Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Harrow posted:

So, you're saying the DLC is balanced around endgame levels? I don't remember what level my Geralt is. I think I just want to avoid overpowering the DLC and just steamrolling through on numbers alone.

But this also isn't the first time I've been warned not to go to NG+ in TW3 so maybe that oughta be a hint.

There is a noticeable difficulty spike in the dlc that you will feel very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

So, you're saying the DLC is balanced around endgame levels? I don't remember what level my Geralt is. I think I just want to avoid overpowering the DLC and just steamrolling through on numbers alone.

But this also isn't the first time I've been warned not to go to NG+ in TW3 so maybe that oughta be a hint.

You cannot overpower the DLC it's the hardest stuff in the game!

Heart of Stone already is, and Blood and Wine is going to be for even higher levels.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought that the thing with hos was that you had to do it with a premade, unequippen Geralt.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Calaveron posted:

I thought that the thing with hos was that you had to do it with a premade, unequippen Geralt.

There's an option to play a game version that just has HoS and most of the side quests/witcher contracts with the main quest stripped out or you can do HoS at any point during the main game.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I finished the Baron/Ladies of the Forest questline.

Sheesh, that's some extremely grim and depressing storytelling.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

I finished the Baron/Ladies of the Forest questline.

Sheesh, that's some extremely grim and depressing storytelling.

Yeah, it's one of the high points of the writing in the game but very grim.

You're about a quarter way through the base game :v:

it's HUGE

Edit:

White Orchard + Velen is Peasant Misery Simulator and probably the largest quarter of the game. Partly I think that's due to it being early game and new players still figuring things out, lots of open space for exploration, traveling, and combat with wild monsters.

Novigrad is a city so there's less traveling and combat. It's very dialogue-heavy.

Skellige is usually the last zone players will visit and since it's higher level you'll probably alternate Skellige stuff with the later game main quest. There might be a little less content here overall but it's also where players will probably end the game with the most unfinished quests, too.

Kaer Morhen and revisiting a bunch of places for the mid/late game main quest stuff.

All of those are roughly a quarter of the game content, I think. HoS expansion is a little smaller than one of those.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 14, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I haven't bothered checking out the different outcomes yet, but I ended up with killing a village because of hell horse, Anna dying (but hey at least she got a few last non-insane words in to her daughter and the Baron), and the Baron hanging himself. The kids were no where to be found thought?? maybe they were saved, I hope.

That was hella heavy, blow after blow each turn until the very end of that quest. I think the most dissapointing thing in the Witcher 3 up to now is the fact I CAN'T KILL THE MOTEHRFUCKING CRONES? but gently caress, after giving up their information on Ciri and what they did to Anna and outright sending a Fiend at me, I do hope my hellhorse ends up fuckin 'em up or something.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

I haven't bothered checking out the different outcomes yet, but I ended up with killing a village because of hell horse, Anna dying (but hey at least she got a few last non-insane words in to her daughter and the Baron), and the Baron hanging himself. The kids were no where to be found thought?? maybe they were saved, I hope.

That was hella heavy, blow after blow each turn until the very end of that quest. I think the most dissapointing thing in the Witcher 3 up to now is the fact I CAN'T KILL THE MOTEHRFUCKING CRONES? but gently caress, after giving up their information on Ciri and what they did to Anna and outright sending a Fiend at me, I do hope my hellhorse ends up fuckin 'em up or something.

re: kids, if you're fairly thorough exploring Novigrad (the next big zone) you'll find out what happened to them :unsmith:

specifically, at the schoolhouse

Edit: completely unrelated, but I was just thinking through all the big quests and it occurs to me that Geralt is really into exploring dungeons in the company of a sorceress. ;)

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 14, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

The Crones come back later.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Now go check out what's going on at Baron's place after he's gone.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Palpek posted:

Now go check out what's going on at Baron's place after he's gone.

:saddowns: is that what triggers the me stopping two groups of baron's henchmen robbing peasants / raping wives and daughters?

I AM BRAWW fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 14, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I'm level 13, how do I get back to Kaer Morhen to get the Wolf gear? There's no roadsign to fast travel to..

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can't for a while.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Also don't make the same mistake I did and double check to see if you got the Wolf gear DLC installed before kaer morhen.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You get to Kaer Morhen around your 20s if you're thorough clearing Peasant Misery Simulator, Snatch and Vikings. At which point you might as well head straight for upgraded wolf gear.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm level 13, how do I get back to Kaer Morhen to get the Wolf gear? There's no roadsign to fast travel to..
You can't access it until after you complete the story in Skellige and Novigrad.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
So that makes the base Wolf armor set useless? That's odd.

