Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Alright, I've read Awakening 2E and overall really like it. It's been written by people who both enjoy and understand the material, and it completely shows - a lot of stuff in there leaves you thinking "why wasn't that there in the first place?" when you read it, which I think is the best place to be for updates and changes to a game like Mage.

The biggest thematic disconnect in 2E's design is, like I've said before, the paradox rules - that the path to unfettered power lies in containing rather than loosing paradoxes doesn't really make any sense, and internal paradoxes seem real easy to get rid of. If I run 2E directly that's what I'd change first, and if I played 2E directly I think the Storyteller would have to do some really contrived poo poo to get me to ever not contain a paradox unless that paradox's dicepool was, like, 2.

Also, like I've noted before, it's dumb that the Seer Orders are explicitly able to match the Pentacle Orders in the Pentacle's area of specialty and have an almost categorically superior unique merit, it's dumb that the book never shies away from telling you that the Adamantine Arrow fights the enemies of the Pentacle directly, the Egregore merit is still lame and largely unrelated to the Mysterium's actual mystery initiations, etc. I will fight anyone who disagrees but we've been over these.

The spellcasting system is really interesting - there's clearly been a deliberate effort to completely detach it from any of the nWoD's normal resolution mechanisms, which has ironically made it the one subsystem in the entire line of books which actually cleaves completely to the basic ideas underlying nWoD rolls in the first place: you figure out what you're doing, assess all the penalties, and then either get no successes, one success, or an exceptional success, the end. It actually took me a while to realize that rolling four successes on a non-Praxis was no better or worse than scoring one success, because even a spell's primary factor was just a function of your Arcanum rating + voluntary penalties rather than a direct count of your rolled successes, but I was satisfied to do so because of how elegantly consistent it is with everything else going on.

The all-or-nothing nature of Withstand and the fact that the Roll vs. Roll Clash of Wills mechanic leads me to suspect that Mage 2E is as rocket-taggy as the other 2E games at the higher ends of character power, but this may well be preferable to keeping track of ablative shields of whatever kind and also might not be true - I'd have to do more thinking and hypotheticals and things. Hell, let's do one now: I've got Gnosis 3 and some Arcanum at 3 and I want to disable you by some means or other, but you have a 5 in your relevant Attribute BUT I've got a 5 in an Order-favored rote skill. To ensure that my base Potency 3 is actually as high as 6, I need to eat a -6 penalty which cancels out my Mudra bonus completely and leaves me rolling a 'naked' 6 dice, even a single success on which ensures my victory. Of course, if you're using any kind of spell or superpower which would logically prevent my success, we have to Clash, which is effectively a coin flip, and if you're a vampire using Resilience or something while the withstand trait is Stamina then I'm really in trouble...

I think at the end of the day what would benefit this the most is not any change to the resolution mechanics themselves, all of which pass a spot check, but some kind of explicit lag in consequences setting in or pause in which the subject of a spell can respond and invent countermeasures or something. Maybe a Magic: the Gathering stack? That way there can be some kind of on-the-spot back and forth rather than a "shouldna forgot your ward against the specific thing I'm doing".

Minor spellcasting stuff: Compelling and Shielding justify themselves, it's awkward that Veiling is two Practices in one, it's inexcusable that Fraying and Unraveling are each two Practices in one. The ironclad bashing at 3, lethal at 4 progression is particularly bizarre given that it's in the same chapter as the creative thaumaturgy rules which explicitly tell you that it's perfectly okay for someone to come up with a spell effect that seems available 'too early' to the spells already in the book. What on earth is wrong with producing pointy rather than smashy (or smashy in the same way a baseball bat is smashy) telekinetic force at Disciple? If it's Ruling to move liquids, and Weaving to phase change, why couldn't you summon a stalactite directly into someone's skull with Matter 3?

