Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

For the dessert party, tables for 2 sell out fast. Try calling and adding an infant (should be free) so you have a table of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm finishing up planning for my trip to food and wine from Nov 4-13 and then discovered two irritating things at the same time. One, I was really wanting to do the party for the senses but historically it's only been held in October. I'm hoping that with a longer festival and the Half Marathon going on that maybe it'll be held the first Saturday in November as well. Second, it's both the marathon weekend as well as Jersey week, so I'm expecting lovely crowds the whole time.

I'm aiming for 2 days in Epcot on weekdays for food and wine, two mk days including the party one night, hopefully a day in animal kingdom to enjoy the new nighttime attractions if they're open, and two days to finally go to universal and check it out.

I'm hoping for fair weather, which shouldn't be too much to ask for in November, but we'll see.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I found Cinderella's Royal Table to not be worth it at all, even normalizing it against Disney prices. (I mentally tack on extra 100% for character, environment, etc compared to the outside world).

So going in the castle is cool, and I'm glad we did it, but I'll never go back. We had 9:00 AM breakfast reservations when we went a couple months ago, and it probably took 45 minutes to actually get up to a table. My daughter did Bippidy Boppity Boutique beforehand, so we needed time for that before eating breakfast. Getting 2 hungry kids to behave for that long isn't the easiest thing. We didn't get our food until probably 10:00 Then I found the food to be average at best. The service was impeccable, and the atmosphere was great, but I should have gone in understanding that I was paying almost 300 dollars for 5 of us to go inside the castle and meet 4 princesses and the food was going to be an afterthought.

So as long as you understand what you're really paying for, and you just have to experience the inside of the castle once, it might be worth it. No way in hell I'll ever pay to go back though.

Kung Fu Candy
Oct 28, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

For the dessert party, tables for 2 sell out fast. Try calling and adding an infant (should be free) so you have a table of 3.

Thank you!! I went on the website and changed the party to 3 and immediately some times came up. All I had to do was add an infant guest to the guest list and it was all set at no additional charge! Thanks for the tip!

And skipdogg I agree about Cinderella's Castle, the food is very lackluster for what you pay, and seeing as we have already eaten there once before I just cancelled our dinner reservations since I was able to book the Wishes Dessert Party. I really wasn't dying to go back there after having experienced the princess dining once. I made a rez at Tony's Town Square restaurant since it's not far from the fireworks dessert show but some of the reviews have me on the fence about it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm finishing up planning for my trip to food and wine from Nov 4-13 and then discovered two irritating things at the same time. One, I was really wanting to do the party for the senses but historically it's only been held in October. I'm hoping that with a longer festival and the Half Marathon going on that maybe it'll be held the first Saturday in November as well. Second, it's both the marathon weekend as well as Jersey week, so I'm expecting lovely crowds the whole time.

I'm aiming for 2 days in Epcot on weekdays for food and wine, two mk days including the party one night, hopefully a day in animal kingdom to enjoy the new nighttime attractions if they're open, and two days to finally go to universal and check it out.

I'm hoping for fair weather, which shouldn't be too much to ask for in November, but we'll see.

As one of the sources of Jersey Week traffic I can say that it usually doesn't really get busy until the end of the week. Tuesday we have off for Election day, back to school on Wednesday then off Thursday and Friday for Teacher's Convention. Not everyone takes off for the whole week, so you should be good for Epcot on weekdays, that is what we usually do.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wife has been getting to have lunch from the Tiffins crew as the ramp up and man, that food is looking excellent. I think it's going to bring a much needed alternative to Tusker House for table service dining. I don't really count Rainforest and was never impressed by Yak & Yeti.

Pictures of the food; much more fine-dining and closer to something like California Grill honestly

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom/tiffins/

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 14, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
For me:
MK
Be Our Guest
Skipper Canteen

Epcot
Biergarten (but it's the only table service I've eaten there
Everything looked amazing so you probably can't go wrong

HS
Brown Derby
50s Prime Time

AK
HARAMBE MARKET
I love their kurubi ribs.

I guess I haven't eaten a ton of table service places; but I did pick up some news ones last time (Brown Derby, 50s, CA Grill, Skippers). There needs to be more love for the Harambe Market - it's the only place I want to eat - and its QSR so that's nice.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

tomapot posted:

As one of the sources of Jersey Week traffic I can say that it usually doesn't really get busy until the end of the week. Tuesday we have off for Election day, back to school on Wednesday then off Thursday and Friday for Teacher's Convention. Not everyone takes off for the whole week, so you should be good for Epcot on weekdays, that is what we usually do.

