same hitbox.

Still say the problem is less hitboxes more the active frames.

yeah they do have all the same hitbox of bullshit aka the same as UGS and greater than Greatswords

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Kild posted:

Well, we don't know exactly if that's her, after all the cage is already unlocked, and there's a mangrub nearby

Huh, there's also a dead mangrub in Irrithyl - in the water on the way to the distant manor. I have no idea why its there of all places (I thought maybe the grubs hatch into the water spiders at first, but that makes no sense) but I guess if they only show up in places associated with Gwynevere, that's interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's no way my pike has as much phantom range as a straight sword does.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Giant Isopod posted:

Huh, there's also a dead mangrub in Irrithyl - in the water on the way to the distant manor. I have no idea why its there of all places (I thought maybe the grubs hatch into the water spiders at first, but that makes no sense) but I guess if they only show up in places associated with Gwynevere, that's interesting.

It has Great heal.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
Someone watch and laugh at my video dammit, it's good, I swear

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

can you expand on this? what evidence is there to indicate this?

Amazing chest ahead

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Whoa it actually happened, after years of them saying it was gonna happen. I've done like three "last playthrough while the servers are still up" runs at this point.

PR manager for Atlus said on Twitter that they don't know what's happening and that it's being looked into. I would have expected an announcement if they were shutting it down. Fingers crossed in this time of crisis.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
What is the melee weapon with the longest range?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Should be the whips. Though they only seem to hit at maximum range for a very small amount of time.

Other than that id say a UGS stab or a pike/lance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Toady posted:

PR manager for Atlus said on Twitter that they don't know what's happening and that it's being looked into. I would have expected an announcement if they were shutting it down. Fingers crossed in this time of crisis.

Given the lack of announcement, I thought it might just be that the servers were just down for one reason or another. I hope that's the case and not just the PR person not having been told.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Should be the whips. Though they only seem to hit at maximum range for a very small amount of time.

Other than that id say a UGS stab or a pike/lance.

There's no way the pike has the most range. It reaches far but I've been outranged by some weapons like yorhm's machete.

EDIT: I don't think the PvE needs phantom range anywhere near as big as what is shown in that video.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 17, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regarding phantom range: I'm willing to bet we'd all miss it in PvE if it was gone. DS2 might not have needed it for one reason or another--or its lack might have been one of the factors that made some people (like me) not like how it feels to play--but I'd guess that DS3's PvE probably needs it to feel "right." People in the comments shouting for it to be "fixed" would probably not enjoy PvE as much if it was.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That must have to do with exaggerated step and lean in pikes have.
And imo yhorms is about as long as the FUGS, just with a little bit at the end that triggers stagger but without damage whereas the FUGS would hit.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 17, 2016

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
If I've gotten Yuria to show up but want to cure my hollowing ASAP, can I aggro her and just leave her angry until I feel leveled/skilled enough to beat her? Or will she still disappear once I leave the shrine even if she's aggressive?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Has anyone else played around much with Soul Stream? I've noticed that sometimes, especially when my target is higher or lower than my character, that it will knock people over without actually inflicting any damage. I've seen it happen in both pvp and pve.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Melanion posted:

If I've gotten Yuria to show up but want to cure my hollowing ASAP, can I aggro her and just leave her angry until I feel leveled/skilled enough to beat her? Or will she still disappear once I leave the shrine even if she's aggressive?

You can cure hollowing, she only gets pissed off if you remove your sigils. In fact that's what purging stones do and she herself sells those.

Or if you do ~~NPC sidequest related thing~~.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ponzicar posted:

Has anyone else played around much with Soul Stream? I've noticed that sometimes, especially when my target is higher or lower than my character, that it will knock people over without actually inflicting any damage. I've seen it happen in both pvp and pve.

Got a 99 INT to max things out with and that's just the way it works. Pain to aim but so rewarding when it hits right.

I've also experimented with pyromancies at that level and Chaos Bed Vestiges hitting a player right is a oneshot. Soul Stream is rolling away and healing what damage it did.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no way the pike has the most range. It reaches far but I've been outranged by some weapons like yorhm's machete.

EDIT: I don't think the PvE needs phantom range anywhere near as big as what is shown in that video.

A good bit of my botches in PvE are from barely wiffing attacks with a greatsword despite the existence of phantom range. "Haha, I shall finish off Oscerios!... I said, I shall finish off... *sword swings harmlessly behind back of knee* Maybe a leaping attack?"

Round 3's victory was as much learning when swinging a flamberge wouldn't count as not quite close enough because he was standing on a rock, than learning his pattern. Round 2's failure was my being too stubborn to stop trying to throw black firebombs at him after the 3rd or 4th time they harmlessly sailed under his body and just going back to trying to hit him for the finishing blow.

While netcode makes phantom range much more aggravating in PvP at times, PvE enemies can hit us through loving walls and floors, so the least we deserve is some wiggle room ourselves. "I'll bait the pus of man to come up these stairs, so I can sword fight them without being in the swamp *punched in the dick through entire stairway and platform from below* ow. Yes I totally deserved that for not remembering he can shove 90% of his character model through the geometry to get me."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 17, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GulagDolls posted:

then why doesn't every single weapon have moron phantom hitbox range. i can see where my weapon goes in this game too. do you have all of your eyes.

Are you saying that we need more eyes?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I have about 30 cracked eyes, I figure that will hold me over until I can kill a darkwraith for an uncracked one?

Note: This joke was way funnier in my head.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Soul stream is pretty terrible in pvp even with crown of dusk, scholar's candle, and the four magic rings (young+bellowing,sage, and magic clutch) because you'll never get it to hit. It only really works if you have another phantom to distract the host or they are stuck in a narrow corridor. I find the best way to get kills is to use great farron dart + crysal homing mass, it's great for killing people trying to estus. I still carry soul stream because it's fun as gently caress to shoot lazers even if nothing gets done.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I can't parry the abyss watchers to save my life, literally. :( I pulled it off once, but their moves are so erratic and weird in that annoying anime ballerina way that I can never really figure out what move's about to come next and when I can try to parry.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Subhazard posted:

Someone watch and laugh at my video dammit, it's good, I swear

it's nice. i chuckled

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cyberventurer posted:

I can't parry the abyss watchers to save my life, literally. :( I pulled it off once, but their moves are so erratic and weird in that annoying anime ballerina way that I can never really figure out what move's about to come next and when I can try to parry.

Try stabbing in the back

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

Don't parry them. They have 0 poise, just hit them out of most of their attacks and dodge the rest.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So for my Faux-laire NG+ I figured I'd sequence break and kill the Princes first.

Dancer? 1 try.
Oceiros? 1 try.

CHAMP?! :shepface: fuckin hell, after 20+ tries I had to summon Sword Master. I did NOT have this much trouble on NG. Absolutely no room for mistakes. Got kicked way too much. I'd know it was coming and just freeze up. Couldn't get the drat parry timing right. Died in like two hits each time.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Try stabbing in the back

Yeah, I know about that. I just wanted to learn how to parry them, that's all. I guess there's not much point in trying, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

So for my Faux-laire NG+ I figured I'd sequence break and kill the Princes first.

Dancer? 1 try.
Oceiros? 1 try.

CHAMP?! :shepface: fuckin hell, after 20+ tries I had to summon Sword Master. I did NOT have this much trouble on NG. Absolutely no room for mistakes. Got kicked way too much. I'd know it was coming and just freeze up. Couldn't get the drat parry timing right. Died in like two hits each time.

You can't get to the Princes until you kill all the other Lords of Cinder FYI. Grand Archives requires a key that isn't there until you do.