Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is Hearts of Stone a totally separate side-story, or is it connected to the main game's story in some way? Is it supposed to take place during or after the main game? (Same questions for Blood and Wine but I imagine nobody actually knows exactly yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Harrow posted:

Is Hearts of Stone a totally separate side-story, or is it connected to the main game's story in some way? Is it supposed to take place during or after the main game? (Same questions for Blood and Wine but I imagine nobody actually knows exactly yet.)

its independent and balanced to be done after the main story, but if you hold on on finishing the main questline there are a couple bits of dialogue with like triss and yen about it cause cdprojekt goes above and beyond

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Harrow posted:

Separate side-story, that has a few references to the main quest depending on where you are in it. Doesn't matter, but it's levelled to the end-game, b&w is also a separate story, probably levelled to the same point.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Harrow posted:

You can play it as a side-story or after the main game, some of the conversations change depending on how far you are into the main story and the things that happened there, but that is all. That said, the expansion content is for a higher level Geralt.

It has been implied that Blood & Wine is supposed to work in a similar way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool, thanks.

Related question: does GOG Galaxy have cloud saves? I just realized I've done a clean Windows install on my PC since I played TW3 so unless my saves are backed up somewhere, I'm doing a new playthrough anyway :v:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Harrow posted:

Cool, thanks.

Related question: does GOG Galaxy have cloud saves? I just realized I've done a clean Windows install on my PC since I played TW3 so unless my saves are backed up somewhere, I'm doing a new playthrough anyway :v:

From a quick google search, looks like nope not yet, lots of people calling for the feature. Hearts of stone lets you start a new character at the right level for the DLC.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ZearothK posted:

It has been implied that Blood & Wine is supposed to work in a similar way.

I'm hoping its explicitly after the main quest. It seems like a perfect way to say goodbye to geralt and friends in a less doom and gloomy environment.

also hearts of stone kinda makes sense as it happens in the same area as the main quest, Geralt just loving off to Touissant while Ciri is missing/being hunted seems a bit odd.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

From a quick google search, looks like nope not yet, lots of people calling for the feature. Hearts of stone lets you start a new character at the right level for the DLC.

Can you then take that character and play the main game with them?

I'm kind of okay doing a new playthrough from scratch, though. It's been a year since I played and I think I'd have fun playing through again, so it's not too terrible.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

psychoJ posted:

now start up new game+ :getin:

I don't think I could handle the last few bosses in Heart of Stone in NG+. Jesus Christ that poo poo was obnoxious -- the only major flaw in an otherwise great DLC.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Harrow posted:

Can you then take that character and play the main game with them?

I'm kind of okay doing a new playthrough from scratch, though. It's been a year since I played and I think I'd have fun playing through again, so it's not too terrible.

I think it's hearts of stone only. But I haven't actually tried.

Have fun with your new playthrough.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dirt posted:

So I finished the main quest like last weekend Got the Ciri empress ending, I feel like it was super sad for Geralt even if that was the "good" ending. . I am playing on PS4, trying to finish up trophies for the platinum before I go into the DLC stuff. All I am missing is the marksman trophy. It is really annoying. The headshot detection is awful in this game. I am doing the whole Devil's Pit -> fast travel to Vizema -> repeat thing. Only getting 2-4 head shots per run sucks. But I will get it eventually!

Easiest way to farm headshots: Devil's pit, run in, run out past the door (they can't cross it), start whittling down their HP. When a guy has very low HP, Axii the dude when you can see his right side, then shoot the right side of his face. Should get a headshot most times you do that.

Also: respec into max crossbow benefits for this, since it has to be a killing blow headshot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ronvid should have been a returning character into the endgame :argh:.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I can see it now. You're facing down the king of the wild hunt and have him on the ropes, then Ronvid jumps in outta nowhere, kicks the king aside and challenges you to another duel.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
d'aw, althought I was kind of hoping they'd have special dialogue or something.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Where are the best places to find Mandrake Cordial and Cherry Cordial to make White Gull?

Also, what enemies around Novigrad can be farmed for Red Mutagens? I have a fuckton of Greater Green/Blues, but only some Werewolf and basic reds...

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Man I wish items had some neat tidbits of lore when you examined them, like in Dark Souls or something. Just flavour text or such really. Especially of this fuckin Elf Head I have lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I AM BRAWW posted:

Where are the best places to find Mandrake Cordial and Cherry Cordial to make White Gull?

