Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
This ought to be a little bit good for the Greens who are a very close second place in the Batman electorate

quote:

Election 2016: David Feeney didn't declare $2.3m house and 'doesn't know' if it's negatively geared

Labor frontbencher David Feeney owns an undeclared $2.31 million property, potentially placing him in "serious contempt" of the Parliament.

And the ALP power broker says he "doesn't know" if the house is negatively geared - despite Labor's proposed changes to property tax rules being a key election issue - while also admitting the renovations he claimed had prevented him from living in the home have not actually begun.

The four bedroom Northcote home is described as having "spectacular city views" and an "abundance of period charm" on a "colossal" 900 square metre block of land, and is in Mr Feeney's inner city electorate of Batman.

But Mr Feeney lives in the Greens-held seat of Melbourne, in an exclusive East Melbourne apartment that he jointly owns with his wife and which was purchased for $2.875 million in 2010.

The Right faction powerbroker, and key ally of Labor leader Bill Shorten, is under mounting pressure to hang on to his seat and is locked in a fierce fight with Greens candidate Alex Bhathal.

And the Greens believe Batman represents their best chance to claim a second lower house seat at July's federal election.

Earlier this week, Mr Feeney told Fairfax Media that he did not live in his seat because: "My wife and I bought a house in Northcote in 2013 after I won Batman for Labor but it is being renovated. So we're not living in it at the moment but that will be our family home".

A subsequent examination of his parliamentary Register of Members interests by Fairfax Media revealed Mr Feeney and his wife have declared ownership of the East Melbourne property.

The pair have also declared ownership of an investment property in the Melbourne suburb of Seddon purchased for $380,000 back in 2004, with that sale witnessed by Mr Feeney's former Health Services Union factional allies Jeff and Kathy Jackson.

But Mr Feeney has not declared the $2.31 million Northcote property, purchased on December 24, 2013, more than two years after the parliamentary deadline. The rules around what MPs must declare are quite strict and require that all property, shares and gifts worth more than $300 be reported within 28 days.

Although Mr Feeney updated his register twice in 2015, on neither occasion did he declare the Northcote house.

When Fairfax Media visited the property on Tuesday neighbours said they were aware of the MP's renovation plans but there was no sign of work under way.

The Darebin City Council website revealed a building permit application was submitted on August 12, 2015 - nearly two years after the 2013 election and the purchase of the property, but no commencement date is listed for the building of the new dwelling.

When contacted about the omission on Tuesday, Mr Feeney initially said he believed the property was declared on his register before conceding it was not and promising "that is something I will look in to straight away".

The property was listed for $700 a week rent on Domain.com.au as recently as January 2016 and Mr Feeney confirmed that tenants were on a lease that ran until July and after that, "I think we are proposing to move to month to month".

Asked why he had told Fairfax Media the Northcote property was being renovated when no work had commenced, Mr Feeney said: "it's our intention to renovate, we are tendering with builders" and that architects plans had been completed.

Mr Feeney said his Seddon property was negatively geared but "I don't know about Northcote".

"It is a matter of public knowledge that my wife and I purchased a home in Northcote in 2013. This has been reported in the media. There has been no conflict of interest in my wife and I having our home in Northcote," he said.

Under parliamentary rules, MPs must update their register of interests, including property holdings, within 28 days and if an MP fails to do this they could be found "guilty of a serious contempt of the House of Representatives and shall be dealt with by the House accordingly".

In practice, that means Mr Feeney could be referred to the House Privileges committee and censured.

The last MP to be censured in this way was disgraced former Labor MP Craig Thomson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/732469468899631105

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
silver lining for global warming is defs bigger bushfires eventually wiping this lovely country clean

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

silver lining for global warming is defs bigger bushfires eventually wiping this lovely country clean

:agreed:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, gently caress you Australians.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I wonder how different the result would be if it wasn't about young people. gently caress Boomers and gently caress Australia.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have to be honest, I didn't expect it to be that close. Seems like there's a lot of people with opinions on it, if not necessarily good ones.

I don't know how I feel about that fact, but there you go.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
how will we instil the value of work into these damned lazy young people

what if we pay them nothing for it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Duncan Storrar had released a statement

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/1616_storrar.pdf

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Peter Logan :

17 May 2016 12:48:31pm

Paul Barry, what a typical biased, hard Left ABC journalist you are. ]Name ONE Conservative journalist on ABC. You can't because there are none. The truth is, this bloke was in an audience which is ALWAYS loaded up with Lefties, even though the ABC deceitfully displays a balance LNP/ALP/Greens on the screen. The ABC was, as usual, egged on by the grossly overpaid, blatant Leftie host, Tony Jones delighted to have someone attack the lone Conservative on the panel (as did MUSLIM Zaky Mallah) and once again it has backfired badly on the utterly biased and incompetent ABC when the truth about this pathetic ALP supporter comes out. Your "national hero" has embarrassed all you Lefties at the ABC. Tell the truth Paul. Don't twist this story to suit your hard line Left Wing agenda. Remember who pays your salary (it ain't the ALP), and you can tell your comrade Jon Faine that as well!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

When the truth comes out lol

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Probably more lolb party/IPA astroturfing lol.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/blunt-instrument/crowds-bite-back-at-savage-response-to-duncan-storrars-simple-qa-question-20160516-gowmts

quote:

The lives of the poor are hard. They are all too often short, nasty and complicated. For struggling truck driver turned national piñata, Duncan Storrar, this last, short week has been about as nasty and complicated as ordinary lives can be. Brutish, too. A short, nasty and brutish passage he will no doubt be happy to leave behind. Hopefully, he enjoys the money, just over sixty grand, from a Go Fund Me campaign set up by a sympathiser and generously supported by a couple of thousand punters.