I'm really happy to see that the model 2E uses for Time magic is almost identical to the model my group came up with a year or two back for our own houserules. However, I don't like the prevalence of time travel in Time magic, mostly because it seems like a pain to play out. Time spells should definitely involve futzing around with the static, left-in-our-wake past in order to alter elements of the dynamic, ever-moving present, but an "I cast a spell such that I never opened that door" takes less time and spotlight than "I go back in time. Okay, when I see the door, I..." on average. There's not too much of a functional difference here and obviously there's always room for a "we all go back ten years" storyline but the default mode of changing your environment with Time should probably happen at the same one-and-done pace as the other Arcana boast.

Like I said before, I'm dissatisfied that the Practices aren't interpreted really strictly, because I think getting around their limitations (the principal limitation being that, before you get Making, you have to use your environment in your magic) is one of the most fun parts of playing Mage. Thunderbolt should specify that the room gets a bit colder each time you throw it or whatever! As is there is attention paid, but there are still instances where it feels more like "well, X is stronger than Y, so it's a dot higher" rather than an extrapolation on a matching-nouns-with-verbs game.

Anyway, that's some mostly offhand commentary, I'll make more posts as they occur to me. Overall, Mage 2E is a definite success and I'll definitely be getting supplements and otherwise following its growth.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I really like yr point about unleashing vs containing paradox and will annoy my nerd friends with discussing the idea

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Terrorforge posted:

Demon question: suborned Infrastructure is "unhooked" from the God-Machine, but how disconnected can it be exactly? If it's something mobile or at least reasonably possible to relocate, like a car or a phone booth, does removing it from its original context destroy its ability to function even as an Aether generator?

The connections between elements of infrastructure usually aren't physical trunklines. You can drive an eldritch food cart across state lines and it will probably still work. The linchpin of your suborned infrastructure is more likely some strange element underneath the surface of the workings that you can't remove or allow to be damaged. The suborned car might have a beating heart speared into the middle of its engine block, and if you rip it out and replace it with a regular engine, you've got a working car but not any kind of functional infrastructure. The food cart has brassy heating plates that smell of sulfur and discolor meat.

Terrorforge posted:

Oh, and I was reading the Chronicles of Darkness book and noticed a bunch of references to a "Fate" trait that isn't actually explained anywhere. Found some discussion noting that it's a scrapped aspect of CofD that managed to stick around in an embarrassingly major way. How was it supposed to work, though? I get the impression that it's meant to give characters an end point other than "eaten by night terrors", but then there's that angel that's vulnerable to people who have recently "fulfilled their Fate".

Check page 177, or if you don't see a relevant sidebar there, check your drivethru library for the updated version of the book. They ended up finding it easier, in revisions, to add a summary of the Fate system as an optional add-on to the God-Machine Chronicle material than to excise all the references that persisted. It's like an extra aspiration towards a vaguely defined doom, that modifies how you can benefit from spending Willpower to face or resist your doom.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Oh yeah, on the topic of Mage 2E: while mana is clearly more valuable in 2E than it was in 1E it still feels kind of superfluous to the game as a whole. I'd rather it was more intimately tied to spellcasting itself (each Reach past your guaranteed costs 1m, certain practices always cost 1m or more, each Mana spent is straight up +1 die, etc) rather than a resource that mostly fuels your incidental Template-based super powers and insulates against paradox. The paradox insulation never sat well with me - the more supernal power you channel, the safer the spell gets? Frankly I suspect it would not be too hard to delete Mana from the game completely - Yantras and Reach are plenty of things to hoard and fight over.

It's still possible in 2E to layer buffs on yourself such that you can walk around with 5 to 10 dots in a bunch of Skills or Attributes. Since Attributes never factor into spellcasting and Skills are but one way to hit a hard cap this ends up feeling a little less mandatory, but it's still annoying to do while being easy and risk-free enough that it's stupid not to do all the time. Yeah, you have to Reach a few times to make sure your Dex 5 Stamina 5 last all week, but a couple paradox dice per week is pretty much living a Charmed life for more mage PCs anyway. I very much appreciate that all spells are one roll long and it's no longer possible to assemble an arbitrarily high pile of factors by just spending a long enough period of downtime in your basement, but I'm still real leery of the still-present incentive to walk around wearing a bunch of buffs all of which boast unique effects and duration timers.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

