Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm generally happy with this game's balance, and I've gotten close to beating the top-meta list with a list that's definitely not meta, but I do think there are a couple nails sticking up that could use some hammering.

I'm a NYC player and the top 3 lists in the Long Island regional were exactly the same. Wampa, Palp, OL, Inquisitor. That's pretty...like, man, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hey Chemmy I'm ready to rumble when you are, gimme a poke in the Steam group chat when you're ready.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm not sure they considered the Wampa + Palpatine angle at all. The Gozanti TIEs were pretty obviously designed to work together. Youngster (with Marksmanship), Wampa & Scourge are the kind of combo the designers often come up with that they think is a clever idea but nobody uses.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You have to keep in mind that these are the people who thought putting Opportunist on Omega Ace was a super cool and good idea.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endman posted:

You have to keep in mind that these are the people who thought putting Opportunist on Omega Ace was a super cool and good idea.

That's certainly cute, but I can't imagine taking it over PtL.

I'm thinking they might not have anticipated just how good PtL actually is.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Strobe vs. Chemmy, round 2 of the X-wing league is happening now.

Room: goonxwing
Pass: lljk

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Yeah it's just straight up not as good :v:

Also not on a B-Wing or at PS 8, or with the ability to take a gun that basically always crits. Not that B-Wings are really amazing for aces or anything, but hey.

Some Numbers posted:

That's certainly cute, but I can't imagine taking it over PtL.

I'm thinking they might not have anticipated just how good PtL actually is.

They generally know, they just generally don't put the absolute best combos in their articles. If they did it would pretty much always be Predator, PtL, or VI, etc etc, and they are trying to sell the game to people outside the tournament scene. The playtesters aren't all FFG employees, they're groups/individuals that place well in tournaments and whatnot generally.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
4 player room BOOOOOOOOOOO. not enough slots to watch xwings!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Herux posted:

4 player room BOOOOOOOOOOO. not enough slots to watch xwings!

booo these men (not herux, the other ones)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Good game Strobe, I got my rear end kicked.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Strobe victorious over Chemmy, 100-0.

First real round of combat the Inquisitor took shots from all three X-wings, ended up with a hull damage and two stress. He had to disengage to avoid exploding from nasty glares, and ended up not shooting again for the rest of the game; Wedge dispatched him a couple turns later. Omega Leader and Ryad tried to take out an X-wing, and Ryad actually came very close on two separate occasions, but stupid-hot green dice on my part and Wes's token stripping meant that Juke only came into play once or twice, and Wes skated out with one hull left and no astromech, while Wedge similarly lacked more than one hull but still had the R2 to burn. Luke ended with no shields but also no hull damage.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

How playable is Echo? I saw http://randolphw.github.io/echolocation/?tiephantom&echo&0,1,2,4,6,8&&27 and it makes me want to play the game from sheer misery I can inflict to myself and my opponent.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

raverrn posted:

How playable is Echo? I saw http://randolphw.github.io/echolocation/?tiephantom&echo&0,1,2,4,6,8&&27 and it makes me want to play the game from sheer misery I can inflict to myself and my opponent.

Echo's good, a ton of fun. A very skill-sensitive ship (in that one error will get you wriggity wriggity rekt) but capable of incredible shenanigans.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Strobe posted:

Strobe victorious over Chemmy, 100-0.

First real round of combat the Inquisitor took shots from all three X-wings, ended up with a hull damage and two stress. He had to disengage to avoid exploding from nasty glares, and ended up not shooting again for the rest of the game; Wedge dispatched him a couple turns later. Omega Leader and Ryad tried to take out an X-wing, and Ryad actually came very close on two separate occasions, but stupid-hot green dice on my part and Wes's token stripping meant that Juke only came into play once or twice, and Wes skated out with one hull left and no astromech, while Wedge similarly lacked more than one hull but still had the R2 to burn. Luke ended with no shields but also no hull damage.

