Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Internet Explorer posted:

There's some really dumb opinions in this thread about urban design which isn't about urban design. Pretty sure I saw one in D&D not long ago. Go post your dumb opinions there.

Thanks for shouting people down while contributing nothing to the discussion, without even explaining why you think those opinions are dumb.

Creating EVs within the development context of current and future urban design is essential to the platform's success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Thanks for shouting people down while contributing nothing to the discussion, without even explaining why you think those opinions are dumb.

Creating EVs within the development context of current and future urban design is essential to the platform's success.

My pleasure. If you need anything else please let me know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Michael Scott posted:

contributing nothing

You are addressing Internet Explorer.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.
Anyone have opinions on the updated 2016/gen 2 edition of the Chevy volt? probably a little out of my price range right now, but the $7500 tax credit (also, when is the government going to stop handing these out?) makes the prospect appealing, as opposed to going for a used gen 1.

would waiting until the end of the year say, December make much of a difference on the price of a new model?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

tacosupreme posted:

Anyone have opinions on the updated 2016/gen 2 edition of the Chevy volt? probably a little out of my price range right now, but the $7500 tax credit (also, when is the government going to stop handing these out?) makes the prospect appealing, as opposed to going for a used gen 1.

would waiting until the end of the year say, December make much of a difference on the price of a new model?

It is a good car, if you can wait used ones with low miles sell for stupid low amounts. Or buy a generation 1 for $13,000.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tacosupreme posted:

Probably. Despite it being an awesome car, Chevrolet can't market its way out of a wet paper bag, and they have a hard time moving them. Once the early adopters get theirs, the dealers will be keen to get them off their lots. I got a screaming deal on my 2013, for similar reasons.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There, no more excuses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m the load‐bearing clothesline.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How many amps is the clothesline rated for?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You actually gain a few hundred watts by the current free falling like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Robert Llewellyn has a humongous stiffie for electric cars, everyone knows that.

But apparently he also prefers cock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEUvHqf_M0

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Some of these people appear to have extended their appartments onto their balconies. I am going to guess they are not overly concerned about code violations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Robert Llewellyn has a humongous stiffie for electric cars, everyone knows that.

But apparently he also prefers cock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEUvHqf_M0
Well that was fun.
Mostly not too stupid, mix of energy sources etc. Though I don't know enough about carbon capture to know whether he's talking poo poo there or not.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Probably. Despite it being an awesome car, Chevrolet can't market its way out of a wet paper bag, and they have a hard time moving them. Once the early adopters get theirs, the dealers will be keen to get them off their lots. I got a screaming deal on my 2013, for similar reasons.

Is there a good Volt forum out there? Seriously considering looking at one after VW buys my car back because you can get them with 30k miles and less for like $15k.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Is there a good Volt forum out there? Seriously considering looking at one after VW buys my car back because you can get them with 30k miles and less for like $15k.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/forum.php is pretty much the only one, but it's not what I'd call good. Most people that buy Volts aren't exactly enthusiasts, or mechanically inclined, so there is a lot more noise than I am used to on car forums.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

MrYenko posted:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/forum.php is pretty much the only one, but it's not what I'd call good. Most people that buy Volts aren't exactly enthusiasts, or mechanically inclined, so there is a lot more noise than I am used to on car forums.

Who makes up the largest bloc that buys Volts if not enthusiasts?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Michael Scott posted:

Who makes up the largest bloc that buys Volts if not enthusiasts?

Being an electric car nerd is different than being a car enthusiast. The following is not to say that every self-professed "car guy" is an expert, but electric car nerds tend to know less about cars.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Probably my favorite line in the tv show Silicon Valley so far is the incubator mans freaking out at the business mans being there, which he deduced from him having a Volt parked outside.

