Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Mazed posted:

Fast stuff. Try things like the Brigand Twindaggers, use thrusting swords and parrying, or go full bleed-heavy. Or some combination of these things.

Ninja build? Yeah, I could get into that!

gently caress it, we Bloodborne. Fast weapon in the main hand or dual weapons, crossbow and parry shield in the offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Melanion posted:

For that matter, 'Heal the dark sigil' serves no purpose after you do it. There's no way to get more of the drat things if you've already borked that quest.

does she keep the prompt going into ng+? if so, you could use your five free levels and then heal your sigil right away. that'd be a purpose for it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

which is all good, but you're interjecting a fair amount of head canon, or educated guesses, or however fancy way you want to say "filling in the gaps of a pitifully sparse story" based on your interpretation of things in the game. the frustrating thing is that DS1 was much more direct about the main beats of the story and who the main players were and why things had happened, and although there were cool side areas that were a little mysterious (painted world, ash lake) the player didn't have to make inferences about what was going on with the main plot of the game and why things happened the way they had to the main characters in the story.

ds3 is like a rough draft of an outline of a dream that got put through babelfish translate into three other languages before being spit back into english. it just barely makes sense as a narrative, which is fine because video games are for children ha ha ha, but it's frustrating considering what came before it. hell, even DS2, which made the whole story about how nothing matters, at least made the story about how nothing matters. DS3 isn't even that cohesive.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dark Souls 3 is the "MEMBA THIS" of Dark Souls games.

I mean, even the hacks are all callbacks. It's hilarious.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Solomonic posted:

Good poo poo, man. You've got more patience than I do. Have you found a situation in which the L2 spin is useful yet? I kept trying it on bosses and they'd always just armor through the spin and swat me for 3/4 my health.

Thanks man. Appreciate it. I won't lie that I cursed a lot from some of my deaths.

The L2 is really tricky. On Abyss Walkers and normal sized enemies and other players, you can stun lock them for the duration of your stamina. It's not usually worth it though, only the first and last hits of the combo do any substantial damage. What it is good for is using it twice to get quick stacks on the Pontiff's right eye ring and boost your attack. I do that on Aldrich a bit when I'd run in, L2 twice, dodge an attack and then have higher damage for the duration of his appearance.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

does she keep the prompt going into ng+? if so, you could use your five free levels and then heal your sigil right away. that'd be a purpose for it

She doesn't, but the tower key is buyable right from the start and you can probably afford to dump 20k souls on it immediately.

That'd be a huge gently caress-you to Yoel, though. "Hey thanks for the 5 levels, BRB." "Okay I'm back and my sigils are gone, peace." And then he cries himself to death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

Try the R2?

I went to test this on the lothric knights since their shield has 100 physical block but uh my crescent axe was doing damage past their shield anyways? Not sure what the deal is with that. Either way in my extremely limited testing I didn't see the hatchet noticeably sneaking around shields in any way. It may have done slightly more damage? But we're talking the difference between 10 damage and 30 so not really useful.

I dunno, maybe I've always expect too much from these weapons but the shield sneaking just doesn't seem noticeable enough to be worth a drat.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mazed posted:

Fast stuff. Try things like the Brigand Twindaggers

Something like that could be neat, unplumbed stuff. There's a lot of spells/rings that boost consecutive attacks that could make a buzzsaw build fun. Rolling with Flynn's with an equipload 9 or under would net you 10% more damage so you could try making a dps monster of sorts.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is there any secret to getting summoned as a watchdog because I'd really like to help out that sad wolf + the wolf shield looks cool as heck

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I was actually doing PvP with a bandit knife + lightning blade for a while. It worked surprisingly well.

The only real drawback is you end up with no range whatsoever.

e:

Darth Windu posted:

Is there any secret to getting summoned as a watchdog because I'd really like to help out that sad wolf + the wolf shield looks cool as heck
Supposedly (and I've only sort of tested this), auto-summon covenants are queued in ascending order of account age, meaning that people who first start the game later get priority over people who first started earlier.

You can sort of exploit that by creating a new Steam account, setting it up as a family shared account to your main Steam account, and transferring your save files over to the new account by tricking the game into reading them. Basically, you create as many characters on the new account as you have on the old one, then in between the "press any button" prompt on the title screen and where you actually load your save data you go into your save file folder and swap that account's save file with your main one.

