Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is there a podcast that resembles You Must Remember this, like lecture based instead of conversational, but for the music industry? Just various band's stories, biographies, politics and stuff like that. There was a little of that in the Charles Manson series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I really don't get his early Johnny Gosch episodes...like, these are mostly wacko conspiracy theories from a grieving mother, right? Not too different from the creepy ep about the mother whose daughter (clearly) commits suicide but instead she creates elaborate conspiracy theories...but unlike that one he's seemingly presenting all the Gosch stuff straight up?
Like he's just like...AND YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
Soooo is this stuff actually credible or did he just decide to skip fact check/scrutiny especially for those two episodes? It's confusing and weirding me out and obviously online research on the subject isn't really elucidating anything.

Yeah, I really wish I had started that podcast from the beginning because the fact that right out the bat he completely uncritically presented an 80s ritual child abuse story that started with the cops and reached all the very top of a political party when only actual evidence were the testimony from a severaly mentally ill man in an institution and a grieving mother with an axe to grind would have been enough of a red flag to drop it then and there.

He also did an entire episode about how H.H. Holmes was Jack the Ripper, based entirely on a guy who claimed to be a direct descendant of H.H. Holmes and had been passed down his diary which explained everything but he couldn't actually let anybody see it or read it because mumble mumble and was selling a book he was writing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Recently checked out kings fall AM and Archive 81. Both are entertaining radio dramas. I recommend them if that is your thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I really wish I had started that podcast from the beginning because the fact that right out the bat he completely uncritically presented an 80s ritual child abuse story that started with the cops and reached all the very top of a political party when only actual evidence were the testimony from a severaly mentally ill man in an institution and a grieving mother with an axe to grind would have been enough of a red flag to drop it then and there.

He also did an entire episode about how H.H. Holmes was Jack the Ripper, based entirely on a guy who claimed to be a direct descendant of H.H. Holmes and had been passed down his diary which explained everything but he couldn't actually let anybody see it or read it because mumble mumble and was selling a book he was writing.
It's weird as gently caress, because it's clearly a situation where the mother's story is as spurious as the Morgan Ingram case, yet unlike that one he didn't seem to feel like doing his due critical thinking diligence? But yeah, basically any ep where he brings on some yokel with a true crime book is a bad ep.

Human Tornada posted:

I figured it was mostly bullshit (Gosch's mom is clearly mentally.... something) but it was hung on framework of real events and at least someone believes it's real so I enjoyed it immensely either way.

Kinda like that show TV show Gigolos. It's mostly staged but my man Brace is a real dude out there so sweating how "real" it is seems dumb when you can just go with it.
What with the newest episode being about the Bjork Stalker it straight up feels like this dude is just lazy as gently caress and wants topics that have long infamous internet videos/recordings he can sample for a majority of the episode. Like, I feel uneasy listening to this episode because knowing this crazy motherfucker I can't be too sure how much of the video he's sampling and I don't want to be listening to an episode and suddenly hear the Bjork Stalker blowing his brains out or something. I know he often relies on recordings of poo poo but there's a difference between studying a true crime case and maybe using court recordings or whatever and well...he's already like, sampled loving Budd Dwyer, the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs, Jonestown, Luka Magnotta, it feels like he's going down the laziest lamest loving checklist now.
I prefer episodes like Pleasant Grove, Derek Medina, the Carnation Murders, Morgan Ingram, etc.

Any recommendations for good current news podcasts? There's gotta be something better than "Amanpour". I'm down with Axelrod and the Axe Files though, even if he annoys the gently caress out of me every other episode.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 10, 2016

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

What's out there as far as non-movie/music arts podcasts? History of art would be nice, but I would be interested in looking at anything good you guys got.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Apropos of nothing, I recommend "Radio War Nerd"
https://www.patreon.com/radiowarnerd

It's like 50% "on the media", except for international reporting mostly re: conflict areas, 25% milhistory, 25% Gary Brecher being Gary Brecher.

edit: had RSS feed there until I realized that it was subscriber only! Sorry! I have subscribed to atone.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 7, 2016

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What with the newest episode being about the Bjork Stalker it straight up feels like this dude is just lazy as gently caress and wants topics that have long infamous internet videos/recordings he can sample for a majority of the episode. Like, I feel uneasy listening to this episode because knowing this crazy motherfucker I can't be too sure how much of the video he's sampling and I don't want to be listening to an episode and suddenly hear the Bjork Stalker blowing his brains out or something. I know he often relies on recordings of poo poo but there's a difference between studying a true crime case and maybe using court recordings or whatever and well...he's already like, sampled loving Budd Dwyer, the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs, Jonestown, Luka Magnotta, it feels like he's going down the laziest lamest loving checklist now.
I prefer episodes like Pleasant Grove, Derek Medina, the Carnation Murders, Morgan Ingram, etc.