I Am Just a Box posted:

The connections between elements of infrastructure usually aren't physical trunklines. You can drive an eldritch food cart across state lines and it will probably still work. The linchpin of your suborned infrastructure is more likely some strange element underneath the surface of the workings that you can't remove or allow to be damaged. The suborned car might have a beating heart speared into the middle of its engine block, and if you rip it out and replace it with a regular engine, you've got a working car but not any kind of functional infrastructure. The food cart has brassy heating plates that smell of sulfur and discolor meat.

So what I'm getting from this is that as long as the linchpin is in place, the Infrastructure continues to produce Aether? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, how much of the Infrastructure needs to remain intact? Assuming you need the original linchpin you obviously can't just take one of the tires off the car and reap the harvest, but could you perhaps take out the entire engine block and just leave that chugging away in a locked garage somewhere? Presumably it wouldn't generate as much aether, but in cases where the Infrastructure is something like an entire skyscraper it might be worth the effort to cut out and cart off the bleeding server rack in the ninth floor closet.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GM-decided case-by-case there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that as long as the linchpin is in place, the Infrastructure continues to produce Aether? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, how much of the Infrastructure needs to remain intact? Assuming you need the original linchpin you obviously can't just take one of the tires off the car and reap the harvest, but could you perhaps take out the entire engine block and just leave that chugging away in a locked garage somewhere? Presumably it wouldn't generate as much aether, but in cases where the Infrastructure is something like an entire skyscraper it might be worth the effort to cut out and cart off the bleeding server rack in the ninth floor closet.

As far as I can tell, this is not something you can generalize. It will heavily depend on the exact piece of Infrastructure you're looking at, and even Demons will have a hard time figuring out the answers to these questions without taking it apart until it stops working, at which point they probably can't put it back together.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
As an aside note regarding nMage 2e: I am incredibly surprised it does not list 2015's Doctor Strange series (or any Doctor Strange series, for that matter) among its inspirations cause I am reading both right now and sometimes it seems they were made specifically for each other. Or out of each other. The resemblance in tone is uncanny.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Foglet posted:

As an aside note regarding nMage 2e: I am incredibly surprised it does not list 2015's Doctor Strange series (or any Doctor Strange series, for that matter) among its inspirations cause I am reading both right now and sometimes it seems they were made specifically for each other. Or out of each other. The resemblance in tone is uncanny.

Because I only got Marvel Unlimited last month, and hadn't read it!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm a little confused as to why Mage 2e says that Mages get mana most often from a Hallow.
Aren't Hallows relatively rare and probably already controlled by someone else? Seems like way more mages would Pattern-scour for the free three mana. All it takes is spending a day being either weaker than normal, clumsier than normal or more fatigued than normal - or if you really insist, taking two days to heal up a resistant wound.

Sure, "you feel like someone twisted your arm painfully and it'll take a day to heal up" isn't great, but in 90% of cases that's a better option than "you owe a favour to the guys who own the nearest Hallow" because, well... Mages.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Although the game does not have mechanics for this, healthy people don't deliberately self-harm to gain temporary resources.

I mean, yeah, mages, but this isn't Unknown Armies.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rand Brittain posted:

Although the game does not have mechanics for this, healthy people don't deliberately self-harm to gain temporary resources.

I mean, yeah, mages, but this isn't Unknown Armies.

Some Moros and Thyrsus alike would argue that flesh/health is a temporary resource just like mana is. They're just transmuting the base matter of the Lie into purer supernal matter. You can turn mana into health at the exact same cost (except not to the wound you just created, of course).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rand Brittain posted:

Like you've never pulled a double shift for a few extra bucks. This is just the magical version.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Yawgmoth posted:

Like you've never pulled a double shift for a few extra bucks. This is just the magical version.

