Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

There are a few minor, edge-case benefits that are completely offset by the amount of alcohol involved. It's a big net loss to any sort of health.

Again, incorrect. Moderate alcohol consumption is associated with many health benefits that are neither minor nor "edge case". Calling it a big net loss to one's health is completely false.

The health benefits seem to be associated with alcohol and are not specific to wine/red wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
There's a health benefit to obsessive alcohol use as well.

It's called "making your problems go away"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
being intoxicated is fun and good.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Defiant Sally posted:

no idea what that is

google leads me to a crosfitter blog

Probably because he means http://horriblenerds.com/squatbot/

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

The only benefit I got from alcohol was the ability to hit rock bottom and seize it as a chance to change my life, or maybe I'm just bad at drinking. Either way I'm happy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah alcohol makes you happy

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Oh well then no. I've never done a pre written program because I blast too much volume for fun, so I just ~*write my own*~

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Fallows posted:

What kind of gains can i expect from going from smoking 1 gram of kind bud a day to say 2 grams?

You Couch-sitting reps should go up pretty drastically.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Who wants to squat with me today?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think I've sprained something in my thumb. I was picking up a busbin of cutlery at work on Friday and felt an intense pain from the base of my thumb to my wrist. All weekend it's been painful to grip or grasp things with my thumb and a couple of things I picked up definitely exacerbated it. There is currently a dull pain that radiates from the 'ball' of my thumb a little bit into my wrist. Is this 'gamekeeper's thumb'? I looked it up and the symptoms seem consistent, although I think the ligament is just stretched, not torn. I've been holding ice cubes on it all weekend and I'm currently resting it on an icepack; is there anything else I can do to aid recovery? How long should I keep from lifting to be safe?

It's crazy how something so small can effectively cripple you. I pride myself on my tremendous grip strength and yesterday I could barely pick up and squeeze a sauce bottle. This is just humiliating.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
nice meltdown

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I am nothing if not verbose

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sassassin posted:

There are a few minor, edge-case benefits that are completely offset by the amount of alcohol involved. It's a big net loss to any sort of health.

And for strength athletes in particular the detriment to hormones and gains is massive, not to mention the pointless carb spike probably before sleeping.

Want to be a weak average dad bod? Drink away.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Eddie Hall has a dad bod but he's also massive.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A dad bod would be an improvement at this point quite frankly. Lord save me from this weak man's body.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

soy posted:

And for strength athletes in particular the detriment to hormones and gains is massive, not to mention the pointless carb spike probably before sleeping.

Want to be a weak average dad bod? Drink away.

I thought this was only true for binge drinking. Does drinking a beer or a glass of wine a day really matter?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Profondo Rosso posted:

I thought this was only true for binge drinking. Does drinking a beer or a glass of wine a day really matter?

Do you like metabolizing alcohol or your macros? I prefer my liver doing its regular thing tbqh

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Profondo Rosso posted:

You're better off binge drinking once in a long while than daily drinking. Both are terrible though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Profondo Rosso posted:

None of this poo poo matters unless you're a world class athlete and you're min maxing your intake and workouts. Just do what feels good and don't treat yourself like poo poo.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lift a weight. drink a beer. dont post in ylls.

rules to live by.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Lol @ "alcohol: not even once."

If you're not a professional (or I guess serious amateur) bodybuilder, gently caress it, have that beer. If you want abs, cut that beer out.

It's not super crazy.

At any rate, first time deadlifting heavy since I ripped those calluses off. Made the conscious decision not to use gloves, but forgot to check my grip position. Verdict: I grip things properly.

However, I started at 370 - did 2 reps and immediately lowered it. Way overshot. Went down to 340, then went down to 320 for set 4 (doing 4 sets of 8). Did fine until rep 3 of set 4, when my vision started going white. Immediately stopped.

Question: what the gently caress was that?

I finished off with side bar dips, jumping squats, and ropes. That went just fine. It was just the heavy deadlift that hosed my brain up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No one's saying anyone should stop drinking.

Just don't lie to yourself and pretend it's good for you.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i only drink cloudy, yeast and protein rich beers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

sassassin posted:

No one's saying anyone should stop drinking.

Just don't lie to yourself and pretend it's good for you.

Oh, yeah. Those media headlines that say that studies say "a glass of wine a day is good for pregnant women!" And other such bullshit are just that - bullshit.

Didn't John Oliver just have a segment about this like last week?

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

345x4 squats and felt I had a fifth in me but pussied out so I did extra sets of 275x6 in shame

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I moved to Asheville because I'm going back to school.

Nothing but beer and barbells, baby.

https://instagram.com/p/BFe9sTtpQVD/

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oh, yeah. Those media headlines that say that studies say "a glass of wine a day is good for pregnant women!" And other such bullshit are just that - bullshit.

Didn't John Oliver just have a segment about this like last week?

Not gonna take body building advice from John Oliver tho

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Luckily, he does not offer it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SpeedyCow posted:

345x4 squats and felt I had a fifth in me but pussied out so I did extra sets of 275x6 in shame

Good work! I did 4 reps of 335 the week before my PR week and it was tough as heck. I think squats give me the most anxiety of all my lifts. That crushing weight on my shoulders is something I'll never get used to.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SpeedyCow posted:

Happy squat day

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol i front squated that today

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fallows posted:

What kind of gains can i expect from going from smoking 1 gram of kind bud a day to say 2 grams?

*posts picture of handcuffs*
how about gaining these? :smug:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

lol i front squated that today

I back squatted less than that today but I'm still proud of myself :)

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
so um dunking donuts has cookies for sale now and theyre really good, like 1.70 a pop but drat they go well with a chicken and cheese croissant at breakfast

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
go for it bud

go all the way

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Lemming posted:

I back squatted less than that today but I'm still proud of myself :)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
nice work buds

work those glutes bud

maybe take a few videos of your glutes while you squat and ill review your stuff bud

ill review it real good bud

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
my knee sleeves came in and they seem to make a big difference, though it's still too early to decide for sure. My knees had already started acting up by the time I even left work, and normally that would have been a no go on any squat at all, but the sleeves made it painless(mostly, there was still a slight twinge, but they felt better overall by the end of the gym session).

what's the best protocol for sleeves? use them only when I feel my knee acting weird? use them for work sets for a while? basically I'm asking, do they help enough with the actual squat work to cause any sort of imbalance or weakness if used too much? these are just like the neoprene or whatever the rubbery wetsuit type material is, not like a full brace.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I gave up trying to squat heavy with the amount that I run and my body has thanked me for it, now my knees don't always feel like they're about to explode. Really miss putting a good hurt on dat rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I gave up trying to squat heavy with the amount that I run and my body has thanked me for it, now my knees don't always feel like they're about to explode. Really miss putting a good hurt on dat rear end though.

Well, I don't think that's my problem. My knee thing has honestly seemed really arbitrary. There has been nights where I can grind out 5 reps and they feel great, then another night they start up while I"m still squatting just the bar, and in between. Although, as I said in another post, since I've been trying some stretches and stuff, it's still arbitrary like that, but definitely less frequent. Could lovely shoes be the culprit? I mean I'm on my feet way more than most people ,and some nights, like tonight, I spent a fair amount of time moving and turning around carrying 30 lb coils. The reason I ask is either way, they are lovely shoes because they have chafed and callused the poo poo out of my heels, so I'm getting a new pair soon, either way. Another thing to test out, I may try going to the gym when I wake up, instead of after a 10 hour shift, but getting up early is harder for me than working out after a long shift. I'm trying to think of a time my knees ever hurt when I lifted on an off day, and I can't think of one.

• Locked thread