Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I took that as meaning that Aldrich ate the painting itself and consumed everything in it, including the weird powers it had. Which gave him the magic to set up the barrier for his pal the Pontiff.

Also I definitely think the Pontiff and Aldrich knew about Yorshka; the area she inhabits is called the Prison Tower. She's being held captive there. If she was put there for her own protection I'd think she would know about it. Instead she's ignorant of the only way into the tower.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Aldrich is like the goddamn Cookie Monster.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the painting still exists because I can't live in a world where my friends the basement bonewheels aren't still around

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Patch 1.07 notes: Added missing bonewheels to the streets of Irithyll.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Patch 1.07 notes: Added missing bonewheels to the streets of Irithyll.

Finally, even more incentive to just skateboard through the entirety of Irithyll as fast as humanly possible.

Internet Kraken posted:

Also I definitely think the Pontiff and Aldrich knew about Yorshka; the area she inhabits is called the Prison Tower. She's being held captive there. If she was put there for her own protection I'd think she would know about it. Instead she's ignorant of the only way into the tower.

If you manage to progress in the Blades of the Darkmoon Covenant (which, hah!), she outright says that Sulyvahn led a coup against Gwyndolin when the latter fell ill, setting himself up as Pontiff (and, thus, effective ruler of Irithyll and Anor Londo) and imprisoning Yorshka in the tower.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 17, 2016

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Okay the forums ate my edit to my FTH post.

I forgot to mention Lightning Stake. It out-damages lesser and greater lightning spears, but is point-blank only. I haven't tested it against Sunlight Spear. The cool thing with it is the animation is identical to the spears. If you start a PvP fight with a couple of spears and a token effort to keep your distance, most people are going to try and rush in to punish you. If you're good at anticipating this you can do a stake instead and end a lot of matchups very decisively. Most people will time their rush to stagger you out of your cast, Unfaltering Prayer is your friend there.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I wish the Firelink Greatsword was better outside of the PvP gimmick of punting people off ledges with the weapon art. I'm trying to do a NG+ gimmick run using all of the Firelink set plus the sword, but it's really pretty poor compared to just sticking with the old straight sword and R1 spamming everything to death. :sigh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Vermain posted:

If you manage to progress in the Blades of the Darkmoon Covenant (which, hah!)

Oh yeah well you know I was totally getting to that... for the lore...

Well poop now I don't know what's what.

5:06 for curious parties
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Qg-FP9TqQ&t=506s

e: Do we know why Gwyndolin fell ill? Is it because the Age of Fire is ending? NK still seems hale aside from his face melting off.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 17, 2016

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, my first character was a quality sword-and-board with some pyro spells to help me out. My second character was a big beeferino with high STR that used Greataxes (now a STR/FTH hybrid, since he's kinda my main file). My third character was a RAW rear end buffer.

Anyone got any fun ideas for a fourth character build that deviates from these other ones?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If I miss a +1 ring in NG+, will it still be there in NG++?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Chard posted:

If I miss a +1 ring in NG+, will it still be there in NG++?

Yup.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Do we know why Gwyndolin fell ill? Is it because the Age of Fire is ending? NK still seems hale aside from his face melting off.

I think it's just "generic illness." There's nothing in the game that indicates that Sulyvahn put a hex on him or whatever, so the most that can be said is that he fell ill and Sulyvahn took the opportunity to usurp him and then feed him to Aldrich.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've killed 250 of these loving slugs without getting a heavy gem. Can anyone confirm that they even drop some, or if there's a better spot to farm a heavy gem?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Vermain posted:

Finally, even more incentive to just skateboard through the entirety of Irithyll as fast as humanly possible.

Whatever dude, the first time in Irithyll I really struggled but now I loving style on those Pontiff Knights and it feels fantastic. Irithyll is possibly my favorite zone in the game now that I got (very slightly) gud.

