Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Trand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Definitely Trand. It'll be a learning experience from Knight, talking to someone on the opposite side of weirdness vs seriousness.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Flavio for no other reason than the fact that his name popped up in my head first.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I don't have any problems with your narrative, and I don't really have any problems with Tyler. Besides, I just gave you an inspiration for a character, I don't really care about how you portray him. As far as I am concerned, he is your character to write with as you please.

As for hanging out, Bertrand.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While it's a shame Nadia hasn't been voted in more, if she's not an amazing character, it's like whatever, she'll see more use later on. Hopefully. But seeing everyone's EO LPs makes me really believe that a non-narrative would be pretty dry and uninteresting, at least for someone who's played all the games. I really do like the characters and it's a lot of fun reading the updates, though to begin with I had some trouble remembering all of them, cause drat there's a lot of classes in this game :v: Fetus and Ragnar, you're doing great work!

Anyway, it's hard to choose, cause I love everyone, except maybe not Arianna, but she's not boring like Simon, or uggggggggh like Arthur, so we'll go Trand, cause Chloe can become a little bit one note if you focus on her too much.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm sorry Chloe, but Trand is best story mode character

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Now that you've seen the Story party in action for another Stratum, which Story mode character do you think Knight should spend more time with?

Regina

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 39: Things Get Serious at the End

...And that's what she told me to say.
Wait, wait, hold up. You want me to ask her what?
Oh, hey. Mornin', lovebirds. What were you two up to this early? Some romantic breakfast?
I normally wouldn't dignify that with a response, but Ranger just wanted me to walk with him while he got his breakfast.
You're not convincing me that I'm wrong~
Does he LOOK like he's interested in anything even vaguely romantic?

Hi yes hello again! I'm back from two weeks of final projects and final exams! It was very annoying and stressful but it's all over now! Let's celebrate by going through 19F.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what that floor subtitle means.

Do we not have special boots for these acidic floors?
I already spent forever learning how to hit things with this staff, I'm not gonna spend more time learning how to make boots.

Take note of that symbol in the background, by the way--it's irrelevant now, but it'll become important again later, in the postgame.

SYSTEM: It could be seen as a foothold... You can try mustering your courage and stepping onto it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If you want to be the first to step on a floating platform inside this crazy place, be my guest.
A leader must inspire her subjects, I suppose.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/WeeBogusAdeliepenguin.webm (GIF version)

SYSTEM: It seems as if these footholds can take you straight forward in the direction that you embark upon them. Making good use of these should show you a way deeper into this 4th Stratum... Now that you know this, you check your position and plot your route forward.

Platforms really are as simple as that: as soon as you step on them, they will move in the direction you stepped on them until they hit an obstacle.

Oh christ.

I'LL KILL ALL OF YOU!

At least Ranger only ate one of the hits.

Doing this too often chews through both Stardust and Rheine's TP really quickly, but that's preferable to dying to these goddamn moths.

Right in the wings, heh!

You propose to establish a cast based on the following tenets: that you're incompetent to run your own show, but competent to shout at others-that you're unfit to exist in theater, but fit to become an omnipotent director.
Gyahaha, I'll smash this bug t' bits!

Oh for god's sake.

In order to deprive us of matches, that you may then deprive us of our artificial ice, you have always regarded effects workers as slaves who deserve no fame.
Nadia, remind me to burn Stardust's stupid book when we get back to town.

I WILL SLAUGHTER YOU ALL AND FEAST ON YOUR CORPSES!

Okay, yeah, this isn't funny any more.

How's that whip feel, punk?!

I'm beginning to hate everything in this place, but especially those drat moths.

That could've gone real south, real quick, if the left moth had used Slice and Dice while Stardust and Rheine were panicked.

Is it normal for birds to have beaks larger than their heads?

Diatryma
HP: 460, STR: 36, TEC: 26, VIT: 29, AGI: 25, LUC: 26
Skills:
  • Survival Instinct: Used upon another enemy dying. Cannot be disabled. Increases the user's physical attack by 60% for 4 turns.
Drops:
  • Normal: Glinting Beak. 40% chance. Sells for 326 en. 1 needed to make White Hat (+28 DEF). 3 needed to make Halberd (+132 ATK). 5 Razor Edges and 2 Glinting Beaks needed to make Wind Claw (+121 ATK). 4 Glinting Beaks and 2 Night Vines needed to make Shamshir (+124 ATK). 7 Glinting Beaks and 2 Ancient Beaks needed to make Rostrum Shield (+40 DEF).
    "A large metallic beak, white and curved. Easily workable, and widely used."
  • Ingredient: Scarebird Egg. 1-2 given. 3 needed to make Scorpion Green Pasta (Western Food 4; Increases escape rate by 10%). 3 needed to make Forest Fried Rice (Chinese Food 4; Restores 5% max TP upon ailment/bind infliction).
    "A large egg with a thick shell."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 75% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 50% 100% 100%
50% 100% 100%
100% 50% 100%

A bird with a gigantic mouth. If one is slain, its kin will frenzy!

I'd be more worried about Diatrymas if they could perform any actions besides normal attacks. The only other notable thing about them is that they're one of the few bird enemies that doesn't have a Stab and/or Volt weakness.

Like, yeah, their normal attacks hurt, but consider that Ranger's VIT is really terrible and, most importantly, he's still alive.

These are the clumsiest birds I've ever seen.

Sophie will be eating well toni--
The other one!

Man, that's some extreme fight-or-flight right there.
Too bad it's almost dead!

Correction: it's dead.

Does anyone else hear very intense screeching to our left?
You're probably just hearing things. I mean, do you see anything in front of us now?
No, but perhaps we should look to our left?
Why would we ever need to look anywhere but straight ahead?

Uh-uh. No way. I can tolerate going short distances with these things, but going that far with them is off-limits.
I somehow doubt whatever magic is powering these things would suddenly fail.
The Labyrinth's machinations may be nonsensical, but at least they're consistent.

We've already seen a Wrath Bloom before, but I didn't post its stats back then.

Wrath Bloom
HP: 1590, STR: 39, TEC: 40, VIT: 32, AGI: 28, LUC: 32
Skills:
  • Discharge: Uses the head. Deals 110% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to the party. Has an 80% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Cannibalize: Uses the head. Damages one enemy, and increases the Wrath Bloom's elemental damage by 50% for 4 turns in exchange. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Lilac Vine. 70% chance. Sells for 561 en. 1 needed to make Plant Whip (+118 ATK). 5 needed to make Sky Dress (+39 DEF). 6 Meteoric Spikes and 2 Lilac Vines needed to make Arquebus (+107 ATK). 3 Lilac Vines and 3 Ancient Beaks needed to make War Bow (+108 ATK).
    "Thorny vine with sky-colored leaves. Strong enough to be used for animal taming."
  • Conditional: Frozen Petal (Kill with Ice damage). 80% chance. Sells for 1035 en. 1 needed to make Brio Wrist (+7 VIT).
    "Blue petal of a Wrath Bloom that devoured many. Frozen instantly, its life energy remains."
Damage resistances:
150% 50% 100% 150% 100% 50%
Disable resistances:
100% 50% 100% 100% 100% 150% 50%
100% 100% 50%
100% 100% 100%

An electrically charged plant creature that has grown large on devoured adventurers.

Wrath Blooms are one-trick ponies that really only become dangerous if they get to use Cannibalize before you can kill them. Rafflesias at least had a (then-dangerous) poison in combination with their party-target nuke.

Also I've been following some weird consistency with regards to enemy images up until now--I've been using lovely game crops for normal enemies, and switched to using renders for FOEs/bosses a few months ago. I kept using the crops because some of the random encounter models have really bad deformations in the 3DS model viewer I'm using. That changes from here on out--I'm gonna use renders whenever I can, with reduced size--that is to say, for any enemy that doesn't deform badly in the model viewer.

Stay where you are!

Yeah... Great paralysis... Thanks, Nadia...

Stardust is my go-to nuker, but she can only do so much when she's using a level 1 skill against a 100% resistance. Blech.

It's not often you see Link Order hurt more than its activator.

It's even less often you see a Sabre dealing the most damage of any action in a turn.

Is there any particular reason you carefully trimmed petals off that flower, Ranger? That seems...unlike you.
Secret plans.
At least lemme take one of the frozen ones for that quest.

At this point, I remembered that Stardust got a level up earlier, and I put another point into Formula Mastery for +1% extra bonus damage. Exciting.

Aha! That's what the screeching earlier was. I was positive I wasn't imagining it!

Enraged Raptors are the other primary gimmick of 19F. They start at either the north or south ends of the map, with a certain spawn point for each one, and then they move several tiles in one direction for every step we take. This one you see right now is very easy to evade, but the others later on aren't quite as easy.

Notice how I left that previous area by taking this platform to the left, and am now going forward on it--finding ways to travel different directions with the same platform isn't just a gimmick for this floor, it'll reappear in the last part of this stratum, as well as in some postgame sections.

Chop point.

Ugh, I'd give anything for telekinesis right now.
I'm surprised you still put faith in these chests' contents after all the garbage we've gotten from them.

