Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Jack the Lad posted:

Is Robigo still a thing, and in what form? Can you still abandon shadow deliveries and sell the cargo?

Yes, you can just sell the slaves there. You now get a fine equal to the market value of the slaves, which makes for an interesting bounty board there :v: I recommend a python for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
So with Force Cannons proving to be hilariously powerful, what's stopping me from pinballing people coming into and out of stations, aside from a respawn screen at times?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

So with Force Cannons proving to be hilariously powerful, what's stopping me from pinballing people coming into and out of stations, aside from a respawn screen at times?
Are any of the larger ships able to withstand station lasers for a little while? I'm thinking Batball out of Iain Bank's Excession novel, but using heavily shielded/armoured sidewinders as the balls and a coriolis as the hoop.

e: also, what's the story with mission payouts now in beta? Any significant improvements?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 15, 2016

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Chrysophylax posted:

Yes, you can just sell the slaves there. You now get a fine equal to the market value of the slaves, which makes for an interesting bounty board there :v: I recommend a python for this.

Cool, yeah - I'm doing it in a Python.

Can't find a way to make the Open board 'stick' but I'm making 47m/hr so far anyway.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

El Grillo posted:

Are any of the larger ships able to withstand station lasers for a little while? I'm thinking Batball out of Iain Bank's Excession novel, but using heavily shielded/armoured sidewinders as the balls and a coriolis as the hoop.

e: also, what's the story with mission payouts now in beta? Any significant improvements?

It is time for you to conduct an experiment wherein station laser tracking speed is compared and contrasted against upgraded small ship thrusters.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DreadLlama posted:

It is time for you to conduct an experiment wherein station laser tracking speed is compared and contrasted against upgraded small ship thrusters.

The lasers are only inside the docking area and the cowcatcher in front of the mailslot, I'm not sure you can ourtun their tracking speed but it's likely irrelevant because your only option at those speeds is to fly straight out of the station, otherwise you'll crash into a wall. Outside of the station are those giant autocannons which are easier to evade but also significantly more punishing if you do get hit.

Your best bet would probably be to sit near the cowcatcher in an iggle or something and try to bounce people into it so that they get stuck.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Wowwwww losing 3+ million worth of high res bounty hunting for the cg is a hell of a way to find out they don't persist through death and to always high jump out of interdictions when losing, godddaammnnnittt.

Think it's break time

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

The lasers are only inside the docking area and the cowcatcher in front of the mailslot, I'm not sure you can ourtun their tracking speed but it's likely irrelevant because your only option at those speeds is to fly straight out of the station, otherwise you'll crash into a wall. Outside of the station are those giant autocannons which are easier to evade but also significantly more punishing if you do get hit.

Your best bet would probably be to sit near the cowcatcher in an iggle or something and try to bounce people into it so that they get stuck.

Incorrect.

There are lasers around the exterior of the station as well. Capital class auto-cannons are on the face of the station only.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Eagle (mine) bomber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGyxVwtQFU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

That is loving hilarious and makes me hopeful for engineers content.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

That is a really stupid build.

But it would be fun as hell.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I tend to put shock mines on my roadrunner cobra so whoever is chasing me takes annoying noises to the face. If they're actually good now then :getin:

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Boogalo posted:

I tend to put shock mines on my roadrunner cobra so whoever is chasing me takes annoying noises to the face. If they're actually good now then :getin:

I'm having such wonderful flashbacks to what we did to that poor Corvette!

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

I like that you can collect materials after blowing people up now, just wish it wasn't so tedious. A tractor beam like the one in Freelancer would be great.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tunah posted:

I like that you can collect materials after blowing people up now, just wish it wasn't so tedious. A tractor beam like the one in Freelancer would be great.

:same:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Limpet controller. There's your tractor beam.

The space pirates won't try to kill you for carrying limpets anymore.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Some people might look at that as a crummy module tax, especially if you prefer to run around in a smaller ship with few slots to spare. Then again, the ships worst impacted probably can't fit much cargo space anyway.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
It's probably intended to encourage flying something other than a vulture in combat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
But the Vulture owns (I just got one).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, having to take up two module slots just to pick up space debris is unfortunate.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I think it makes sense for the Vulture to be ill-suited to salvaging (despite the name :v:).

The problem is that without a robust system for collecting, storing, and transporting cargo independently of your personal ship it becomes a pain to get both your Vulture and the cargo in the same place at the same time for upgrading.

I think it was Independence War 2 that had an NPC you could call in to scoop up salvage for you. Really cool game and I'd like to be able to call in an AI controlled type-6 or something to do the same thing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That's true. The Vulture is a great interceptor, if you want a hybrid with some cargo space, go with something less focused.