On my first playthrough I think I died four times in that first little bit with the three Pontiff Knights (I ardently refused to skip a single enemy that game). My last character had a Winged Knight Halberd and clowned those fuckers without taking a single hit.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 17, 2016

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Groovy.

On an unrelated note, with these (semi-scattered) stats would I be better off keeping my Gotthard's at Raw +10 with CMW, or infusing somehow?

Internet Kraken posted:

I've killed 250 of these loving slugs without getting a heavy gem. Can anyone confirm that they even drop some, or if there's a better spot to farm a heavy gem?

I'm pretty sure you can get Heavy Gem from just plain ol' Hollows, I think I just snagged on on the roof near Tower on the Wall with the pus of man.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Vermain posted:

I think it's just "generic illness." There's nothing in the game that indicates that Sulyvahn put a hex on him or whatever, so the most that can be said is that he fell ill and Sulyvahn took the opportunity to usurp him and then feed him to Aldrich.

yeah, all you get from the new priscilla is that sully declared himself pontiff without due process, but there's no indication of what the due process for becoming the pontiff should have been, nor why someone would need to be pontiff in the first place. also, it's something that 100% doesn't exist in DS1, so there's nothing you can fall back on to go "oh that's why some random guy we know nothing about was able to feed a god to a glorified chosen undead".

it's an explanation for a question that was never asked that ends up explaining less than if the line of dialogue was never included in the first place. you know, regular dark souls NPC chatter.

edit: again, the final DLC for DS3 is going to by gwyn, vendrick, and aldia sitting at the end of a featureless hallway that is composed of the same 64x64 neon green poison texture repeated infinitely, and when you attempt to talk to any of them they'll all say "lol nothing matters" before softbanning your character and corrupting your save.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 17, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless poster posted:

edit: again, the final DLC for DS3 is going to by gwyn, vendrick, and aldia sitting at the end of a featureless hallway that is composed of the same 64x64 neon green poison texture repeated infinitely, and when you attempt to talk to any of them they'll all say "lol nothing matters" before softbanning your character and corrupting your save.

Don't be ridiculous. They would all be inside an endless elevator.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Genocyber posted:

The evangelists have a beard you dolt.

But they're ladies

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

I'm sure there's a storied four-game tradition backing this up, but would it have killed them to have 'Reinforce Estus Flask' and 'Burn Undead Bone Shard' appear in their menus only when you actually have one of those items?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Genocyber posted:

Most talismans have the standard one which can be broken but it's tough to do. Saint's Talisman's will break in about two hits of anything. The strongest if that of the Sunlight Talisman which is, AFAIK, unbreakable.

Sunlight Talisman grants 120 DS1-style poise.

Saint's grants 30.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless poster posted:

yeah, all you get from the new priscilla is that sully declared himself pontiff without due process, but there's no indication of what the due process for becoming the pontiff should have been, nor why someone would need to be pontiff in the first place. also, it's something that 100% doesn't exist in DS1, so there's nothing you can fall back on to go "oh that's why some random guy we know nothing about was able to feed a god to a glorified chosen undead".

it's an explanation for a question that was never asked that ends up explaining less than if the line of dialogue was never included in the first place. you know, regular dark souls NPC chatter.