Oh goddammit. Any encounter with a Great Moth in it is annoying, but this one is extra annoying because Cannibalize won't take off much of the Great Moth's HP, and Confusing Dust can leave the party helpless while the Wrath Bloom spams Discharge at us.

Something tells me that flower doesn't care much about arrows.

Let's just nip that one in the...wings, I guess.

Oh, so that's what being shocked feels like.

It's always nice to see something that's not garbage.

Pictured: one of the aforementioned sections where Enraged Raptor puzzles are more complicated. This one zips up a one-tile pathway, meaning that starting down that path at the wrong time can trap you.

I felt it was time to go back to town to rest up and save.

White Hat (+28 DEF) is unlocked by selling 1 Glinting Beak.

Brio Wrist (+7 VIT) is made from 1 Frozen Petal. Ironically, I wouldn't say these are great for Protectors (they don't do a ton of tanking) or Beasts (they want HP more than anything, because of Desperation), but they're pretty good for Combat Medics, since it increases their survivability, and give what would basically be a +3 STR bonus (in terms of the normal damage formula) to Vital Hit.

And since the Frozen Petal was what Academic obsessions needed, Abigail has dialogue for us.

Hee hee... I'm looking forward to bringing them to her... She's so beautiful that you might end up falling for her!
But I don't even know her. How could I trust her to catch me if she asks me to fall?
Ignoring Mr. Scatterbrain over there... Well, uh, hypothetically, I guess...
She's kind, and beautiful, and she gives me black tea and crumpets when I visit, and tells stories, and--she's just a great person! One day, I want to be an amazing lady just like she is... But what if I can't...? I wonder if any of her experiments can make me more pretty? Hrm...
You're treading dangerous territory at that point.
Besides, Abigail, you are perfectly fine as you are now.
Eheheh... The alchemist actually told me the same thing. If I stay as the young lady that I am, she said, then I'll grow up to be a lady more wonderful than anyone else. Hee hee...thanks to you and her, maybe I really do have a chance at becoming someone amazing! But you absolutely have to come meet me again when I grow up to be a proper lady. I'll be waiting for you here!
I don't know if I'll even still be living in this frozen hole after we're done with the Labyrinth--I'll have the clout to go anywhere in the world and earn so much more than I ever could here!
Okay! Let's see--what would be the first step to becoming a fantastic lady like her? Maybe I should drink more milk? A-Ah, I'm sorry! I got sidetracked for so long... *sigh*... I guess I still have a long way to go... I left the reward with Cass, so please accept it! Okay, then! If anything happens, please come help us out again!

Hey, welcome back. I dunno what they were tryin' to make, but did everythin' go awright?
It went as well as any trip into that weird tree can go, honestly.
Yeh've probably only seen alchemists out in the field, but a lot of 'em are perfectly happy just cooped up studyin' and learnin'...
Does that factoid include explorers only registered as Alchemists for technical reasons, like myself? Because I certainly can't stand poring over a giant book for hours on end.
Alchemy's good for a lotta stuff, so some noble houses just pick some alchemists to sponsor, and let 'em go wild experimentin'. As the forest opens up more, and they get rarer stuff to work with, they can make all kinds of gadgets to make life easier. Some kinda glowin' rock, maybe, or a cup that lets yeh talk to far-off people...? Hell, I'd want a box that washed my dishes for me! I dunno if I could get used to that kinda easy livin', though! Haw haw haw!

The EO world already has electricity, I don't see how any of the technology Cass mentioned could be that far off.

Anyway, yer quest is complete. Here's the reward, so take care of it, awright? See yeh next time!

Decent rewards all around.

I replace Realga's Pointy Hat with the Brio Wrist for the reasons I mentioned above.

Hazy Arrow now deals 538% damage.

I walked into FOEbucks to see what recipes I could make, and Regina had something to say as soon as we entered.

You remember I asked how I could make the customers feel more comfortable here?
And we told you to smile more, I'm pretty sure.
I tried following your advice, and being a little friendlier with them...and I'm pretty sure a lot of them are coming back. I used to think I had no reason at all to talk to the customers...
But whenever they eat my food, they smile, and tell me how good the cooking is. It's not that big...but it makes me happy to hear.
...It kind of reminds me of the first time I actually tried cooking.
The first person to tell me that I was a good cook was my Grandpa... It was a pretty simple dish, and I didn't make it that well, but Grandpa was still overjoyed to have it...
...Yeah, I can picture that.
I started cooking because I liked seeing people enjoy the food I made.
Um, I...
What? Is something wrong? Did Ranger say something?
W-Well... it's nothing. Nevermind! That's all I had to say... Sorry if I took up too much of your time.
...Huh? What?

And the scene just ends there.

Let's get cooking.

Forest Fried Rice restores 5% of someone's maximum TP when they are inflicted with an ailment or bind. If a single action inflicts multiple disables, the amount restored is not increased. An absolutely trash effect with basically no use.

Scorpion Green Pasta increases the chance of escaping from a battle by 10%. This is a completely negligible effect unless you are consistently running away from battles, which is a really awful thing that you should stop doing, hypothetical escaping strawman.

Honey German Potato increases all party members' AGI by 10. That's a pretty big damage boost for Survivalists and Gunners, and could put some classes on the cusp of outspeeding certain enemies beyond the threshold otherwise.

Bleh... Why are we going in here at night, again?
Hopefully those moths'll be busy doing other things this late instead of looking for explorers to eviscerate. C'mon, let's get going.

Nope.

Goodbye!

Ever consider that walking around while we're tired is a bad idea...?
No, but I now know to not let someone who's obviously tired do navigation!
Why did we agree on that, again?

Wuh-oh.

Pbbbbbttttt...

That was, quite possibly, the worst flute playing I've ever heard.
Whaddya want from me? I should be in bed by now...

I'm not taking my chances with trying to run from the Enraged Raptor--that thing could've easily killed everyone in the span of two turns or so.

This platform, thankfully, can be ridden like this to bypass the Raptor puzzle over there.

In fact, we have to ride it like that, since platforms just act like solid tiles if you walk onto them from a direction where they're blocked from moving.

Thank the gods, the stairs...

My word... I don't think I've ever seen a vista as gorgeous as this.
Exploring the Labyrinth's worth it for places like this, I feel.
Yeah, it's really pretty... Hey, I think I'm just gonna go close my eyes over there for a sec...
Realga, can you please just wait until--
Zzzzz...
...I should ask her how to fall asleep that quickly.
Is that a giant bird over there?
You three go look, I'll try to figure out how to get Realga back to town.

Yyyes? I still have no clue what that actually means.
SYSTEM: The man who speaks to you now is one of the winged ones... But he seems different from the others. He is well-dressed and has a noble bearing about him. The man glares at you for an achingly long time, then speaks in harsh tones.
We of the sky have waited long to hear those words of the ancient pact. But words are not enough. If you wish to gain entry to the path to the heavens... Bring the Ancient Periapt. Without it, we do not recognize you as the bearer of the ancient pact.
SYSTEM: The chief of the winged ones crosses his arms and blocks your path forward.
We will be back tomorrow with the Periapt--you have our word.
It's just one thing after another with the Labyrinth, isn't it?
SYSTEM: It seems you must return to the Duke's Palace to inquire after this Ancient Periapt.

You want any help carrying sleepyhead over there, Stardust?
You seem like you're straining yourself.
No, Realga's thankfully...light enough that I can get her back to the inn...from the Labyrinth entrance. Just use the Ariadne Thread already...

That's more effort than I'd be willing to put in for someone if they just conked out in the middle of the Labyrinth.

Money money money!

I trade some recycled trash for a level 9 Order Mastery for Rheine, since that was the only thing on Grimoire Trade I was kind of interested in.

Oh, right, FOEbucks dialogue.

And that cook is one handsome girl! I'm glad she's getting the place on its feet. When you have a beautiful girl as the store's face, it's bound to succeed. Just look at me! Bahaha!

And now, normal 20F dialogue.

Once Realga's back in her room...sure...
I'll help.
...Your ability to just appear from nowhere, Ranger...is uncanny...
And that's that. Thanks! I used to be able to handle all this like it was nothing. These days, everything's so heavy...
Why not just build a Byeah that can move things for you?
Hm? I shouldn't push myself so hard? Oh, loves! Aren't you sweet. Thank you. These are my daughter's old clothes... I was thinking about donating them to the church, over in the residential area. There's plenty of poor children in Lagaard. It may be a small city, but that's exactly why we need to help each other. The same goes for you. There are so many explorers out there... If there are others that need help, you need to help them. If you help others, all those good deeds will come back to you in the end!

You could reasonably interpret this as a gentle reminder to the player to do quests, since quests are needed not just to do certain postgame quests, but you actually need to do a certain quest later on to do any of the postgame at all.

She came to the shop to commission some cooking utensils from my dad the other day... Sh-She was...really handsome! I mean, she was very pretty and handsome!
I'd be hard-pressed to disagree.
She's so pretty, and she's such an amazing cook. I wish I could be like her...

Normal dialogue time.