There's a difference between working too hard and cutting yourself.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
If you could make 1000 dollars once per day by cutting yourself, though, there would be much less of a difference.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Given that the sample 2-dot Life Attainment makes it so Scouring stops being a pain in the rear end math-wise (makes it so the attribute damage you take doesn't spill over into derived traits), it seems like it's a thing that a decent chunk of the Awakened are aware of and totally cool with doing. Plus! It's rolled into the same Attainment that makes your self-healing more effective mana-wise to begin with, which renders this statement:

bewilderment posted:

Some Moros and Thyrsus alike would argue that flesh/health is a temporary resource just like mana is. They're just transmuting the base matter of the Lie into purer supernal matter.
even more thematically accurate.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

While we're on the topic of mutilating yourself for mystic power, listing soul stone creation as an official Wisdom sin is never not going to be stupid.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ferrinus posted:

If you could make 1000 dollars once per day by cutting yourself, though, there would be much less of a difference.

Yeah tass is like... literally Mage currency and surely there's a Prime rote to turn pattern-scoured mana into tass, right? People around the world do much worse every day.

Ferrinus posted:

While we're on the topic of mutilating yourself for mystic power, listing soul stone creation as an official Wisdom sin is never not going to be stupid.

I feel like I've missed an old argument here. What's wrong with it being a 'sin'? It's literally taking out a piece of your soul, making it so that you can never reach maximum enlightenment, in order to have power right now.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Ferrinus posted:

These days with camshows there's probably a market.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

bewilderment posted:

I feel like I've missed an old argument here. What's wrong with it being a 'sin'? It's literally taking out a piece of your soul, making it so that you can never reach maximum enlightenment, in order to have power right now.

It's already inherently risky and fraught and doesn't actually harm or endanger anyone except for you, and it only harms you in an extremely abstract and long-term sense. In fact, if you're the kind of obsessive psycho who'll stop at nothing in their quest for Ultimate Power, making a soul stone is extremely unappealing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Isn't sacrificing your long-term health and well-being for immediate temporal power exactly the sort of thing that one could describe as unwise?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cabbit posted:

Isn't sacrificing your long-term health and well-being for immediate temporal power exactly the sort of thing that one could describe as unwise?

Isn't caring more about The Lie than your spiritual growth exactly the sort of thing one could describe as unwise?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Because I only got Marvel Unlimited last month, and hadn't read it!

I hope you like it when you read it, then :)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Cabbit posted:

A soul stone doesn't cost you long term health and well-being, unless you define health and well-being as "Gnosis 10 and possessed of no connections to things outside myself that can be used to magically attack me". I do, obviously, which is why, were I a mage, I'd probably never make a soul stone. But, I'm pretty sure that I'm not the kind of person that a high Wisdom score is supposed to describe.

Moreover, beside "acts of self-mutilation", every other sin against understanding Wisdom involves actually endangering and hurting people. I don't think plucking one of your eyes out or chopping off one of your arms is a wise thing to do, but I also don't think it should be pushing you down the scale that measures how much of a hazard to your surroundings you are.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think plucking one of your eyes out or chopping off one of your arms is a wise thing to do,

Tell that to Odin. :colbert:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

ZiegeDame posted:

Tell that to Odin. :colbert:

If it's good enough for Odin, then it's good enough for me to desperately emulate in a hubristic quest for Supernal glory.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

cptn_dr posted:

If it's good enough for Odin, then it's good enough for me to desperately emulate in a hubristic quest for Supernal glory.

This, but unironically. Do as Odin does! Simultaneously bring victory in law cases while sponsoring outlaws! Be awesome! Grow a beard!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Loomer posted:

This, but unironically. Do as Odin does! Simultaneously bring victory in law cases while sponsoring outlaws! Be awesome! Grow a beard!

Get eaten by a wolf in a massively pointless battle with a bunch of folks you always knew were a problem because oh well, it's Fate?

I mean they were better than the Greeks, but they are still bitch tier gods.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Boogaleeboo posted:

Get eaten by a wolf in a massively pointless battle with a bunch of folks you always knew were a problem because oh well, it's Fate?