That business mans in Silicon Valley is a caricature of the kind of person the Volt appeals to; attracted to the new, dangerous, and adventurous, but a hard-nosed practical Khaki-wearer to the core.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Well that was fun.
Mostly not too stupid, mix of energy sources etc. Though I don't know enough about carbon capture to know whether he's talking poo poo there or not.

I think he's pretty right. CCS seems like a massive boondoggle. Every now and again a story floats up about how it's going to be feasible any day now, but it looks more like an excuse for doing nothing.

I'm speaking as a coal company owned Australian numpty.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

That's why I asked. All the forums I briefly visited seemed a little weird.

Might try and test drive a Volt over the next couple of days. Not being a hatchback is a knock, but it looks like they still have a ton of usable room inside. What kind of highway mileage do you get at 70+ mph?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boten Anna posted:

Probably my favorite line in the tv show Silicon Valley so far is the incubator mans freaking out at the business mans being there, which he deduced from him having a Volt parked outside.

That business mans in Silicon Valley is a caricature of the kind of person the Volt appeals to; attracted to the new, dangerous, and adventurous, but a hard-nosed practical Khaki-wearer to the core.

What season is that? In the first episode of season 3 Richard drives a Volt.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

That's why I asked. All the forums I briefly visited seemed a little weird.

Might try and test drive a Volt over the next couple of days. Not being a hatchback is a knock, but it looks like they still have a ton of usable room inside. What kind of highway mileage do you get at 70+ mph?

In my gen I, I get ~35mpg on road trips @ 75-80mph. Electric-only, it'll go 30-35mi at 70-75mph, but that's in-city highway driving. On my old commute at ~55mph in heavy traffic, it did 41-43mi, and now since I moved, I have a shorter, but much calmer commute, I do 65-70, and get almost exactly the rated electric range (38mi,) though I don't use it all in a single commute.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

In my gen I, I get ~35mpg on road trips @ 75-80mph. Electric-only, it'll go 30-35mi at 70-75mph, but that's in-city highway driving. On my old commute at ~55mph in heavy traffic, it did 41-43mi, and now since I moved, I have a shorter, but much calmer commute, I do 65-70, and get almost exactly the rated electric range (38mi,) though I don't use it all in a single commute.

Not great, not terrible either. I'd probably be able to do most of my commute on electric only which would balance out the less than stellar mpg on the longer trips I take. I'll probably test drive a Prius again too, but I didn't like the one I drove before buying my Golf at all. They're both roughly comparable on price and the more fun vehicle will absolutely win over straight up economy. Another thing going against the Volt is cold Missouri winters and my detached, unheated garage. Not sure what it would take to get the better charger to preheat installed in it either.

It would be nice to be able to charge at work but we don't have any chargers. Do you guys have any at ZMA? I've seen them at other federal facilities but not any FAA ones I've been to.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Not great, not terrible either. I'd probably be able to do most of my commute on electric only which would balance out the less than stellar mpg on the longer trips I take. I'll probably test drive a Prius again too, but I didn't like the one I drove before buying my Golf at all. They're both roughly comparable on price and the more fun vehicle will absolutely win over straight up economy. Another thing going against the Volt is cold Missouri winters and my detached, unheated garage. Not sure what it would take to get the better charger to preheat installed in it either.

It would be nice to be able to charge at work but we don't have any chargers. Do you guys have any at ZMA? I've seen them at other federal facilities but not any FAA ones I've been to.

Ya, I don't really take many long trips, so it works for me; It's certainly a situational vehicle, and isn't going to work for everyone. The Gen II car makes gas-mode effiency a bit more of a priority. It gets significantly better mileage when on the range extender, AND runs on 87 octane. (Gen I Volts require 91+ octane.) The Volt is straight-up better to drive than a Prius, in every way. It's faster, it feels more solid, and its more fun to drive irresponsibly. :v:

As for charging, the car can accept up to 220vac@15amps (The Gen II can do 17 amps, I think.) For convenience and to be future-proofed, I'd do a 220vac@50amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Its the same kind that RV parks have, and all the hardware is easy to get. Unless you're tight on service overhead, it won't cost any more than a 30amp circuit, and you'll be future proofed if you ever get a Tesla or something. This is the charger I had decided on before I found out my current place can't accommodate a 220vac circuit for the garage. (Teslas don't use external charging stations like that; They simply plug into the outlet, which is why I recommend a standard outlet, instead of a hard-wired charger.)

