Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
LtDan gets angry and types long screeds in nearly every game. I don't know how anyone can stand playing with him, even just beating him and saying good game sets him off. He tells me to get a life and I'm pretty sure he has more games played than me (and he's usually platooned with Voland who has something like 6500).

He is ok at shooting in a battleship, but lately I've seen him in a carrier a lot and he's bad at them. I think his battleship strategy is to platoon a Yamato with two tier 8s and leave the queue if another tier 9 joins, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He's not a great BB, either. I can take him easily in one and half the time I see him I'm like 'Man what are you doing'.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

lol @ them losing a 4v3 with an entire team of STEEL OCEAN guys, pretty sure one of them yelled something in chinese about their awesome fleet at the start of the game.

British Isles or whatever that map is with the dumb cliffs of cover is actually an awesome map to be alone on. I always flank the poo poo out of their BBs using the middle route and then lure in the eventual panicked scout. Athrun had no idea what to do.

I wish I had replays turned on.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 7, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I was originally going to go into Paint and make a big :effort: post image but gently caress my jobs I don't have the energy

The best part was when I told the subs to not rush ahead of the ships that actually have AA into open water or they will die, they told me they HAD to rush the carrier or they would have no hope of winning, like the littorals don't make it complete hell for CV drops or something. They then proceeded to rush into open water ahead of their AA ships and died, I then told the 4channer guys on the enemy team this and had a laugh. While I systematically murdered them to death.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Sommers is real good, you guys.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Getting back to the Elder Lee discussion:

I swear he must be a bot. Someone on the Steam forums made a thread titled "Let's all go play World of Tanks!"

Elder Lee immediately responds, :psylon: "Thank you for your post"

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

The Sommers is real good, you guys.

Yes. I had a lot of fun in that boat, but it didn't take long to research everything (because it's so loving good) and hop in to the Fletcher, which is vastly less of a gunboat. On the other hand having 6 DC's does come in handy with the amount of subs I've seen lately, so that was nice. If you hit with all 6 or even the 4 in the midship, which is fairly easy to do, you wreck the gently caress out of any sub even without the dc upgrade.

No matter how bad the Benson seems, keep going, it's worth it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To replace the gaping shitbote hole losing the Benson left in my life, I just researched the Ca-Class. :getin:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Getting back to the Elder Lee discussion:

I swear he must be a bot. Someone on the Steam forums made a thread titled "Let's all go play World of Tanks!"

Elder Lee immediately responds, :psylon: "Thank you for your post"

To be honest, after the Laforey thread I thought he would've closed down the threads where the guy wanted to spam the game with negative reviews.

It's somehow still there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got Sattanicom annoyed enough with my Surcouf to waste all the time he should've been spotting chasing it around trying to kill it with his L-Class while Groggy and Lockmart killed all his capital ships.

I got no EXP for this, but I count it as another heroic :france: victory.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One surefire way to pad your average damage. Gotta thank that CV and sub for actually listening to me though.

idk what it is about tryhard platoons just ignoring the need for a DD at high tiers, but it happens really often.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speaking from experience as someone whose maximum DD is a T7 Sommers (The Ca-Class doesn't count as a DD because it is mostly a gift to the enemy team) and who primarily plays BBs and CAs, it might just be that they don't really have any DDs that high and are used to climbing up lower tiers where they can count on there being some pub-DDs. And at higher tiers you can instead count on there being no DDs, often.

Also one of them was in a Deutschland which, now that I've personally played one, I feel comfortable calling a kinda crap bote. It's an amusing gimmick ship, at least. It feels like a T8 equivalent to the Taco in a place that has less room for the Taco.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 9, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
There's a new weekly event for the next 2 weeks which everyone should at least play to get, even if they aren't very active right now. If you get 200 main artillery hits in the week, you get 540 merit, 10k global exp, 200k silver, and 2 x berthage (aka, awesome for people not putting money in to the game). It's titled "anniversary celebration" or something like that. This does not replace the 15 weekly win 540 merit event, either, so lots of merit available the next 2 weeks.