Even a lot of the item descriptions - the mainstay of the piecemeal approach that DS1 took - are too loving vague to say anything about the plot aside from the broadest strokes possible. Like, here's what I've figured out about the backstory/plot:
  • Lothric was a regular ol' kingdom that somehow magically gained a bunch of high walls that weren't there before at some point. Oceiros married Gwynevere/one of Gwynevere's daughters, and they had three kids. The one that was supposed to be the heir was a frail weakling and Oceiros went dragon crazy to try and produce a suitable heir. One of the Queen's maidens was visited by primordial serpents (maybe???) and a civil war broke out over it (I guess???).
  • Farron was a kingdom where they fought the Abyss, but then started going Hollow, which allowed poison (demon?) goop to overtake their kingdom/keep/whatever. They connect directly to the catacombs of an entirely different kingdom, for some reason, which was also built on top of the Demon Ruins, which are slowly dying due to the fading of the Chaos Flame.
  • The Cathedral of the Deep was meant to (I think) ward against Lovecraftian whatevers from the depths of Bloodborne, but Aldrich ate enough people that he thought allying with the Deep was a good idea after some point, and he was able to corrupt everyone else in the Cathedral.
  • The Profaned Capital was another kingdom that had a lot of sorcerers in it that was ruled over by Yhorm, until the humans did something that earned his ire, and he (I guess?) did something involving the Profaned Flame which burned the capital.
  • Irithyll is/was built around Anor Londo and was ruled over by Gwyndolin for a time, until Sulyvahn discovered the Profaned Flame and did... something with it, which allowed him to usurp an ill Gwyndolin and feed him to Aldrich.
It's so fragmented and disjointed and unexplained that it feels unsatisfying to even think about or look into. DS1 was very, very clear about what, say, the Chaos Flame was, what it did, how it was formed, and so on. This game, by comparison, burps out the term "Profaned Flame" in about four item descriptions and then makes it an apparently pivotal concept that multiple characters revolve around.

Tallgeese posted:

Sunlight Talisman grants 120 DS1-style poise.

Saint's grants 30.

I assumed that Saint's was garbage; I hate being proved right.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 17, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Got invaded by a purple just after starting Cathedral. He didn't attack immediately, so I just started running through the level, keeping an eye on my back. He followed me around applauding while I looted everything, unlocked shortcuts, etc. Then when I got to the boss fog, we had an honorable duel. Just barely beat him. Thanks for adding some tension to a zone that's become pretty rote, mad purple bro.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Deckit posted:

Part 2 of killing bosses with the Dancer blades! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhhx8ZU5HU

Abyss Walkers and Sulyvahn were really god drat fun. Having to stop, strategize and reassess when something doesn't work has felt really rewarding. Wolnir is unexciting but I included him for some friends who might like to see him.

Aldrich, Dancer, Ocerios and Dragon Armor are next.

Good poo poo, man. You've got more patience than I do. Have you found a situation in which the L2 spin is useful yet? I kept trying it on bosses and they'd always just armor through the spin and swat me for 3/4 my health.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Melanion posted:

I'm sure there's a storied four-game tradition backing this up, but would it have killed them to have 'Reinforce Estus Flask' and 'Burn Undead Bone Shard' appear in their menus only when you actually have one of those items?

The best part is that the coal/umbral ash prompts don't appear if you don't have the items.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People that try to use the sacred flame glitch in PvP are so sad :(

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

To be fair to From, they probably put it there so that you know to use them there.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

lore

It's so fragmented and disjointed and unexplained that it feels unsatisfying to even think about or look into. DS1 was very, very clear about what, say, the Chaos Flame was, what it did, how it was formed, and so on. This game, by comparison, burps out the term "Profaned Flame" in about four item descriptions and then makes it an apparently pivotal concept that multiple characters revolve around.

They've dipped into the season pass well and gone hollow, fallen to the abyss; these are deliberate loose ends to sell DLC. Besides that though it's really clear that the world is physically contracting - the final area and boss fight, in the burnt-down stump of an archtree are the most obvious example but there's wildly different architecture all crammed together, like the huge causeway the goes over the Farron swamp, and structures literally coming out of the raw stone in Profaned Capital, Irithyll and Anor Londo, etc. We've run out of Undead and are burning the land itself to keep the flame linked.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Played this game like 60 hours. I'm about to defeat the final boss. Just tonight, for the first time in the whole game, I summoned a player and their emotes had words like Hello and Thank you and sounded like it was voiced by that giant actor who played Ray Romano's big brother on Everybody Loves Raymond.

