Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

NancyPants posted:

Do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance? That typically covers your possessions when they're in your vehicle.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

Ohio. Today after my accident, for which I was absolutely not at fault, i went to my car at the lot to retrieve my possessions from my vehicle only to find that they dumped gravel and oil all over the back seat of my car, destroying everything back there, including my $240 of Dominion cards. They gave me absolutely no warning that this was a possibility.

I called both insurance companies, mine and State farm (who has been great throughout this process), and they said I have to go after the towing company directly. I am currently composing a very polite email asking them to replace the items, with a handy amazon link.

How hard is it to do small claims? I imagine it's straightforward. Should I just not bother? I'm mostly furious that these utter fuckers ruined my poo poo and then tried to give me a personally responsibility lecture when I approached them about dumping oil all over my poo poo without warning after I had just been in an accident.

Renters insurance WOULD cover this, but I'm hesitant to file a claim over less than $1000 worth of property. You can definitely ask nicely like you are, and then threaten to lawyer up. Did you take pictures of what happened? Is it obvious they were just careless and dumped stuff everywhere?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Renters insurance WOULD cover this, but I'm hesitant to file a claim over less than $1000 worth of property. You can definitely ask nicely like you are, and then threaten to lawyer up. Did you take pictures of what happened? Is it obvious they were just careless and dumped stuff everywhere?

Apparently once they saw what happened they cleaned it up and tried to salvage my stuff, and the 'wrecker' who towed my car and actually did get into some poo poo. I got a call a bit ago. I'm still gonna have to sort out how extensive the damage is. Part of the problem is any really obvious damage to one side of a card kind of ruins that card. But I'll try to be fair about what really needs replaced vs what I can substitute.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Leperflesh posted:

Hi law goons. We are having a discussion in the Homeownership thread down in BFC. It begins with this post and is just a few posts long. I would like some sort of lawyerly legal opinion about this.

In the united states, can a homeowner's insurance policy issuer deny a theft or burglary claim, solely on the basis that the homeowner failed to adequately secure their home? If so, exactly what standard of security is considered non-negligent?

For example, suppose a homeowner failed to lock their front door while they were gone, and they were then burgled with no other forced entry. Could the insurer claim that the homeowner was "negligent" for not locking the door, and then deny the claim on that basis?

How about if a homeowner locked the front door, but not the back door, and there was an unlocked side gate that lead to the back door?

Do community standards apply? In an inner city where everyone has bars on their doors and windows, are you negligent if you don't have bars? If you live in a rural area where nobody even locks their door, are you negligent for not locking your door? Is the burden on the homeowner to prove in court what their community standard for security is?

If there's specific case law that settles this matter, I'd love to see it. I'm also interested if the answers to these questions vary by state, and the degree to which (if any) an insurer can write negligence clauses into a contract that let them deny claims on these sorts of bases.

As you say this is going to be very state-by-state and I doubt you will be able to get a solid answer on this that applies to more than one state. Certainly not any specific case law that is good anywhere but in the state you are in.

But generally speaking, insurance companies underwrite policies based on probabilities over large populations, and that's how they make money---by collecting X premiums for every claim made. Not by writing policies and denying claims all the time. It would get pretty costly to litigate the standard of care on every claim: whether neighbors have bars on their windows, the cost of installing bars vs. the risk of burglary, the likelihood of those bars preventing a burglary, etc. Public policy in most states probably doesn't favor requiring insureds to prove they took every reasonable precaution every time a loss happens.

I think you are much more likely to see policy language excluding coverage for losses "expected or intended by an insured," which arguably extends to idiots leaving their doors wide open while they go on vacation as well as people intentionally or "accidentally" allowing their poo poo to get stolen so they can make a claim. Certainly when a claim has elements of blatant carelessness on the part of the insured, the insurer is going to scrutinize it harder.

So while I don't think you will see policy language excluding loss due to the insured's negligence or lack of care, you might see language that allows the insurer to deny coverage where they consider the actions of the insured intentional or so egregious that the loss had to have been expected to happen.