Oh, did you know the delicatessen is having a huge sale today? Um, if you head out and to the left, there should be a tall building close by. Look across the street, and you'll see the deli. ...Then again, you're all explorers, so you probably just eat all your meals from the inn, huh...?
A mixture of Hanna's cooking and FOEbucks, yes.
But the deli's food is so good. Oh, the best one is the ground beef and potatoes mixed together and fried...! I know, I could go get you some! They're really good, I promise. You just have to try one!
Maybe later, we've got other stuff we need to do now. Thanks for the offer, though.

But I think you've exceeded even my expectations. You really are...amazing.

Very insightful.

Normal dialogue.

Negotiations with the winged ones...? Sounds like it might be difficult.
They're sentient beings who appear to follow at least some of our basic customs--negotiations will be but a matter of time.
It takes so much for even humans to come to an understanding, let alone a whole other race with completely different values. And you are the ones that'll have to figure this out... I could learn a thing or two from your positive attitude.

They're sayin' stuff like the cook's changed her attitude, and the place feels a lot more homey now...
That's pretty much what Regina told us, yep.
...Hey, tell her if she steals any of my regulars, then it's war! Awright!?
No, not "awright."

Normal dialogue.

Oi, yeh lot! Is it true? Yeh're cooperating with those bird-people? Yeh're not accepting jobs from them, are yeh?
All we've done is recite some weird old saying at them and then get blocked from going further.
...Oh, so that's it. Guess I got worked up for nothing there. But if they start giving yeh jobs, what's gonna happen to my business? They better post a quest so I can get my fee!
I doubt the winged ones have currency that could easily be exchanged for ental or any other reasonable reward, Cass.
If they were lookin' to hire yeh out from under me, I woulda gave 'em a piece of my mind, but looks like there's no need. 'Course, they're always welcome to hire yeh... as long as I get a share of the profits. Eh?
No. Not happening.
Wh--Whaddaya mean, no share for me!? Yeh dirty little...! After all I've done for yeh! Oi! Are yeh even listening to me! Arrgh, yeh bunch of ingrates...!

Bar patrons.

Exhausted Tramonte:

U-Urrghh...so...sleepy... I-I can't...wake...up...
Hey, look, the splitting image of a certain someone. Cass, you got any coffee?
Whoa!? H-H-Hot!!! Wh-What are you doing!? I'm just trying to catch a nap...! ...Huh? Oh, this feels familiar... Is it Lumen again...?
Hiya.
Whoa, long time no see! I'm kind of embarrassed, just sleeping here when my old friends are here to visit me. I just got back from fighting in the forest. Look at this Dormant Seed. I got it by putting Night Flower to sleep and defeating it before it wakes up... But instead of getting the flower drowsy, it put me to sleep! So now, even after I got back, I keep...dozing...off... But I gotta bring this item to Lilly, so I can't fall... fall asleep... *snore*
There's a moral in this... Somewhere.

Girl in a white sundress:

*sigh*... What is this strange feeling...? I've been frequenting FOEbucks only because their food is so delicious...but recently, the place feels different. I can't put my finger on why...but it's just not scary anymore. In fact, it's...really relaxing. Comfortable, even.
Regina did mention that people were coming back to the restaurant frequently now.
So I decided to tell the chef that the food was delicious, and then...and then...! Th-That adorable face... It's just not fair!
I'd crack a joke about those weird Etrian comics Jackie reads, but I'm drawing a blank aside from something about flowers.

Hmhm, I'm rather jealous... Hm? Of who, you ask? ...Well. Who do you think?

Normal dialogue.

Old habits die hard.
...More importantly, I've heard you are continuing through the Labyrinth in order to negotiate with the winged ones... I might like to meet with them myself... As guildmaster, however, I can't simply abandon my post to explore the Labyrinth. I suppose for now, I'll just have to be satisfied with the stories you bring back. ...So I certainly hope that you remember to prioritize your own safe return, when you're out exploring. Hm?
But of course.
Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

Dubois starts talking as soon as we enter.

W-wait for me... Hah... I sprinted here after getting Realga back to her bed... Did I miss anything?
Nah. Anyway, Dubois...
...So, you have encountered what seems to be the chief of the winged ones...? Perhaps he may know of this “path to the heavens" that Lady Gradriel mentioned. But it seems they are the ones that are blocking your path? ...I see. They require some sort of token in order to grant you access to the forest ahead. Wait here, and I shall call for Lady Gradriel.

That was our express goal ever since we started, but we appreciate the thanks nonetheless.
Minister Dubois tells me the winged ones have barred your path forward. Is this so?
Th-they mentioned something about an "Ancient Periapt."
The chief apparently requires it as proof of the legitimacy of our claim that humanity shall "return to the heavens."
This Ancient Periapt they refer to... I believe I might know what they desire. I wish to entrust you with this item... However, accepting it will mean continuing forward to the castle in the heavens. I will not force such a dangerous path upon you.
Didn't Rheine just say finding the castle was our goal from the start?
If you truly believe that you are ready to take on this task... Then please, do this favor for me.

Here it is: the final mission.

You don't even have to ask if we'll accept that stuff by this point.
Thank you... I am sorry that I must burden you with the fate of High Lagaard. I must go inform the Duke's daughter of this good news.

I had faith that you would help this land.
We, honestly, have little choice otherwise.
You will need this, then. It is a pendant with an engraving of an ancient sword, which has been passed down in my family through generations. Perhaps this is what the winged ones mean by the proof of the ancient pact.

I am relying on you. The floating castle and the Grail of Kings... For High Lagaard's sake, you must find them!
Count on it.

Dubois's FOEbucks dialogue.

...Hrm. I suppose it's nearly time. Hm? Nearly time for what? Oho ho ho, no need to worry! This is nothing that concerns you... At least, for now. I'll be counting on you to continue helping Regina.

Normal dialogue.

Ah, Guild Lumen. I hear your exploration of the floating islands is going well. Good work. But I must ask...these, ah, winged ones... They do not pose any threat to you, do they?
Aside from blocking us twice, they've seemed fine.
If they are the ones that take people away to the floating castle, as the legends said...as Minister, I cannot allow them to go on. Thus, I would like you find out if they have any relation to the old stories. We would like to avoid needless conflict, if possible. It would be best if you could convey this to the winged ones.
I will try to bring this up when we next converse with the chief.
This situation rests on your shoulders. I will be counting on you.

Quests time!

Settling a bet:

Yeah, that one's from me. It's somethin' I want to ask yeh, specifically. Bah. How do I start...? Well, look, first off. Everyone who comes in through that door is an important customer to me. Yeah? I ain't always nice, but it's...gah, what am I sayin'...?
Take your time, Cass. It's "only" 3 AM.
It's just how I am, not personal or serious. And I'm proud of the Stickleback. But, well, I'm only human. I try to be fair to everyone, but sometimes that just doesn't work out. Y'know? ...A long time ago, there was an adventurer that I really didn't treat right. Heh, real piece of work... Kinda like yeh folks. Just showed up one day outta nowhere, but really made an impact. Kept visiting, too! Always had the best stories, and liked a drink or two. The kid kinda grew on me. Kept sayin' all this stuff like, “I'll climb Yggdrasil and prove to you once and for all that the flying castle exists!"
One must admire people like that, who have bravado in plentiful amounts.
...Back then, nobody even knew there was a labyrinth in that tree. Even I laughed at the thought of it. One day, though...the kid told me about a hidden entrance into the tree. Only told me, nobody else. 'Course, I didn't believe it. Figured the kid just saw a hole in the bark and got all worked up. Just a tall tale. ...So I just laughed. Said to enjoy the trip, and come back when yeh think of somethin' crazier. ...Never saw the kid again.
That's a hell of a last thing to say to someone, Cass. Go on, though.
But we made a bet, y'see! I said if the story was true, then I'd owe the kid a gold coin! The kid must've been talkin' about the forest...and got in, somewhere. Pretty tough kid, believe me. Might even have got to the flying castle.
If they somehow got past all of the larger monsters we've faced, and the winged ones, all on their own... I'd call them a legend by that point.
...Still... I guess with all the dangers in the Labyrinth, it'd be pretty stupid to think the kid's still alive... But...if I don't keep my promise, then I dunno if...I can move on from it. Lumen... I'm askin' yeh. Can yeh take this gold coin, and just...yeh know. If yeh find the kid, hand it over?

...Sorry. I know it ain't much of a request. No leads, no information, no location or anythin'...
As much as I like being down on you, Cass, you've done a lot for us. We'll make sure your promise is kept!
Heh heh...man, for a guy who handles everyone else's requests, yeh'd think I could manage a better one myself... But I can't ask anyone else for this. So... If yeh could even just try, I'd be grateful.

We can't finish this quest until 21F.

Call of the gunner:

Ahhh, how're things? I've got an unusual client for yeh this time... Guild by the name of Esbat.
...I was not expecting them to show their faces after word of their actions spread.
Old member of theirs asked especially for yer help.