Re: lack of DD's at higher tiers - I've been noticing that lately, just had a game in a Baltimore versus another Baltimore with 6 BB's on each side. It almost feels like there's less DD's now than a month ago, but it's probably because it's easier for people to get higher tier BB, as good DD play requires some pretty pimped out commanders. If there's no DD's in the game at least most matches end in slugfests, so both sides get some exp.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pervis posted:

Re: lack of DD's at higher tiers - I've been noticing that lately, just had a game in a Baltimore versus another Baltimore with 6 BB's on each side. It almost feels like there's less DD's now than a month ago, but it's probably because it's easier for people to get higher tier BB, as good DD play requires some pretty pimped out commanders. If there's no DD's in the game at least most matches end in slugfests, so both sides get some exp.

DDs just get harder as you play higher tiers. They're hard to begin with, so there aren't many people who get to t8 who can handle it. You're left with idiots like Westley, or tryhards like me. Even I don't want to play DD all the time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Deutschland does have the hilarious gimmick of eating BBs and other CAs like candy. Just, you know, a BB would've done the same and the guns are the guns from the Scharn so you don't have the awesome railgun velocity that US CAs do for blowing away DDs.

It is a Bad Bote that I find amusing.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The Deutschland does have the hilarious gimmick of eating BBs and other CAs like candy. Just, you know, a BB would've done the same and the guns are the guns from the Scharn so you don't have the awesome railgun velocity that US CAs do for blowing away DDs.

It is a Bad Bote that I find amusing.

Well, you also have fewer of the same guns as the Scharn on your slower, less durable, higher tier bote.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warbadger posted:

Well, you also have fewer of the same guns as the Scharn on your slower, less durable, higher tier bote.

Don't forget worse secondaries and AA and being slower, less maneuverable, less well armored, BUT AT LEAST YOU HAVE TORPEDOES, those matter, right?

In seriousness its only advantage is that it fires one more RPM than the Scharn which really doesn't make up for losing an entire turret.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
So I found out that British torpedoes are actually good for killing an Agincourt.

Also I finally have a Fletcher and am halfway through the Kagero, god bless the early AM crowd for being bad enough for me to get away with this nonsense.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 10, 2016

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Pervis posted:

There's a new weekly event for the next 2 weeks which everyone should at least play to get, even if they aren't very active right now. If you get 200 main artillery hits in the week, you get 540 merit, 10k global exp, 200k silver, and 2 x berthage (aka, awesome for people not putting money in to the game). It's titled "anniversary celebration" or something like that. This does not replace the 15 weekly win 540 merit event, either, so lots of merit available the next 2 weeks.

Another thing to note is that bot matches also count for the events too. Playing two bot matches a day in a Fubuki will easily net you 90 merit from the current merit event and slowly add up to the anniversary celebration event. And sometimes you'll get those matches with a lot of :shobon:s which will let you farm bots longer than usual.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Groggy nard posted:

So I found out that British torpedoes are actually good for killing an Agincourt.

Also I finally have a Fletcher and am halfway through the Kagero, god bless the early AM crowd for being bad enough for me to get away with this nonsense.

Yeah I'm digging the AM crowd as there's lots of them at higher tiers and most aren't very good. The Kagero with fully upgraded guns is amazing and hits really hard, it's a blast, and seems like the t8/t9 IJN DD's are similarly awesome, though the Gearing seems to have amazing RoF.

I still have yet to run in to many non-Fletcher t8 DD's since I got mine, in fact I keep getting matches where the hostile team has subs instead of a DD, and the Fletcher is perfect for those.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I've been enjoying the Des Moines. I got a personal record of 58 plane kills in one Match vs Sattinicom who was in a Lexington. Even though we lost that match it was highly satisfying to get more exp then Sattinicom in spite of him eventually sinking me. I might have forced a draw had I not run out of AA ammo!

Also it's secondaries can easily pen a Takao and I wrecked the poo poo out of one three times over in competition mode when the idiot tried to charge me to use torps. But to get in that range lets him get perforated by 8" and 5" shells.

I just can't wait to get the final tier X guns on it, they're the fastest us CA guns in the game.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I free-xp'ed the guns on mine. It reloads in less than 10 seconds.

It's amazing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
The people who play this game are special. In a steam thread discussing how it would be nice to customize the ships more (like you could in Navyfield) Someone responds with a bunch of :spergin: on how the armaments would be ahistorical and he'd quit the game, he thought the whole crew system was bad enough.