I hosed up with the Inquisitor early and couldn't get Omega Leader into the fight. I think Ryad pulled her weight, but I couldn't capitalize on the few mistakes Strobe made and he flew real well aside from a couple bumps.

I'd like a rematch some time just because it was a good game and it's good to learn from better opponents, but I think that game was over in like turn 3.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sadly, I was beaten by Canyonero after my 2x VCX-100 list whiffed THREE seperate 5-die attacks, but not even hard enough to trigger gunner.

I took 46 of his points.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chemmy posted:

I hosed up with the Inquisitor early and couldn't get Omega Leader into the fight. I think Ryad pulled her weight, but I couldn't capitalize on the few mistakes Strobe made and he flew real well aside from a couple bumps.

I'd like a rematch some time just because it was a good game and it's good to learn from better opponents, but I think that game was over in like turn 3.

I was fortunate that most of my positioning mistakes came while the Inquisitor was out of position. I had one bad bump with Luke on Omega Leader that landed him on a rock by the tiniest, barest of margins, and then parked him there again late in the game that should have ended it but meant that it went on another turn. Definitely not enough to capitalize on, and you needed me to make mistakes after the first real round of shooting to pull it out.

You did pretty good on using Ryad. Having to guess when you were going to turn around made a significant difference in at least two of my maneuvers, and I ended up picking wrong on both of them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It also didn't help that your list is "death to imperial aces" and I run three mini aces no Palp. I'm not sure if I had the Inq I'd have won, but I probably would have made a game of it.

On to next week I suppose.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey Strobe your advice of being suicidally aggressive with Xwings worked. I kturned Poe through a rock...and then 2 forwarded back through, but it let him take out a 5 hp Jonus and a 3 hp Redline without taking return fire. Sure I took a hit on both times but I think if I played it safe I would've totally lost.

Also apparently there's an escalation tournament going on this weekend, and I have no idea how to set up a list for that. I also don't want to steal your ideas. Is there any good general advice on how to plan for one?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I can't wait to play my game against Major Isoor. Time zones will make it rough, but we're gonna try for some time this weekend.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Eimi posted:

Hey Strobe your advice of being suicidally aggressive with Xwings worked. I kturned Poe through a rock...and then 2 forwarded back through, but it let him take out a 5 hp Jonus and a 3 hp Redline without taking return fire. Sure I took a hit on both times but I think if I played it safe I would've totally lost.

Also apparently there's an escalation tournament going on this weekend, and I have no idea how to set up a list for that. I also don't want to steal your ideas. Is there any good general advice on how to plan for one?

:getin:

X-wings are awesome, and stories of X-wings doing awesome things are awesome.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I can't wait to play my game against Major Isoor. Time zones will make it rough, but we're gonna try for some time this weekend.

Yeah, when is this week's/game's cut-off again, Strobe? We should be able to get this sorted out Saturday morning (Friday evening US central time), but we've also got Sunday morning/midday (Adelaide time) as well, as a backup. Should be good!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm deliberately not being terribly strict about it. Get it done when you can, in the general timeframe of one week.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, when is this week's/game's cut-off again, Strobe? We should be able to get this sorted out Saturday morning (Friday evening US central time), but we've also got Sunday morning/midday (Adelaide time) as well, as a backup. Should be good!

I think we're good. Last round was like two weeks or something. :)

Strobe, where's that list of lists?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I still haven't gotten all of them! Otherwise they'd already be posted.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Time to start naming names, bro.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

I've played in a grand total of one Escalation tournament which makes me eminently qualified to offer advice.

The key seems to be to make sure your starting 60 points is a nice, solid core you can build on. If a ship needs a bunch of upgrades to work (i.e. Soontir) then don't just stick a naked version in your list thinking "oh I'll upgrade him on the next pass" unless you're okay with the idea that you might lose the first round, maybe first two if you can't budget accordingly. For example, I thought about making Horton Salm my second round addition but found that he cost too many points to get him plus a turret, so I dropped him down to Dutch + turret even though in the long run Horton is generally better at both TLTing and torpedoing because I'd have rather had the turret earlier.