Oh he for sure heavily pads the episodes with lots of boring audio. It's why I stopped listening. All the criticism aimed at the guy is spot on, I just think a few of the episodes happened to turn it pretty good.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Any recommendations for good current news podcasts? There's gotta be something better than "Amanpour". I'm down with Axelrod and the Axe Files though, even if he annoys the gently caress out of me every other episode.

Have you tried Slate's Political Gabfest and/or NPR Politics Podcast? Whichever one came later kind of ripped off the other one, but they're both good for current events. I know you said "news" and not politics, but between the 2 of them they cover a pretty wide range of things almost daily. They have hour long ones (bi?)weekly but if something happens outside of the usual production schedule they'll fire off a quick recap. Everyone on both shows can be really funny which is nice, but if you get prickly about Northeast liberals sounding snooty they'll annoy the poo poo out of you once in a while. It's not constant but there's some dismissive NPR liberal stereotype that leaks out.

lmk if you find something like The Axe Files, I don't know how many other people as connected as him are interested in podcasting but I'm digging his show (even though yes he can be a little annoying). Just from the start last year to now he's better about not tripping over other people's stories and injecting his own stuff before they can finish. Psyched to listen to the Jon Stewart one from today on my commute home :cool:

e: DecodeDC is good too.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 11, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

life is a joke posted:

Have you tried Slate's Political Gabfest and/or NPR Politics Podcast? Whichever one came later kind of ripped off the other one, but they're both good for current events. I know you said "news" and not politics, but between the 2 of them they cover a pretty wide range of things almost daily. They have hour long ones (bi?)weekly but if something happens outside of the usual production schedule they'll fire off a quick recap. Everyone on both shows can be really funny which is nice, but if you get prickly about Northeast liberals sounding snooty they'll annoy the poo poo out of you once in a while. It's not constant but there's some dismissive NPR liberal stereotype that leaks out.

lmk if you find something like The Axe Files, I don't know how many other people as connected as him are interested in podcasting but I'm digging his show (even though yes he can be a little annoying). Just from the start last year to now he's better about not tripping over other people's stories and injecting his own stuff before they can finish. Psyched to listen to the Jon Stewart one from today on my commute home :cool:

Trigger warning on political gabfest. It is in Goldman Sachs pocket.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Oh he for sure heavily pads the episodes with lots of boring audio. It's why I stopped listening. All the criticism aimed at the guy is spot on, I just think a few of the episodes happened to turn it pretty good.
It's not even the filler audio, like I didn't mind him reading out Derek Medina's ebooks, it's that it feels like he's going down some cliche Internet forum thread list of "the most disturbing videos on the internet!!!" and then basing episodes off of playing them. He's like checking off boxes at this point.

life is a joke posted:

I was honestly hoping for something more like international news, hence sampling the unfulfilling Amanpour, but I'll check those out. I love Slate's Whistlestop, so maybe I'll like those Slate and NPR casts...I listen to the 538 politics podcast which is decent enough, but between that and Axe I already get plenty American political content.
And yeah as much as Axe pisses me off every other episode, it's still a pretty great series with solid guests. The Stewart episode was a lot of fun, particularly because he wasn't letting Axe rest on the usual excusatory bullshit and false equivalencies that usually annoy me.
I appreciate that Axe is strategic and sensitive with his interjections and "what you said relates to something in my life" stuff, as opposed to say an egomaniac type like Bill Simmons who is like constantly interrupting Silicon Valley CEOs and Louis CK to be like "hmmm, your genius/courage remind me of my own, allow me to interrupt this interesting guest to relate the same personal bullshit about me you hear ever episode"

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

Trigger warning on political gabfest. It is in Goldman Sachs pocket.