That's good to hear. The end of the week is getting into repeats so I'm not too concerned if the business kicks in later. I'm kind of hoping that the MK extra hours paid thing will keep going into the Fall, but with all the hard ticket parties I doubt it.

Bottom Liner posted:

Wife has been getting to have lunch from the Tiffins crew as the ramp up and man, that food is looking excellent. I think it's going to bring a much needed alternative to Tusker House for table service dining. I don't really count Rainforest and was never impressed by Yak & Yeti.

Pictures of the food; much more fine-dining and closer to something like California Grill honestly

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom/tiffins/

This place is looking so good, I really hope it turns out to be a decent alternative for table service.

Anya posted:

For me:
MK
Be Our Guest
Skipper Canteen

Epcot
Biergarten (but it's the only table service I've eaten there
Everything looked amazing so you probably can't go wrong

HS
Brown Derby
50s Prime Time

AK
HARAMBE MARKET
I love their kurubi ribs.

I guess I haven't eaten a ton of table service places; but I did pick up some news ones last time (Brown Derby, 50s, CA Grill, Skippers). There needs to be more love for the Harambe Market - it's the only place I want to eat - and its QSR so that's nice.

MK has such poo poo for TS restaurants, I have no idea what's going on there. Even BOG for lunch is pretty meh, though it's definitely a good dinner. I'm looking forward to trying Skipper Canteen to see how it fares. Not a fan of the same-day reservations, though. I've tried a few other places (crystal palace, harbor house, and the mac and cheese booth are the ones that come to mind) and they were all pretty poo poo tier foods. Especially crystal palace - breakfast was the most gnarly cafeteria food ever and it's basically a $60 character meet.

Epcot wins by a mile for good food in the parks but it still has some stinkers. I keep going during F&W or F&G so I still haven't gotten to try a lot of them. The only ones I've done are Monsieur Paul, Chefs de France, and Via Napoli. Of them, I'd say MP was pretty decent, though overpriced. Chefs was bordering on quick service and it was packed full, and Via Napoli definitely had some good pizza, but holy poo poo it was loud in there and my autismic goon brain couldn't handle the volume.

I've only been to the two DHS restaurants you posted and goddamn the Brown Derby was awesome. That grapefruit cake lived up to expectations. I wish all of the parks had a restaurant that was run in the same way as this one. 50s I actually didn't find all that great, and my server didn't really get into the atmosphere much.

Haven't done much at AK outside of Flame Tree BBQ which, being from Texas, was meh. I'm looking forward to trying Tiffins, though. I do think Jiko is pretty much the best place I've eaten outside of V&A's on Disney property.

Oh yeah, I snagged the Chef's Table at V&A's this November and I'm trying to find some pictures of it after the remodel that took place over the new year. Has anyone here visited yet?I heard they tried to make the area a little more classy, which I'm not entirely a fan of, but we'll have to see.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Walt Disney's latest nighttime neurotypical spectacular!

Featuring 100 characters wearing noise-cancelling headphones while rocking back and forth playing handheld Pokemon games!

See Mickey battle the powers of darkness by melting down while having to wait in a five minute line!

See Mickey's parents attempt to get a Guest Assistance Card and threaten to sue when told that it's now the Disability Access Service card, and that they can no longer skip basically every line with their precious pumpkin!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
You got a table for V&A? I'm jealous! I'd love to go there someday. I've done Boma and California Grill as my two signatures so far. BOG has been good every time I've been there for lunch, but I've not done dinner so I can't make a comparison. Breakfast is okay, a bit overrated but it was on the DDP so whatever.
Skipper was nice but I was a bit confused because my server was really into theming and patter and I wasn't expecting that.
50s I had a good server who was low key for a single eating me and played it more for the big tables, but the food was good and I couldn't finish anything.
Planned my CA grill dinner during Wishes, and I got to watch an evening thunderstorm from up high, so that was awesome. I didn't realize you could just come up and eat at the bar, or in the lounge area so next time I would do that.

MK I do more snacks there - had a Spice Road ADR that I cancelled and just had snacks everywhere, but I want to eat at Makerresh, I've never quite pulled it off for various reasons.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

poolside toaster posted:

Featuring 100 characters wearing noise-cancelling headphones while rocking back and forth playing handheld Pokemon games!

See Mickey battle the powers of darkness by melting down while having to wait in a five minute line!

See Mickey's parents attempt to get a Guest Assistance Card and threaten to sue when told that it's now the Disability Access Service card, and that they can no longer skip basically every line with their precious pumpkin!

