Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

SonicRulez posted:

Elongated Man couldn't make that much of a reach.

Pete Ross could. After some addictive kryptonite gum. Then he'd go street racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

enraged_camel posted:

Like I said, he's addicted to speed.
So, your complaint is that WALLY WEST has a keen interest in going fast?
Yeah, I suppose I can't think of any reason the writers would give him that particular trait besides racism.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Robot Hobo posted:

So, your complaint is that WALLY WEST has a keen interest in going fast?
Yeah, I suppose I can't think of any reason the writers would give him that particular trait besides racism.
I love that his car was scarlet with yellow racing stripes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SonicRulez posted:

Elongated Man couldn't make that much of a reach.

Yeah it's a pretty big stretch

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

*crickets chirping*

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks everybody I'm here all week

e: Tip your bartender!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He was sipping on gingold and juice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

I have to admit, the "Black guy = Expert mechanic for the team" is kind of an odd niche that seems to pop up a lot. It's not necessarily bad, but it does seem to be overused at this point. You even left out Winston Zeddemore, who kept the Ecto-1 purring like a kitten for the Ghostbuters. Of course, he also filled the role of "The one guy in the entire organization who isn't kind of a lunatic and/or a con-man."

I don't think it's nearly as prevalent as 'Asian character with a small streak of different colored hair' yet though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I imagine they make a lot of black characters into mechanics because they want to emphasize know-how and professional work ethic without divorcing them from a solidly blue collar origin. Like, they're still "from the streets" and aren't wealthy, but understand complex systems and are hard-working. It's definitely weird in a racist way, because "blue collar" and "from the streets" are still somehow vital pieces of characterization.

Jax couldn't simply be a former HS athlete who's now studying sociology...he's gotta be a former HS athlete who's now a dirt-poor mechanic in oily coveralls. He needs to be marked as lower-class to contrast him with Stein, a bourgeois egghead in a tweed jacket. Ronnie was also Stein's "opposite," but only in that he was young and hot, because he was an engineer who built a particle accelerator.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A dirt poor mechanic has made a much smarter choice than a student of sociology.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xealot posted:

I imagine they make a lot of black characters into mechanics because they want to emphasize know-how and professional work ethic without divorcing them from a solidly blue collar origin. Like, they're still "from the streets" and aren't wealthy, but understand complex systems and are hard-working. It's definitely weird in a racist way, because "blue collar" and "from the streets" are still somehow vital pieces of characterization.

Jax couldn't simply be a former HS athlete who's now studying sociology...he's gotta be a former HS athlete who's now a dirt-poor mechanic in oily coveralls. He needs to be marked as lower-class to contrast him with Stein, a bourgeois egghead in a tweed jacket. Ronnie was also Stein's "opposite," but only in that he was young and hot, because he was an engineer who built a particle accelerator.

Jax and Stein's relationship is way more interesting than Ronnie and Stein's was

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The cops aren't going to be as lenient when the speeder is black.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Jax and Stein's relationship is way more interesting than Ronnie and Stein's was

Jax has had more time to develop it too fwiw.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpD3_RtHxnU

please win Zoom

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Zoom is going to send Iris to the 30th century

edit: Either Wally doesn't know, or Barry doesn't know Wally knows, because Barry's using Flashvoice to talk to him

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah honestly if I hadn't watched the actual rest of this season, this finale would seem like the coolest goddamn thing ever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:lol:

Black Canary finally got a special effect for her canary scream ahahhahaha

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I get the feeling Henry is dead.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

:lol:

Black Canary finally got a special effect for her canary scream ahahhahaha

Isn't she still dead?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Isn't she still dead?

alternate universes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

It seems like they're setting Barry up for a pretty big fall with how cocky he is being during that preview and that scream at the end.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Guy A. Person posted:

It seems like they're setting Barry up for a pretty big fall with how cocky he is being during that preview and that scream at the end.

would be retarded. He's being arrogant because he just got a big thumbs up from SpeedGod. It's not a character flaw.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

would be retarded. He's being arrogant because he just got a big thumbs up from SpeedGod. It's not a character flaw.