After hearing how you directly engaged some of us in a fight to the death, I'd thought so, too.
But now, I have a favor to ask... And it's clear to me that only you can fulfill it. I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate it if you helped me with this...
...Fine. A request's a request. Go on.
...The day after you defeated the ice princess... Ms. Artelinde disappeared into the Labyrinth. To you, the ice princess may have been merely another monster...but to us, she was someone irreplaceable. We swore to protect her...and I believe breaking that promise has deeply distressed Ms. Artelinde. A guard said he may have seen her around the 3rd floor, to the southwest--near the door that does not open. ...You may be the only one left who can save our guild.
Any reason why Artelinde wouldn't just listen to her guardian instead of some jerks she tried to kill?
Tch... That's...already been tried... Even my words did nothing to sway her, and now I cannot help the situation... But I thought perhaps you might...stand a better chance than I. I'm sorry, but please... I ask that you convince Lady Artelinde.

The first Stratum should be child's play for yeh lot. Yeh'll help the poor man out, won't yeh?
Gaaaaah! Fine, we'll do it.

I'm thankful I suffered through doing the 1st Stratum secret area as early as I did--Artelinde's at the very end of it, just before the big empty area in the 1F secret area.

An ethical dilemma:

Oh, that request. It's from that lass at Sitoth Trading. Ain't sure what it is exactly, but she said that there's something she wants yeh lot to take care of. Something didn't seem right about her, so hurry up and head over! Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seemed like the little missy had somethin' on her mind. Well, g'luck!

I'd go do what Cass said, but this is a good stopping point for now.

Next time: the stuff that we just heard about. Winged intrigue! Abigail being concerned about something! Doing a request for someone that tried to kill us! All very exciting things.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that they're doing more with the people who guarded the Ice Princess.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh right, I forgot I held a vote for the inn scene order. Oops. :doh:

I'm counting this as a half vote for Chloe, because I need something to break the tie. The results are:

Bertrand: 5
Flavio: 1
Chloe: 1/2
Arianna: RIP

Arianna places last once again.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Dr. Fetus posted:

Bertrand: 5
Flavio: 1
Chloe: 1/2
Arianna: RIP

My one vote earned me second place.

You see this? This is how democracy works.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 40: I Lust for FOE Death

We begin today by starting An ethical dilemma.

Yep. What's bothering you?
Um... I'm not sure if I should be coming to you for something like this... But you're climbing Yggdrasil, and you're trying so hard to find the flying castle... And you're always fighting the monsters, or other animals like them in the forest...
We've encountered all kinds of strange and borderline-nonsensical beings in the Labyrinth, yes.
I... I really can't ask you to do this... I'm really sorry for the trouble! Don't worry about that request!
Abigail, come on, what's bothering you? We'll take care of it.
Th-Thank you very much! You see, one of our adventurer customers came back and told me something... They defeated a monster in the northwest area of the 19th floor, but it seems like it had a baby... What's going to happen to the baby without its mother? I can't stop thinking about the poor thing... Since you fight monsters every day, maybe it's not the right thing to ask you for, but... Could you please do something to help the baby before something happens to it? I-I've prepared some feed that I think the monsters could eat!

I'm begging you! Please...save the poor little baby! Thank you so much!

I'd normally be hesitant to help out monsters, but it's just a baby.
Why don't we go take care of it now? I somehow doubt an infant will survive long without its parent...
You three go take care of that, I'm going to get some sleep...

SYSTEM: There is a small indentation in the floor, and you see a monstrous chick sitting inside, covered in fluff. The chick curls up without the slightest peep. It just watches you stubbornly, staring with deep, black eyes. Do you remember the quest that you
accepted from Abigail? She wanted you to find and feed the juvenile monster whose parents were slain. No threatening monsters appear to be in the vicinity... This must be the baby monster described in the request. You examine the chick anew. Upon second glance, it looks much thinner than normal, and its movement is languid and sluggish.
Oh...
I'm trying my hardest to remember that it's still a monster... Nope, can't do it.
A monster that small hitting me would probably just feel like a ball of lint.
SYSTEM: When it comes down to it, though, this chick may grow up to be a monster that will fight you like all others... If you are still unfazed, you can feed this baby monster with the special feed you received from Abigail.
Alright, where'd I put that feed... There we go. Eat up.
SYSTEM: When you extend your hand with the feed, the chick shows no sign of suspicion--it just digs in, eating the offered meal. It is a monster, and will thus come into conflict with explorers. In other words, you are helping, and indeed saving an enemy. However, your graciousness in providing for even your foes in their times of need is truly noble and praiseworthy. Abigail's pure heart, moved by the idle account of a passing adventurer, is also deserving of recognition. The chick finishes its meal. It seems to have regained some of its energy. You let out a sigh, relieved that it has recovered. To your surprise, it spreads its stubby wings and takes off.
That's one strong baby.
SYSTEM: Wide-eyed, you note the near-instant convalescence. If it can fly away thusly, then you need no longer worry for it. You have completed your request! You should go back to report to Abigail and tell her what happened.

We don't actually have to talk to Abigail first, we can just turn the quest in now.

Oh, welcome back. I heard the story...some kinda monster baby, eh? Yeh lot sure about what yeh did?
Not entirely, but it was hard to refuse something that small and that helpless.
The forest is already packed fulla monsters, yeh know. If that thing grows up to be big and violent, then that'll be all thanks to yeh.
It will be but one of the many monsters that inhabit the Labyrinth.
...Heh, but that was what yeh settled on, eh? Then I s'pose that's fine as it is. I mean, yeh did a good job fulfillin' that little missy's request. Oh, almost forgot. This is yer reward. Good work! Careful yeh don't get eaten up by some monster that yeh saved in the first place! Haw haw haw haw!

Let's go tell Abigail what we did.

...U-Um, what happened to the little monster?
We gave it the feed. It actually just got up and flew away right then and there--kinda surprised me a little.
...So the baby's okay now, then! Oh, I'm so relieved... I'm glad I asked for your help! Thank you so much!

Running into all these Great Moths has given me an incentive to level up Refresh some more. Level 4 just reduces the TP cost from 4 to 2.

Ranger has all the attack skills I want from him now, so I start leveling up Force Mastery. It unlocked Vital and Mind Shut, neither of which I care about, and passively increases Ranger's Force gain by 3%.

Morale Boost now increases buffed party members' Force gain by 10% while Rheine is alive.

I remembered that I collected the previous ad campaign's earnings without setting up a new one; let's fix that.

The Gourmet King is in the Slums right now, so I just toss in the dish I have that costs the most.

There's a festival going on in Uptown, too.

Some random town development, mostly because the West Ward had only one small population group in it.

And that's the last of the campaigns for now.

And here's the stuff I got from offloading our current materials.

Scorpion Maul (+106 ATK, +3 VIT, +3 AGI) is unlocked by selling 3 Meteoric Spikes. I buy one for Realga since I prefer the VIT bonus to the raw HP the Madness Staff gives her, and it also gives a bonus to Vital Hit.

Heaven Bow (+101 ATK) is unlocked by selling 3 Arc Branches and 2 Meteoric Spikes.

Gale Whip (+112 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Razor Edge.

Oomiyari (+109 ATK) is unlocked by selling 5 Scent Woods and 2 Razor Edges.

Sky Dress (+39 DEF) is unlocked by selling 5 Lilac Vines.

Wind Armguard (+22 DEF, +2 AGI, can be equipped by Beasts) is unlocked by selling 3 Razor Edges. It's a small yet decent damage boost for Survivalists and Gunners.

Oh my gods, I'm never going to live this down...
The mean, sarcastic money-grubber conking out in the middle of the Labyrinth, forcing her best friend to carry her back to town and back to bed. Heheh, you'd better believe I'll never let you live that down!
That was a pretty nice spot for a nap, though.
It, ah... I suppose it was good exercise?
If you all will finish mulling on the events of the past, we have the final floor of the stratum to explore.

Or, we could go looking for Artelinde like that old gunner asked.

SYSTEM: The guard pauses, then goes on...
Saw a little girl walkin' around alone not too long ago. Hope she's all right... I called out, but she just ignored me
and kept right on marchin' past that locked door.
SYSTEM: He looks worriedly at the locked doors.
There's no tellin' what's behind 'em. We're only on the first stratum, but nobody's fully explored past them doors... Y'all make sure to take good care now if y'go lookin' for her.
SYSTEM: Having said his piece, the guard moves back toward his position. It's up to you whether to resume your journey, or to follow the guard's direction and go beyond the doors.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's Artelinde.
SYSTEM: It is the lady you've been seeking... Surprised to see you, she addresses your party.