For real? Emily-San :negative:

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Bill Simmons who is like constantly interrupting Silicon Valley CEOs and Louis CK to be like "hmmm, your genius/courage remind me of my own, allow me to interrupt this interesting guest to relate the same personal bullshit about me you hear ever episode"

I don't know who this dude is but thanks for the heads up, i'd probably hate him. Axe gets a pass because he's usually saying something about his daughter's epilepsy or whatever.

I should take a cue from you and listen to some non-american-focused stuff, at this point im at like 10 hours a week or rotating hosts being like "can you believe what Trump has said", with nothing international unless it's relating to what an american politician said.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I appreciate that Axe is strategic and sensitive with his interjections and "what you said relates to something in my life" stuff, as opposed to say an egomaniac type like Bill Simmons who is like constantly interrupting Silicon Valley CEOs and Louis CK to be like "hmmm, your genius/courage remind me of my own, allow me to interrupt this interesting guest to relate the same personal bullshit about me you hear ever episode"

Reminds me of why I stopped listening to Nerdist after Talking Dead happened and Hardwick got way too self-important for his own good and started spending half of each episode bitching about people on Twitter or how unfair it is for people to criticize comedians :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

life is a joke posted:

For real? Emily-San :negative:

She is the worst of the three when she talks about anything that doesn't concern the Supreme Court. Although David tries his best every couple of weeks.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I feel like she hasn't been saying much lately anyway. She never goes into town to record in the studio either. Also David ripped into her about some gun control opinion she had a few weeks ago, I mean like getting so heated that it made me uncomfortable. I'm probably reading too much into their professional relationship like it's a soap opera but I feel like she might be done with it. I just kind of like her for unknown reasons but there's some weird tension there, like when they made fun of her with a guest host who was not cool with it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

life is a joke posted:

I feel like she hasn't been saying much lately anyway. She never goes into town to record in the studio either. Also David ripped into her about some gun control opinion she had a few weeks ago, I mean like getting so heated that it made me uncomfortable. I'm probably reading too much into their professional relationship like it's a soap opera but I feel like she might be done with it. I just kind of like her for unknown reasons but there's some weird tension there, like when they made fun of her with a guest host who was not cool with it.

Maybe there she is and there is tension who knows.

My biggest criticism is that all three come from very privileged backgrounds, are in that east coat, white, rich, liberal bubble, and are the literal caricature of the pointy headed liberal at times. It can be telling when David blurts out "I don't understand" when the latest BS that has cropped up from the "flyover states" or Emily is very clearly a Third Way Democrat and they piss me off. John, I usually do not have a problem with since most of the time it is him talking about how our system works, political history, or devil's advocate questions.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

life is a joke posted:

I don't know who this dude is but thanks for the heads up, i'd probably hate him.
he's a basketball man
kind of a hate/love listen, where you listen to a podcast personality because 50% of the time it's easy to hate on his rear end

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I listen to The Young Turks. I like it.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Anyone here listen to Idle Thumbs? I've really been loving all of their stuff lately; the game discussions are pretty substantial, and the hosts are hilarious.

I put EconTalk on my rotation, too. They have a pretty wide variety of people on the show from a number of different disciplines (I remember one with a philosopher, and a few with physicists and machine learning experts), and the host is really great at guiding the conversations and getting the guests to dive deeper into their views/arguments. You don't have to be a total expert on econ to appreciate the show, but they do throw around some jargon every once in a while.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

HighwireAct posted:

Anyone here listen to Idle Thumbs? I've really been loving all of their stuff lately; the game discussions are pretty substantial, and the hosts are hilarious.

Idle Weekend and the Giant Beastcast are also great.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I've been listening to and liking Watch Out for Fireballs and Abject Suffering and liking them a lot when I had a harder time getting into other gaming podcasts. Each episode is focused on a single game and there are just two guys so it isn't nearly as meandering, and neither of them actually work in the games industry so you don't get any self-promotion or back-patting.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There was a new episode of How Was Your Week this Friday. I forgot how much I loved hearing Julie Klausner just ramble about stuff.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

he's a basketball man
kind of a hate/love listen, where you listen to a podcast personality because 50% of the time it's easy to hate on his rear end
I've hated Simmons since he was a nobody columnist in ESPN the Magazine, back in the late '90s. Even then he seemed very smug.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Are there any podcasts that focus on urban legends? Not just generic horror stuff I mean but go into the history and what inspires urban legends and all?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are there any podcasts that focus on urban legends? Not just generic horror stuff I mean but go into the history and what inspires urban legends and all?