:asoiaf:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The curry hotdog at harambe market was disgusting imho.

That said harambe market is my most favorite thing ever and i love how it's themed and if you could make a meal out of a bag of african spice popcorn you should becuse its amazing

Kung Fu Candy
Oct 28, 2010

poolside toaster posted:

Which park is this show held at, all of them?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Ordeal Kingdom

EDIT: Continuing the project of watching every Disney movie, it's fun seeing some of these and remembering why they aren't really remembered as fondly as others. Aristocats, for example, has a weird ~10 minute slapstick scene where the villain has to get his hat back from a couple dogs.

Also Scat Cat and his band of Swingers suffering heavily from shifting slang definitions.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 16, 2016

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Thank you for this great guide. I'm finally going to Disney World in November and not knowing where to start is pretty intimidating. I was pretty floored when I found out you have to make dinner reservations six months ahead!

We'd initially planned for November 12 - 19, for which advance reservations aren't open yet. Unfortunately, we just shifted our travel date back a week to coincide with the holiday Friday (which is my birthday) so it means my chances of eating at Be Our Guest that day are already shot for the moment. I did read in the thread that you've got to be patient and keep a tab open to check for reservations every so often in the months before your stay. I'm only going with my husband, so I really hope we'll be lucky and get in.

We're not really interested in eating at all the restaurants ever, and mostly plan to eat wherever, but I at least wanted to check out one or two of the restaurants in the park for the experience.

I never went to Disney as a child because my divorced parents were fighting over who got to take me and the one who won never did, so this trip is very significant for me and I want to have as much fun as possible and enjoy what I can. :shobon: I'm really excited about this! Even if I don't end up getting dinner reservations, I'm sure it will still be a blast. I want to plan well, but keep a relaxed approach knowing I can't do everything at once.

Question: How busy is the park around Veteran's Day? Is it far enough from thanksgiving that it won't be too crowded? I hear it's also the last week of the wine festival, so would that make a difference?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Just check every day - I scored California Grill and BOG ADRs that way. People make stuff and cancel or move things around all the time, since there is no penalty until 24 hours before. You will have so much fun! I have friends there right now and I wish I could be there instead of at work.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Cheese Pain posted:

Question: How busy is the park around Veteran's Day? Is it far enough from thanksgiving that it won't be too crowded? I hear it's also the last week of the wine festival, so would that make a difference?

We went during veterans day once by accident. It's super crowded for the day of and a couple days before, but usually attendance levels drop off a cliff afterwards. If you're going for a decent amount of time, I would just recommend avoid magic Kingdom the day of veterans day as most people will pick that as their go to park.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Anya posted:

Just check every day - I scored California Grill and BOG ADRs that way. People make stuff and cancel or move things around all the time, since there is no penalty until 24 hours before. You will have so much fun! I have friends there right now and I wish I could be there instead of at work.

Thank you for this. I'll keep trying and hope something comes up. I've got six months, after all!

couldcareless posted:

We went during veterans day once by accident. It's super crowded for the day of and a couple days before, but usually attendance levels drop off a cliff afterwards. If you're going for a decent amount of time, I would just recommend avoid magic Kingdom the day of veterans day as most people will pick that as their go to park.

We'll be around for a week. We haven't made arrangements yet, so we might decide to keep it as 12th - 19th to avoid the holiday and hopefully some crowds. I don't really feel like I need to be there right on my birthday anyway. Thanks for the quick response!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

We were there over Veteran's Day last year. We just avoided MK. I'm pretty sure we did Epcot that day and it was fine.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
MK sometimes will close for capacity reasons right? There are the different phases, right?

Have any of the other parks shut for capacity reasons?

I assume AK and Epcot are big enough that that never happens. But HS is so small.....

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like I'll be one among the throngs coming this memorial weekend. Going to take my niece as she wants to go to the Jedi training before she reaches the cutoff age.

Last time I went was before the big costuming rules change, and I'm wondering would my niece(10yrs) be allowed to go to the park dressed as Rey this upcoming trip?

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

BlueBayou posted:

MK sometimes will close for capacity reasons right? There are the different phases, right?

Have any of the other parks shut for capacity reasons?

I assume AK and Epcot are big enough that that never happens. But HS is so small.....

I was at AK last year and they closed the turnstiles for a short while, and announced extended operating hours halfway through the day, so it is possible.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Quixotic1 posted:

Last time I went was before the big costuming rules change, and I'm wondering would my niece(10yrs) be allowed to go to the park dressed as Rey this upcoming trip?