SYSTEM: You falter slightly at the intensity and coldness of her stare... You pause, unsure of how to delicately answer her question...
Sir Wilhelm sent us. He's quite worried about you.
I see. I thought this might happen, but... I still need some time alone. Tell that old worrywart not to panic just yet.
You're not planning to do anything...irreversible, right? Nothing drastic?
Drastic?
SYSTEM: She frowns at the wording, baffled. After a moment, however, it dawns on her, and she barks out a grim laugh.
Don't worry about that. I've got no plans for anything that depressing. Heh. That old stiff must have been worried sick if he sent you after me...
Well, yeah. We wouldn't have gone searching for a murderer otherwise.
Fine. I get it. I'll go back to town to meet up with that old fogey.
SYSTEM: She glances back to the path leading further inside, and for the briefest of moments, smiles quietly to herself.
I guess...there's no point looking for...
SYSTEM: She stops, looking uncomfortable; however, when you inquire further, she just waves it off dismissively.
Farewell, Lumen. Thanks for coming all the way out here to help a couple of people like us... Good...bye. See you later!
SYSTEM: Artelinde smiles brightly, as if nothing had happened, and starts back on the path towards High Lagaard. The quest has been completed. You can choose to go back to the bar and report what happened. But, if you suspect there may be something more beyond the road she was gazing at, then you can choose to go investigate.

Like the game says, we could either go back to the Stickleback and turn the quest in early, or we could try and find what Artelinde's looking for.

I'm sure you can guess what I do from here.

There's something in the center!
SYSTEM: And indeed, you find something gleaming further within the brush!

SYSTEM: Could this be what Artelinde was searching for so ardently? As you ponder the hair ornament, monsters suddenly appear to ambush you! Noticing them at the last moment, you draw your weapons and face the beasts!

These are literally just a Crawler and Rafflesia with increased stats--even their skills are exactly the same.

Too easy.

SYSTEM: You look around warily, but you seem to be safe from further ambushes for now. You are still gripping the silver hair ornament tightly. As you note with relief that you didn't break or damage it, you suddenly feel some terrible threat imminent!

SYSTEM: For now, you see no enemy, but you don't doubt that whatever threatens you would eat you whole!
I-I get the feeling... We're in some deadly monster's nest...
A-all in favor of not becoming monster chow, bolt for the door!
SYSTEM: You have already completed your objective, and must now simply return the hair ornament to Artelinde! Though you don't know where she is to be found... Perhaps you should head to the bar for now.

Welcome back! Looks like yeh found her safe and sound? She's right here. Seems like there was somethin' she wanted to say to yeh lot. I'll give yeh some privacy.

I have to thank you. When I got back, the old man came right out to greet me... He keeps surprising me.
We found this thing in the big room. It kinda looks like a piece of a Byeah.
Wait...huh...? Hold on, let me take a look at that hairpin!
SYSTEM: Artelinde stole your Silver Hairpin!
It really is...! This is the hairpin my sister used to wear...
Oh. Ohhhhhh.
Hey... Lumen... You didn't find this for me, did you?
Finding things is what we do.
...What? That makes no sense.
Lumen... Thanks. I didn't think you'd manage to find things other people are looking for, too... This was...my sister's hairpin. Before she became the ice princess. She lost it a long time ago, back when we were first exploring around that area, and I was looking for it... Finally... it's been found... Rrrgh! I can't make any sense of this anymore... I need some rest before I try to think about this properly. Anyways, thanks.

I suppose we can.
Here, this is yer reward. Take it.

We get more Holy Gifts and EXP for finding the Silver Hairpin.

Hazy Arrow now deals 549% damage.

There, we're all rested up now. Think you can avoid falling asleep again, Realga?
If you don't shut up about that, you're gonna be real sorry.

SYSTEM: The winged one repeats his familiar request.
We have, indeed.
SYSTEM: When you produce the Ancient Periapt given to you by the Duke's daughter, he seems surprised.
By the will of the Star...! They may indeed be the ones we have waited for...!
SYSTEM: The clearly excited winged one gives you an appraising look.
It is as the pact said. Tell me, earthbound ones... What are your names?
Just call us Guild Lumen.
Lumen... I shall remember that name well. I am called Canaan. I am chief of my people, children of Father Sun and Mother Moon, the ones bound to the will of the Star. You bear both the words of the pact and the pariapt. You may cross the threshold of the sky.
Before we traverse this floor, might you avail us with some information regarding your people?
We obey our fates and live within the forest. We do not mingle with earthbound ones and live by the Star's will. Hear me, Lumen. Though you are earthbound ones, you bear the proper credentials. We are bound by our teachings to direct you to the path leading into the heavens. But think carefully... Do you truly have the resolve to throw yourself on the sky's mercy?
Would we be here in the first place if we didn't?
SYSTEM: Canaan points to the forest behind him, speaking slowly.
It is true. The path to the throne of the Star lies beyond here. But it is also a gateway to death. A winged beast perches before that sacred gate. We call it the Queen of the Skies, after our dread of the demon bird who hunts us as prey.
There's something vaguely cannibalistic about a bird person preying on other bird people.
If you would head to the castle in the heavens, you must face the Queen of the Skies...
SYSTEM: Canaan continues, as if testing your resolve.
Though I doubt that those who bear the pact would back down out of fear.
SYSTEM: With that, Canaan spreads his formidable black wings.
Farewell, Lumen. We shall meet again once you've reached the path to the heavens.

Well, at least the winged ones do not seem actively hostile.

Great, the yellow birds are back.

Oh gods!
I-it's preparing to charge!
Yawn. Just step to the left.

Why are you intentionally getting in this thing's sights, Realga?!

Because these things are dumber than literal sacks of rocks.

Physical Guards reduce all Cut/Stab/Bash damage to the holder by 10%. They're pretty trash, yeah.

More importantly, though...

Is fighting this thing really a good idea?
We've got tons of Blast Grenades and Mr. Vaporizer over there.
How much would a bird made out of gold be worth?

Standard setup.

Bah.

That's what you can look forward to if you don't shut up about the sleeping, Nadia.
I haven't even brought it up for a few hours!

Realga's on Blast Grenade duty.

I'LL MELT THIS GOLD BIRD DOWN AND SELL IT!
Finally, something I can agree with.

Both Stardust and Ranger's damage is slightly hampered by the Luminous Bird having 75% resistance to all elemental damage.

Boom!

There we go, much better.

A monster that can withstand bundled matches... Hm. A formidable foe!

Delayed Chase's second hit actually ends up outdamaging Fire Wave due to the fact that it's Cut+Elem composite damage.

Between the Luminous Bird being blinded and Nadia turning on Illusion Step, she has a practically guaranteed setup for Hazy Arrow...if the bird targets her.

I'm wide open. Totally not anticipating you hitting me.

Ohoho, big mistake!

Even when his damage is cut by 25%, Ranger still hurts like a truck.

Ranger's got enough TP left that I feel he can justify using Extend.

I can finally show off Hazy Arrow now.

Can't dodge me if you can't see me!

Granted, Nadia is hitting a 150% Stab resistance, but still, drat.

YOU THOUGHT THE SUFFERING WOULD END, DIDN'TCHA?

Extend resets Transform's duration back to 3 turns, essentially giving you two extra turns at no extra Force cost.

Pow pow!

A tempestuous death.

That is quite the regal-looking avian...

Cockatrice
HP: 1729, STR: 41, TEC: 31, VIT: 32, AGI: 27, LUC: 35
Skills:
  • Petrifying Stare: Uses the head. Attempts to petrify one party member, with an 80% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Ancient Beak. 70% chance. Sells for 572 en. 1 needed to make Stone Ring (Immunity to petrification). 5 needed to make Hayakaze (+122 ATK). 7 needed to make Doujigiri (+138 ATK). 7 Glinting Beaks and 2 Ancient Beaks needed to make Rostrum Shield (+40 DEF). 3 Lilac Vines and 3 Ancient Beaks needed to make War Bow (+108 ATK).
    "A Cockatrice beak that can shatter even rocks. The beak is strong, though it can't petrify."
  • Ingredient: Cockatrice Leg. 3-5 given. 5 needed to make Strawberry-Jam Loin Steak (Western Food 4; +10 VIT). 3 needed to make Pepper Cockatrice (Chinese Food 4; +80% Curse resistance). 4 needed to make Stone Bird Nikujaga (Japanese Food 4; doubles the chance of additional effects on Grimoires).
    "Muscular meat that supports much."
Damage resistances:
100% 50% 100% 100% 100% 150%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 50% 50% 50% 100% 100%
0% 50% 0%
50% 100% 100%

A large bird-like creature that is known to petrify its foes.

Cockatrices aren't that big a threat on their own, but can be real nuisances in fights with other monsters, since petrification is basically instant death. Carrying around some Therica Bs from here until the end of the stratum is a necessity, since while Realga can treat petrification with Refresh, we're kind of screwed if she gets petrified and I have no Therica Bs.

I always thought Stardust would have statues OF her, not MADE OF her...

You think 75% of the revival fee is fair for petrifi--

Never let your guard down...

Maybe its thigh meat is really tough.

Deuuuuugh. Reading about the feeling of being petrified in a story is one thing, living it is another...
Mind if I ask what it feels like?
It's kind of like... You can't feel your heart beating, you can't move any part of yourself at all, not even your eyes...but you're still conscious of everything going on around you.

Well, this is a pretty crappy situation. The idea behind this puzzle is you have to evade the Luminous Bird while also going down the one-tile-wide pathway such that the Enraged Raptor won't catch you.

And I've basically sandwiched myself here.

Back to town, then.

Gold Claw (+128 ATK, +3 AGI) is unlocked by selling 3 Gold Claws.