At the thread's recommendation my starting 60 was Wedge + Predator and Luke. In hindsight I think I would have probably rather had Wedge and maybe an R2 w/Integrated Astro and Wes + VI because what I noticed is that I missed Wes' ability to strip tokens more than I liked having Predator early, especially in the current environment...the first list I played, and the one that eventually went on to win the whole shebang, was a Scum list that made liberal use of Deadeye'd missiles with Guidance Chips, and at the 60 point level that's a brutal start that you can build around. Having Wes would have, I think, helped me manage that more effectively. You probably won't see triple U-boats, but effective ordnance alpha strikes can still be dangerous at lower points levels.

Look at ships you might not otherwise consider in standard 100 point format, especially if they're inexpensive, because decent inexpensive ships will allow you to spend some of your between-round budget on upgrading other ships. Likewise, even with a ton of extra points to play with in the later rounds don't go nuts overloading your ships with all the extras beyond what they need to do the job you have in mind for them...in other words, don't just give all your ships torpedoes because you can, it's still a good idea to treat ship comp with the 100 point mindset, and adding additional ships will usually go further in a lot of cases than loading down the ones you already have. Other people are going to start having extra ships too, so be ready for that. Assume that by the third round most people are going to have a minimum of four ships, maybe three if someone felt like trying to build up a list around a big ship, and be prepared accordingly.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Strobe posted:

ConfusedUs posted:

Time to start naming names, bro.

Yeah, nothing a bit of peer pressure can't fix! I'm sure if you mentioned them here, they might suddenly start coming in :D

EDIT: Also ConfusedUs, is there a backstory regarding your avatar? I've always wondered as it seems pretty good, but never got around to asking, heh

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 17, 2016

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I also have an escalation tournament this weekend. I am a little worried about going up against Omega Leader in the first or second round. He can be paired with Vader (everything but VI) or Soontir (minus stealth device or juke on OL) to make a somewhat hard to kill list.

Aside from going with VI Wes and Wedge, any tips for dealing with OL?

I am seriously thinking about trying a K-Wing with Sabine, Prox mines, Seismic Charges, and Extra Munitions paired with Jake (PtL, VI, Autothrusters, Chaardin) as my opening list. I had fun (but lost 2 of 3 games) tonight with those 2 with Nera Dantels added in. Everyone always forgets about the bombs, and if I thought about including Sabine, I might have gotten at least one more win.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Eimi posted:

K-turning through rocks is a great move that nobody ever seems to expect. I'm not getting actions anyway, so I may as well risk everything to gently caress the enemy's poo poo up! :black101:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Also ConfusedUs, is there a backstory regarding your avatar? I've always wondered as it seems pretty good, but never got around to asking, heh

Yes. You got archives?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2834527&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post343451194

If no, someone cut/pasted it here:
http://adorabloodthirsty.proboards.com/thread/159

Orvin posted:

I also have an escalation tournament this weekend. I am a little worried about going up against Omega Leader in the first or second round. He can be paired with Vader (everything but VI) or Soontir (minus stealth device or juke on OL) to make a somewhat hard to kill list.

Aside from going with VI Wes and Wedge, any tips for dealing with OL?

I am seriously thinking about trying a K-Wing with Sabine, Prox mines, Seismic Charges, and Extra Munitions paired with Jake (PtL, VI, Autothrusters, Chaardin) as my opening list. I had fun (but lost 2 of 3 games) tonight with those 2 with Nera Dantels added in. Everyone always forgets about the bombs, and if I thought about including Sabine, I might have gotten at least one more win.

