Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

wateroverfire posted:

We should get together and launch iComplain, a service that crowdsources your noise complaints so you can outsource your mildly unpleasant social interactions.
In my neighborhood a few people passive aggressively take it to the neighborhood facebook groups. It's hosed up but sometimes funny at least.

Based on my friends who bought a house before I did (p. much all of them), my #1 fear was having an awful neighbor. Leverage, no leverage, try to be reasonable or not; it's awful. Not arguing against mixed zoning or even Air BnB or talking with not-bad or even semi-bad neighbors or anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wateroverfire posted:

If you really feel like you need leverage and people are consistently being really loud in the unit you can always go to the landlord and say "I'd hate to bring the building management into this" or "Hey does the zoning board know you're running a hotel in this building?".

Isn't the bolded what you were just complaining about? That zoning laws were banning hotels in residential areas?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think that this thread is served by this US/international housing policy derail.

Quoting myself for the new page.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AirBnB is so stone-age

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/SF-startup-seeks-to-auction-off-rental-apartments-7467415.php

quote:

Rentberry initially intends to charge tenants a flat fee of $25 when the agreement is signed. But after the business is established in six months or so, it will instead require tenants to make monthly payments of one quarter of the extra rental income that the service generated for landlords.

Let's say a property that was listed for $2,000 a month was auctioned off for $2,075. The renter would have to pay Rentberry 25 percent of the $75 difference ($18.75) every month for as long as they keep the apartment.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Now that's what I call capitalism. Although basically it's just a normal letting agency that has really high fees.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

America is an awesome place.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
So, do the renters have to pay if they underbid as well?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Randler posted:

So, do the renters have to pay if they underbid as well?

As if underbidding would be allowed.

e: Wait no it says it is. I'd say that's more of a bug than a feature though. Probably there's a fee floor or something.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 16, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Unkempt posted:

I heard you guys liked tech geniuses so here's some TV to watch!

PURE GENIUS

APB

Holy poo poo these are fantastic, repackaging police and medical shows but somehow introducing a tech guy to run it. "We've got to DISRUPT and be the UBER of medicine, where we'll use cutting edge ALGRORITHMS to deliver UNCONVENTIONAL treatment when YOU need it."

Cue lengthy legal battles with the FDA, American Medical Association, etc.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
On topic : Rocket Internet isn't doing too well, with a 50% fall in share price amidst reports that they are slashing two thirds off the valuation of their most important company.

For those that don't know, Rocket Internet is a German company founded by brothers who managed to make big bucks off VCs & selling their companies to eBay and VeriSign. They've made millions from copying US startups in Europe and selling the copycat companies once the major US player decides to "go international".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There is a real need for a service better than Craigslist but not as exclusive as the MLS but all these companies just have to tack on stupid extra bullshit and ruin their offerings. Craigslist without Nigerian scams and bait and switch listings would be wonderful.

Also what are the odds they include arbitration in their user agreement so when the landlords mysteriously always reject the black guy's bid in favor of the lower bid from the less qualified white male they are SOL?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
My favorite quote from that article...

quote:

But its stock has sagged, as shareholders worry whether any of the start-ups in its portfolio will ever make money.
You don't say?! :bravo:

Unkempt posted:

APB 

LOGLINE: An enigmatic tech billionaire purchases a troubled police precinct in the wake of a loved one’s murder. Can this eccentric and enigmatic figure’s cutting edge approach fix the broken ways of these blue-blooded veterans? 
How does one purchase a police precinct and am I the only one who recoiled in horror upon reading that sentence?

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 17, 2016

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

cheese posted:

How does one purchase a police precinct and am I the only one who recoiled in horror upon reading that sentence?

I laughed out loud at the idea of "purchasing a police precinct." It's so adorably network TV, like that time on NCIS when they were "hacked" and fought back by having 2 people type at the same keyboard.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

MC Nietzche posted:

I laughed out loud at the idea of "purchasing a police precinct." It's so adorably network TV, like that time on NCIS when they were "hacked" and fought back by having 2 people type at the same keyboard.
I mean, the implementation of realistic technology on TV/movies is its own subject and in some ways more forgivable. Most people don't know what "hacking" looks like it and you could throw up an HTML editor of this browser page and most people would believe that you were haxing some poo poo. But a billionaire buying a police precinct? What the gently caress does that even mean? We may have transitioned to the age of Private Security Contractors, but I think the average viewer is going to squint a little when some tech rich wierdo purchases the local police force.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If it's possible, Bruce Wayne should do that. Then Batman wouldn't have to worry about the police getting in his way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think Batman would want to deal with the administration of a police force, it would interrupt his valuable posing, brooding, driving, and beating up victims of institutionalized violence time.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
It has a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbVnrOkcr8

Surprise, it's loving disgusting

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's as absurd as I'd hoped!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That is the worst idea I've ever seen, even by police procedural standards.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's ok for a capitalist to buy the police as long as it's the right capitalist and not some swarthy italians/jews/russians/etc

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cheese posted:

Pretty sure that was the premise behind Robocop 2 - Eternal Blue.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It was better when it was call Knight Rider.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
They should make a TV show about Mark Zuckerberg's Newark fiasco. Can one Tech billionaire's hubris and hypocrisy allow him to destroy America's schools one purchase at a time? Tune in to find out.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
They've started dumping a bunch of money into the Summit charter schools in the bay area now

Flash Gordon
May 8, 2006
Death To Ming
Uber has a new pilot program where you can get paid with a debit card. Would you be surprised to learn that this might not result in the best deal for the driver?

https://twitter.com/groditi/status/732417874627678210

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Unguided posted:

That is the worst idea I've ever seen, even by police procedural standards.

