Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

bongwizzard posted:

Your rod might not have enough backbone to set the hook. Until very recently I have been using softer rods then I really needed and stepping up a bit in power really helped. You could also try light wire hooks if you are not fishing thick cover, I have been liking the lw twistloc Owner hooks a bunch.

These rods have brought in fish in the past, and have been respooled recently. On top of that I'm a pretty stout dude, so I'm confident in my power, which doesn't take much realistically.

Two of the rods are on baitcaster and medium or more on the action. One is a light spinning rod, but I had had a decent amount of fish brought in on this in years past.

gamera009 posted:

For the trout here in CO, I use no more than 4# mono and the smallest spinner or countdown rapala I can find. I pull reasonably slowly against the current and pause for a half second about halfway through the retrieve.

Out here the general rule of thumb is that big lures for trout can work, since only the largest trout can mouth the bait, but small lures trigger a feeding response from all fish, including the biggest trout. Larger lures only frustrate the fisherman if that massive trout doesn't exist where you think it does. On the other hand, on tiny mepps spinners, I've caught 5# rainbows and brown trout up in the mountains.

YMMV

I'm not actually going for trout, but I have some old lures that at one time could have been, and it's got tiny hooks. I really don't want to go that route to catch bream or crappie, JUST to bring something in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

hagie posted:

I would say that the spot is definitely over fished, but the problem I am having are too manny misses. So far I have had 3 misses on plastic worms and 1 on a top water frog. On the frog I let it crash, counted to 1, and set the hook, only to find my lure hitting me in the chest. All misses have been confirmed by visibly seeing a fish crashing or rolling so I don't think it's over sensitivity from running across the ground/cover I can't see. All misses so far have been at the time of setting the hook.

If you're setting the hook so hard it's hitting you in the chest, you may want to lighten up a bit. You could be ripping the hook out of their mouths.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

beefnoodle posted:

If you're setting the hook so hard it's hitting you in the chest, you may want to lighten up a bit. You could be ripping the hook out of their mouths.

Or ripping the mouths off the fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

hagie posted:

These rods have brought in fish in the past, and have been respooled recently. On top of that I'm a pretty stout dude, so I'm confident in my power, which doesn't take much realistically.

Two of the rods are on baitcaster and medium or more on the action. One is a light spinning rod, but I had had a decent amount of fish brought in on this in years past.

Ned rig maybe? Small enough to even catch large sunfish on and rarely do I even need to set the hook, just see the line twitch and reel down.

In other news, today's casting rod practice turned serious:

Easily the largest bass I have ever caught. Sadly he hit the bait like 3' off the dock while I was just standing there so it was not very exciting.

Since I now seem to be catching fish too large to handle with one hand, how would a chunk of tyvek work as a fish protection mat? I could keep it folded in my little chest pouch and get it out and down easily with one hand. I have a good net, but when I am not wading it hits my butt when I walk and drives me insane.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wooooooo, it's my birthday! Got the day half off, gonna go to the local fish camp, drop a few bucks on a new rod and reel, and fish today! Nothing fancy, just looking to get a new economical setup I can use for baitcasting off their dock. Perfect weather today too, overcast and cool (for florida).

Edit: got windy and Thundery about an hour after the tide started running, and crabs stole all my bait. Picked up a new uglystik combo. We tempted to get the stupid but funny battery powered glow-in-the-dark eagle claw rod, but good sense helped me resist.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Trying to get into fishing again now that I'm in my 30s and haven't fished since childhood. I'll be bank fishing in north Texas, and have these three combos: Shakespeare Sigma LX35 spinning reel with 6.5' rod, Zebco 33 combo, and a Johnson Century 100B DLX and a new Bass Pro house brand 6' rod.

How can I figure out how much line I need to get to load on these, they've been sitting empty for years.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Mandingo posted:

Trying to get into fishing again now that I'm in my 30s and haven't fished since childhood. I'll be bank fishing in north Texas, and have these three combos: Shakespeare Sigma LX35 spinning reel with 6.5' rod, Zebco 33 combo, and a Johnson Century 100B DLX and a new Bass Pro house brand 6' rod.

How can I figure out how much line I need to get to load on these, they've been sitting empty for years.

The Mandingo posted:

Find a local tackle shop or sporting goods store and have them spool you up and get them to write down your spoil capacity for you. You'll get a good to great wind on the spool as opposed to a decent at best wind if you do it yourself without experience. As an added bonus you can chat fishing with a local who knows what's up and can give you tips on technique, location, gear and so on. You might even get an invite to fish which is definitely the quickest way to gain skill.

No matter your quarry or technique, I wholly insist on using braid, with the exception of perhaps sharks. For small gamefish like trout or panfish 6lb braid will work great , 10lb braid for LMB, carp, redfish, snook, 20lb for surfcasting on the beach. 30lb for boat fishing large saltwater gamefish. Bump up to the next size if you are fishing structure or using a reel with bad line lay.