ZTL's NATCA guys got management to sign an agreement that said they would allow chargers to be installed, but the funding dried up, and it never went anywhere. (I followed it up as a blueprint to get them where I work.) We don't have chargers at ZMA either, nor does MIA, FLL, TMB, FXE, or any of the contract towers around here. There's two gen I Volts, and a Fusion Energi at work, but no charging. :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

The Volt is straight-up better to drive than a Prius, in every way. It's faster, it feels more solid, and its more fun to drive irresponsibly. :v:

This is actually pretty huge for me and one of the reasons why I ended up in a TDI. It's actually reasonably fun to drive in a mildly aggressive fashion.

quote:

As for charging, the car can accept up to 220vac@15amps (The Gen II can do 17 amps, I think.) For convenience and to be future-proofed, I'd do a 220vac@50amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Its the same kind that RV parks have, and all the hardware is easy to get. Unless you're tight on service overhead, it won't cost any more than a 30amp circuit, and you'll be future proofed if you ever get a Tesla or something. This is the charger I had decided on before I found out my current place can't accommodate a 220vac circuit for the garage. (Teslas don't use external charging stations like that; They simply plug into the outlet, which is why I recommend a standard outlet, instead of a hard-wired charger.)

ZTL's NATCA guys got management to sign an agreement that said they would allow chargers to be installed, but the funding dried up, and it never went anywhere. (I followed it up as a blueprint to get them where I work.) We don't have chargers at ZMA either, nor does MIA, FLL, TMB, FXE, or any of the contract towers around here. There's two gen I Volts, and a Fusion Energi at work, but no charging. :(

I should probably have an electrician or two come out and give me some quotes on charging stuff since I live in an 80 year old house without the most modern electrical setup...

I'm absolutely shocked that funding for something like that didn't go anywhere. Shocked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrYenko posted:

(Teslas don't use external charging stations like that; They simply plug into the outlet, which is why I recommend a standard outlet, instead of a hard-wired charger.)

Teslas come with a little (half a pop can) adapter for J1772 charging connectors, I plug mine into them all the time. There's also a charging connector that goes from a 240V outlet, of course, but getting a J1772 charger is perfectly usable.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What season is that? In the first episode of season 3 Richard drives a Volt.

Season 1, pretty early on . And I'm talking about Jared, I had to look it up because I love that show but I cannot keep all the white mans names straight.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

Teslas come with a little (half a pop can) adapter for J1772 charging connectors, I plug mine into them all the time. There's also a charging connector that goes from a 240V outlet, of course, but getting a J1772 charger is perfectly usable.

Right, but you don't need a $400 charging station with a Tesla, you just need an adaptor and a 220v outlet, was my point, whereas with a Volt, you need a J1772 charging station.

fknlo posted:

I should probably have an electrician or two come out and give me some quotes on charging stuff since I live in an 80 year old house without the most modern electrical setup...

Snap a picture of your main breaker panel, and I can at least give you a ballpark.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 19, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I do wonder if I'm going to get annoyed with the adapter when I get my Model 3 and don't particularly feel like spending hundreds+ to swap out home EVSE, though it might be worth whatever obscene amount to get a second one for the t/frunk and one to just leave on my home adapter, although I haven't ruled out the possibility of keeping my current Leaf or whatever I upgrade to when the lease is up and installing a second charger either.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boten Anna posted:

I do wonder if I'm going to get annoyed with the adapter when I get my Model 3 and don't particularly feel like spending hundreds+ to swap out home EVSE, though it might be worth whatever obscene amount to get a second one for the t/frunk and one to just leave on my home adapter, although I haven't ruled out the possibility of keeping my current Leaf or whatever I upgrade to when the lease is up and installing a second charger either.