Hopefully I've explained this well, it's not actually that complicated.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 17, 2016

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

post your monsters.

this is my darling boy who loves to heal and force push people down pits, god bless him

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
He's the most beautiful clown. The pink tattoo looks heart-shaped in that picture. :allears:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Internet Kraken posted:

I've killed 250 of these loving slugs without getting a heavy gem. Can anyone confirm that they even drop some, or if there's a better spot to farm a heavy gem?
If it still helps, I got 3-4 of them while farming for Wolf's Blood Swordgrass after the Farron Keep Perimeter Bonfire, within half an hour.

Related:

Darth Windu posted:

I read somewhere (though that may be conjecture) that you get summoned more often if you yourself hang out in Farron, and it might be true because at SL105 NG+, I got surprisingly regular hits while doing the above (farming in front of Abyss Watchers). Like one summon every two runs, that was awesome and I was done farming quite soon. If you want to do it immediately on a new-ish character, that might still help but the farming will be harder of course :D.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Last boss spoilers

So I finally get to the last boss and after a long battle fighting through his various forms I get him to Zero health and shout in joy "YESS". The boss then gets all his health back and kills me. :darksouls: . These games continue to gently caress with me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Haven't remade him in dark souls 3 quite yet but STLENKO is definitely returning at some point

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

pulp rag posted:

So, my first character was a quality sword-and-board with some pyro spells to help me out. My second character was a big beeferino with high STR that used Greataxes (now a STR/FTH hybrid, since he's kinda my main file). My third character was a RAW rear end buffer.

Anyone got any fun ideas for a fourth character build that deviates from these other ones?

Fast / dex weapons, with int for buffs and random fun spells. If you really want to deviate from your quality build, start as a mercenary (has basically perfect stats for this build and a great weapon) and no increasing your strength ever.

Related, is there any way to get an actual decent amount of damage out of buffs with low stats (i.e. GMW at 15 int) or do you have to go to 40+ to get a real damage improvement compared to just using a resin?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I plan on doing the Brigand Twindaggers with assorted buffs on my NG++ run, assuming I take it that far. Might even see if Flynn's Ring can be something other than worthless. I could start a new character but, even though NG+ isn't as cool as it was in DS2, it's very nice having absolutely every option available out the gate.

Anyway, I'm not clownishly monstrous, shame on me, but I have accomplished my objective of looking frightfully melty.

The Warden Twinblades are vastly superior to the Old Wolf Curved Greatsword, and when buffed and Carthus Rouge'd they're basically the I WIN button, but that sword is very important for my look so it stays. :colbert:

VoLaTiLe posted:

Last boss spoilers

So I finally get to the last boss and after a long battle fighting through his various forms I get him to Zero health and shout in joy "YESS". The boss then gets all his health back and kills me. :darksouls: . These games continue to gently caress with me

I also did this. I was feeling so "in the moment" that I even did a bow gesture. I'm sure the guy appreciated it as he proceeded to fry me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a lot easier to make ugly characters than pretty ones.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I spend far too much time making characters pretty. It's a compulsion. It was wonderful to be able to save good faces I made, thinking with the new mechanics that I'd always be able to keep the good looks, only later to discover that Hollowing was indeed still around in this game. :shepface:

So, something neat found when trawling screenshots: You know that worm in Smoldering Lake?

It's actually a bunch of mashed-together undead, like The Rotten but worse. See those bony arms sticking out and those shapes like faces in the "mouth"?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Mazed posted:

I spend far too much time making characters pretty. It's a compulsion. It was wonderful to be able to save good faces I made, thinking with the new mechanics that I'd always be able to keep the good looks, only later to discover that Hollowing was indeed still around in this game. :shepface:

So, something neat found when trawling screenshots: You know that worm in Smoldering Lake?

It's actually a bunch of mashed-together undead, like The Rotten but worse. See those bony arms sticking out and those shapes like faces in the "mouth"?

Those things are referenced in the yellow pill thing description as carthus sandworms, so I think that's just a bunch of poo poo it was digesting/scooped up since it's a giant hollow ribworm.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

If you are on PC follow this guide. https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/
It's dumb as hell, but it works.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If you guys haven't messed with the first person mod, you absolutely should. If you're worried about being softbanned, family share DS3 with a new account and use it on that one.