The counterbalance to this are typically bad faith laws that require insurers to properly investigate claims and have a reasonable basis to deny them, otherwise they are subject to punitive damages that can be pretty harsh, incentivizing them to give their insureds the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe the guy in the BFC thread can post the policy language he is talking about? I would be curious to read it.

e. I'm especially curious to see his language after re-reading his post, since he refers to personal injury coverage not excluding homeowner negligence...I mean duh, that's the point of liability coverage, to indemnify and defend the homeowner for his/her negligence.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 17, 2016

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Georgia. If our landlord wants us to leave, but hasn't given us 60 days notice (lawyer said she needs to give us that), does she have to give us an official letter or email saying to vacate? So far, all she did was tell us in an email to leave in three days (and then ten, and two weeks, and then the end of the month, etc.). The reason I want this is because she's trying to paint a picture that we're the ones leaving because we're choosing to. I have reiterated in the emails that she is the one breaking the lease (per lawyer advice), but want an official letter/email if possible.

This is related to my previous posts. We had wanted to not deal with her until we moved, but she emails us every week with dates to move out/what payments we'll get back (or won't) if we move out on x date. tl;dr if anyone cares is we spoke with a lawyer, who said she can't legally withhold our security deposit (thankfully, there is specifically a section in state law that says that), told her that and she backed off on withholding our security deposit, and we found a new place (a nicer one at that :unsmith:) which will be ready around the 1st. We also refused to let her show the house while we're living there (which we can do legally), which she is pissed and making vague legal threats about, but we are just dealing with this from day-to-day now.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Ask your lawyer your specific questions like that

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Fair enough, thanks.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Partners A and B embark on a project that involves developing a piece of software. Let's say it's a game. The partners filed a provisional patent on the specific and unique game play mechanic that separates their game from other games in its genre. The provisional patent has since lapsed. Both partners contributed ideas, and put in significant sweat, but the game play mechanic that is at the center of it was really partner B's idea. The project dissolved. The partners haven't worked on anything, since, and neither has worked (publicly, at least) on anything like the piece of software in this story. Assume that, for whatever reason, partner A is not interested in having anything more to do with partner B as far as this project is concerned. If partner A resurrects the idea, and it is successful, would partner B have any cause to get a piece of the pie? Assume no one is going to bother disputing the facts. Partner B put the crown on the original concept, and partner A will not try to deny that.

Edit: The partners both live in the United States.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 19, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Someone finally got Zybourne Clock off the ground?

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Sounds more like this one: http://www.google.com/patents/US20090017886

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Centripetal Horse posted:

Partners A and B embark on a project that involves developing a piece of software. Let's say it's a game. The partners filed a provisional patent on the specific and unique game play mechanic that separates their game from other games in its genre. The provisional patent has since lapsed. Both partners contributed ideas, and put in significant sweat, but the game play mechanic that is at the center of it was really partner B's idea. The project dissolved. The partners haven't worked on anything, since, and neither has worked (publicly, at least) on anything like the piece of software in this story. Assume that, for whatever reason, partner A is not interested in having anything more to do with partner B as far as this project is concerned. If partner A resurrects the idea, and it is successful, would partner B have any cause to get a piece of the pie? Assume no one is going to bother disputing the facts. Partner B put the crown on the original concept, and partner A will not try to deny that.

Edit: The partners both live in the United States.

Define "resurrect the idea" because it's probably not patentable

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Centripetal Horse posted:

Partners A and B

Its one half IP law, and one half Partnership law. IP is federal, but partnership law will be a state-by-state proposition.

Depending on the state its in, and the natural variance from case to case, the range of outcomes vary from, "Partner B gets nothing, because there isn't now/was never a legally-recognized partnership." to "Partner B gets 50% of all proceeds from the venture."

Edit: There is also a statute of limitations issue that also varies from state to state.

Double Edit: Look, if you're partner A, then "yes, there is a possibility that Partner B could have a claim against your product. Talk to a lawyer."