The cutoff age is 14 yo for costumes..

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Looks like I'll be one among the throngs coming this memorial weekend. Going to take my niece as she wants to go to the Jedi training before she reaches the cutoff age.

Be at the park right when it opens for Jedi. It will be filled up right after park opening.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

code:
Phase 1 Closure

Casual visitors are turned away at the automobile toll plazas. This means that people without tickets, those with one-day, single-park tickets, and those intending to use cast member passes will not be allowed to park.
Other guests may enter such as:
Those with multi-day or multi-park tickets
Those staying at a Disney Resort
Annual Passholders
Those re-entering the park that day.
Those "hopping" from another park.
Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
Those arriving via Disney transportation

The following are dates within the past 5 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 1 capacity closure:
Magic Kingdom: December 25, 26, and 29, 2014

Phase 2 Closure

The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
Annual Passholders
Those re-entering the park that day.
Those "hopping" from another park.
Those arriving via Disney transportation

The following are dates within the past 5 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 2 capacity closure:
Magic Kingdom: April 8 and 9, 2009; December 28 and 30, 2009; December 29, 2010; December 25 and 28, 2011; December 24, 25, and 30, 2012; December 25 and 30, 2013; July 4, 2014; December 31, 2014.
Hollywood Studios: December 29, 2009 and December 28, 2011
Animal Kingdom: December 28, 2009 and December 28, 2011

Phase 3 Closure

The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:
Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 5 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 3 capacity closure:

Magic Kingdom: April 7, 2009; December 29 and 31, 2009; March 30, 2010; December 25 and 31, 2010; December 31, 2011; December 27, 28, and 31, 2012; January 2, 2013; March 25-28, 2013; July 4, 2013; December 31, 2013.

Phase 4 Closure

The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests. The only Phase 4 Closure in the past 5 years has been Magic Kingdom on April 7, 2009.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what ride debuted april 7th 2009?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Abu Dave posted:

what ride debuted april 7th 2009?

From Google it looks like nothing debuted but just a perfect storm of Easter week and crazy discounts that year.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh weird.

Hey next time any of you guys are in the parks and near Space Mountain can you check to see if they have the Splash Mountain wrapper available on the machine thing for the iphone 6s plus case? Thanks and pleaseeeeeeeeee

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Ok so one of my goals this year was to have at least one booking for each month of the year. The only one I'm missing at this point is August. If anyone here was already thinking about going to Disney (or anywhere, really) any time in August and you let me book it for you, I'll throw in a gift card.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also this Star Wars overlay for Rock n Roller Coaster is really cool and I had no idea it was like that for that day I was there >:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NJTH9YWGw

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
That was for the special launch party ticketed event they had. One day only!

I have an interview to head back to the parks in two weeks. Every awful thing I heard about working in the reservation center was true.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
What's the guest count need to be to start a phase one closure? 40,000? I've always wondered what the capacity for each park would be.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Anya posted:

What's the guest count need to be to start a phase one closure? 40,000? I've always wondered what the capacity for each park would be.

Nobody knows the exact number. The magic Kingdom has an estimated capacity of about 100k people.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
I'm trying to convince my fiancée that we should do a Disney land and sea trip for our honeymoon next year, but the Disney site no long seems to offer that as an easily bookable package. I seem to remember it being offered before, but the last time I did that was almost six years ago. Is it still possible to package things together, or do you have to book each separately now?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Wolfen posted:

I'm trying to convince my fiancée that we should do a Disney land and sea trip for our honeymoon next year, but the Disney site no long seems to offer that as an easily bookable package. I seem to remember it being offered before, but the last time I did that was almost six years ago. Is it still possible to package things together, or do you have to book each separately now?

Hit up Braksgirl. Most goons in this thread go through her for anything Disney.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Land and sea is no longer a bookable package. You have to do them separately.

Also, as of today, FP selections can be made at 7 am on your 60 day date instead of midnight.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Braksgirl posted:

Land and sea is no longer a bookable package. You have to do them separately.

Also, as of today, FP selections can be made at 7 am on your 60 day date instead of midnight.

Or 4am instead of 9pm on the west coast. Sigh...

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah, you West coasters get the short end of that stick unfortunately.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Apparently Sum of All Thrills is closing within the next week? That was a cool experience for me when I went exploring in Innoventions this last trip and finally did that and Colortopia. Good air conditioning fun for this northerner, and I liked how I could control what the ride did and how it felt to flip around. Too bad if that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's what i've read as well. I enjoyed it, but there are better uses for a kuka arm than a simulator (Forbidden Journey)