This was the same guy whining to the devs about the Nelson's propeller layout.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

The people who play this game are special. In a steam thread discussing how it would be nice to customize the ships more (like you could in Navyfield) Someone responds with a bunch of :spergin: on how the armaments would be ahistorical and he'd quit the game, he thought the whole crew system was bad enough.

I looked at the steam forums and the first thing I saw was Elder Lee whining about the Laforey losing view range :allears:

(the problem with navyfield customization is that you end up with some pubbie Iowa on your team that put single 3" guns on instead of the Iowa guns)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What's this event called that I need to do in order to get all sorts of baller stuff?
How do I check my progress?
Do I need to be at least research level 3 to participate, also if I do, do I need to run 3+ in the event or can I do any?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

tater_salad posted:

What's this event called that I need to do in order to get all sorts of baller stuff?
How do I check my progress?
Do I need to be at least research level 3 to participate, also if I do, do I need to run 3+ in the event or can I do any?

Super easy:

Its Anniversary event, check under 'events' tab to track your progress. Just hit botes 200 times with guns to get it. Not sure if it requires tier 3 or better.

It runs through this week, and then again next week. If possible, try to get it by this week so you can get it twice like us poopsockers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I think they balanced crew skills very poorly. Repair kits make most of the defensive skills virtually worthless.

10% more radio durability? Whoopty poo poo. Looking over all 73 crewmembers skills, and the cost associated with upgrading them/rarities, they are not balanced at all. Even when you factor in that small bonuses can stack to make significant overall increases in performance, the defensive stuff just falls away. What's worse is this game is so fast paced they could make most of the defensive abilities literally TWICE as powerful, and it would still get outpaced by focusing on damage/reload/accuracy/etc.

+3% penetration is better than +3% armor. Repairing modules faster is never an issue enough to need more than the Battle Power rating of your repair guy's passive contribution.

In contrast, let's say you wanted to stack radar range (an actually useful skill). It turns out several guys give bonus radar and you don't have to spend any QP on them. Only one or two actually require 4 stars to unlock the ability. Better vision is relevant 100% of the time in the game, and benefits all ships, be it scouty DDs or BBs that don't want to get jumped. So the cost is nowhere proportional to the utility.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The game is basically unplayable now. The new mm matches by trying to match both team's battle power.

This means I can never play solo, because if I play BB i get poo poo DDs, and vice versa. Trying to get this bb mission is like pulling teeth because I get literally zero scouting.

Worst of all, I would loving wreck the lovely laforeys i keep seeing on the other teams if I was in a destroyer.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
At least we know that Warthunder will be releasing boats soon, so if this game goes to poo poo it won't be long before there is something else.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Sorry Mazz, my internet died.

Lee Outrageous posted:

At least we know that Warthunder will be releasing boats soon, so if this game goes to poo poo it won't be long before there is something else.

Jesus christ.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Sorry Mazz, my internet died.

Jesus christ.

Not a fan of that game?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I really, really hope AB boats in War Thunder is just a straight up rip of this games mechanics.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lee Outrageous posted:

Not a fan of that game?

Not that, just scared of downloading 60 gigs of planes/cars/boats

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I got the emp guy, not bad. He can work similarly to Arashi but he also has Cunning so you can theoretically park your DD out at max range and invisifire. The emp ability would be handy in fleet battles as well.

I also got Lee up to 3 stars and on a cruiser you get incredibly accurate fire.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Mazz posted:

I really, really hope AB boats in War Thunder is just a straight up rip of this games mechanics.

They'd be smart to do just that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lee Outrageous posted:

Do you have an actual source for this? Boats have been "coming out" since 2014.

sukhoi_vegas
Apr 8, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Oh, you mean me?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
This just loving happened. 4k base xp

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

British BBs are real good botes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sukhoi_vegas
Apr 8, 2014

Night10194 posted:

British BBs are real good botes.

I agree. Vanguard is only so/so, but everything else is pretty strong.

Bugs me that the South Dakota has so little hp at tier, but the US seem to get the short end of the stick with their BBs.

• Locked thread