Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jesus this is loving depressing. Can we get back to suicide, that actually was almost wistful in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Karma Monkey posted:

I am never surprised when someone commits suicide which might in itself be a symptom of depression. :ohdear:

Not depression, but being desensitized to that kind of thing is sadly becoming the norm. Suicides happen so often that people usually give a half-hearted apology or condolences, then it's back to life as usual a day or so later. I think it's scarier that our health system in general, especially mental health, is so hosed that people feel the only alternative is taking their own life because nobody else can/will help them :smith:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The thing that confuses me the most about the Throneberry story is that she looks nothing like a kid in any of the photos they showed of her in the late 90's. I would place her at mid 30's at best. How could so many people have fallen for it? I won't speak to it because maybe she did a better job of makeup or something to look younger but the pictures make it look like some kind of comedy where an adult trys to go back to high school.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Endbringer posted:

Well I don't know about you, but when I leave money in a motel room to pay for the extra nights after I hang myself, I ALWAYS make sure to make the note as detailed and eloquent as possible eg
"Dear sirs and madams,
How are you? I am not well, haha.
The one-hundred US dollars you see before you is to pay the fee for the supposed length of time between now and when you find me.
I didn't want there to be any confusion!
Sincerely, the dead guy in the closet."

Not just "For the room," that could mean ANYTHING!

there's literally a george carlin bit about this

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus this is loving depressing. Can we get back to suicide, that actually was almost wistful in comparison.

im gonna kill myself by doin a whole bunch of cocaine and jerking off so hard that my heart explodes out of my chest

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Literally The Worst posted:

im gonna kill myself by doin a whole bunch of cocaine and jerking off so hard that my heart explodes out of my chest

Make sure you leave a note that says "FOR THE GOON"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Let's get back to some old-fashioned creepiness. This story about how NYC's poorest dead end up dumped anonymously in mass graves comes courtesy of the New York Times, who had to send a drone to get video of Hart Island when the city wouldn't let them get close.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/15/nyregion/new-york-mass-graves-hart-island.html

quote:

Twice a week or so, loaded with bodies boxed in pine, a New York City morgue truck passes through a tall chain-link gate and onto a ferry that has no paying passengers. Its destination is Hart Island, an uninhabited strip of land off the coast of the Bronx in Long Island Sound, where overgrown 19th-century ruins give way to mass graves gouged out by bulldozers and the only pallbearers are jail inmates paid 50 cents an hour.

There, divergent life stories come to the same anonymous end.

No tombstones name the dead in the 101-acre potter’s field that holds Leola Dickerson, who worked as one family’s housekeeper for 50 years, beloved by three generations for her fried chicken and her kindness. She buried her husband as he had wished, in a family plot back in Alabama. But when she died at 88 in a New York hospital in 2008, she was the ward of a court-appointed guardian who let her house go into foreclosure and her body go unclaimed at the morgue.

By law, her corpse became city property, to be made available as a cadaver for dissection or embalming practice if a medical school or mortuary class wanted it. Then, like more than a million men, women and children since 1869, she was consigned to a trench on Hart Island.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The thing that confuses me the most about the Throneberry story is that she looks nothing like a kid in any of the photos they showed of her in the late 90's. I would place her at mid 30's at best. How could so many people have fallen for it? I won't speak to it because maybe she did a better job of makeup or something to look younger but the pictures make it look like some kind of comedy where an adult trys to go back to high school.

I don't know, overweight girls especially can look older than they are. If she had the awkward teenager body language down I can see how people could just think she's a bit unfortunate-looking. Up close you could probably tell by her face, but who notices a teenager with weird skin?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, I've looked mid-20's since I was about 15. I was mistaken for my dad's girlfriend/spouse more than once in high school, by adults you'd think would know better. (He was a teacher.)

Until they started cracking down on it here, I had never been carded. Not even the day after my birthday. :smith:

Also, I wonder how many people did think she looked too old, but didn't say anything because they didn't want to upset her or look bad if they turned out to be wrong? It seems like the kind of thing you'd want to be really sure about before you confronted anyone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do you stay current on being a teenager is what I want to know. It seems like it would be very easy to screw things up. Like, even developmentally her thinking has to be clearer than actual teenagers. I'd worry about mentioning pogs or something and screwing it up.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jack Gladney posted:

How do you stay current on being a teenager is what I want to know. It seems like it would be very easy to screw things up. Like, even developmentally her thinking has to be clearer than actual teenagers. I'd worry about mentioning pogs or something and screwing it up.