Cop Rock is slightly worse, but only by execution. Concept on this one is worse.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If this is a parody, I would watch it. As long as all the "blue-blooded veterans" tell the "enigmatic tech billionaire" stuff like "I'm too old for this poo poo." constantly.
Does "blue-blooded" mean something different in America? Because that reads like the police are all slumming aristocrats for some reason.

Not that that would make the show much stranger than it is already, I guess.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Flash Gordon posted:

Uber has a new pilot program where you can get paid with a debit card. Would you be surprised to learn that this might not result in the best deal for the driver?

https://twitter.com/groditi/status/732417874627678210

Haha oh god this is awful.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheese posted:

I mean, the implementation of realistic technology on TV/movies is its own subject and in some ways more forgivable. Most people don't know what "hacking" looks like it and you could throw up an HTML editor of this browser page and most people would believe that you were haxing some poo poo. But a billionaire buying a police precinct? What the gently caress does that even mean? We may have transitioned to the age of Private Security Contractors, but I think the average viewer is going to squint a little when some tech rich wierdo purchases the local police force.

"And law enforcement in [Chicago] was privatized and farmed out to..."
"WORLD MARSHAL! Yes! So what?"

That being said, I'd be totally okay with this show if the villain was a cyborg ninja who cut cops in half with a samurai sword :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

inkblot posted:

"And law enforcement in [Chicago] was privatized and farmed out to..."
"WORLD MARSHAL! Yes! So what?"

That being said, I'd be totally okay with this show if the villain was a cyborg ninja who cut cops in half with a samurai sword :v:

Kung Fury is already out you know.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zephro posted:

Does "blue-blooded" mean something different in America? Because that reads like the police are all slumming aristocrats for some reason.

Not that that would make the show much stranger than it is already, I guess.
https://www.cbs.com/shows/blue_bloods/ -- there's a cop show called "Blue Bloods" even though from what I can tell even here the expression means "old money families on the east coast"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's a cop thing, they "bleed blue" you know, like the uniform. I'm fully assuming that APB show will completely ignore that the reason the precinct was under budget in the first place is because of companies like the main character's not paying their taxes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

muscles like this? posted:

It's a cop thing, they "bleed blue" you know, like the uniform. I'm fully assuming that APB show will completely ignore that the reason the precinct was under budget in the first place is because of companies like the main character's not paying their taxes.

Obviously. Public services sprout from the fertile fields of Small Government, watered by the efficiency of private contractors.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 17, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey is your tech startup unprofitable? No problem. Just disrupt the generally accepted definition of profitable.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-16/tech-startups-come-up-with-some-creative-definitions-for-profitable

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Unkempt posted:

It has a trailer!

Holy poo poo, those weren't joke TV show premises? They are honest to god plots?

That trailer is amazing. "The app", "I'm an engineer."

Are americans really okay with the concept of someone buying a police precinct? Is this thing trying to be self aware or something?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Nemo posted:

Holy poo poo, those weren't joke TV show premises? They are honest to god plots?

That trailer is amazing. "The app", "I'm an engineer."

Are americans really okay with the concept of someone buying a police precinct? Is this thing trying to be self aware or something?
Well, you see, BIG GOVERNMENT was in DEBT so when this ENIGMATIC BILLIONAIRE with AN AXE TO GRIND offered HUGE SUMS OF MONEY...

Man, this is a Kelly comic waiting to happen.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

quote:

After all that careful math, SpoonRocket's contribution margin was 50 cents to $1 per order, Tsui said. The founders prepared a new pitch for investors highlighting this milestone. "We showed them, and they were just like, 'Oh my goodness, you guys spent $13 million to squeeze a $1 margin out of every order?'" Tsui recalled. SpoonRocket shut down in March and sold some assets to a food delivery company in Brazil.

:thumbsup:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Huh. I didn't even notice when SpoonRocket died. There are a *lot* of meal-delivery and ingredient-delivery services sprawling around at the moment.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

MC Nietzche posted:

It was one of the non-terrible elements of The Cape that the psychotic billionaire villain (well, one of his personalities) was running a private takeover of the police force. Non-terrible only in the context of a superhero show, let's not confuse it with actually good writing.

The other not-terrible element being the Carnival of Crime. I just love the Carnival of Crime, doubly so with the smooth voice of Keith Baker leading the crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Unkempt posted:

It has a trailer!

Wait the description of that wasn't like a satirical parody thing? gently caress me.