Stone Ring (Immunity to petrification) is unlocked by selling 1 Ancient Beak. Petrification shows up a grand total of maybe 3 times on normal enemies, and no bosses besides Basilisk (all the way back on Ginnungagap B1F, remember) make use of it.

I normally have a pretty large patience for FOE puzzles...

But I just opted to kill the Luminous Bird this time.

I will never say no to more Return Flutes.

Can we just kill that frog instead of playing its stupid games?
Y'know, I don't see why not.

I'm sure I can find some application of frog cheeks for effects...

Great Frog
HP: 10979, STR: 45, TEC: 36, VIT: 38, AGI: 34, LUC: 35
Skills:
  • Jump: Uses the legs. Deals 150% melee STR-based Bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Frog Skin. 100% chance. Sells for 1690 en. 1 needed to make Crapaud Dress (+38 DEF, +10% Bash resistance).
    "Frog's cheek skin said to stretch 10 times its size. Good for making impact-resistant armor."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 150% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 25% 25% 25% 100% 25%
10% 10% 10%
50% 50% 50%

Their leap attacks tend to ward off attackers, but if not, these frogs will cry out for aid.

Great Frogs can only do two things: summon helpers on the first turn (we'll see them very soon), and Jump. After they've summoned the helpers, they will literally never do anything but Jump. Do you have Front Guard? Great, this thing's easy to deal with. If not? Your frontliners can probably survive the primary hit, but make sure you keep up on healing their HP in that case.

150% Bash resistance means that Realga gets some bonus damage on the frog.

Keep an eye on Ranger's Force gauge throughout the fight, incidentally.

Are those eyes made of stone or something?

Okay, now the frog's just trying to annoy me.

Delusion Frog
HP: 1680, STR: 31, TEC: 27, VIT: 28, AGI: 23, LUC: 33
Skills:
  • Hex: Uses the head. Deals 90% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target. Attempts to inflict curse on the target, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 150% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 0% 100%
10% 10% 50%
50% 50% 50%

Adventurers who are struck by his tongue go mad, behaving as though possessed.

The Delusion Frogs are bigger threats than the Great Frog, since there's four of them, and both the damage and curse inflictions stack up after a little bit. I made a mistake by having Stardust cast Compression, since she and Rheine could've just nuked down the Delusion Frogs in the span of 2 or so turns.

Summer Rain's actually not that optimal of a choice for dealing with the Delusion Frogs, since it's limited to 16 hits at a max of 4 per target.

I've never understood why frogs in EO always have a weakness to Bash.

There's too many of 'em!

Well, she got all of the Delusion Frogs really low, I suppose.

Ouch.

Please tell me that evil laughter's coming from you, Nadia.

At least neither of these two are my primary damage dealers.

I opt for the lazy man's option for purging off the curses and healing up everyone.

A quick checkup on Ranger's Force.

Stardust is still under the effects of Compression, but this should be able to finish off the Delusion Frogs.

My services include curse removal, too... I guess.

I hereby institute a new law banning curses!

Really?!

5 turns, and Ranger has over half his Force back--bear in mind, he's only under the effects of a level 5 Morale Boost and level 1 Force Mastery.

Rrgh!

AAAAGH!

I...don't die that easily...

You can't be serious.

FINALLY!

9 turns, and Ranger now has all his Force back, after starting the fight at 0.

There's not much left of 20F after this room, so I just have Rheine use Proof of Nobility so I can get some TP back.

Better.

I can see why you were irritated upon the sight of the frogs on the last floor, Realga.
Believe me, the red frogs were infinitely worse than that.

...Oh, screw it, we can take one of these things.

Enraged Raptor
HP: 9418, STR: 47, TEC: 39, VIT: 37, AGI: 35, LUC: 40
Skills:
  • Gale Wings: Uses the arms. Deals 110% melee STR-based Cut damage to the party. Attempts to inflict blind on hit targets, with an 80% base chance. Has a 110% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Tearing Claws: Uses the legs. Deals 250% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 80 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Black Feather. 100% chance. Sells for 2500 en. 1 needed to make Feather Choker (+57 DEF, +3 AGI). 1 needed to make Haste Talisman (+7 AGI).
    "Slim, firm black feather. Unless treated carefully, its beauty will soon fade."
Damage resistances:
100% 125% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 50% 50% 50% 25% 50%
10% 10% 10%
50% 25% 50%

A bird of prey that stuns its enemies with large gusts of wind before slashing at them.

I normally wouldn't risk fighting these things since Gale Wings (110% damage) plus 47 STR plus 40 LUC plus 80% blind chance = extreme pain. I'm banking on Nadia getting a paralysis off, otherwise I'm just gonna Return Flute out of here.

Ranger immediately transforms since he really needs the extra HP to not die to Gale Wings.

I really hope this works.

Welp, that was a nice life--

...Alright then. I have never seen an Enraged Raptor open with anything but Gale Wings.

ZIP ZAP!

This should be good.

Not so fast now, huh?

Paralysis is the superior debuff to blind right now, since it not only means the bird has a 50% chance to not act, it also means that any attacks against it don't check for accuracy at all--a really nice thing when you're potentially dealing with blind.

As for why it's superior to blind, it's because the accuracy check bypass works both ways--if I blinded the Enraged Raptor, it'd still be able to hit anyone in our party who's also blinded.

Perfect timing.

Bzzt.

Nadia's damage almost seems piddly, in comparison.

I'm pretty sure we'll kill this thing before Transform's over.

Getting Rheine that Volt Prelude Grimoire was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I don't think electrified bird meat'll be very tasty.

Force Mastery now increases Ranger's Force gain by 5%.

And Morale Boost provides a 13% bonus of the same kind.

I normally wouldn't cut an update in the middle of the floor, but this one's getting a bit long in the tooth. Next time: we finish (most) of 20F.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 41: Yggdrasil's Apex

Well, that just happened.
We must be at the end of the floor--let us press on.

Hm... Maybe Regina could make unbreakable forks and knives out of those nails...

Mad Crawler
HP: 779, STR: 40, TEC: 29, VIT: 31, AGI: 26, LUC: 31
Skills:
  • Crazed Fang: Uses the head. Deals 140% melee STR-based Bash damage to one target, with splash damage. Attempts to inflict fear on hit targets, with a 70% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Dark Claw. 50% chance. Sells for 326 en. 1 needed to make Purple Khakkara (+95 ATK, +4 TEC, +4 VIT). 3 needed to make Black Armor (+60 DEF).
    "The small and toxic claw of a Mad Crawler. Take caution when dealing with its venom."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 150% 100% 100% 100% 50% 0%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

A giant caterpillar whose sharp fangs are no trifling matter.

Mad Crawlers are another enemy I hate. Crazed Fang hurts like hell to begin with and fear really sucks to get hit by as well. Combined with Wind Cutters or, god forbid, Great Moths, they can pretty easily cause a game over or two.

At least their low VIT and low HP means they don't take hits well--that's basically 50% of the thing's HP.

Again?

I don't believe I've mentioned this before, but petrified party members do get one positive effect, weirdly enough: they take half damage from all sources.

Whoops, I burned the nails.

I'm really thankful we stocked up on Thericas before leaving.

Even when turned into a statue, his face is as unreadable as always.

That's quite enough petrification for one day, I feel.

Refresh now targets a row instead of just one party member, but also now costs 20 TP.

This event occurs automatically as soon as we enter this small area.

SYSTEM: The air is thin at this high altitude, but your breathing is surprisingly easy. If you wish, you can rest from your long walk here and spend some time enjoying the breathtaking sight.
Killing all those FOEs really takes a lot out of someone...
Yeah. How about we just sit for a while?
SYSTEM: Thinking this the perfect place to rest, the party takes a seat. You take a long, soothing rest as you enjoy the cool breeze.
The sky is both above and below us... What a glorious view.

"20F, left-center: good view."
The heck are you writing down?
Stuff for secret plans.
It's not much of a secret if you--
SYSTEM: All agree that it was a well-deserved break, but just as you prepare to resume your trek... Suddenly, you feel a piercing gaze directed toward you from the area's center!

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FaintTameBordercollie.webm (No GIF version available)

SYSTEM: Though it is still far away, the sight of it chills you to your core! The monster with the brilliantly-colored wings must be the Queen of the Skies you are tasked with defeating!
So this is the hunter of the winged ones that Sir Canaan referred to...
SYSTEM: You wait, half paralyzed with dread, but the winged monster shows no sign of approaching your party. For that matter, you have no means of getting at it easily either. You decide that your best recourse would be to search for a path leading to where the Queen of the Skies awaits.
Wait. We have to go BACK DOWN to get up to her?!
Seems like it.
AAAAAAAAAGH!

It's as the game says: we have no way to get to Harpuia's platform from here. Just off-screen are some stairs going down; remember all the empty central areas on previous floors? We gotta go through those before we get to Harpuia.

Before that, though, let's map out the small northern area.

This frog's really easy to bait into an empty space. Just walk to this corner, walk forward, walk back, and it'll jump off the edge.