Keep your reel's drag clean and if the washers are made of felt material (they are unless advertised as carbon fiber) check that they haven't fallen apart. I've seen a Stradic fj, a great reel, have a couple drag seizes that resulted in lost fish and a lot of cursing from its owner. It happens all the time with reels that haven't been maintained/used frequently. A $9 upgrade to carbon fiber makes a HUGE difference in performance and eliminates the high startup experienced with most felt drag systems.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh that reminds me I need to get my ProGear washers replaced.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I would say line choice is more nuanced then that, like if you have a frogging rod you want 30-50lb braid when fishing for LBMs, but that isnt a bad start. I would err on stronger line when dealing with braid to start as it is easier to deal with.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

tesilential posted:

Find a local tackle shop or sporting goods store and have them spool you up and get them to write down your spoil capacity for you. You'll get a good to great wind on the spool as opposed to a decent at best wind if you do it yourself without experience. As an added bonus you can chat fishing with a local who knows what's up and can give you tips on technique, location, gear and so on. You might even get an invite to fish which is definitely the quickest way to gain skill.

No matter your quarry or technique, I wholly insist on using braid, with the exception of perhaps sharks. For small gamefish like trout or panfish 6lb braid will work great , 10lb braid for LMB, carp, redfish, snook, 20lb for surfcasting on the beach. 30lb for boat fishing large saltwater gamefish. Bump up to the next size if you are fishing structure or using a reel with bad line lay.

Keep your reel's drag clean and if the washers are made of felt material (they are unless advertised as carbon fiber) check that they haven't fallen apart. I've seen a Stradic fj, a great reel, have a couple drag seizes that resulted in lost fish and a lot of cursing from its owner. It happens all the time with reels that haven't been maintained/used frequently. A $9 upgrade to carbon fiber makes a HUGE difference in performance and eliminates the high startup experienced with most felt drag systems.

Stradic FJ is a dry drag system unless I'm mistaken. Pretty sure my 8000 is a dry system, but I haven't had it long enough to have needed to break it down yet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Had a big day of fishing today, started with a bait collecting session in the kayak

Bycatch

With a couple of pike in the esky for bait we headed over to a nearby surf beach to fish into the night in the hope of catching a gummy shark

A nice gutter

We only got one skate for our trouble unfortunately, but it was still a heap of fun and a nice change from getting my arse kicked by uni

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Loving the pictures, as always.

I'm behind on my fishing, but I managed to get up to Big Hunting Creek for some trout a few weeks ago. Hooked one on the second cast, then he spit out the hook and they laughed at me the rest of the day.

Wandered into the Orvis shop today, and turns out they're having a clinic tomorrow. Off to fish a private stocked pond in the pouring rain all day. At least I'll know how to cast a fly rod right after tomorrow :toot:

I didn't really have any plans to get into fly fishing, but a neighbor gave me an old rod and I live in Maryland trout country so this is my thing now. Need to still get on the Monocacy for some smallmouth. Man, one day I'm going to get to the upper Potomac in far Western MD, as there are Muskie there. I've never caught a Muskie and really want to.

I gotta call Bunnielab. Been busy, sorry dude, we'll get on the fish here eventually. I still haven't bought a kayak.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
No problem man, I have two of them now, so you are welcome to borrow.

I have caught the bass bug in a big way and would be extremely down to head north and wade for smallmouth at some point.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bongwizzard posted:

Eh, I would say line choice is more nuanced then that, like if you have a frogging rod you want 30-50lb braid when fishing for LBMs, but that isnt a bad start. I would err on stronger line when dealing with braid to start as it is easier to deal with.

When I wrote that I actually thought specifically about frogging or flipping heavy jigs into heavy plant growth, but figured people doing that would know what to use. My guidelines were beginner oriented as people usually use WAY heavier line than necessary.

I catch fish up to 30 pounds on 10 lb test. I use 30 lb for tarpon up to 150lbs, but I'm re-spooling with 20 next time because 30 is overkill. Lighter line = higher performance.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Enigma posted:

Stradic FJ is a dry drag system unless I'm mistaken. Pretty sure my 8000 is a dry system, but I haven't had it long enough to have needed to break it down yet.

