Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

Wow, sorry I can't recognize a food I don't see very often in a crappy over-magnified phone photo I guess.

*looking at one of the most ubiquitous seafood items on earth* hmm this could be uh.. *squints harder* uh..... a small pastry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Boy, it's almost like experiences you take for granted aren't shared amongst the entire human race! How amazing.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 16, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wow someone's mad about shramp

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Control Volume posted:

*looking at one of the most ubiquitous seafood items on earth* hmm this could be uh.. *squints harder* uh..... a small pastry.

lmao

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

Boy, it's almost like experiences you take for granted aren't shared amongst the entire human race! How amazing.
Shrimp don't even enter the top ten most eaten seafood species in the UK.

Most people can identify them and evidently you are not most people. Don't feel bad - there are people who work extremely hard at being different. To you it comes naturally.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Shrimp are not exotic in the UK, maybe you should consider getting your eyes checked out?

Seriously, not being a dick, there's a whole world of defined leaves on trees out there that a quick optometrist trip can reveal for you :)

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
While we usually call them prawns they are in the top five most eaten seafood in the UK.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Voodoo Donuts started that trend here in Portland and is almost universally loathed by people from here.

People seriously stand in lines out in Oregon rain for up to an hour to spend way too much money for donuts that are just gonna get soaked in the rain and holy gently caress it is so goddamn baffling

The worst part of Voodoo Donuts (besides the fact that tourists love it, so it must be awful) is that the actual pastry part of the donut tastes fine, but they glop on so much super sugary icing and candy and cereal that the whole thing is kind of ruined. The pastry is also generic and plain as hell and the donuts are only notable for the weird poo poo on top.

There are some other donut places that make weird hipstery flavors, buuuut I like them. Blue Star Donuts is nice, but I've only gotten their stuff as gifts so I couldn't say if it's worth the price to buy yourself.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

The_White_Crane posted:

It's probably a good thing that you wouldn't eat that pile of food, you've got more than enough salt coursing through your veins to last you a lifetime.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

sudonim posted:

Raisins are an inexcusable waste of delicious grapes. Got too many grapes lying around? Make wine!
(Yes I know it's more complex than that I just fuckin hate raisins)

For content, I hate the trend of taking a classic blue collar food and trying to make it extra fancy at 2x-5x the price. I live in Boston and it seems like arisinal donuts at several dollars a pastry are the new hotness and there's something about it that makes me feel the participants are missing the point. A donut should be satisfying and under a buck, which is why Twin Donuts in Allston will always have a special place in my heart.

It doesn't look like a battered old piece of poo poo from the 50s anymore - they did a big ol' renovation and now it looks sleek and fake-retro. I thought it was pretty funny that they finally cleaned the place up after all that time, and then immediately got hit with a health violation when it re-opened.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bomrek posted:

This image has never resonated more.

The one on the right is $30 at most.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 16, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Shrimp: it's tasty and everywhere

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Shrimp: it's tasty and everywhere

Now this thread got me wanting to order honey walnut shrimp from the Chinese place I ain't really have the money for.

Damnit it's supposed to be about hating food, not loving food.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
This thread has not only given me a very tasty-sounding recipe for pineapple pork, but it has also inspired me to go to a Chinese restaurant in town on payday and gorge myself like a animal. And they serve alcohol, so I'm going to get nicely toasted in the bargain.

I miss this old place we used to have, though. It was filthy, but the food was delicious and they always made sure to put out the freshest, best stuff when I showed up because I believe in huge tips for good food. Back when I worked for the government, I used to tip as much as 50% of the bill because I know the work involved in food service. Nowadays I still try to do at least 20%. That's not too cheap of me, is it? :ohdear:

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 17, 2016

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

garfield hentai posted:

It doesn't look like a battered old piece of poo poo from the 50s anymore - they did a big ol' renovation and now it looks sleek and fake-retro. I thought it was pretty funny that they finally cleaned the place up after all that time, and then immediately got hit with a health violation when it re-opened.
Yeah the pic is from a year or two ago. Didn't know about the health violation though, :laffo:. That doesn't really support my point I suppose. I'm just mad that the Bees Knees hipstery grocery store that recently opened down Commonwealth Ave from me is selling donuts for 3 dollars or more (and a 12 dollar grilled cheese sandwich made with duck scrapple :wtf:).

The_White_Crane posted:

The best part of something awful is the goobers who dig in their heels and double down on bad posts :allears:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It kind of comes across like if it was written by someone who'd go "huh, this sure is white fish. Pffrt"

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Screaming Idiot posted:

This thread has not only given me a very tasty-sounding recipe for pineapple pork, but it has also inspired me to go to a Chinese restaurant in town on payday and gorge myself like a animal. And they serve alcohol, so I'm going to get nicely toasted in the bargain.