Nearly every teenager wonders this too. I know I did. A huge chunk of teen social interaction involves pretending to be cool while secretly fearing having someone call you out.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Literally The Worst posted:

my nigga, have you tried LSD

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Just ran across this one. Old, but good. Former NY Times reporter interviews the death-row murderer who once stole his identity:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a6836/christian-longo-0110/

quote:

When Christian Longo asked if I wanted to watch him die, I told him I did.

He asked me this over the phone, calling collect from inside his prison cell — the yellow cordless passed down the line, cell to cell, hands reaching through bars — on death row at the Oregon State Penitentiary. The reason he wanted to die, he said, was fairly simple. After half a decade spent sealed inside a white concrete box for more than twenty-one hours a day, with only other murderers as neighbors and with no hope of ever again seeing the outside world, he'd had enough. He was sick of prison and sick of himself, and he thought there might be a way to make his death meaningful. So he was dropping his appeals, he told me, and would likely be executed, by lethal injection, in a matter of months.

Why he was calling me — and why I wanted to watch him die — was not so simple. By the time I received this call, last February, as I was watching a Dora the Explorer video with my children early on a Saturday evening, I'd known Christian Longo for seven years. In all this time I'd never been able to make sense of him, to reconcile the bright and dryly funny person I knew (he calls the yellow cordless his "cell" phone), the guy I sometimes referred to as my friend, with the man who'd been convicted of the most unimaginable of crimes. In 2001 he had strangled his wife and two-year-old daughter inside their condominium on the Oregon coast, stuffed them in suitcases, and sunk them in a bay. Then he drove his four-year-old son and three-year-old daughter to a nearby bridge, tied rocks to their legs, and tossed them into frigid water, alive.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I always wonder about the compromises the writers of these longform articles make. The reporter calls the killer delusional or in denial, but he's feeding his family and building a resume with the attention he chooses to give a man he says he despises. I have to wonder whether he's ever really thought about that.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Was writing up this post for the PYF Historical Facts thread, but realized that it's actually the PYF Fun Historical Facts thread, and these aren't acctually any fun at all. They're unnerving though, so here's a couple of examples of just how loving easy it used to be for white people to murder and/or maim black people on grounds such as 'he looked at me funny' and suffer no negative consequences:

quote:

Mary Turner - On 16th May 1918, a notoriously abusive planter named Hampton Smith was shot to death on his plantation outside Valdosta, Georgia, by Sidney Johnson, a black worker who Smith had beaten several times previously. Johnson fled the area to avoid a gathering lynch mob which, denied their original target, went on a several-day rampage that killed around a dozen people. One of their victims was another black man, Hayes Turner, who had previously argued with Smith. The mob 'convicted' him of conspiracy in Smith's death, and lynched.

Turner's wife, Mary, 21 years old and 8 months pregnant, publicly denied that Hayes had been involved in Smith's death, and protested to the local sheriff that the men who murdered her husband should be jailed.

Three days later, a mob numbering several hundred dragged Mary Turner from her home, and took her to a nearby bridge. There, they tied her ankles, hung her upside down, doused her in motor oil, and set her alight.

In reporting the story, the AP said that Mary Turner had made "unwise remarks" and that "the people, in their indignant mood, took exception to her remarks, as well as her attitude". An investigation named 2 suspected mob instigators and 15 active participants, but no charges were ever brought.

Isaac Woodard -- Woodard served in the US army in WW2, and reached the rank of sergeant. Returning from the war, he was honorably discharged in Georgia on February 12th 1946, and caught a bus to his family home in North Carolina. At a stop en route Woodard asked the driver if there was time to use the restroom the driver 'cursed' at him, and Woodard 'cursed' back. When the bus reached Batesburg, South Carolina, the driver called the police, who beat Woodard with a nightstick, arrested him for disorderly conduct, and dragged him off to the local jail.

That night, Batesburg chief of police Linwood Shull assaulted Woodard in his cell, beating him around the face with such ferocity that he was left blind (some accounts at the time said that Shull had gouged his eyes out, but in fact he had merely beaten his face so badly that both eye globes 'ruptured irreparably in their sockets'. He also suffered from temporary amnesia. The following morning Woodard was brought before a judge, who fined him $50 for disorderly conduct. Although Woodard complained that he couldn't see and was suffering from mental confusion, it took two days for a doctor to be called and a further three weeks for his family to track him down and take him home, where it was confirmed that his blindness was permanent.