Or fly with a friend!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Just about everything you get from exploding poo poo goes in your material storage.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DreadLlama posted:

It's probably intended to encourage flying something other than a vulture in combat.

But most smaller "combat" ships than the Vulture have less module capacity :confused:

EDIT: I Courier may have one more slot, but it also tops out at Class 3.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 16, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The vulture is quite power hungry. You really need to watch your power when flying it. The iCourier on the other hand can be much more free with its power usage. With 2.1 you might be able to go a little more free with power and modules with the Vulture. 2x beam lasers would tear apart things.

But I have a FAS now, and that does beam lasers quite easily.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just about everything you get from exploding poo poo goes in your material storage.

You still need a cargo hold to store the limpets, though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I just dont have very good luck with the frags, so I hope to go for the M-M-M-MEGA VULCAN setup on my FAS with a Beam to shield strip too. Hopefully the ammo will last a good while :(

EDIT: Can I not buy Horizons on its own now? Its priced at 37 bucks on Steam, with Elite itself being 30 and only available in a merged-format.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

I just dont have very good luck with the frags, so I hope to go for the M-M-M-MEGA VULCAN setup on my FAS with a Beam to shield strip too. Hopefully the ammo will last a good while :(

Cannons are getting a big buff, so they'll be another option. Their flight speed is increasing a ton and they'll have reduced (or no?) damage fall-off at range. Still won't be great for popping Eagles, but big, slow stuff will be prime targets

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Shine posted:

Cannons are getting a big buff, so they'll be another option. Their flight speed is increasing a ton and they'll have reduced (or no?) damage fall-off at range. Still won't be great for popping Eagles, but big, slow stuff will be prime targets

I need at least 6 huge hardpoints on my vette for all of my plans..
This will get expensive.. and the material grind for upgrades will be brutal :P

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

EDIT: Can I not buy Horizons on its own now? Its priced at 37 bucks on Steam, with Elite itself being 30 and only available in a merged-format.

If memory serves, there is no "on its own" for Horizons. When you get Horizons, you're basically rebuying ED. They had a discount for existing ED owners when Horizons first launched, but I think that's done now. Check the ED website to be sure.

Frontier has an unconventional (to put it politely) way of listing their products. Not only is the Horizons expansion a re-purchase of the base game instead of an expansion/DLC in the usual sense, but they also call it the "Horizons Season Pass." A season pass implies that it is a pre-purchase of all DLC content instead of a la carte, but since there's no way to buy only some of the Horizons content, it comes off like they're just using "season pass" because somebody in marketing read the term online and said "we should have one of those."

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Shine posted:

If memory serves, there is no "on its own" for Horizons. When you get Horizons, you're basically rebuying ED. They had a discount for existing ED owners when Horizons first launched, but I think that's done now. Check the ED website to be sure.

Frontier has an unconventional (to put it politely) way of listing their products. Not only is the Horizons expansion a re-purchase of the base game instead of an expansion/DLC in the usual sense, but they also call it the "Horizons Season Pass." A season pass implies that it is a pre-purchase of all DLC content instead of a la carte, but since there's no way to buy only some of the Horizons content, it comes off like they're just using "season pass" because somebody in marketing read the term online and said "we should have one of those."

You can't buy Horizons by itself anymore. You can buy Elite Dangerous: Deluxe which includes Horizons (and the pilot starter pack) on Steam for cheaper than buying just Elite and Horizons seperately.

They changed it because it was confusing to people, thinking you had to buy Elite all over again to get Horizons.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They backpedaled on that, though. Horizons is now treated as a more traditional expansion/DLC for the base game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah it's on Steam right now as DLC for $37.99.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

LCL-Dead posted:

Incorrect.

There are lasers around the exterior of the station as well. Capital class auto-cannons are on the face of the station only.

You'll have to point them out to me because I have never seen them.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

Of course you don't see them when they are retracted

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Astroniomix posted:

IAmTheRad posted:

Of course you don't see them when they are retracted

lol if you haven't stationcamped while copmurdering

Also I keep finding tiny rock moons with "Candidate for terraforming" even one with no atmosphere :psyduck:

Shadow_333
May 2, 2016

Groggy nard posted:

Also I keep finding tiny rock moons with "Candidate for terraforming" even one with no atmosphere :psyduck:

Guess that in 3302 an atmosphere is not required for terraforming.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The atmosphere is stored inside the planet, you just need to start the reactor.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Groggy nard posted:

I have never been fired at by lasers from a station while outside of it. Not saying they aren't there, but if they are they aren't worth mentioning because they don't protect anywhere important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

There are two lasers inside the mail slot, but the majority of the exterior armament is bigass cannons.

• Locked thread