What the gently caress. Please enlighten me!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Feenix posted:

Played this game like 60 hours. I'm about to defeat the final boss. Just tonight, for the first time in the whole game, I summoned a player and their emotes had words like Hello and Thank you and sounded like it was voiced by that giant actor who played Ray Romano's big brother on Everybody Loves Raymond.

What the gently caress. Please enlighten me!

Trade some pickle pees and pump a rums to get sweet swag

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vermain posted:

Even a lot of the item descriptions - the mainstay of the piecemeal approach that DS1 took - are too loving vague to say anything about the plot aside from the broadest strokes possible. Like, here's what I've figured out about the backstory/plot:
  • Lothric was a regular ol' kingdom that somehow magically gained a bunch of high walls that weren't there before at some point. Oceiros married Gwynevere/one of Gwynevere's daughters, and they had three kids. The one that was supposed to be the heir was a frail weakling and Oceiros went dragon crazy to try and produce a suitable heir. One of the Queen's maidens was visited by primordial serpents (maybe???) and a civil war broke out over it (I guess???).
  • Farron was a kingdom where they fought the Abyss, but then started going Hollow, which allowed poison (demon?) goop to overtake their kingdom/keep/whatever. They connect directly to the catacombs of an entirely different kingdom, for some reason, which was also built on top of the Demon Ruins, which are slowly dying due to the fading of the Chaos Flame.
  • The Cathedral of the Deep was meant to (I think) ward against Lovecraftian whatevers from the depths of Bloodborne, but Aldrich ate enough people that he thought allying with the Deep was a good idea after some point, and he was able to corrupt everyone else in the Cathedral.
  • The Profaned Capital was another kingdom that had a lot of sorcerers in it that was ruled over by Yhorm, until the humans did something that earned his ire, and he (I guess?) did something involving the Profaned Flame which burned the capital.
  • Irithyll is/was built around Anor Londo and was ruled over by Gwyndolin for a time, until Sulyvahn discovered the Profaned Flame and did... something with it, which allowed him to usurp an ill Gwyndolin and feed him to Aldrich.

Wanted to point out some stuff about each of these, the heir to Lothric's king is actually Lorian, who is the eldest child and much like the eldest child of Gwyn was actually a really good warrior. The second son is a frail weak child who is more suited to a type of magic then physical battle, another similarity to the children of Gwyn. Oceiros isn't trying to produce a suitable heir, he's trying to become a Dragon and in his madness thinks his last child is also part dragon, or possibly had become a dragon already and had that last child. His wife left after this and is possibly Rosaria, either because she discovered what Oceiros was doing or the civil war made her leave.

Farron Keep is not a kingdom at all, in fact it's a league of warriors who hold no allegiance to any kingdom and just go around fighting the Abyss. After they linked and then came back some of them are being tainted by the abyss/deep which may or may not be the same thing and thus the red eyed ones are being killed by the ones who are still sane, they aren't hollowing from what I understand. The Catacombs of Carthus are deeply misplaced, as are the ruins of Izalith, I think having them connected to Farron Keep is a bit of a trick, they're actually part of Yhorm's stuff and the Profaned Flame is the Flame of Chaos.

Sulyvahn possibly worked under Gwyndolin for a time, hence why he has one blade that's Dark/Sorcery based. Also he's probably the head of the Cathedral of the Deep, with 3 Archdeacons beneath him and Aldrich as their target of worship. I'm guessing both he and Aldrich left Irythyll/Anor Londo and one joined the Cathedral of the Deep, which at the time was meant to protect against not work for said Deep, whilst the other found the Profaned Capitol which only had the jailors left. Sulyvahn returns with his brand new Greatsword meanwhile Aldrich becomes the horribly sludge monster and is forced to link the First Flame. Gwyndolin falls ill and Sulyvahn takes control of Anor Londo/Irythyll by force, instating his own Knights and the members of the Cathedral of the Deep in place of Gwyndolin's Darkmoon Blades and the Silver Knights. Anyone who is likely to overthrow him is sent out as an Outrider Knight or handed over to the Jailors. Whilst Gwyndolin and Yorshka are kept in the Old Cathedral and Sulyvahn rules from his new one, perhaps to keep up the illusion that he's ruling on Gwyndolin's behalf, hence his Darkmoon style sword. When the Lords of Cinder rise from their Graves he sends someone to pick up Aldrich and tries to feed Yorshka and Gwyndolin to him, but Yorshka escapes without him noticing.