Eight months later, a public outcry led by the unlikely combination of Orson Welles and Woodie Guthrie led to a federal prosecution of Linwood Shull. The prosecutor acted incompetently, as though they weren't interested in a conviction, and interviewed no-one involved except the bus driver. Shull's defense attorney referred to Woodard as 'the friend of the family' in court, said that the case threatened the women and children of the state, and told the all-white jury "if you rule against Shull, let this South Carolina secede again".

The jury acquitted Shull in less than 30 minutes. The courtroom burst into applause at the verdict. The presiding judge, Julius Waring, was so outraged at the injustice that he became a civil rights advocate, for which he was disowned by his friends and family. Linwood Shull lived to be 95, and never suffered any punishment for his role in the case.

Woodrow Wilson Daniels - Daniels, a grocer's assistant, was arrested Yalobusha County, Mississippi, in June of 1958 for drunk diving, and sent to the county jail. There, he was repeatedly assaulted with a 10-inch blackjack by the county sheriff, JG 'Buster' Treloar. After Daniels's wife bailed him out, he was sent to a hospital in Memphis, where he died of a subdural hemorrhage. An autopsy attributed this to the severe head injuries he had suffered.

Treloar was tried for manslaughter in the courtroom of Justice Curtis Swango who had previously presided over the Emmet Till trial; the jury was all-white. The prosecution called Daniels's (white) employer, who said that he had seen the sheriff enter Daniels's cell and that the sounds of a beating had followed. They called a (white) doctor who had been called to the jail, who said that he had seen the sheriff kick Daniels as he lay on the floor and curse at him.

The jury took 24 minutes to find Treloar not guilty. When the verdict was announced, the defense lawyer joked "Why that jury knew that you can't kill a friend of the family by hitting him on the head. You gotta hit him on the heel!". Treloar walked to the evidence stand, pocketed his blackjack, and said "Now, by God, I can get back to rounding up bootleggers and niggers". Daniels's wife and children left the state shortly after the trial. Treloar remained a respected member of the community up to his death in 2006.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Phew, it's a good thing that cops can't kill black people for no reason and get away with it with nothing but outrage from other black people that will promptly be ignored these days, eh!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ben Murphy posted:

The promixmity of the 9/11 attacks, his non-American heritage, and the address for a random hotel in Idaho that no one there noticed him at just make the whole thing so bizarre.
just wanted to say :lol:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

AnonSpore posted:

Phew, it's a good thing that cops can't kill black people for no reason and get away with it with nothing but outrage from other black people that will promptly be ignored these days, eh!

Oh, definitely :sigh:. I hate that we have to call something as basic as mobs no longer being able to publicly torture and murder people and then pose for celebratory pictures with the bodies 'progress', but here we are.
Edit: Or actual loving US senators who publicly boast about killing black people and enforcing white supremacy in all aspects of their state.

Apraxin has a new favorite as of 06:00 on May 17, 2016

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Apraxin posted:

Was writing up this post for the PYF Historical Facts thread, but realized that it's actually the PYF Fun Historical Facts thread, and these aren't acctually any fun at all. They're unnerving though, so here's a couple of examples of just how loving easy it used to be for white people to murder and/or maim black people on grounds such as 'he looked at me funny' and suffer no negative consequences:

Never look up Jesse Washington. Never ever look up Jesse Washington. loving hell, they sold a postcard of that. Lynching postcards and "souvenirs" (fingers, bits of clothing) were not unusual, but that one was :nms: a postcard of a heavily mutilated body and burned man front of a huge crowd of people :nms: Oddly enough, Waco just had a story Sunday about the anniversary of his death. Warning: Near the end of the article is one of the pictures.

Every now and then, when I can stomach it, I go back and try to do a bit of lynching research. Numbers have been released as have a few victim lists. Even the contemporary numbers were way off until the 1920s or so. The Mary Turner lynching is brutal, but pretty par for the course. Lynchers weren't above shooting or hanging young teens. Even when justice was being served, as in that a suspect was arrested and jailed, it wasn't uncommon for the sheriff to be lured away and held up for his keys or the jail's doors to be battered down. One group in a bit of research I found burned the jail.

As said, "offenses" ran the gamut to bodily harm with a weapon, a whole lot of suspected rapes/looking at white women funny to handing out subversive material to trying to get out of sharecropping.

I wouldn't know where to begin to look for it again as it's newspaper archives and not a particular website, but Louisiana was, uh, more creative. I can't recall exact details, but one victim was tied up and stuffed inside the carcass of a cow, with just his head sticking out. He was to be left there, to let nature make his death as drawn out and painful as possible.