It's so much more fun, somehow. It feels like King's Field and Skyrim had a baby, and it's excellent.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Atreiden posted:

If you are on PC follow this guide. https://steamcommunity.com/app/374320/discussions/0/357286119111456394/
It's dumb as hell, but it works.

I'm not on pc

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Feenix posted:

Nice. Where do I get HELLLOOOOO and THAAAAANK YOUUUUU!

At the same place, they're in the list.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I found the character creator to be really good for making handsome aged men in their 50-60s. The wrinkles make the faces more real looking and livelier (I blame MGS series for this)

As opposed to young faces which look like deformed plastic.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Tallgeese posted:

The Profaned Flame is probably the Chaos Flame, but it's hard to say.

Its Japanese name is the "Fire of Sin".

But it is stated that the Chaos Flame went out and thats why the demons are dying etc.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Mazed posted:

I plan on doing the Brigand Twindaggers with assorted buffs on my NG++ run, assuming I take it that far. Might even see if Flynn's Ring can be something other than worthless. I could start a new character but, even though NG+ isn't as cool as it was in DS2, it's very nice having absolutely every option available out the gate.

Anyway, I'm not clownishly monstrous, shame on me, but I have accomplished my objective of looking frightfully melty.

The Warden Twinblades are vastly superior to the Old Wolf Curved Greatsword, and when buffed and Carthus Rouge'd they're basically the I WIN button, but that sword is very important for my look so it stays. :colbert:

I also did this. I was feeling so "in the moment" that I even did a bow gesture. I'm sure the guy appreciated it as he proceeded to fry me.

I'm also having lots of fun with a Hollow infused Warden Twinblade and going 40 with DEX/LUCK. The damage is fairly low but once I get one solid spin in, it wrecks everyone. It's pretty hilarious to see people just play it super safe after I shaved off almost all their health in a single combo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I really hope the DLC adresses the whole Gertrude, Angels etc business. At the moment it's just a lore detail that's just there, despite having visible consequences in Lothric and High Wall

Old Hunters was really good because it more or less solved the remaining questions relating to Laurence, Ludwig and Gehrman.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 17, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Digirat posted:

Haven't remade him in dark souls 3 quite yet but STLENKO is definitely returning at some point

I miss the Porcine Shield...

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

The Profaned Flame is probably the Chaos Flame, but it's hard to say.

Its Japanese name is the "Fire of Sin".

The Chaos flame is repeatedly referred to as have gone out, in the different demon souls and their weapons. While the profaned flame is referred to as unfading.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I miss the Porcine Shield...

You do know it's back, right?

The dream can live on!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm on my ng+ character - how do I make sure that the londor pale shade invades? Do I kill Joel at first sight? Or do have to spawn yuria and kill her to make sure?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think only way to get pale shade for the first time to invade is piss off/kill Yuria. If you kill the chamaleon hollow will also piss him off but by that point its too late.
Edit: wikidot claims he will appear even if you kill Yoel? Havent tried it though since i usually prefer to kill Yuria for her stuff.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 17, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Iretep posted:

I think only way to get pale shade for the first time to invade is piss off/kill Yuria. If you kill the chamaleon hollow will also piss him off but by that point its too late.

it invades well past that point in iythyrll. does it invade somewhere earlier? also what's the best bleed build, dex/luck with a rouge?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aggro yuria, go to velka and pay for absolution, the Pale Shade should still invade.
Supposedly.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

it invades well past that point in iythyrll. does it invade somewhere earlier? also what's the best bleed build, dex/luck with a rouge?

He invades in the swamp area. The deep swamp path with a lot of basilisks. Basically you need to piss him off before killing the abyss watchers.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

pulp rag posted:

You do know it's back, right?

The dream can live on!

:dogbutton: Game redeemed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow Jailers suck. Even sniping them from across the room their red light can still get you.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Iretep posted:

He invades in the swamp area. The deep swamp path with a lot of basilisks. Basically you need to piss him off before killing the abyss watchers.

oh around where heysel invades? i'd never noticed that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

oh around where heysel invades? i'd never noticed that before.

yeah pretty close to yellowfingers invasion spot. just go toward the long deep path with the basilisks from there and he invades.