If you're partner B, then "Yes, its possible you could be entitled to proceeds or some other interest in the product. Talk to a lawyer.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 19, 2016

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Won't matter because there's no IP.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Define "resurrect the idea" because it's probably not patentable

Entirely possible, although both the partners' research, and the patent attorney they consulted for advice and to file the provisional patent, seem to indicate there is a good chance it is patentable. In this case, "resurrect" means to build a new product around the central mechanic in question, and possibly file for an actual patent. Mostly, it's about using the mechanic in a new product.

blarzgh posted:

Its one half IP law, and one half Partnership law. IP is federal, but partnership law will be a state-by-state proposition.

Depending on the state its in, and the natural variance from case to case, the range of outcomes vary from, "Partner B gets nothing, because there isn't now/was never a legally-recognized partnership." to "Partner B gets 50% of all proceeds from the venture."

Edit: There is also a statute of limitations issue that also varies from state to state.

Double Edit: Look, if you're partner A, then "yes, there is a possibility that Partner B could have a claim against your product. Talk to a lawyer."

If you're partner B, then "Yes, its possible you could be entitled to proceeds or some other interest in the product. Talk to a lawyer.

Thanks. This is pretty much what I figured, but the partnership happened in one state, and now the partners both live in separate states, neither of which are the state the original work was done in. On the whole, does state partnership law tend to lean one way or the other on this issue?

Kalman posted:

Which means... partner B is most likely out of luck?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
A hundred times better lawyer than me...

http://i.imgur.com/V44jtUah.jpg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kalman posted:

Why not? Are game mechanics no longer patentable?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Why not? Are game mechanics no longer patentable?

Game mechanics are questionable these days, given modern 101, though it depends on exactly the mechanic at issue.

The bigger problem is that a provisional patent isn't a patent, and they let it expire and lost their filing data. They could attempt to refile but if there was any public disclosure of the mechanic in the interim, they're likely barred statutorily anyway. That probably includes if they disclosed it publicly.

(And if they did refile, the other partner would have equal rights in the IP.)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Game mechanics are almost certainly not patentable under modern 101

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Not sure if this is the right thread... if not let me know.

What recourse does a person have to stop a collection agency from pestering them about a debt they don't owe? Say for example that John Doe from Amalgamated Widget Co. owes Client some money. The collection agency somehow decides (who knows how) that Frank Smith from Associated Widget Co. is the right person to collect from, even though he has the wrong name and perviously worked for a company with a different (albeit similar) name. Should Frank get a lawyer involved to get the collection agency off his back, or can he just ignore the debt collector since it's obvious they have the wrong person? Is there any sort of governmental agency that deals with this sort of thing if things get nasty?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Have you told the callers they are talking to the wrong person? Do they identify themselves as debt collectors, or that it is a call in relation to collecting a debt?

Is the debt consumer related (i.e., not business debt)? If you know

Are they calling your home phone, cell, work?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

Have you told the callers they are talking to the wrong person? Do they identify themselves as debt collectors, or that it is a call in relation to collecting a debt?

Yes to both questions. When I told them they had the wrong person and the wrong company they immediately started going down the Jerk Debt Collector rabbit hole ("What are you, some sort of low life who doesn't pay your bills?" "Just because you don't work at [wrong company] anymore, you think you don't owe any money?" "Oh sure, like there's more than one Amalgamated Widget Co. in the world!") etc. Lots of BS and intimidation.

In addition to the call they also sent me an email with an invoice and a letter demanding payment. Amusingly, the invoice lists the person's name as John Doe, but the the email they sent me was addressed to Frank-John, like they think I have an alter ego or something.

EwokEntourage posted:

Is the debt consumer related (i.e., not business debt)? If you know

No, it's a business debt. Amalgamated Widget Co. owes someone money, but John Doe's name is on the invoice. I am not John Doe, nor have I worked for Amalgamated Widget Co. so :shrug:

EwokEntourage posted:

Are they calling your home phone, cell, work?