Lore, but only sometimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

life is a joke posted:

Lore, but only sometimes.

Yea I got Lore, they're fantastic and I probably should have said my ideal option was one like Lore but more focused on that topic

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Interesting TAL nerd fight.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I got Lore, they're fantastic and I probably should have said my ideal option was one like Lore but more focused on that topic

There is Unexplained, which seems to focus more on the British Isles but isn't too bad.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I'm looking for some new podcasts with long backlogs of episodes, anything covering investigative journalism, philosophy, news, politics, etc. I already really like Reveal, and I've listened to and gotten tired of Very Bad Wizards. I'd listen to the Unmute Podcast but the production makes it unlistenable. I'm not really into the true crime genre of podcasts that have been discussed.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Have you tried:
History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Philosophy Bites
Philosophize This!
The Philosopher's Zone

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Bolocko posted:

Have you tried:
Philosophy Bites
Philosophize This!
The Philosopher's Zone

Only tried the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps from that list, thought it was interesting but not super engaging to me. Will check the rest out though, thanks!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Bolocko posted:

This looks loving amazing. I didn't even know that I wanted a philosophy podcast until I saw that.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

I forgot to include The Partially Examined Life in that list. Also worth checking out.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Bolocko posted:

I forgot to include The Partially Examined Life in that list. Also worth checking out.

PEL is awesome.

If you want a two dudes talking type podcast, Bad Philosophy is also good.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

calandryll posted:

There is Unexplained, which seems to focus more on the British Isles but isn't too bad.

I have to say, I think I like Unexplained more than Lore so far. There's just something about Aaron Mahnke's diction and writing that's grating to me. Plus he seems kind of... pompous? Or something. I don't know.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
I have two podcast requests:

1. A car podcast. Ideally, this show would walk through different topics on a weekly basis, i.e. when to perform certain maintenance, what to look for in new tires, when to sell and/or junk the car. I'd also settle for a good car review podcast.

2. A good investing podcast. Ideally it would weigh the pros and cons of passive versus active investing, and give an overview of how the market is moving today, with little talk about where it is going. I just don't care where some dude thinks the market is going short term. If he was consistently right anyway, he'd be a billionaire.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Guy Mann posted:

I've been listening to and liking Watch Out for Fireballs and Abject Suffering and liking them a lot when I had a harder time getting into other gaming podcasts. Each episode is focused on a single game and there are just two guys so it isn't nearly as meandering, and neither of them actually work in the games industry so you don't get any self-promotion or back-patting.

Absolutely, Gary and Kole banter is fantastic. Be sure to check out Monster in My Podcast, and DuckFeed Presents has some nice random chatter.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Absolutely, Gary and Kole banter is fantastic. Be sure to check out Monster in My Podcast, and DuckFeed Presents has some nice random chatter.

I started with Abject Suffering and I almost bailed because the first few eps were about Revolution X and Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch so there was a lot of :goonsay: about musicians and professional aesthetes but I am so glad I stuck with it. Their Watch Out For Fireballs format of playing a classic game (or a portion of a game, for the longer ones that they need to break up) and then summarizing and discussing it works really well; I like that they're willing to, to borrow their phrase, "pretend to be an English major" and discuss a game's overall themes (or lack thereof, like the Indigo Prophecy ep) while also talking about their personal experiences with the game, trivia from the internet, etc.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm looking for a podcast episode that was probably on This American Life, but I simply haven't been able to track it down.

It's about a highly educated woman who has terrible luck at online dating. She winds up creating a fake dating profile for her ideal partner, and then remodels her own profile based on those of the women who match with this dream man. Along the way discovering that her profile is written like a resume, and that cliches really do work.

Doc Finn
Mar 25, 2009
I think you're looking for this TED talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wG_sAdP0U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm looking for a podcast episode that was probably on This American Life, but I simply haven't been able to track it down.

It's about a highly educated woman who has terrible luck at online dating. She winds up creating a fake dating profile for her ideal partner, and then remodels her own profile based on those of the women who match with this dream man. Along the way discovering that her profile is written like a resume, and that cliches really do work.

Amy Webb (from the above video) was on The Allusionist somewhat recently: episode 29 in February, to be specific.