Also, what enemies around Novigrad can be farmed for Red Mutagens? I have a fuckton of Greater Green/Blues, but only some Werewolf and basic reds...

For me at least, red mutagens more regularly dropped from Endregas and other insectoid enemies.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Only (reliable) sources for those spirits are barkeeps, possibly fancier ones like Oxenfurt and I think Novigrad at least.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Only (reliable) sources for those spirits are barkeeps, possibly fancier ones like Oxenfurt and I think Novigrad at least.

Yeah, for the fancier boozes for potions, you gotta start hitting up taverns.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

GuyUpNorth posted:

Ahh that must be why, I've been ignoring barkeeps. Thanks. Superior oils and bombs are starting to get demanding, and while I'm way overleveled I'm still anal about having every alchemy item at my disposal.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

I AM BRAWW posted:

Ahh that must be why, I've been ignoring barkeeps. Thanks. Superior oils and bombs are starting to get demanding, and while I'm way overleveled I'm still anal about having every alchemy item at my disposal.
Also, the merchant at Crow's Keep (the one on the lower level, not the quartermaster near the smiths) also seems to have like a bunch of both on hand whenever he restocks.

Man, they were really pushing for Crow's Keep to be your makeshift HQ. Too bad the quick travel sign is far away enough from all the useful stuff to make it annoying.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tupperwarez posted:

Also, the merchant at Crow's Keep (the one on the lower level, not the quartermaster near the smiths) also seems to have like a bunch of both on hand whenever he restocks.

Man, they were really pushing for Crow's Keep to be your makeshift HQ. Too bad the quick travel sign is far away enough from all the useful stuff to make it annoying.

there is also a tavern dude with a ton of it in skellige in the first city you go to.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you PC Players use mouse and keyboard or controls?

I first played this game on PS4 but playing it with a keyboard now is so confusing; there's like 30 buttons for things that should be a different button :psyduck:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Arcsquad12 posted:

For me at least, red mutagens more regularly dropped from Endregas and other insectoid enemies.

Lvl 18 drowners on Skellige drop reds quite often.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Abu Dave posted:

I first played this game on PS4 but playing it with a keyboard now is so confusing; there's like 30 buttons for things that should be a different button :psyduck:

No, I use a wired DS4 controller!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Dirt posted:

So I finished the main quest like last weekend Got the Ciri empress ending, I feel like it was super sad for Geralt even if that was the "good" ending. . I am playing on PS4, trying to finish up trophies for the platinum before I go into the DLC stuff. All I am missing is the marksman trophy. It is really annoying. The headshot detection is awful in this game. I am doing the whole Devil's Pit -> fast travel to Vizema -> repeat thing. Only getting 2-4 head shots per run sucks. But I will get it eventually!

Anyways, I want to talk about the game. I never really played any of these games before. I own 1 and 2 on steam, purchased during sales for basically nothing. I tried 1, never got out of Kaer Morhen due to being too dumb for the wonky combat. I played 2 for a few hours, but it ran like poo poo on my PC at the time so I quit. I wish 3 had a more detailed backstory before the game. I kinda went in blind, and had no idea who like 90% of the characters were. The glossary was helpful, and I read all that poo poo. and I read a ton of the books in game as well, but I still finished the game feeling like I barely knew what was going on. But I enjoyed it a lot. One of my favorite games ever for sure.

My main gripes with the game are the controls. They are mushy, and unresponsive as gently caress. Other than that, this game is perfect.

How are the books? Worth reading? This whole world is really interesting to me. I want more :D

Also I am level 37, with all the places of power found and maxed out Bear school gear. I want to respec into something different for the DLC. I did a alchemy build for the deathmarch difficulty, and once you hit level ~17 it's basically godlike. Heavy armor(bear school) + Tawny Owl(especially broken at night time once you upgrade) + rage management + Dancing star with shrapnel upgrades + oils, + 25% health per potion chugged, + Archgriffen/Ekhidna decoction combo+ all the HP buffs from the green mutagens is ridiculously powerful. You basically can't die once you get enough skillpoints. Also had a few points in signs for Axii_>Puppet, which is crazy powerful for big groups.

Can someone recommend a build that plays considerably different than my current one? I basically just oil up, toss bombs to get everything burning/frozen/poisoned/staggered then hack away until everything is dead.

Alchemy in this game is one of the things I really enjoyed. Most games, potions are just crap taking up your inventory space. But potions/oils/decoctions are crazy powerful here. I love that.