Personal cell phone, but work email. It's a small enough industry and my work email is posted lots of places so it would be easy to find. Not sure how they got my cell number.

kedo fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 19, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's not even a real debt. T hey sent you an email, it's a common wire fraud scam. They pretend they're going to arrest you over the debt, then demand a nonsensical amount of money over an untraceable way payment method (green dot, visa gift cards, etc).

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I thought that initially, but I googled the collection agency and they appear to be legit (albeit with several BBB complaints), and the companies and people involved are all real enough as well. It seems like they just confused my old employer with the actual company that owes the debt, and for some reason I was the person they contacted.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

As you say this is going to be very state-by-state and :words:

Thanks, just got back to reading your reply. This is about what I figured.

Here's a new one:
I was just down at my friendly local Polish & European Import deli store, which is a little tiny place run by one guy. I went in to replenish my supply of amazing Polish Kirsch, which has whole cherries in the bottle and is really good.

I asked for it and instead got a fountain of angry tirade. Not directed at me, but apparently regulators. Here's his story (and for reference, this is in California):

He has a wine & beer license, not a liquor license. The regulatory body (He called them the ABC, so that'd be the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control) decided to fine & penalize him for selling this stuff. Why? Because it says "Liqueur" on the (in Polish) label. However, the alcohol content is only 18%.

This is the stuff:

Instead of paying the fine (I think he said $3k plus a month of no selling alcohol?), he paid $5000 in legal fees going to court to fight it. He says the judge ruled in his favor. And then the ABC sent him a letter saying he had to pay the fine and penalty anyway, they didn't care about the legal decision.

That sounds pretty crazy to me. How can the ABC simply defy a legal decision? Of course it's hearsay, so I have no idea what his actual judgement was about.

Anyway it gets better. The ABC sent him another case, this time accusing him of selling alcohol to a minor. The ABC sends their stuff to some third-party company, who puts a date stamp and case number on it and sends it to him. Apparently the alleged sale took place 14 months before they sent him the letter, and there's a 12-month statute of limitations. To get around that, the ABC re-used the case number for the case of the Kirsch issue, which was more recent. Furthermore, they could not furnish a receipt for the sale, and also claimed that a specific brand of beer had been sold (some porter, I don't remember the exact name) which he says he hasn't sold in more than six years.

So basically his position is that the ABC is trying to gently caress him for taking them to court, he is out probably $10k in legal fees to fight them, and he only makes about $6k a year in profits on sales of alcohol.

What I don't get: how can the ABC simply ignore a legal decision? Can my friend the angry store owner prevail against them? Is this one of those examples of statutory law, where intent (mens rea) defense is worthless because all they care about is actual violation of the letter of the law, irrespective of intent? Is the California ABC known for being evil?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 20, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Can't answer most of it. There are attorneys who specialize in ABC law in CA and he probably needs to talk to them.
Selling alcohol to a minor is a strict liability offense however.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
My sister wrecked her car by driving into a field off of a highway. She was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and the car was turned over to my dad 30-45 minutes after the accident. My dad drove down to the hospital while the officer followed him and arrived about an hour and a half after the accident. The officer investigated it as a DUI and suspected she was under the influence. They got a search warrant for her blood and it took about 1 hour to withdraw because the phlebotomist could not find a vein.

The preliminary hearing was scheduled for the following morning. The case was dismissed because there was "a lack of police presence" (idk what this means) and the police/court could not prove she was behind the wheel.

This seems like a pretty basic thing to gently caress up and caused some physical and emotional trauma, is there anything she can do besides being thankful?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here's a fun IP situation, involving this patent. I've only just heard about this and skimmed it, but it appears to be
1. patenting a general statistical method
2. patenting a general statistical method that's been around and in common use since maybe the mid 80s.

The person who linked me it said the background section reads like they read a certain book published in 1962 and then were frozen in time. So,
a) can general statistical methods be patented,
b)is that what this patent is doing,
c) how did this not get rejected given the decades of prior art
and d) is it normal for patents to have this many grammatical errors?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah she should sue the police officer for not showing up for court

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm more looking for an explanation on why it was dismissed after her being arrested and forced to give blood at the hospital (the prosecutor and judge answered none of this).