The south thought it was being persecuted for the lynchings and southern newspapers of the 1890s-1910s really loved pointing out when a rare lynching happened up north, especially when a victim was female. With communication improving by leaps and bounds and a few political figures finally voicing their opinions within their states, it seems that lynching finally began to taper off in the 1920s. Of course as Emmett Till proves, it didn't exactly go away.

It was very rare for there to be a conviction, even when it was the high profile lynching of white Jewish businessman Leo Frank and the whole town of Marietta, Georgia, was in on the secret.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
My gf and I are historians. She writes about riots/uprisings with racial elements. I often write about Southern lynchings and honor killings. Our work talk is really truly awful and depressing.

The American past can be awful.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Apraxin posted:

It's poo poo like this that makes me look at all the people talking about how all muslims are dangerous thugs and should be happy to become part of our civilization and wonder "you really don't know what shits we are, do you?"

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Cross-posted from... I think the OSHA thread, sorry whoever I stole it from, but relevant.
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/13/406243272/im-from-philly-30-years-later-im-still-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-move-bombing

After trying to evict a radical group in Philadelphia for years, the police finally move in with military equipment. A shootout ensues and the police firebomb the building, killing 6 adults and five children. The only people ever prosecuted were the two survivors.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

RNG posted:

Cross-posted from... I think the OSHA thread, sorry whoever I stole it from, but relevant.
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/05/13/406243272/im-from-philly-30-years-later-im-still-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-move-bombing

After trying to evict a radical group in Philadelphia for years, the police finally move in with military equipment. A shootout ensues and the police firebomb the building, killing 6 adults and five children. The only people ever prosecuted were the two survivors.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/john-africa Here's an episode of a podcast that covers all sorts of bizarre things from american history, a fair few of which could probably go in this very thread, that covers the origins of MOVE all the way through to the aftermath of the Philadelphia bombing, if anyone is curious.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The weird thing about the American past is that there are people who are considered "white" today who 120 years ago were very much minorities and treated very, very poorly. Like poo poo, the largest mass lynching in US history wasn't white people going after black people, it was a mob of thousands breaking into a jail and murdering 11 Italians who were standing trial for a murder, some of who had already been acquitted. You had national newspapers running headlines like "Chief Hennessy Avenged...Italian Murderers Shot Down" and "New Orleans Arose to Meet the Curse".

Full disclaimer I'm no history expert and have only skimmed this stuff, mostly because my grandfather has told me stories of poo poo he had to put up with back in the early 1900s having immigrated here as a kid and growing up in the US, poo poo like him getting in an accident with another car because it was nighttime and the guy had his lights off, and when he got out of the car and told the guy he was responsible for running without lights, the guy just flicked them on and said something to the effect of "you're a dago, no cop will ever believe you". Also some poo poo with the KKK and death threats for taking white people's jobs (the KKK targeted Italians too). He was the only one of his brothers to not join the Mafia, and the only one to live past 40, mostly because he managed to get a good job doing manual labor but his brothers couldn't find other employment because they were Italian. I didn't really believe him until I started reading up on some of the poo poo that used to go down.

The USA has serious problems with racism today, but goddamn it does not hold a candle to racism from 100 years ago.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

joshtothemaxx posted:

My gf and I are historians. She writes about riots/uprisings with racial elements. I often write about Southern lynchings and honor killings. Our work talk is really truly awful and depressing.

So, instead of regular dates you guys just read eachother's work and then quietly sit on the couch and try not to cry.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

cash crab posted:

So, instead of regular dates you guys just read eachother's work and then quietly sit on the couch and try not to cry.

That's hot

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ranbo das posted:

The USA has serious problems with racism today, but goddamn it does not hold a candle to racism from 100 years ago.
Consider that through most of human history "Let's kill those guys, they aren't us and the hunting is slightly better where they live" was completely normal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

joshtothemaxx posted:

"Honor killings" as in "murdered his wife and her lover", or other kinds of honor as well?

ranbo das posted:

The weird thing about the American past is that there are people who are considered "white" today who 120 years ago were very much minorities and treated very, very poorly. Like poo poo, the largest mass lynching in US history wasn't white people going after black people, it was a mob of thousands breaking into a jail and murdering 11 Italians who were standing trial for a murder, some of who had already been acquitted. You had national newspapers running headlines like "Chief Hennessy Avenged...Italian Murderers Shot Down" and "New Orleans Arose to Meet the Curse".
You missed out on the Tulsa race riot of 1921. The NAACP's representative estimated it as "50 whites and between 150 and 200 Negroes". The white-owned local newspaper called it 9 whites and 68 (later amended to 21) black people. The entire Greenwood district, where most black people lived, was destroyed. Military resources were used against black neighborhoods. Tying back into the MOVE bombing,

quote:

Numerous witness accounts described airplanes carrying white assailants, who fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes, and fleeing families. The planes, six biplane two-seater trainers left over from World War I, were dispatched from the nearby Curtiss-Southwest Field outside Tulsa. Law enforcement officials later stated that the planes were to provide reconnaissance and protect against a "Negro uprising". Eyewitness accounts and testimony from the survivors maintained that on the morning of June 1, the planes dropped incendiary bombs and fired rifles at black residents on the ground.

I had forgotten that in the summer of '68 (I was nine) there were several of what were then called "race riots". Now we just call them "riots", even when racially motivated.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Honor killings" as in "murdered his wife and her lover", or other kinds of honor as well?

A lot of them involve daughters who are maybe a little too modernized for their father's taste. Like if they want to date before they're given permission or if they date the wrong person.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

theflyingorc posted:

Consider that through most of human history "Let's kill those guys, they aren't us and the hunting is slightly better where they live" was completely normal.

But "those guys" could fight back, or they could negotiate or trade or whatever; tribal societies' relationships are way more complex than you're giving them credit for. The kind of violence the thread is talking about is a product of pluralistic, civilized societies, where you have a majority population who dominate the institutions of authority and decide what counts as legitimate use of violence.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You missed out on the Tulsa race riot of 1921. The NAACP's representative estimated it as "50 whites and between 150 and 200 Negroes". The white-owned local newspaper called it 9 whites and 68 (later amended to 21) black people. The entire Greenwood district, where most black people lived, was destroyed. Military resources were used against black neighborhoods. Tying back into the MOVE bombing

The Tulsa Riot really exposes the thinking that "black people should just work harder and make their community better if they don't want to live in poverty in a ghetto. We're not racist, they're just not taking opportunities!!!!!!! :bahgawd:" for the BS that it is. The black community in Tulsa was thriving, middle-class, safe and affluent - so affluent that the white population got either a) scared or b) jealous and burned it down.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You missed out on the Tulsa race riot of 1921. The NAACP's representative estimated it as "50 whites and between 150 and 200 Negroes". The white-owned local newspaper called it 9 whites and 68 (later amended to 21) black people. The entire Greenwood district, where most black people lived, was destroyed. Military resources were used against black neighborhoods. Tying back into the MOVE bombing,

I had forgotten that in the summer of '68 (I was nine) there were several of what were then called "race riots". Now we just call them "riots", even when racially motivated.

Yeah, the thing I was reading explicitly said it didn't include "riots". Basically a lynching was defined as targeting specific people, while riots targeted relatively indiscriminately. In addition to the one you linked you could throw in the Chinese Massacre, the East St. Louis Riots and just the Red Summer as larger acts of violence against minorities.

I guess my point was more that we def have problems with race today, but we've come pretty far in the past couple generations with some ethnic groups going from "lynched on the street" to "just normal people". Black people still get the lovely end of the stick, but Italians, Irish, Chinese and other groups are just pretty solidly in the "nobody but the most hardcore of racists have any issues with them" camp, so maybe that can happen with everyone.

I mean I know it won't because I'm not naive, but it would be cool if it did.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

theflyingorc posted:

It still is, though?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FourLeaf posted:

XOJane may be one of the worst websites in the entire world. I don't know how brain dead their editors are to have okayed an article like this:

If it helps anyone sleep better, most of the articles on sites like xojane are fiction penned by aspiring writers trying to make a quick buck. The more ludicrous, the better--those sites will gladly pay third parties for completely ridiculous stuff like this because it means more clicks/shares/ad impressions/whatever and no liability whatsoever on their part if someone calls bullshit.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
This is from a few pages back, but thanks for the Texas Monthly links. What a cool magazine. I'm from a state in a completely different region so none of it is personally relevant especially when it's deep into TX politics but man there are some good articles by some great writers on there. Anyone from tx have some recommendations for longform articles I should start with?

I've probably seen it around before but the name reminds me of those "magazines" people leave in seatback pockets on planes, like ~fort worth weekly~ or ~coastal living~ where it's just longform ads for expensive new restaurants and appliance shops in whatever city they publish in. Looks like they don't have any pulitzers of much circulation outside of TX but this is a pretty impressive page at first glance.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

life is a joke posted:

Anyone from tx have some recommendations for longform articles I should start with?

