Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr. Powers posted:

I think it needs to be done once to truly know to never do it again.

I'm getting a 5x in two months when my current contract ends. There's a good chance I might destroy this thing in a fit of frustration before then though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
My Nexus 6p on Verizon still hasn't gotten the May security updates. I manually refresh the phone to look for an update every morning but it tells me none is available. At this point something is wrong on my end, right? Is my only option to sideload the OTA files provided by Google via ADB?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wax Dynasty posted:

My Nexus 6p on Verizon still hasn't gotten the May security updates. I manually refresh the phone to look for an update every morning but it tells me none is available. At this point something is wrong on my end, right? Is my only option to sideload the OTA files provided by Google via ADB?

No, nothing is likely wrong on your end. It may take most of the month for the patch to roll out to everyone.

I only just got the patch on my N7 two days ago.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah my 6P only updated a couple of days ago.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My 6p is still on April too. Don't worry about it. (My N7 2013 got may a week ago)

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
OK, good to know I don't have some weird Android bug. Thanks everyone.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I just got it on my 5x today. You good.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Why is there a staged roll out at all?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Primarily to limit the number of people effected by a bug that wasn't caught in testing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
More of a Google question, but this is the best place. I'm a TA with ~60 students assigned to me. I had a group contact in Google for my students last semester, but I only had ~20. I pasted in all the emails, and Google complained that there were too many characters in the email field. What can I do instead?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

More of a Google question, but this is the best place. I'm a TA with ~60 students assigned to me. I had a group contact in Google for my students last semester, but I only had ~20. I pasted in all the emails, and Google complained that there were too many characters in the email field. What can I do instead?

Are you talking about creating one contact and adding a bunch of email addresses to it, or adding a bunch of individual contacts to a group? I don't know if groups have a size limit, but it's at least 50.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'd rather do the former, since otherwise I'd have to create 60 separate contacts and :negative:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got a Motorola Moto G 3rd gen and while it does get good battery life it takes around 4 hours to charge it back with the wall charger than came with it. Would getting a beefier wall charger charge it back up faster?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

spasticColon posted:

I got a Motorola Moto G 3rd gen and while it does get good battery life it takes around 4 hours to charge it back with the wall charger than came with it. Would getting a beefier wall charger charge it back up faster?

Yes but looks like fastest it will charge will be about 2.5 hours to close to 3 hours. Apparently it has the longest charge time of any phone

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yes but looks like fastest it will charge will be about 2.5 hours to close to 3 hours. Apparently it has the longest charge time of any phone

That beats 3.5 hours to sometimes over 4 hours of charge time so is there a specific charger that would work best? The charger that came with it has the charge cable wired directly to the wall charger so I would have to get a USB charge cable with it as well.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but it made me laugh.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Airborne Viking posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but it made me laugh.

Same

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My OG Moto X just died today. I think I might pick up a pure. I really loved the OG, especially how durable it was. I dropped it a lot and never had a case.

Is the pure similar in build quality? Any other goon favorites for phones? How long is the shipping time for a custom one?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The current goon favorite is still the Galaxy S II Plus. You'll have to search eBay, but try and nab a i9105p so you get NFC support.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

The current goon favorite is still the Galaxy S II Plus. You'll have to search eBay, but try and nab a i9105p so you get NFC support.

Does it have SD Card support and a removable battery?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Does it have SD Card support and a removable battery?

My freind it has all of the above and also an IR BLASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eSporks posted:

My OG Moto X just died today. I think I might pick up a pure. I really loved the OG, especially how durable it was. I dropped it a lot and never had a case.

Is the pure similar in build quality? Any other goon favorites for phones? How long is the shipping time for a custom one?

The new Pure is significantly bigger. I can't speak from experience, but I would bet that the larger screen would be more fragile.

Taking a quick spin through the Moto Maker shows a delivery date of next Monday.

Goon phones: Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X. You can probably also look at the Samsung devices and HTC 10.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

eSporks posted:

I can't answer your other questions, but I just got a Pure and the build quality is really, really great for the price. I love the phone, even though it's huge.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
durr, im going to buy some carrier or oem phone *peers down barrel of loaded shotgun* i love these discounted carrer handsets *dusts toaster on the edge of the bathtub* i like all the cool software they bundle *snorts huge line of unlabeled chinese research chemicals*

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
As long as nexus phones don't have dual sim they are trash basically.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Lol

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

NihilismNow posted:

Plus no SD slot or removable battery. Utterly unusable.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hughmoris posted:

Plus no SD slot or removable battery. Utterly unusable.

Don't forget the lack of hardware keyboard

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

e- solved my own problem, i'm an idiot

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 17, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My 5x has a permanent notification about USB for charging now. It goes away sometimes when I connect and disconnect my phone from a power source but it stays a lot when the phone isn't connected to anything. Anyone know what's happening here? Seems to charge fine.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Red_Fred posted:

My 5x has a permanent notification about USB for charging now. It goes away sometimes when I connect and disconnect my phone from a power source but it stays a lot when the phone isn't connected to anything. Anyone know what's happening here? Seems to charge fine.

Blow out the lint in the usb port.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Whizbang posted:

Blow out the lint in the usb port.

I've tried that a couple of times but I'll get in there with some isopropyl alcohol tonight.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Are pentile screens still a thing? We used to bitch about that and hardware key boards in this thread like six years ago. Those were the days.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So I love my OG Moto X, but it's getting old and pieces are starting to break so I'm researching new phones. Naturally, I'm keeping my ears peeled for new Moto products.

Call me crazy, but this...does not look encouraging: http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/17/goodbye-moto-x-hello-moto-z/

That camera is like a little roll of quarters. And external hardware expansions just make me think of the Sega 32X or whatever.

Hrrm. Guess I'll wait and see.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Verge just had a piece all about the doom and gloom of the Moto brand.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/17/11097990/lenovo-motorola-hp-palm-mistakes

Since the sale to Lenovo, I've been worried about timely updates on the Moto phones. That and the screens keep getting pushed up in size from them. Made me get a Nexus 5X to replace my 2014 Moto X.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The fingerprint reader also sticks out like a sore thumb.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark One posted:

The fingerprint reader also sticks out like a sore thumb.

I know there is a joke in here somewhere about fingerprint readers and thumbs, but I just can't put my finger on it

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

Buy the viewmaster from Amazon, target or best buy for like 15$ they are good

Trip VR Report: I got one of these from Amazon the other day, and it is fun as hell. Works great with Moto X [2015]. It's incredibly fun to watch other people use it too that haven't experienced anything like it. My mothers reaction was the best. Random drunk strangers from the bar I was at earlier was pretty great too. It may be a novelty, but for only ~15 dollars it's very entertaining.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

BurritoJustice posted:

I know there is a joke in here somewhere about fingerprint readers and thumbs, but I just can't put my finger on it

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Uthor posted:

The Verge just had a piece all about the doom and gloom of the Moto brand.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/17/11097990/lenovo-motorola-hp-palm-mistakes

Since the sale to Lenovo, I've been worried about timely updates on the Moto phones. That and the screens keep getting pushed up in size from them. Made me get a Nexus 5X to replace my 2014 Moto X.

I just want a phone that is of a usable size. The Moto X was a perfect feel. I don't even have small hands! I'm a pretty big dude! But every manufacturer wants to stretch their flagships into a phablet. :(

Also, it looks like they're getting rid of the convex backside, which is one of my favorite features of the Moto X. That phone is so comfortable to hold, I can't see this one being the same. A drat shame.