The only thing I can think of is that the officer arrived after my sister left for the hospital and he lost possession of the vehicle when he gave it to my dad.

im gay fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 20, 2016

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's a fun IP situation, involving this patent. I've only just heard about this and skimmed it, but it appears to be
1. patenting a general statistical method
2. patenting a general statistical method that's been around and in common use since maybe the mid 80s.

The person who linked me it said the background section reads like they read a certain book published in 1962 and then were frozen in time. So,
a) can general statistical methods be patented,
b)is that what this patent is doing,
c) how did this not get rejected given the decades of prior art
and d) is it normal for patents to have this many grammatical errors?

This is what you're talking about?

1. A system for displaying search results of a search of a personal communication network, the personal communication network including a plurality of members, the system comprising:
at least one processor programmed to:
gather explicit personal-communication-network data from information entered on the personal communication network;
gather implicit personal-communication-network data from activities conducted on the personal communication network, wherein the implicit personal-communication-network data includes historical data describing interactions of the personal-communication-network members within the personal communications network;
search the gathered explicit and implicit personal-communication-network data for a key word or phrase identified by a party conducting the search to identify at least one personal-communication-network member related to the key word or phrase, wherein the search includes making inferences about at least one personal-communication-network member based upon the key word or phrase; and
display results of the search by:
showing the at least one personal-communication-network member that is identified by the search;
showing how the party conducting the search is linked to the at least one personal-communication-network member identified by the search by visually depicting the degree of separation in the personal communication network between the party conducting the search and the at least one personal-communication-network member; and
showing at least one field of interest linking the party conducting the search to the at least one personal-communication-network member identified by the search.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

im gay posted:

My sister wrecked her car by driving into a field off of a highway. She was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and the car was turned over to my dad 30-45 minutes after the accident. My dad drove down to the hospital while the officer followed him and arrived about an hour and a half after the accident. The officer investigated it as a DUI and suspected she was under the influence. They got a search warrant for her blood and it took about 1 hour to withdraw because the phlebotomist could not find a vein.

The preliminary hearing was scheduled for the following morning. The case was dismissed because there was "a lack of police presence" (idk what this means) and the police/court could not prove she was behind the wheel.

This seems like a pretty basic thing to gently caress up and caused some physical and emotional trauma, is there anything she can do besides being thankful?

If this was in California, it may not matter. With a felony here, the DA has 10 days to do a preliminary hearing. At the prelim, the DA must prove there is probable cause to believe the defendant did the offense. This means they must prove both that the person was driving and that the BA was >.08. However, if they lose the prelim (or it is dismissed), they get another bite at the apple and can refile.

edit: Why the gently caress does she not have a goddamn lawyer who is explaining this poo poo?

nm fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 20, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This is what you're talking about?

1. A system for displaying search results of a search of a personal communication network, the personal communication network including a plurality of members, the system comprising:
at least one processor programmed to:
gather explicit personal-communication-network data from information entered on the personal communication network;
gather implicit personal-communication-network data from activities conducted on the personal communication network, wherein the implicit personal-communication-network data includes historical data describing interactions of the personal-communication-network members within the personal communications network;
search the gathered explicit and implicit personal-communication-network data for a key word or phrase identified by a party conducting the search to identify at least one personal-communication-network member related to the key word or phrase, wherein the search includes making inferences about at least one personal-communication-network member based upon the key word or phrase; and
display results of the search by:
showing the at least one personal-communication-network member that is identified by the search;
showing how the party conducting the search is linked to the at least one personal-communication-network member identified by the search by visually depicting the degree of separation in the personal communication network between the party conducting the search and the at least one personal-communication-network member; and
showing at least one field of interest linking the party conducting the search to the at least one personal-communication-network member identified by the search.