The camera placement for this is perfect, too lol.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
can i just drop bolts near the main smith i use and they will stay there? i just realized i have a mtric fuckton of tracking/split/boardhead/precision/etc and I can't even use any of these or sell them and they are the main cause of me being overburdened lol

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I AM BRAWW posted:

can i just drop bolts near the main smith i use and they will stay there? i just realized i have a mtric fuckton of tracking/split/boardhead/precision/etc and I can't even use any of these or sell them and they are the main cause of me being overburdened lol
There should be storage chests at some of the inns around the world. They are marked on the map.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

There should be storage chests at some of the inns around the world. They are marked on the map.

Mostly just too lazy to run back up Crow's Perch lol

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
That was a random Pulp Fiction reference in Crows Perch. Two guards in the basement of the castle.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lucas Archer posted:

That was a random Pulp Fiction reference in Crows Perch. Two guards in the basement of the castle.

It's not the only Pulp Fiction reference.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

Did they remove the ability to sell bolts? You couldn't sell them when the game first came out, then a later patch enabled you to sell them to merchants. It was kind of cheap, though, because bolts sold for a lot of money and, as you said, you get a metric fuckton of them over the course of the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing through Witcher 2. oh man dethmold I forgot how awesomely creepy you were.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Did they remove the ability to sell bolts? You couldn't sell them when the game first came out, then a later patch enabled you to sell them to merchants. It was kind of cheap, though, because bolts sold for a lot of money and, as you said, you get a metric fuckton of them over the course of the game.
I remember one merchant on the Novigrad docks was like the only person I could sell them to.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I started playing this near the end of March and sunk a few hours in every day or so, including the DLC, and finally finished the ending last night after seemingly running out of non-Gwent/race secondary quests and beating all the Witcher Contracts.

What an amazing loving game. Goddamn.

I had previously just started getting into it and just got out of White Orchard last year when my PS4 got stolen, and didn't want to restart after not really feeling the first few hours. Restarted in March, only to realize I'd barely scratched the surface on that area with all the ? and whatnot and got super hooked.

I'd feel sad that it's finally over, but thank gently caress for DLC coming out in two weeks and a season pass I forgot I got. It's also nice not to be afraid of spoiler tags anymore while skimming through the thread.

What the gently caress am I supposed to do now with all the extra hours in my day :smith:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I finished the main quest like last weekend Got the Ciri empress ending, I feel like it was super sad for Geralt even if that was the "good" ending. . I am playing on PS4, trying to finish up trophies for the platinum before I go into the DLC stuff. All I am missing is the marksman trophy. It is really annoying. The headshot detection is awful in this game. I am doing the whole Devil's Pit -> fast travel to Vizema -> repeat thing. Only getting 2-4 head shots per run sucks. But I will get it eventually!

Anyways, I want to talk about the game. I never really played any of these games before. I own 1 and 2 on steam, purchased during sales for basically nothing. I tried 1, never got out of Kaer Morhen due to being too dumb for the wonky combat. I played 2 for a few hours, but it ran like poo poo on my PC at the time so I quit. I wish 3 had a more detailed backstory before the game. I kinda went in blind, and had no idea who like 90% of the characters were. The glossary was helpful, and I read all that poo poo. and I read a ton of the books in game as well, but I still finished the game feeling like I barely knew what was going on. But I enjoyed it a lot. One of my favorite games ever for sure.

My main gripes with the game are the controls. They are mushy, and unresponsive as gently caress. Other than that, this game is perfect.

How are the books? Worth reading? This whole world is really interesting to me. I want more :D

Also I am level 37, with all the places of power found and maxed out Bear school gear. I want to respec into something different for the DLC. I did a alchemy build for the deathmarch difficulty, and once you hit level ~17 it's basically godlike. Heavy armor(bear school) + Tawny Owl(especially broken at night time once you upgrade) + rage management + Dancing star with shrapnel upgrades + oils, + 25% health per potion chugged, + Archgriffen/Ekhidna decoction combo+ all the HP buffs from the green mutagens is ridiculously powerful. You basically can't die once you get enough skillpoints. Also had a few points in signs for Axii_>Puppet, which is crazy powerful for big groups.

Can someone recommend a build that plays considerably different than my current one? I basically just oil up, toss bombs to get everything burning/frozen/poisoned/staggered then hack away until everything is dead.

Alchemy in this game is one of the things I really enjoyed. Most games, potions are just crap taking up your inventory space. But potions/oils/decoctions are crazy powerful here. I love that.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 17, 2016

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

21 Hoot Salute posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do now with all the extra hours in my day :smith:

now start up new game+ :getin:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dirt posted:

So I finished the main quest like last weekend Got the Ciri empress ending, I feel like it was super sad for Geralt even if that was the "good" ending. . I am playing on PS4, trying to finish up trophies for the platinum before I go into the DLC stuff. All I am missing is the marksman trophy. It is really annoying. The headshot detection is awful in this game. I am doing the whole Devil's Pit -> fast travel to Vizema -> repeat thing. Only getting 2-4 head shots per run sucks. But I will get it eventually!