Stock they are greased felt washers. They use a white grease. I threw in carbon fiber washers and just used penn reel grease. Carbon fiber can be used dry but felt would fall right the gently caress apart if not greased.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Went fishing in a city pond, first cast I caught a nice catfish. The second cast I got a HUGE bite and thought I caught 'the big one' that everyone talks about, turns out is was just a big turtle who bit off the line after the bobber. I haven't fished in 2 years and was gearing up to go to the stocked trout release by me, my rod was busted so I just picked up a Walmart ultralight, but it is only 4'6'' and cost me a lot of trout. Is 4'6'' recommended for anything or is that for kids?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Michael Corleone posted:

Went fishing in a city pond, first cast I caught a nice catfish. The second cast I got a HUGE bite and thought I caught 'the big one' that everyone talks about, turns out is was just a big turtle who bit off the line after the bobber. I haven't fished in 2 years and was gearing up to go to the stocked trout release by me, my rod was busted so I just picked up a Walmart ultralight, but it is only 4'6'' and cost me a lot of trout. Is 4'6'' recommended for anything or is that for kids?

I use a short ugly stick like that for jigging in saltwater for pacific rockfish but that's not normal.
Sounds ok for panfish though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have a 4'6" boat rod to use as my second catfish rod as I can cast it plenty far with a 1oz weight on it. At some point I will buy or have made a 5'ish UL rod to use for tiny tiny inline spinners/spoons in small streams where I want as much casting accuracy as possible.

But I have fell victim to obsession for hyper specialized gear which has clouded my judgement.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Well, for what it's worth, the Fly Fishing class was a lot of fun. We spent the morning going over hatches and flies, and did some casting practice with some nice rods that the local shop supplied.

We then headed to two adjacent private, stocked ponds on the property and had at it. This is a small rainbow I got about halway through, but the first one was much bigger. Bout a foot or so. Not a lunker by any means, but very, very exciting.

It poured

Fish dont care though :smuggo:

I learned how to cast right, all about hatches, gear, everything. So glad I did, and highly recommended. One of the things I always thought about fly fishing was that it was for upper class people, but it's really not. Sure, you can spend any amount you want on gear (in any hobby, of course), but it was stressed that you didn't need to.

For the fly fisherman out there, we used green weenies all day, with great success. Man, I had never fished a private, stocked pond before. This was full of fish of all kinds and sizes. Usually trout like cold water, and since these two ponds were fed by mountain streams, they survive. Well, they survive until it gets too warm in the summer anyway, then they get eaten by all the bass and the bass in there are apparently submarines!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude, I'm trying to resist picking up a flyrod before I become more competition with a casting set up but you aren't making it easy.

There is some shop in western Maryland that has a guide on staff who is huge into tenkara and I might take a class/guided trip with him at some point this fall.

Of course, this will be after I can consistently hit a 5 gallon paint bucket lid with a 3/8oz jig from 30 or 40 feet away.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am enjoying it more and more. All I have right now is a 50+ year old short cane rod that my neighbor gave me. Eventually, I'll get something nicer, but that does fine for where I go, which is a small steam with lots of cover. You'd want something more, maybe a 8-9 ft.

Keep in mind that one can do fly fishing for fish other than trout, which makes it more versatile. I think for $170 or so you can get the Orvis starter package which has everything you need to get started. Not like I'm trying to talk you into it, but it gives you something completely different to do.

Also keep in mind that if you have some extra cash and just want to see what it's about, I can holler the next time the shop (in Frederick) has a class, and you can come up and check it out. The instructor lives in Severn.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

I am enjoying it more and more. All I have right now is a 50+ year old short cane rod that my neighbor gave me. Eventually, I'll get something nicer, but that does fine for where I go, which is a small steam with lots of cover. You'd want something more, maybe a 8-9 ft.

Keep in mind that one can do fly fishing for fish other than trout, which makes it more versatile. I think for $170 or so you can get the Orvis starter package which has everything you need to get started. Not like I'm trying to talk you into it, but it gives you something completely different to do.

Also keep in mind that if you have some extra cash and just want to see what it's about, I can holler the next time the shop (in Frederick) has a class, and you can come up and check it out. The instructor lives in Severn.

I would love to do a class. Let me know.

Honestly my desire is more to make catching small panfish more enjoyable, as there are dozens of good wading spots around here, but none of them will support trout and I suspect few will support many bass. When they built the ICC they did a ton of stream restoration to part of Northwest Branch and poo poo looks amazing now, if the water quality is any good it will be a panfish bonanza in a season or so.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bongwizzard posted:

There is some shop in western Maryland that has a guide on staff who is huge into tenkara and I might take a class/guided trip with him at some point this fall.
A guest on Cool Tools talked about Tenkara a little bit a few weeks ago, and it looks really interesting. Unfortunately, I don't do much stream/river fishing, mostly lakes, but for bluegill fishing it looks like it could be a blast.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If it has panfish it will support bass. In fact having both makes both species larger.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Having used Tenkara and western fly, both have their place. I tend to fish highly covered streams when close to home, but do a lot of both pocket/pool trout fishing and larger river trout fishing.

Tenkara is great for a no fuss fishing experience kinda like fly fishing, but you're fairly limited by distance and presentation and line management. A lot of Tenkara fans will talk about how you don't need to do any mending or complicated line management - this is bullshit. It's just different line management. Presentation is limited due to distance limitations. Even out here on the Roaring Fork, Poudre, or Big Thompson, there are spots where trout are incredibly skittish and Tenkara users wouldn't really have a hope of getting close. With a good fast action rod and level line, I can approach safely and deliver reasonably precisely.

On the other hand, delivery versatility is pretty neat with Tenkara, and for very compact situations, it's amazing and can be super fun for very tight pockets and pools, or very narrow streams/creeks.

In short, go fly fishing. It's pretty awesome. With a really fast 2 or 3wt, even large crappie or other panfish seem to be a blast. LMB and SMB on a 4wt is pretty killer. My streamer game is terrible though. :(

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Wife called me up at work yesterday: "Baby, let's go fishing this evening."
Went out after work, got our licenses, and then hit the lake. She managed to drag in a few nice sunnies but I was going for bass with a silver spoon and got absolutely no bites. Great time though!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I am not a book posted:

Wife called me up at work yesterday: "Baby, let's go fishing this evening."
Went out after work, got our licenses, and then hit the lake. She managed to drag in a few nice sunnies but I was going for bass with a silver spoon and got absolutely no bites. Great time though!

But you still got one keeper :3:

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
:3: drat, gonna have to steal that one next time we don't catch anything!!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
An interesting video I came across about testing knots.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDHvXypyBG8

They also have some cool LBG videos up as well which are worth a look.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
This eldritch leviathan of a carp has moved into the stretch of the river I fish in and has been chilling there for the better part of a week.

Photo doesn't do it justice, the fish is huge and looks ancient.

I've never targeted carp before so I'm wondering what type of lure/bait should I use and if this guy can be heavy enough that I should bring out the salt water rod.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I've never caught a big carp, but in Texas they say they like to eat corn.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Spear or bow and arrow. Those things don't get huge for no reason.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Mandingo posted:

I've never caught a big carp, but in Texas they say they like to eat corn.

Corn is the easiest. Bread works too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

slavatuvs posted:

This eldritch leviathan of a carp has moved into the stretch of the river I fish in and has been chilling there for the better part of a week.

That might be a triploid grass carp. They get introduced into ponds and rivers for weed control. They're sterile, so they don't take the place over, but they're good at mowing. They are super huge, but also super chill. I was sad when the one in my pond died.

http://imgur.com/9lSW8Lb

That one was probably 8 to 11 years old when she died.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 29, 2016

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

slavatuvs posted:

I used to frequent the Rapidan River here in VA and these big guys (or something similar) used to patrol up and down my favorite spots for rock bass and smallmouth. They are totally bros and will brush up against your legs and such if you wade in the same spot long enough. They would also follow behind me as I moved up and down the river, picking off any morsels kicked up by my feet.

I never tried to catch one because they were just so "friendly", and the fact I don't think my ultralight setup could have handled them. Still, super cool to have fish bros chilling with you while you fish.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

That might be a triploid grass carp. They get introduced into ponds and rivers for weed control. They're sterile, so they don't take the place over, but they're good at mowing. They are super huge, but also super chill.
We have a handful in the local bass ponds. They're hilarious. Always a hoot to watch even the largest SMB back off while the grass carp moseys through just chill as gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Triploid grass carp are usually only found in private ponds and just eat plant matter suspended in the column. Carp though are really bad at sucking up game fish egg nests since they focus on the bottom.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I know this is not "fishing" per say but has anybody ever done magnet fishing for the hell of it and to see what you can drag up? I saw a neat youtube video where a guy took a 90lb strength magnet, attached it with a rope and tossed it around the local boat ramp and pulled up all kind of knives and tools that he was later able to salvage.

I am super curious if I took the same magnet and dragged it back and forth around a popular fishing shore line the things I could potential find, would be a neat to attempt when I am on the kayaks with my family and not doing anything serious.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Rythe posted:

I know this is not "fishing" per say but has anybody ever done magnet fishing for the hell of it and to see what you can drag up? I saw a neat youtube video where a guy took a 90lb strength magnet, attached it with a rope and tossed it around the local boat ramp and pulled up all kind of knives and tools that he was later able to salvage.

I am super curious if I took the same magnet and dragged it back and forth around a popular fishing shore line the things I could potential find, would be a neat to attempt when I am on the kayaks with my family and not doing anything serious.

I lost my favorite lure to a small mouth, can you come to my spot? You can keep the fish if it is still attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

slavatuvs posted:

I lost my favorite lure to a small mouth, can you come to my spot? You can keep the fish if it is still attached.

I just would be afraid to get it attached to some rebar connected to concrete and lose the magnet too.