I miss this old place we used to have, though. It was filthy, but the food was delicious and they always made sure to put out the freshest, best stuff when I showed up because I believe in huge tips for good food. Back when I worked for the government, I used to tip as much as 50% of the bill because I know the work involved in food service. Nowadays I still try to do at least 20%. That's not too cheap of me, is it? :ohdear:

Oh god please don't start tip chat!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Donut chat. When I was growing up, there would always be a guy running a mini-donut truck at the main shopping center. Guy only cooked up the donuts right when you ordered, so you got a bag full of fresh mini-donuts and you got to see the entire process from start to finish, for a few marks.

Hell yeah. The smell from a donut stand is right up there with the smell of fried onions wafting from a greasy burger stand. Guaranteed to get my stomach rumbling every time.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 17, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, for $200 you can get a full menu at a 3 Michelin star restaurant in New York. That pic borders on trolling.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Frankston posted:

Hell yeah. The smell from a donut stand is right up there with the smell of fried onions wafting from a greasy burger stand. Guaranteed to get my stomach rumbling every time.

That reminds me greatly of the "fair food" smell. The worst-for-you yet best-tasting food on the planet. Fancy restaurants can suck it.

Look, I know that tiny bowls with big lips are an expensive restaurant thing, but it's stupid. Stop it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

How much shrimp can I get for $200

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

kru posted:

What is this "shrimp" you speak of? Some sort of exotic delicacy from the drug-induced fever dreams of a madman?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

kru posted:

Many, because slaves harvest them for consumption the world over, except for in the UK.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Screaming Idiot posted:

Back when I worked for the government, I used to tip as much as 50% of the bill because I know the work involved in food service. Nowadays I still try to do at least 20%. That's not too cheap of me, is it? :ohdear:

You're either fishing for pats on the back, or for a tipping derail. Either way, please don't. You know very well the answer to your question.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Screaming Idiot posted:

What is this "shrimp" you speak of? Some sort of exotic delicacy from the drug-induced fever dreams of a madman?

From what I gather, from afar of course because they are rare and strange, I assume them to be some sort of curling space bug.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 17, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Murphy Brownback posted:

You're either fishing for pats on the back, or for a tipping derail. Either way, please don't. You know very well the answer to your question.

Or I wanted to know if 20% is good enough considering how lovely the economy is. I don't get why you're being so confrontational.

Scathach posted:

From what I gather, from afar of course because they are rare and strange, I assume them to be some sort of curling space bug.

Truly? I had assumed them to be some sort of exotic pastry with a protective carapace.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Or I wanted to know if 20% is good enough considering how lovely the economy is. I don't get why you're being so confrontational.

Truly? I had assumed them to be some sort of exotic pastry with a protective carapace.

It may even fly, good sir! With fleshy curls like that, what wouldn't?

Scathach fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 17, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
We must fully investigate this "shrimp" organism. Is it tasty? Will it go with chicken? If we serve it with copious amounts of rice and fried vegetables, will it sell for ten dollars... or two hundred?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

And what about the sauces that it may go with? Won't somebody think about the sauce

E: Why did your face/words change? I miss the dorf.

E2: also the weird thing below looks like he tastes like pepperoni FYI.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 17, 2016

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

This was more from a few years ago, but I've seen cheap restaurants marketing Langostino lobster as lobster, when it's this weird little fucker right here.

Also Chilean sea bass was originally Patagonian toothfish. Yum yum.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kru posted:

As a blue whale, I eat tens of millions of shrimp a day without paying a dime.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's krill! You can't fool me, monsieur Baleine!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Scathach posted:

Look, I know that tiny bowls with big lips are an expensive restaurant thing, but it's stupid. Stop it.

I imagine this photo is taken partway through her pouring her meal onto the table and then getting up to leave without paying.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

If you can leave off the cheese and still have a sandwich that makes sense, you have completely failed at making a grilled cheese sandwich.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rollersnake posted:

If you can leave off the cheese and still have a sandwich that makes sense, you have completely failed at making a grilled cheese sandwich.

I got halfway through processing it before I realized it wasnt an amazing looking burger :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Heck, I'd eat it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Palpek posted:

Yeah, for $200 you can get a full menu at a 3 Michelin star restaurant in New York. That pic borders on trolling.

It's a joke about those tiny meals that people eat at 5 star restaurants.

Like if that was your entire meal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't think a restaurant exists where that is your entire meal unless you specifically order that and only that. Usually things like that would be part of a 5-7 course meal that adds up to being a full meal that most people would find filling especially when you consider you're probably getting a ton of bread and drinks in between. You probably do end up with less food in the end still but quantity isn't the focus of most "fancy" restaurants. If you want quantity go to a brazilian steakhouse...or your local golden corral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I don't feel like Michelin star food belongs ITT. You might find it pretentious but 'to get full' isn't why you eat at a Michelin star restaurant, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

• Locked thread