I doubt he'd consider it a fair payday for the mess we have made of his already difficult life.

To recap. Storrar had fame thrust upon him when he embarrassed the Assistant Treasurer Kelly O'Dwyer on Q&A last week. He didn't so much then go on to embarrass Innes Willox, the Chief Executive of the Australian Industry Group, as Innes Willox decided to embarrass himself.

It was a brief exchange in which Storrar, without even trying, got the better of his betters by speaking a few simple truths about the realities of being poor, to which they responded with garbled nonsense (O'Dwyer) and lofty contempt (Willox).

What happened next was fascinating and awful. His 'critics' did not refute Storrar's main point that a rise in the tax free threshold can change the daily life of a poor person. Probably because it's irrefutable. Nor did they take up O'Dwyer's bungled defence of a tax cut for the rich over the poor - which might even be defensible if you're arguing from deep inside the closed loop of neo-liberal economics. Nope. They just pulled on the jackboots and kicked forty-seven flavours of poo poo out of an impoverished, uneducated man who'd done nothing more than ask a simple but surprisingly difficult question.

The savagery of the media assault on Duncan Storrar, almost entirely the work of the Murdoch press, was sickening to behold. It was, to quote from Jennifer Wilson (@noplaceforsheep on Twitter), a "depraved abuse of power". It elicited feelings of deep disgust from many who observed the attack. It was not unlike watching a crippled man set upon by a gang, his attackers huge with steroids and laughing like psychopaths, drunk with the heady liquor of their own violence.

They turned his family against him. They blew up his criminal record. They called him a thug, an egregious hypocrisy coming from these people.

Interestingly, however, as terrible as it must have been for anyone in that family, the destruction of Duncan Storrar did not go exactly to plan. Even as he was defamed, normal people, which is to say not billionaire media barons or lickspittles in the employ of billionaire media barons, continued to offer support and donate to the Go Fund Me campaign set up on his behalf. It really does bear repeating that Storrar never once asked for the money or the attention. People just started throwing tens of thousands of dollars at him via the internet because they were sympathetic or outraged or both.

He had dared to speak a simple truth – not even a particularly radical one. A couple of bucks means a helluva lot more to somebody without a buck to their name. For this, he had to be destroyed, and not simply refuted.

Why?

Because if you knock down an argument that threatens privilege and power, you always face the prospect of the argument being refined and returning to vex you. But if you utterly destroy the person who is bold or foolish enough to open their mouths and question you in the first place, you dramatically reduce the chances of anything like that happening again.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ler posted:

This ought to be a little bit good for the Greens who are a very close second place in the Batman electorate

gently caress me Labor are incompetent.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How much is Tony Jones paid?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Skellybones posted:

How much is Tony Jones paid?

By the ABC or the commies on the moon?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

D A N K
A
N
K

Jintor
May 19, 2014

lmaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/732470078218723328

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

lol @ the 4 percent of class traitors.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/RealBobKatter/status/731745585020043267

Watch out Ricky Muir.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Judging by the last line of that tweet I think Ricky's safe for another 12 months,

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

lol @ the 4 percent of class traitors.

I don't think they're 'class traitors', I think they're just idiots.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

"Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that hog, Katter," Ross said. I nearly fell off the bike, aghast. "You got a pussy in that thing?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Ross" I said

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mumbletwits/status/731746435096416257

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz3L8c_jP8M

Interesting Speech by the ABCs Antony Green.

quote:

ABC psephologist and election commentator Antony Green delivers the keynote address at the launch of UNSW Law Journal Issue 39(1) on the Law of Elections and Politics at Allens on 27 April 2016.

He brings out the enormous 1999 ballot paper and talks about the problems they caused.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 17, 2016

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

"Cousin-brothers"

Katter gives away a little too much about the twining branches of his family tree

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I saw an LNP ad on TV and...

Does Bananaby always look stoned as gently caress?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

So many women

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ahmeni posted:

"Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that hog, Katter," Ross said. I nearly fell off the bike, aghast. "You got a pussy in that thing?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Ross" I said

Did not expect hornymantravis to come to auspol.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...517-goxhj1.html

quote:

"These people would be taking Australian jobs, there's no question about that," he said.

"For many of them that would be unemployed, they would languish in unemployment queues and on Medicare and the rest of it so there would be huge cost and there's no sense in sugar-coating that, that's the scenario," Mr Dutton said.

Refugees are illiterate, but they would take your jobs anyway, and they would also be unemployed while taking your jobs.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Those darn reffos, just taking jobs and hoarding them in their closets and carports next to the old stereo and bar fridge.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Dodgy refugee builders stealing YOUR unemployment benefits. Our investigation reveals that they're fat.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Dodgy refugee builders stealing YOUR unemployment benefits. Our investigation reveals that they're fat.

And germs! GErrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmssssssssss.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
From being the neighbours from hell in Indonesia, to the tenants from hell, living it up at taxpayer expense in tropical island resorts. Our exclusive undercover investigation reveals their plan to bring kitchen germs to our shores. But coming up next, real estate rumble, how negative gearing could stop the boats!

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 17, 2016

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

The weird comment about Unions was even more bizarre in that exchange

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Refugees are illiterate, but they would take your jobs anyway, and they would also be unemployed while taking your jobs.

I remember foreigners taking our jobs while being on the dole being trotted out in the 80's when the target was Italians and Greeks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toL1tXrLA1c

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Can't say that I'm surprised that Peter Dutton feels job security would be threatened by someone illiterate and innumerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Geelong mosque burnt down.

e: No link because no real details yet, just 'it's burnt down' and 'it's suspicious'.

• Locked thread