Wes + Stresshog would shut it down pretty hard.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
More than OLeader plus Soontir or Vader I'd be wary of OLeader plus the Inquisitor, both of which you can fully trick out for 60 points.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

More than OLeader plus Soontir or Vader I'd be wary of OLeader plus the Inquisitor, both of which you can fully trick out for 60 points.

This is my go to 60 point list for casual games at the moment and it seems like a nightmare for people to face off against.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

This is my go to 60 point list for casual games at the moment and it seems like a nightmare for people to face off against.

It is super fuckin' rough, especially since your next 30 points can simply be a Palpshuttle no waiting. My buddy Josh who's a consistently good Palp aces player used this at the same tournament and while the crazy Scum guy still won Josh still came in like 3rd or something.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My alt art Poe arrived safely in Australia today! Thanks Admiral Joeslop!

e: Where I live there is a monthly 60 point tournament and OLeader has been banned because at that point level he is just too good.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 17, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endman posted:

K-turning through rocks is a great move that nobody ever seems to expect. I'm not getting actions anyway, so I may as well risk everything to gently caress the enemy's poo poo up! :black101:

It'd have been better if I didn't put myself in a position where literally any other move was a drive through the rock, but hey, it wasn't a bomb or getting shot at so it worked out. Or if the two turns before that when Poe lost his shield he didn't get bumped and thus unable to fix them...thankfully I didn't get shot either.

I might have to abandon my Poe + Red Ace + Miranda + Wedge plans then as they are all too expensive.

However, I could start off with Cracken + Poe pretty much fully kitted out, whatever kitted out on Cracken is. VI + Clusters + Chimps? (Assuming I can borrow a chimps.)

Cracken is Poe insurance and while Kyle does that job better I don't own a Hwk nor do I want to own a Hwk. :colbert:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

raverrn posted:

In this meta? Ehhhhhh...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

zVxTeflon posted:

In this meta? Ehhhhhh...

Echo moreso than Soontir or even her pal Whisper is a ship that lives or dies on how skilled you are. If you're good at predicting your opponent's moves then Echo can be absolutely brutal, slipping around the board like crazy and pulling off moves no one else can, the ultimate arc dodger. If you aren't good then Echo is gonna get wrecked in a hurry. The fact that her PS is effectively 8 (because you're going to run VI + Advanced Cloaking Device on her, let's not kid ourselves here) actually puts her in an interesting spot in the current meta because a lot of people are forgoing PS9 ships to hang out down in the 8's, which means that one of her big drawbacks (having to wait for PS9 aces to shoot first, potentially killing her while decloaked) is slightly lessened, but it's still no guarantee especially since people do love them some Soontir, Vader, and PS10 Poe or Corran still. Of course in theory you can dance her somewhere she can't get shot at and thus mitigate that risk entirely, but again this isn't an easy thing to accomplish without a lot of hard work.

tl;dr Echo is Hard Mode for crazy ace ships but actually has commensurate rewards for those able to make it work instead of just being a challenge for challenge's sake. I like her more than Whisper even though Whisper is ostensibly the "better" Phantom pilot, though I'm not arrogant enough to think I've come close to really mastering how to use her.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

alg posted:

5 of 19 Palp Aces at this regional made top 8:

http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=1643

3 of top 4 were the same Palp aces list.

Palpatine is the very definition of meta deforming. People can argue that he's not that strong but numbers don't lie really.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Indeed I do! Jesus Christ, that is insane - although I'm glad I got to read that, so I know the story and can be grateful that I don't play RPGs with people like that! :D (We've got one pretty bad on-and-off player in the group, but he's different)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So in case there was any doubt about what Rogue One will bring to X-Wings...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/big-news-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-character-names-ships-descriptions-more/

There will be two new ships, the U-Wing ("balances speed with the firepower of proton torpedo launchers") on the Rebel side and the TIE Striker ("an aerial assault vehicle") for the Imperials, as well as I'm sure new X-Wing, Y-Wing, and probably a variety of new TIE pilots.

• Locked thread