You're missing the point; Teslas don't require an external charging station at all, they can plug directly into a wall outlet with a cheap adaptor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think my dad's 2016 volt has some sort of relatively inexpensive thing that plugs in to the wall.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think my dad's 2016 volt has some sort of relatively inexpensive thing that plugs in to the wall.

Volts come with a 110v charge unit that plugs into a normal wall outlet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrYenko posted:

Volts come with a 110v charge unit that plugs into a normal wall outlet.
110 charging makes a whole lot more sense in a volt than a Tesla, so it's amusing that Tesla gives those out at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Snap a picture of your main breaker panel, and I can at least give you a ballpark.

Dug this one up from some adventures I've had in the past

I've got a small sub-panel in the garage but it's just running off one of the breakers in the main panel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilkhan posted:

110 charging makes a whole lot more sense in a volt than a Tesla, so it's amusing that Tesla gives those out at all.

It's good for things like weekend trips to visit someone, where you can leave it for 24 hours to charge. I've used mine a couple of times, and to top up via a 110 outlet in a parking lot at work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

All electric cars can charge with a power brick straight from the plug, can't they? But limited to 2 kW or something. The box on the wall is if you want more power.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

It is a good car, if you can wait used ones with low miles sell for stupid low amounts. Or buy a generation 1 for $13,000.

Counter point, gen II has a fair bit more driver headroom if you have a long torso. It also doesn't need 91 octane gas. That said if you are more normally proportioned, no reason to not get a gen I. I regularly got 45 miles out a charge when drove a company one for a month.

Disclosure: I work for GM.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Google has a new idea for pedestrian impact safety.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/19/technology/google-flypaper-car/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Dug this one up from some adventures I've had in the past

I've got a small sub-panel in the garage but it's just running off one of the breakers in the main panel.

I need a shot of the main disconnect, too, to see what the overall electrical service is.

Ola posted:

All electric cars can charge with a power brick straight from the plug, can't they? But limited to 2 kW or something. The box on the wall is if you want more power.

Using the factory 110v adaptor, Volts default to 110v@8amps, but can be set to draw 12amps, though you have to manually set it to 12amp charge every time you shift out of park... (Godamnit, GM...)

If you plug them into a J1772 Level-2 charger, it'll draw 220v@15amps.

Teslas can charge at 220v at up to 40amps directly from a 220v wall outlet, using the mobile connector, which is analogous to the 110v adaptor that comes with a Volt. The ability to plug into a 220v outlet pretty much anywhere is a pretty huge advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

MrYenko posted:

You're missing the point; Teslas don't require an external charging station at all, they can plug directly into a wall outlet with a cheap adaptor.

Yeah if you want to charge at a rate that only gives you about 4 miles of range per hour. On a Leaf it takes a full 24 hours to charge from empty on 110v. It used to not quite or just barely charge all the way from my then 30-45m each way mostly surface street daily commute if I plugged it in the second I got home and unplugged it when I left, and I'd have to go to a nearby public station if I needed to go somewhere after work or run a lot of errands. It was tenable and I didn't have to very often, but I had to micromanage and worry about it a lot.

While a larger battery pack with more range and supercharger access makes 110 more tenable for many users, it's still not ideal, and in my case I have a standard 220v EV charger in my driveway so it'd be more effort to plug it in to 110v, and I'm trying to figure out how fussy the adapter will be when I go from Leaf to Model 3 and if I'd want to take it off every day to ensure I can use public charging if I have to, just get a second adapter for the frunk and leave it attached, or install a tesla charger in addition to my current one and keep the Leaf I'm currently leasing so we have 2 EVs.

• Locked thread