Yeah. It's describing a bundle of computerized data collection and reporting methods (some for SNA, some traditional) that have been around for a long time. Heck, the actual quantitative and visualization methods that are involved are downright outdated. Programs that do the visualization and computation of this sort of thing are old enough that their websites look like this. The listserv of SNA researchers who linked it to me are cycling between bemusement at how old/bad everything in it is and concern about patent trolls blocking their work.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 20, 2016

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

nm posted:

edit: Why the gently caress does she not have a goddamn lawyer who is explaining this poo poo?

She did and the lawyer said that there almost certainly won't be a refile because the officer hosed up the procedure somewhere along the way.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah. It's describing a bundle of computerized data collection and reporting methods (some for SNA, some traditional) that have been around for a long time. Heck, the actual quantitative and visualization methods that are involved are downright outdated. Programs that do the visualization and computation of this sort of thing are old enough that their websites look like this. The listserv of SNA researchers who linked it to me are cycling between bemusement at how old/bad everything in it is and concern about patent trolls blocking their work.

The filing date is 2004, so that's not entirely surprising.

quick review of the file wrapper indicates that the examiner thought that the "showing at least one field of interest linking the party conducting the search to the at least one personal-communication-network member identified by the search" wasn't in the prior art

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nm posted:

If this was in California, it may not matter. With a felony here, the DA has 10 days to do a preliminary hearing. At the prelim, the DA must prove there is probable cause to believe the defendant did the offense. This means they must prove both that the person was driving and that the BA was >.08. However, if they lose the prelim (or it is dismissed), they get another bite at the apple and can refile.

Lmao even when you quote a guy named Im gay it says "im gay"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

im gay posted:

Some stuff

He's probably used to it but that's still pretty entertaining.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

kedo posted:

I thought that initially, but I googled the collection agency and they appear to be legit (albeit with several BBB complaints), and the companies and people involved are all real enough as well. It seems like they just confused my old employer with the actual company that owes the debt, and for some reason I was the person they contacted.

If you don't owe the debt, then tell them to go gently caress themselves and that you won't pay. If they get sufficiently bad, you might have a claim for harassment, depending on your state laws. And maybe your state has more expansive laws that cover business debt collection, as the FDCPA and a lot of state versions don't cover business debts.

quote:

cop would likely be covered by at least one form of immunity

quote:

He says the judge ruled in his favor. And then the ABC sent him a letter saying he had to pay the fine and penalty anyway, they didn't care about the legal decision.
This is hard to believe.

quote:

Can my friend the angry store owner prevail against them?
if what you say/were told is true, then maybe. In strict liability crimes, you don't have to prove intent, but you still have to prove the act happened

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The filing date is 2004, so that's not entirely surprising.

quick review of the file wrapper indicates that the examiner thought that the "showing at least one field of interest linking the party conducting the search to the at least one personal-communication-network member identified by the search" wasn't in the prior art

OK, thanks! That in particular is something that even facebook does internally, without any SNA -it's part of how they do stuff like recommend friends and identify common traits. I'll not worry about it and let the researchers with the existing patents and grants and $$$ figure it all out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

This is hard to believe.

if what you say/were told is true, then maybe. In strict liability crimes, you don't have to prove intent, but you still have to prove the act happened

He actually had the letters handy, although I did not read them because at that point my goal was to escape the store without angering the only man I know in my town who can sell me a decent piroshki. At the end there I was standing in the doorway, trying to slowly close the door and nod, and he just kept talking to me while my frozen food slowly thawed in the bag.

His problem with fighting the next one is the legal cost, but I get the impression he's going to do it, because this man has been enfuriated by the unfairness of the legal process. He thinks that some specific person at the ABC is upset that he fought them in court and won, and is now determined to punish him by engaging in additional bullshit. He is also angry that he has to pay the ABC $2k a year for his license.

I felt bad for him but mostly I just wanted some kielbasa, mustard, and the best kirsch I've ever tasted. I had to go without the kirsch. Goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

In my experience, most controlled buys in this state are done by local cops and the nerdiest police explorers, not the ABC.