Basically just read everything with Skip Hollandsworth's name on it.

Texas Monthly is like a Texan version of Vanity Fair, it's an actual magazine with decent writers and big-name photographers. They don't get Annie Leibovitz, but a couple of their regular shooters are mentioned in photojournalism classes; I'd assume the writers are of a similar caliber.

(Full disclosure: my college photo prof occasionally played hooky to shoot for Texas Monthly; he had some hilarious personal anecdotes about the people mentioned in the textbook).

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Texas Monthly is definitely one of "those" magazines, about 75% ads for high end real estate, $700 belt buckles, etc., I never would have even looked at it were it not in waiting rooms state wide. Like the post above says, it's basically Vanity Fair or any other big, glossy magazine. There's usually one, maybe two things worth reading in any given issue, but when it's good it's GOOD. I'm just thankful they seem to be doing well enough from the print version that site isn't pay walled or flooded with ads. They have a section on Longform.org, a lot is recent, but some go all the way back to 1976. A lot of true crime, but even the culture articles are interesting. There's a pretty famous article about Candy Barr (I would try and sum up her story, but wouldn't come close to doing her justice) that I highly recommend even though the author has some pretty questionable phrasing.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Honor killings meaning men who murder other men because of some perceived slight. An example would be this case I'm researching right now where a railroad conductor shot and killed a railroad business owner for supposedly spreading rumors about the conductor's character. Mostly bull poo poo about how the conductor would try to bang women on his trains, including the owner's daughters.

Either way, this all happened in Virginia in the 1890s. The conductor shot him dead in the lobby of a hotel and was eventually acquitted by reason of self defense... Because he was defending his "character" you see. Basically it was a way for the courts to continue allowing duels, lynchings, and honor killings even though the VA governor mandated they be stamped out immediately in 1893.

And funny you mention Tulsa, race riots, and the weird language we use to discuss these events. That's what the gf's recently completed dissertation was on, the public memory of so-called race riots. There was recently a big hubbub in Memphis over the language to be used on a historic marker. Spoiler alert: the Tennessee state office were being buttholes. Link: http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/05/02/476450908/in-memphis-a-divide-over-how-to-remember-a-massacre-150-years-later

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pookel posted:

Just ran across this one. Old, but good. Former NY Times reporter interviews the death-row murderer who once stole his identity:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a6836/christian-longo-0110/

They made a movie out of this with James Franco and Jonah Hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm sorry to keep posting child abuse stuff, but that's what I've been reading. I can stop if anyone's sick of it. I ran across this one recently and can't get it out of my head:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Survivor-of-childhood-abuse-moves-forward-by-7224850.php

Twenty-four-year-old former abuse victim Amy Beebe talks about her life and what happened on the day her brother died. They and another brother were triplets who had been adopted by a woman who starved and beat them, along with another adopted child. All had some level of special needs. One day when the triplets were 8, she'd been hurting them so badly that they started discussing ways to escape. Her brother Joseph came up with the idea that if they could provoke her to kill just one of them, the cops would have to get involved and the others would be rescued.

quote:

At first, Joseph's siblings resisted, but nobody could figure another way out, Amy said.

"Who should be the one to die?" she asked.

Each child volunteered.

Joseph said that he didn't think he could last much longer, as he was already experiencing seizures. "It should be me."

Amy said she burst into tears, and the boys called her a "baby."
Joseph intentionally wet his pants and had his siblings rat him out; she beat him unconscious and then called 911 when he stopped breathing. The other siblings were rescued and their adoptive parents and oldest brother were all arrested. I keep re-reading this and wondering if it was STDH - if she imagined the conversation after the fact as a way to deal with her brother's death. But it's clear she believed it, and she testified to it in court at her adoptive mother's trial. The mom got 75 years - the maximum possible.

The triplets' other adoptive brother, who'd been abused with them, died of complications of his ongoing medical issues at 19. Amy's surviving brother lives in a group home and doesn't like to talk about what happened, but they remain very close. Meanwhile, there is a little bit of a happy ending: she just got her first apartment and a cat, and she recently got in touch with her birth mother - who didn't want to give them up, but was going to prison for drug charges - and met some of her birth family.

quote:

"I am so proud of her," said Ingrid Anderson, the foster parent with whom Beebe lived for 11 years before moving out on her own. "Lot of others would wind up on drugs or pregnant and crumble. But she remains steadfast and positive."