I would've rather had a Unihorn for Harpuia.

Everyone's Force was either empty or broken, so I decided to go back to town before finishing the 4th Stratum.

Feather Choker (+57 DEF, +3 AGI) is unlocked by selling 1 Black Feather. This is the best collar I'll be able to get for Ursa for quite a while.

Crapaud Dress (+38 DEF, +10% Bash resistance) is unlocked by selling 1 Frog Skin.

Haste Talisman (+7 AGI) is unlocked by selling 1 Black Feather. I prefer to have Nadia focus on inflicting ailments, but this would be very nice on Jackie.

Let's get this over with.

SYSTEM: You expect that it must feel quite refreshing to let out a good, solid yell in such a place.

Eh, why not?

SYSTEM: You give into your rising impulse and shout at the top of your lungs! Your voice echoes, as if melting into the blue sky, before silence settles back in. After having to mind every breath while traveling the forest, it is quite liberating to yell in such a carefree manner.

SYSTEM: You may try it once more if you wish, or go back to your investigation.
Yelling that loudly again is as good as jumping off this edge. Back to work, everyone!
SYSTEM: You cannot shake the worry that a monster may have heard your yell and is headed your way even now. You hastily leave the area to avoid any needless battles.

The only FOE in the 19F central area is this Enraged Raptor, who goes down one part of the last pathway.

Night Flower
HP: 446, STR: 34, TEC: 30, VIT: 26, AGI: 30, LUC: 34
Skills:
  • Night Call: Does nothing for one turn. Can be interrupted by Blast Grenades, which will stop the skill and stun the enemy for one turn. Uses the head. Attempts to put the entire party to sleep, with a 120% chance. Has no speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Night Vine. 45% chance. Sells for 316 en. 1 needed to make S Knight Greaves (+19 DEF, +10 TP, +2 AGI). 8 needed to make Thorn Fist (+130 ATK). 4 Glinting Beaks and 2 Night Vines needed to make Shamshir (+124 ATK).
    "A thorny vine of a Night Flower. When treated, it can put others to sleep."
  • Conditional: Dormant Seed (Kill while asleep). 100% chance. Sells for 564 en. 1 needed to make Dark Saker (+116 ATK, +6 LUC).
    "Black seed that seems completely dormant. It's unknown if it can return to normal."
Damage resistances:
150% 100% 100% 150% 50% 50%
Disable resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 50% 100% 100%
100% 100% 0%
100% 100% 50%

A flower that blooms in the moonlight and lulls its victims into an eternal slumber.

Night Flowers are really loving dangerous when paired up with one or more Mad Crawlers. Sleep will turn Crazed Fang into a one-hit kill. Mercifully, just one cast of Inferno Formula or Link Order II (Fire) will kill them.

Getting that conditional is incredibly difficult at the moment, since Nadia only has one point in Sleep Arrow.

Fantastic way to start.

But... I never got to...
Those nails WOULD make good knives...

Roasted, toasted, and burnt to a crisp.

The Take point here is an extra source of Big Strawberries, which I very much appreciate.

These "backtrack" areas really don't take very long.

Great, more of these.

The floating castle's floors are gonna feel like a vacation compared to being near open sky all the time.

Taking the previous platform up and to the fight leads to this glorious treasure.

Halfway there, basically.

See, this one's smart--it put itself in a bunch of small corridors without pits.
I must question if it put itself here, or if someone--perhaps the winged ones--put it here.

It's all of our favorite parts of this stratum, in one convenient burst.

The Cranial Hammer has a 30% base chance to inflict head bind on normal attacks. It's going in the garbage as soon as I get back to town.

Really not worth walking over all those damage tiles.

A fatal flaw in an otherwise optimal position.

The stairs here are the way forward, but there's some basically-optional parts on 16F that I want to map out.

The lower set of stairs just leads to this small island with a shortcut.

The upper set leads here.

SYSTEM: For just an instant, you think you see something like the silhouette of a fish in the sky near your feet.
...I've gotta be seeing things.
No, I saw it too!
But... That's... That makes no sense! A sky fish?!
SYSTEM: You have never heard of a fish that swims in the sky before, but this is uncharted territory... It would not surprise you to come across such a fish here! You consider casting a line in pursuit of this new discovery.
Okay, no, I'm gonna catch this thing!
SYSTEM: You each try dropping a fishing line into the sky spreading beneath you. ...After some time, there is a mighty tug on Nadia's fishing rod! One of the sky fish has taken the bait!
Heh, gotcha now!
SYSTEM: The fish struggles mightily, dragging the line left and right! Nadia patiently keeps pace with the fish's movement until the line stops moving, and then quickly reels it in! But at that moment, you hear something snap, and the weight on the line mysteriously vanishes.
What the--?!
SYSTEM: Still pulling on the rod, Nadia falls backwards and hits their head on the hard, stone ground!

Owowow...
SYSTEM: As Nadia sits back up, still in pain from the fall, you find a tree branch caught on the end of the line. It seems you mistook the strong pull of the hook getting caught on a branch for the writhing of a fish...
Agh... See, I knew "sky fish" was a dumb explanation...
SYSTEM: Though you are at first dejected, you then see that the branch is one of the rarer materials found in this Stratum!

SYSTEM: You did not make the new discovery you hoped to, but you have a rare material, and that is cause enough for joy as you go.

This is the only other notable thing on the floor.

The stairs leading up from 17F just goes to this small central area. All you have to do is ride a platform down, right, and up again.

This happens as soon as we enter the area.

SYSTEM: You look up to see Canaan, chief of the winged ones whom you spoke with at the entrance. He flies down towards you and executes a graceful landing.

SYSTEM: His voice carries sincere respect for your victory over the Labyrinth's hardships.
It must have been a challenge for earthbound ones to reach this place.
You have no idea.
But your challenge is far from over. Beyond this point is the Queen of the Skies's lair. Since you have done so well in coming to her domain, I wish to do all I can to help you. Is there anything you would like to know? I will answer if it is within my power.
SYSTEM: Canaan looks at you, awaiting your first question.

Let's ask all three.

Let us start with a simple inquiry: who are the winged ones?
SYSTEM: Canaan answers your query in a proud tone of voice.
We are those of whom you speak. We are the sons of the will of the Star, Father Sun, and Mother Moon. We obey the Star's will and live in this forest on the sufferance of the Star's voice.
SYSTEM: Canaan holds his head high as he speaks. You doubt you can learn anything concrete.
Hmm... What about this mysterious "Star?" You've mentioned it several times.
SYSTEM: You ask the chief of the winged ones about the voice of the Star. He looks up into the sky and gives it some thought before slowly responding.
The will of the Star gave birth to us, and his voice dictates my people's laws. In times past, our leader...which is to say myself...heard the Star's voice in the holy place. We were given several commands. This is the oldest of them: "Escort those who bear the pact to the path to the heavens." You have helped us fulfill this oath.
You've mentioned this before, yes.
We were also told to carry the injured earthbound ones to the heavens.
...! The Duchy's writings were true, then... Why?
Why? I cannot say. We did as we were told and carried scores of earthbound ones to the sky.
You have any idea what happened to them? All we know is two of them ended up becoming monsters we had to fight.
What happened to them? We do not know. We do not ask. We do not enter the castle.
SYSTEM: Canaan breathes a deep sigh. You are more curious than ever to know why they carried humans to the castle in the sky... You consider asking Canaan, but you doubt he will speak any more of the matter.
Ahem... Finally, can you explain anything about this Queen of the Skies?
The Queen of the Skies... You wish to know more about your adversary.
SYSTEM: Canaan's face takes on a stern cast before he continues.
That demon bird suddenly appeared before us, out of the blue heavens. We were preparing to receive the word of the Star when it fell upon us mercilessly. Many of our people fell victim to the foul bird. We were forced to abandon the holy land... Ever since, many of our best warriors have given their all to defeat it. The result... was always the same. Many died, and our ties to the holy land were lost... If you defeat it, we can once again commune with our god. Much rests on your shoulders.
Oh, great, no pressure, then.
SYSTEM: The winged one smiles and continues with his speech.
The Queen of the Skies instills fear in its prey with its shrill cry. Beware of that when you battle it.

That's quite possibly the most literal metaphor for a skill I've ever seen. The skill's even called Shrill Cry, for god's sake.

SYSTEM: After delivering this warning, Canaan blesses you and promises to pray for your safety.
That was all we wanted to ask. Thank you, Sir Canaan.
SYSTEM: With no further questions to pose to Canaan, you thank him for the information. Canaan acknowledges your thanks with a nod and points to the stairs behind him.
Our former sacred ground is past this point. The demon bird makes her nest there. Whether or not you can ascend to the castle in the heavens depends on this battle. May Father Sun and Mother Moon bless you, Lumen...
SYSTEM: Canaan slowly rises into the air, looking down after you until he vanishes.

SYSTEM: You can ascend the stairs and challenge the Queen of the Skies, or head to High Lagaard and prepare.
I feel like at least getting a rough map of the area would be a good idea.
Alright, but let's keep our distance.

As soon as we step on the platform and it finishes its path...