Anyways, I want to talk about the game. I never really played any of these games before. I own 1 and 2 on steam, purchased during sales for basically nothing. I tried 1, never got out of Kaer Morhen due to being too dumb for the wonky combat. I played 2 for a few hours, but it ran like poo poo on my PC at the time so I quit. I wish 3 had a more detailed backstory before the game. I kinda went in blind, and had no idea who like 90% of the characters were. The glossary was helpful, and I read all that poo poo. and I read a ton of the books in game as well, but I still finished the game feeling like I barely knew what was going on. But I enjoyed it a lot. One of my favorite games ever for sure.

My main gripes with the game are the controls. They are mushy, and unresponsive as gently caress. Other than that, this game is perfect.

How are the books? Worth reading? This whole world is really interesting to me. I want more :D

Also I am level 37, with all the places of power found and maxed out Bear school gear. I want to respec into something different for the DLC. I did a alchemy build for the deathmarch difficulty, and once you hit level ~17 it's basically godlike. Heavy armor(bear school) + Tawny Owl(especially broken at night time once you upgrade) + rage management + Dancing star with shrapnel upgrades + oils, + 25% health per potion chugged, + Archgriffen/Ekhidna decoction combo+ all the HP buffs from the green mutagens is ridiculously powerful. You basically can't die once you get enough skillpoints. Also had a few points in signs for Axii_>Puppet, which is crazy powerful for big groups.

Can someone recommend a build that plays considerably different than my current one? I basically just oil up, toss bombs to get everything burning/frozen/poisoned/staggered then hack away until everything is dead.

Alchemy in this game is one of the things I really enjoyed. Most games, potions are just crap taking up your inventory space. But potions/oils/decoctions are crazy powerful here. I love that.

Don't worry, anyone who hadn't read the books would have gone through pretty much the same, "who the gently caress are these people?" thing. I think it did a pretty good job personally. The last two games basically would have only really introduced you to characters you meet in the Novigrad section, your witcher buddies, Síle and Philippa. Ciri and Yen are only mentioned in flashbacks.

The last two games are still pretty good, but Witcher 1 definitely shows its age in some of its quest design around the second act.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 17, 2016

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Dirt posted:

Did you ever try the alternative movement setting? I think that's what it's called.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Interesting thing in Witcher 2. The elf you can interrogate in henselt's camp drops a major hint about who ordered the assassinations. He mentions that serrit and auckes speak the elder tongue much better than geralt, and that just happens to be the national language of nilfgaard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Best ending is Ciri and Geralt as itinerant Witcher bros

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Interesting thing in Witcher 2. The elf you can interrogate in henselt's camp drops a major hint about who ordered the assassinations. He mentions that serrit and auckes speak the elder tongue much better than geralt, and that just happens to be the national language of nilfgaard.
I was worried playing Witcher 2 the first time starting out that it was going to turn into an MA version of Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?

"I heard the assassin mention something about going to finish the job with one of the remaining Northern Kingdoms King"
"I remember that assassin had a really strong interest in learning the Dwarfish tongue"
"He seemed really interested in lifting curses"

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

necrobobsledder posted:

I was worried playing Witcher 2 the first time starting out that it was going to turn into an MA version of Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?

"I heard the assassin mention something about going to finish the job with one of the remaining Northern Kingdoms King"
"I remember that assassin had a really strong interest in learning the Dwarfish tongue"
"He seemed really interested in lifting curses"
Between the books and games, there's probably enough lore and history to make Where in the Northlands is Letho of Gulet?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tupperwarez posted:

Between the books and games, there's probably enough lore and history to make Where in the Northlands is Letho of Gulet?

Only if after going all over and putting all the clues together you figure out that he had been in Gulet all along.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZearothK posted:

Only if after going all over and putting all the clues together you figure out that he had been in Gulet all along.

Well he did want Triss to take him to Aedirn, where Gulet is. But then, Geralt had never been to Rivia either.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dirt posted:

Books are really good and will definitely scratch the itch if you want more Witcher. The first 2 are especially easy to pick up because they're collections of short stories so you can finish them in small chunks if you want.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Best ending is Ciri and Geralt as itinerant Witcher bros

:agreed:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Corinne Tilly? More like Corinne Titty :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Ronvid ran into him the 3rd time, was really fuckin surprised when Geralt did a finisher animation on him and sliced his head off in slow-motion due to my Blizzard potion, lol. kind of felt bad, since i expected him to yield. oh well.