I mean they were better than the Greeks, but they are still bitch tier gods.

Just make the wolf hubris and bam, Mage chronicle right there.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I mean hell, what else do you do when you arrive in the Primal Wilds?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

cptn_dr posted:

I mean hell, what else do you do when you arrive in the Primal Wilds?

Fenrir always seemed cool. He just chilled around the place, being a big wolf dog thing, and they were complete assholes.

"Hey break this".
"Sure, why not?" *snap*
"poo poo Hey break this. It is super strong and you will totally gain much fame in the breaking of it."
"That does sound pretty awesome." *snap*
"gently caress gently caress gently caress Ok, you should totally break this."
"Noooooope."
"Come on look at it, it's super strong, none of us could break it, they will totally write songs about this *snicker*"
"One, it totally looks like a hairband and I will not look cool for breaking it, and two it is totally magic and you are all loving with me and that is getting no-where near my leg."
"Listen if you can't break it we will totally take it off for you because you are a bitch"
"If you tie me up with that I will be waiting sweet loving forever for one of you assholes to take it off for me, but fine, whatever, I'm not a bitch. If you are totally sincere one of you put your hand in my mouth and we'll do this."
*everyone immediately bitches out* *Tyr sighs and walks forth*
"Rrrrrrrrrrrr and ro, thas preeey goo' ruys. Ruys?"
"HA HA HA HA gently caress YOU WOLF YOU WILL NEVER GET OUT OF THERE! WHOOOOO WE ARE SO SMART AND AWESOME AND THIS WILL NEVER HAVE ANY CONSEQUENCES!"
*everyone walks away laughing* *Tyr stands there weeping manfully over his severed hand*

And that's why Ragnarok is the touching story of a bunch of total assholes finally getting theirs in the end.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How about that time when a god lazered the head of his own child and then gave it the head of a passing elephant?

Or how about that time a god commanded everyone on to a boat and sunk the planet?

Or how about the time when a god hosed a lady as a swan?

Or how about that time that a god pronounced a curse on a tree by tripping over near it?

And so it goes. All Gods are divinely endowed idiots who shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Josef bugman posted:

How about that time when a god lazered the head of his own child and then gave it the head of a passing elephant?

Or how about that time a god commanded everyone on to a boat and sunk the planet?

Or how about that time that a god pronounced a curse on a tree by tripping over near it?

And so it goes. All Gods are divinely endowed idiots who shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects.

I like the time a god swore a blood feud against the moon and thus keeps chasing after it as the sun to kick its rear end.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
One time Loki stole Mjolnir and gave it to the Giants so Thir dressed up like a lady to steal it back

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

See that one hosed over everyone else. Not the god in question. That's proper godding behavior.

quote:

The Greek/Roman gods are the worst gods in the history of theology. Just the most pathetic and useless bunch of gods that has ever existed, anywhere. Ever.

quote:

Nah, all of them are a step up from the Greeks, most are a step up from the Norse. There are levels. We should never give failures a pass because other people weren't perfect. That's how you get Zeus. Nobody wants Zeus.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Really, the problem is that Zeus became conflated with local gods a lot, and every local god had a local lover/wife in myth.

And the solution to this was that Zeus had all of them.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Josef bugman posted:

citybeatnik posted:

I like the time a god swore a blood feud against the moon and thus keeps chasing after it as the sun to kick its rear end.

Literally The Worst posted:

One time Loki stole Mjolnir and gave it to the Giants so Thir dressed up like a lady to steal it back

Well thanks for getting me excited for Scion all over again >:(

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Aztec pantheon makes a lot more sense if you picture Huitzlpochtli as the letter-jacket wearing jock in highschool ready to dunk on nerds.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Literally The Worst posted:

He also tied his balls to a goat once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nah, all of them are a step up from the Greeks, most are a step up from the Norse. There are levels. We should never give failures a pass because other people weren't perfect. That's how you get Zeus. Nobody wants Zeus.

Excuse me, but I think you'll find if you read the mythology that lots of people wanted Zeus :wiggle: