Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's incredible that after reading a post so jam-packed full of information, I actually feel dumber now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Captain Bravo posted:

It's incredible that after reading a post so jam-packed full of information, I actually feel dumber now.

Welcome to the world of webcomics!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Had to stop when the Headmistress wanted the acolyte to testify about her dreams in front of everyone. Because having sexy dreams about your patron saint is completely normal

Oh, you have no idea.

Monastic orders don't really believe in the concept of 'oversharing'.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Captain Bravo posted:

Anything QC adjacent will have that effect.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The guys who wrote this webcomic don't know squat. Itchy should've tied Scratchy's tongue with a taut-line hitch, not a sheet bend. :smug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

anti-magic posted:

Anything QC adjacent will have that effect.

Look, all the usual criticisms are played out, there need to be fresh and inventive ways of calling it poo poo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is there a comic that takes place in the Itchy and Scratchy setting, but not an interesting part of it where anything happens

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The guys who wrote this webcomic don't know squat. Itchy should've tied Scratchy's tongue with a taut-line hitch, not a sheet bend. :smug:

"I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of magic xylophone?!"

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Tunicate posted:

Look, all the usual criticisms are played out, there need to be fresh and inventive ways of calling it poo poo.

I feel like that would take infinitely more effort than what Jeph puts into QC. Gonna stick to my guns here and stay in the square.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Has anything in QC actually been... questionable? I mean, I stopped reading years and years ago, but I remember every instance of drama having the edges painstakingly filed off to afterschool special specification. Also, are the characters aging or are they all still early twenties?

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Has anything in QC actually been... questionable? I mean, I stopped reading years and years ago, but I remember every instance of drama having the edges painstakingly filed off to afterschool special specification. Also, are the characters aging or are they all still early twenties?

It's questionable that anything in its years of running can be considered "content"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Questionably Content

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
who cares about that, the best webcomic since pokey the penguin has a book kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1839834283/super-mega-comics-book-everything-else-in-my-life

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Guys, you got to remember the first rule of QC.

Less QC is more.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RandomPauI posted:

Today's Questionable Content is really bugging me. This fire destroyed a person's residence making it a household fire. Which means the local Red Cross chapter gets contacted by the fire department and a Disaster Action Team gets deployed.

Here's a simplified summary of what should happen. A Disaster Action Team would arrive within about 30 to 45 minutes of being notified of the fire. They would talk with the fire victims and the fire department to determine how many victims needed what kinds of immediate assistance. The DAT lead would distribute a Client Assistance Card or Cards to the victims. Each card would contain several hundred dollars which the client or clients could use on food, lodging, and other needs.

In this case Bar Owner would get a CAC card because she lost her house. Robot Hand wouldn't get a CAC card because he just missed the bus. They'd also probably get some sweet and salty snacks, light beverages, and a stuffed animal if it's appropriate.

Client Casework would also be notified. Client Casework would connect the victim to services from other agencies they'd qualify for. They often work as an advocate to for the client if their insurance was giving them a hard time. They can also authorize disbursement of additional funds in certain circumstances.

We don't see a Red Cross presence here. The real life reasons could be that the fire department didn't notify the chapter or that the Red Cross simply hasn't gotten there yet. But what's probably happened is Jeph used this as a way to get the Bar Owner and Robot Hand to spend time together so they could become a couple down the line.

You might rightly point out that Northhampton, MA is about an hours drive away from the headquarters of the West Massachusetts Chapter of the Red Cross. But DAT teams aren't stationed at the headquarters. DAT and Client Casework are exclusively made up of volunteers who live and work throughout a chapter's geographical boundaries. You could also point out that calling it a CAC card is redundant. This is true, but getting a (KAK) Card sounds much more appealing than getting a (KAK).

Dude, I know you're super passionate about participating in red cross volunteer projects and you learned a lot from the seminars you took with them but this is questionable content here, it's not worth the first three words you typed and Jeff won't read it anyway since SA makes fun of QC so much

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This is a lot of fuss over one exagerrated romantic comedy shenanigan.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

RandomPauI posted:

Today's Questionable Content is really bugging me. This fire destroyed a person's residence making it a household fire. Which means the local Red Cross chapter gets contacted by the fire department and a Disaster Action Team gets deployed.

Here's a simplified summary of what should happen. A Disaster Action Team would arrive within about 30 to 45 minutes of being notified of the fire. They would talk with the fire victims and the fire department to determine how many victims needed what kinds of immediate assistance. The DAT lead would distribute a Client Assistance Card or Cards to the victims. Each card would contain several hundred dollars which the client or clients could use on food, lodging, and other needs.

In this case Bar Owner would get a CAC card because she lost her house. Robot Hand wouldn't get a CAC card because he just missed the bus. They'd also probably get some sweet and salty snacks, light beverages, and a stuffed animal if it's appropriate.

Client Casework would also be notified. Client Casework would connect the victim to services from other agencies they'd qualify for. They often work as an advocate to for the client if their insurance was giving them a hard time. They can also authorize disbursement of additional funds in certain circumstances.

We don't see a Red Cross presence here. The real life reasons could be that the fire department didn't notify the chapter or that the Red Cross simply hasn't gotten there yet. But what's probably happened is Jeph used this as a way to get the Bar Owner and Robot Hand to spend time together so they could become a couple down the line.

You might rightly point out that Northhampton, MA is about an hours drive away from the headquarters of the West Massachusetts Chapter of the Red Cross. But DAT teams aren't stationed at the headquarters. DAT and Client Casework are exclusively made up of volunteers who live and work throughout a chapter's geographical boundaries. You could also point out that calling it a CAC card is redundant. This is true, but getting a (KAK) Card sounds much more appealing than getting a (KAK).

Even though this is way more effort than QC deserves, it was nonetheless very educational and A Good Post Indeed. Thanks for the effort.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's not like I'm spamming the thread with technical Red Cross stuff. I started following this thread for criticisms recently. I finally had a meaningful criticism to share. I shared it. The odds of this topic ever coming up again are incredibly minute. So I'll leave it at this Nuns and you leave it at this and everything's fine.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

RandomPauI posted:

[a good post]

Good heavens, I learned something today and it was even funny.

I don't think I've ever seen a comic or show or book do that right, really. Although sometimes I guess you get people sitting on the back end of an ambulance with blankets on them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I learned something new today

Thanks RandomPaul

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

the main thing I learned is that Questionable Content still kind of sucks

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://gashirecomic.tumblr.com/post/126681118719/here-we-go

well i found this today and i don't know if it's good or bad but it's sure as hell something :v:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pavlov posted:

Guys, you got to remember the first rule of QC.

Less QC is more.

But then who would have sex with Robot Hand Dude as a reward for being such a nice guy?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Tollymain posted:

well i found this today and i don't know if it's good or bad but it's sure as hell something :v:

These creatures seem to cry a lot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fire follow-up services sound like cool peeps.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

RandomPauI posted:

It's not like I'm spamming the thread with technical Red Cross stuff. I started following this thread for criticisms recently. I finally had a meaningful criticism to share. I shared it. The odds of this topic ever coming up again are incredibly minute. So I'll leave it at this Nuns and you leave it at this and everything's fine.

Oh you don't know then. So the thread goes through cycles where different topics some up, and QC talk is the worst part of that cycle. Someone inevitably brings it up and It's just a long list of people saying how mediocre it is. That's why I do the garfield minus garfield edits to it. Because it is truly the garfield of webcomics. The only way to make it interesting is by removing the premise.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

But then who would have sex with Robot Hand Dude as a reward for being such a nice guy?

No you see, I've improved it, from a lovely setup for awkward bedfellows, to a young man's sudden and striking realization of his devoid and lonely existence.

I am an artist.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Or was it autist?

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is there a comic that takes place in the Itchy and Scratchy setting, but not an interesting part of it where anything happens

There's a workplace comic set in the Fireworks Factory, which is actually a dour and joyless place

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Tollymain posted:

I don't like looking at this at all! I mean, there's a technical skill there, but it's just so unpleasant to look at.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

robohand got a vibrate setting

FlyinPingu posted:

I don't like looking at this at all! I mean, there's a technical skill there, but it's just so unpleasant to look at.

I kinda get the impression that's what the artist's going for, but idk why

for some reason it reminds me of Hecate the Bandicoot, which I'd rather be reading

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 17, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Basileus is a sword-and-sorcery comic about two amoral bastards in a weird fantasy world. It's very Vance and Leiber.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlyinPingu posted:

it's by the same person who runs havesomemoore, that might explain it

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Despite not liking havesomemoore, I enjoyed what there is of that comic so far. I think their style works much better here than with their fan content.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've tried to come up with a way to describe it and all i can think of is "dr seuss but with grotesquerie instead of whimsy and also the artist is a furry probably?"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'd describe it as 'straight from the pages of Heavy Metal'.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tollymain posted:

i've tried to come up with a way to describe it and all i can think of is "dr seuss but with grotesquerie instead of whimsy and also the artist is a furry probably?"

A lot of characters on his tumblr remind me of Don Bluth movie villains.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Megazver posted:

Basileus is a sword-and-sorcery comic about two amoral bastards in a weird fantasy world. It's very Vance and Leiber.

this is phenomenal thx

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Megazver posted:

I tried it and it's oscillating between verbose and pedantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Tollymain posted:

it looks exactly like rejected art from the rock and rule character designers

• Locked thread