Oh yes but even the speed gods cannot contend with a CW love triangle. Its gravity extends into all 9 dimensions and crushes everything to gently caress.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Isn't she still dead?

that's what so funny about it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

boom boom boom posted:

He's misconstrued "You're doin a good job, kid" for "You are God now" and that is the perfect set up for a fall. He thinks his new power up has made him unbeatable. The trailer is pretty up front with that, I'm not even looking much into it. Cisco and the others are like "Let us help you" and he's like "It's literally not possible for us to lose". Despite there being like 30 metas wreaking havoc. He deserves whatever happens to him.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
But goes fast told him to try going faster!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

He's misconstrued "You're doin a good job, kid" for "You are God now" and that is the perfect set up for a fall. He thinks his new power up has made him unbeatable. The trailer is pretty up front with that, I'm not even looking much into it. Cisco and the others are like "Let us help you" and he's like "It's literally not possible for us to lose". Despite there being like 30 metas wreaking havoc. He deserves whatever happens to him.

Again, the speed force seems super manipulative. Also, why give the power to bad guys? Unless there is an evil speed force god.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, that seems like kind of a foregone conclusion at this point. Bring him back so they can kill him off for dramatic effect.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Barry was just going on a spirit quest, he just acid tripped speed force talking to him.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Barry was just going on a spirit quest, he just acid tripped speed force talking to him.

I assume his spirit animal was a hedgehog?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Again, the speed force seems super manipulative. Also, why give the power to bad guys? Unless there is an evil speed force god.

Whenever Speedforce talked about itself/themselves, a plural form was always used ("we" etc.) Maybe they don't have consensus, or more likely, there's an infinite number of them and consensus is impossible :shrug:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

boom boom boom posted:

He's being arrogant because he just got a big thumbs up from SpeedGod. It's not a character flaw.
Also, it's been shown over and over that pep talks and confidence boosts are the fuel that Barry runs on at least as much as the speed force itself. Becoming cocky and super self-assured shouldn't be a bad thing, it should turn Barry into an unstoppable juggernaut of awesomeness. Flash Fact.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mooseontheloose posted:

We haven't really seen bad guys have it. Thawne has his Tachyon device and did some other fuckery to achieve it. Zoom was hopped up on Velocity until he stole Barry's powers. So was uh....evil chick speedster. The only person who got the Speed Force without cheating is our hero.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Aphrodite posted:

A dirt poor mechanic has made a much smarter choice than a student of sociology.

Yes, fine. He could also work at a temp agency or a CC Jitters where he earns minimum wage, to suggest the "failed HS athlete" thing.

But a mechanic sells all the right subtextual associations the writers were going for: he's physical, masculine, dirty, strong. The implicit racism is that he "fits" in some physical laborer role...that a job defined by physicality and elbow grease is consistent with his low-class blackness, as a contrast to Stein's abstract intellectualism which gels with his affluent whiteness. Stein is the brains and Jax is the brawn.

That dichotomy was semi-present with Ronnie, but the show explored it through Ronnie's youth, his brashness, his vitality. There wasn't actually a socioeconomic component.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Zoom is going to start reaching into dimensions, killing all of Barry's alternate mothers in front of him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That would be bold as gently caress but they'd never do it :shrug:

e: That is like, Garth Ennis level gently caress-you

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
What I want to know is what kind of powers does the random zoot-suit villain have???

Also that drat story the speed-force mom and Barry read makes no goddamn sense. Like, your mother loves you, and therefore, you don't need teeth? What?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fasdar posted:

What I want to know is what kind of powers does the random zoot-suit villain have???

Super-trombone playing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fasdar posted:

Also that drat story the speed-force mom and Barry read makes no goddamn sense. Like, your mother loves you, and therefore, you don't need teeth? What?

Pretty sure it's a lesson in acceptance, which Barry supposedly needed re: his mother's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fasdar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SlhkpKrw5E&t=2s

• Locked thread