Finally Yhorm's story is interesting, his ancestor was a horrible tyrant (Wolnir?) and yet his people still asked for him to rule and protect them, so he does so and is a good king, he goes to link the flame out of choice but something goes weird, presumably it's to do with the Profaned Flame of Chaos hence all the fire thematics and stuff.

It doesn't help that because each of the Lords of Cinder linked the fire they are all from different time periods, I'm pretty sure Ludleth is the latest one because he's directly to blame for all the weird stuff that's happening this time as he willed himself a Lord. Lothric/Lorian are probably the one directly before him. The Abyss Watchers considering who founded them are probably the earliest, Yhorm is probably from around DS2 time and Aldrich is after both of those. Although Pontiff Sulyvahn might be actually from the current time period and not from Aldrich's time at all, which would allow Aldrich to be before Yhorm instead of after.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 17, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mazerunner posted:

Trade some pickle pees and pump a rums to get sweet swag

Nice. Where do I get HELLLOOOOO and THAAAAANK YOUUUUU!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just invaded a pair of guys two-handing havel's greatshield and was filled with disgust :regd09:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Profaned Flame is probably the Chaos Flame, but it's hard to say.

Its Japanese name is the "Fire of Sin".

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

The best part is that the coal/umbral ash prompts don't appear if you don't have the items.

For that matter, 'Heal the dark sigil' serves no purpose after you do it. There's no way to get more of the drat things if you've already borked that quest.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

pulp rag posted:

So, my first character was a quality sword-and-board with some pyro spells to help me out. My second character was a big beeferino with high STR that used Greataxes (now a STR/FTH hybrid, since he's kinda my main file). My third character was a RAW rear end buffer.

Anyone got any fun ideas for a fourth character build that deviates from these other ones?

Anyone?

I'm thinking of doing a lovely weapons run and using nothing but fist weapons, scythes, whips, and any other weapon type that does fairly poo poo damage. Y'know, excluding the Broken Straight Sword, since I want to actually beat the game in a timely manner.

Or go with an archer build for shits and gigs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lord_Magmar posted:

whilst the other found the Profaned Capitol which only had the jailors left.

The Jailers are in Irithyll Dungeon, though, where it's fairly clear Sulyvahn stuffed miscreants and experiments, imo. It's totally possible he stole them from the Profaned Capital, mind you, but my interpretation is that he used his existing resources to breach it and the Capital we see is basically almost entirely infested by Sully's troops.

The Jailer brands are quite probably Chaos weapons, but they could as easily be obtained by Sulyvahn experimenting with poo poo of which man was not meant to wot, which is kind of his thing.

I do like your hypothesis that Sulyvahn used to be a Darkmoon, though. It's not the one I personally am going with, but it has its charms.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I didn't even think about Sulyvahn being from a more recent time than Aldrich. That's an extremely compelling proposition.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 17, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fast stuff. Try things like the Brigand Twindaggers, use thrusting swords and parrying, or go full bleed-heavy. Or some combination of these things.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know, I've used a bunch of weapons that specifically mention being able to sneak past shields and they sure as hell don't. Like, I'm testing out the man-serpent hatchet and the war cry skill says it pierces through shields to inflict direct damage. I just hit a guy with the shield of want several times and it did no damage.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Jailers are in Irithyll Dungeon, though, where it's fairly clear Sulyvahn stuffed miscreants and experiments, imo.

The jailer's set specifically mentions that they are the only survivors of the Profaned Capital. Possibly because they are distantly related to the ones who caused the profaned flame to go up in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Try the R2?