I had great fun with a "Jedi" build. All the fast attack options maxed, Cat School techniques, Far-reaching Aard maxed, enough points in Axii to get Puppet, Arrow Deflection and Fleet Footed maxed. Can't remember exactly what else, but you get the idea.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Abu Dave posted:

M&KB here, feels pretty natural to me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ill stick with it then.

Any mods you guys reccomend for PC?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

10 Beers posted:

I had great fun with a "Jedi" build. All the fast attack options maxed, Cat School techniques, Far-reaching Aard maxed, enough points in Axii to get Puppet, Arrow Deflection and Fleet Footed maxed. Can't remember exactly what else, but you get the idea.

This sounds pretty fun. Gonna give it a shot.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Abu Dave posted:

Ill stick with it then.

Any mods you guys reccomend for PC?

At the moment, I just use a mod that makes monster trophies not complete poo poo and the light version of the Enhancement System mod that makes relics, rares, and whatever other kind of weapons and armors you find worth keeping cause you can now upgrade them to your hearts content.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you going to install those

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How's Igni doing these days? I was thinking of just picking up the Melt Armor upgrade for it and that's about it, but I heard Igni got nerfed pretty hard--was that just in reference to a Firestream-focused build?

Last time I played through I did a very heavy Alchemy build. This time I think I'm going to do mostly swords, with some signs (Aard seems good) and just Acquired Tolerance and Synergy from alchemy. Also planning on playing on at least Blood and Broken Bones; last time I played through, I turned it up to Death March in the endgame and it was still too easy, though everyone's saying the DLC is much harder.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Deakul posted:

At the moment, I just use a mod that makes monster trophies not complete poo poo and the light version of the Enhancement System mod that makes relics, rares, and whatever other kind of weapons and armors you find worth keeping cause you can now upgrade them to your hearts content.

Can I install stuff like that trophies mod in the middle of a current playthrough without fuckin something up? Will it lock me out of cheevos?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Can I install stuff like that trophies mod in the middle of a current playthrough without fuckin something up? Will it lock me out of cheevos?

Yes and no.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

How's Igni doing these days? I was thinking of just picking up the Melt Armor upgrade for it and that's about it, but I heard Igni got nerfed pretty hard--was that just in reference to a Firestream-focused build?

I'm running a build with max Melt Armor and use Igni regularly. Apart from some bug or feature where not every enemy in a group catches fire even tho i have 100% chance of that happening, i'd say that Igni is pretty balanced now. It follows most of the rest of the abilities, signs and potions in the game, strong if the enemy is weak to it and situationally handy. The armor reduction is always nice tho.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Deakul posted:

Yes and no.

Thank you, I've been thinking "christ monster trophies suck" and plus they don't even hang at my waist. why the hell can I not have a wyvern head at my waist..

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dongattack posted:

I'm running a build with max Melt Armor and use Igni regularly. Apart from some bug or feature where not every enemy in a group catches fire even tho i have 100% chance of that happening, i'd say that Igni is pretty balanced now. It follows most of the rest of the abilities, signs and potions in the game, strong if the enemy is weak to it and situationally handy. The armor reduction is always nice tho.

Cool, that's what I was hoping for.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for both light and strong attack damage and crit chance--I like switching it up too much to pick one style over the other--along with maybe Whirl and some Adrenaline Point abilities, with Acquired Tolerance + Synergy, Melt Armor, Delusion, and maybe Cat School Techniques. I really love the way the Ursine armor looks, but the attack power bonus from the Feline armor is really nice, and I'm guessing I'll get armor I might want to use over both in the DLCs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I AM BRAWW posted:

Thank you, I've been thinking "christ monster trophies suck" and plus they don't even hang at my waist. why the hell can I not have a wyvern head at my waist..

Because then roach would be jealous you took his saddle toy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah, I wish all of the monster trophies had a unique model too, most of them are just a tiny pouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

Cool, that's what I was hoping for.

I'm thinking I'll probably go for both light and strong attack damage and crit chance--I like switching it up too much to pick one style over the other--along with maybe Whirl and some Adrenaline Point abilities, with Acquired Tolerance + Synergy, Melt Armor, Delusion, and maybe Cat School Techniques. I really love the way the Ursine armor looks, but the attack power bonus from the Feline armor is really nice, and I'm guessing I'll get armor I might want to use over both in the DLCs.

Nice, that's almost my build too. I just use the Ursine chest piece and then some attack power gear in the other slots, the chest piece covers almost all of it anyway so i don't look like a leveling WoW character.