SYSTEM: But though it sees you, the Queen makes no move and stays serenely in its airborne position. She is beautiful to behold, but you feel as if a prolonged gaze at her would cause your sanity to ebb. You shake off the curious feeling and prepare for battle! A powerful foe stands before you to be defeated!
Okay that's the map let's go back to town c'mon everyone!
I can see someone's panicking...

Oh boy.

Oh, great, Realga fainted... Again, I guess.
I'll bring her back to the inn...

Jesus christ.

Well, all that money must mean some good Grimoire Trade opportunities opened up.

Ooh, that's nice. I trade some duplicate level 9 and 8 Grimoires for the Curse Mastery.

And a level 8 monster Grimoire for this Curb ATK Up.

...Wait a minute.

Holy poo poo.

I loving attracted Legendary explorers by accident. If you didn't read the Grimorie mechanics post, here's a quick summary: to generate these guys, not only do you have to bring in at least 300 customers across 3 districts, but the ones digits of your monsters hunted and steps taken stats on your Guild Card must match up too.

I got some fantastic effects, too. Force Up is absolute trash, but Auto-Heal and Self-Heal Amp are anything but. I trade for every single Grimoire from both of the holders of those effects. Ursa is now several times stronger than she was before--Beasts end up with quite a few unused Grimoire slots that you usually just put some passives on, and these are basically the strongest possible passives.

Seriously, holy loving poo poo, that was so goddamned lucky.

Let's cook some stuff to celebrate.

Strawberry-Jam Loin Steak increases each party member's VIT by 10. Definitely the least useful of the stat-up foods, but I guess it's kinda nice if you have a really flimsy party for some hosed up reason.

Stone Bird Nikujaga doubles the chance that generated Grimoires will have an additional effect on them. Again, if you're going Grimoire hunting, there's little reason not to use the Yggdrasil Clover Tea, if you have it.

Pepper Cockatrice gives each party member 80% resistance to Curse. There's pretty much just one boss fight where this is useful.

Oh, hey, my luck didn't end with the Grimoires--the giant population group of the Slums and the Gourmet King both showed up at the same time.

There's a festival going on in Uptown, too.

There's only a small group in the North Ward, but at least there's a festival.

Then, I (basically randomly) did the last upgrade for the Slums, since I wanted to get the most out of the combination of things going on in it.

And that's it for now. Next time: Harpuia, Queen of the Skies.
[

Rea fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 17, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Harpuia pre-fight overview

Harpuia
HP: 19660, STR: 45, TEC: 45, VIT: 41, AGI: 38, LUC: 45
Skills:
  • Shrill Cry: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict fear on the party, with a 60% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Claws of Despair: Uses the arms. Deals 2 instances of 150% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Storm Feather: Uses the arms. Deals 110% melee STR-based Stab damage to the party. Attempts to inflict blind on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Feast: Uses the legs. Deals a variable amount of instances of 80% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times from the second cast on. Attempts to bind every body part of hit targets, with a 10% base chance. The number of hits Feast deals varies based on how many times Harpuia has casted it. In order based on number of times: 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21. The number of times a target can be hit also scales based on number of casts: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Has a 40% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Chaos Scream: Uses the head. Triples the chance of all party members being afflicted with ailments and binds for 6 turns.
Drops:
  • Normal: Harpy Wing. 100% chance. Sells for 6000 en. 1 needed to make Nihil Blade (+147 ATK, +10 TP, +2 AGI).
    "Winged arms with three sharp talons at the tip. Its power charms those who look upon it."
  • Conditional: Queen's Quill (Kill while head is bound). 100% chance. Sells for 12500 en. 1 needed to make Sylpheed (Survivalist ultimate armor; +94 DEF, +30 TP, +3 AGI).
    "A seemingly weightless sky-blue quill. Silence its bearer's song to obtain it."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 75% 25% 25% 25% 50% 0%
0% 0% 10%
75% 25% 25%
AI pattern:
  • Normal loop:
    • Turn 1: Shrill Cry
    • Turns 2-4: Attack/Claws of Despair or Storm Feather
    • Turn 5: Feast
  • Harpuia uses Claws of Despair more as her HP lowers.
  • On the turns after Harpuia is brought below 80% and 30% HP, she will use Chaos Scream at the end of the turn, use Feast on the next turn, and begin a new loop.

The queen of the skies, whose beguiling shriek must be silenced if you hope to claim a feather...

Harpuia is an oddity. She's pretty widely regarded as a joke, especially after Scylla, mostly because her skillset is very small, and fairly easily countered. Her entire thing is having a pretty wide variety of disables that she can inflict: she has access to blind, paralysis, fear, and all three types of binds. You might look at that and assume that'd be difficult to counter, but it's actually simpler than you'd think.

Shrill Cry's fear is the #1 thing you want to avoid, since it's her highest base infliction chance at 60%, which is then boosted by her high LUC--you can take care of this either through Barrier, Prevent Order, or Scorpion Plumes. Hell, you don't even need to outfit your entire party with Scorpion Plumes--you could just put one on a Medic, and have them use a party-target Refresh, since Shrill Cry will outspeed Refresh.

Claws of Despair's paralysis should be second in "ailments to block" priorities, since it's a debilitating ailment. Barrier and Prevent Order are, again, answers to that, along with Mushroom Pins--keep in mind that characters can only equip one accessory at a time, though. As for Claws of Despair itself, it hurts, and can one-shot less-sturdy classes in some instances, but as long as it doesn't target the same person twice, you can probably just heal it up.

Storm Feather's blind is the lowest priority ailment here, since none of Harpuia's attacks rely on disabling your evasion, and while your damage dealers getting tagged with blind sucks, it's the least annoying to get rid of, since it's not debilitating. As for the damage, like Claws of Despair, it's healable, although having a Beast tank it with Hit-Taker is basically a death sentence.

Feast is basically Harpuia's signature skill, and it's really strange, as you can probably tell from how long its skill description is. It's really unnotable for the first two casts, but after that, it actually does start to become a very real threat. ...Though, if you let the Harpuia fight go on for 4+ casts of Feast, your party is probably ill-put together anyway, and you probably have bigger problems than Feast. Also, note that while the base bind chance is 10%, Harpuia precedes both of her HP-based casts of Feast with Chaos Scream--I don't know if the resistance decrease is applied before or after LUC adjustments, but my point is that you should be on your toes for those instances.

Chaos Scream really loving sucks and it's why I heavily advocate for either bringing along a Sovereign or some Unihorns, since it can effectively make some of Harpuia's disables guaranteed against classes with low LUC, and still uncomfortably high otherwise. You could also just block it by casting Health Requiem (the one time that dumb bugged spell is useful), but that's not an option here, because...

I am banning Milly from being voted in for the Harpuia party. I've already cheesed three bosses (Basilisk, Flame Demon, Scylla) with some combination of her and heavy nukers, and I don't feel that makes for very interesting fights.

Damage dealers

Zack: We're late enough into the game that I could probably have Zack try out the Chaser build, which can output good damage, but he'd need a party constructed entirely around him--namely, he'd need Stardust, reskilled to focus on Palm skills, Ranger, Rheine, basically anyone with access to elemental damage.

Freyja: Freyja would need a party built around a quick kill, since while she can dish out a lot of hurt with a 2 or 3 bind Ecstasy, because Harpuia has 25% resistance to two types of binds, after she's inflicted with them once, she's immune to them for 10 turns, at which point Freyja becomes significantly less great of an option.

Stardust: Stardust is, as always, one of the best options for damage. I don't really think there's a lot else to say, aside from the fact that I can finally demonstrate what makes the Strawberry Daifuku plus Compression so incredibly good.

Asriel: Asriel's low LUC makes him susceptible to being hit with disables, and his damage output is still lagging behind our better options.

Jackie: Jackie's a much better option for Harpuia than she was for Flame Demon and Scylla, due to the fact that Harpuia doesn't have any summons (aside from some Luminous Birds to the side of the arena that'll take a while to get there, if I don't kill them first). Action Boost also makes her a pretty good partner for Zack.

Tyler: Harpuia unfortunately lacks the Stab weakness that's characteristic of bird enemies, but oh well. Tyler's an okay option for damage--he'll basically do the same stuff he did in the Scylla fight: prep Delayed Charge, Spear Assist for a few turns, then Cross Charge + Delayed Charge.

Ranger: You've seen how powerful Ranger is by now. In addition to that, Accelerate also provides three easy actions for Zack's Chasers.

Defense

Phoebe: Phoebe can't just straight-up stop damage like she did for Scylla, but Front Guard will still go a very long way towards making Harpuia's skillset a lot more manageable.

Ursa: Ursa will 100% die if she tanks Storm Feather, but other than that, she's a pretty decent choice. The Self-Heal Amp and Auto-Heal Grimoire effects have the potential to make her incredibly difficult to kill.

Supports

Nadia: Blind Arrow does absolutely nothing vs. Harpuia, and Paralysis Arrow will probably take a while to land, but when it does, it can make Harpuia a lot easier to deal with for a few turns. She can also try dodge-tanking to set up Hazy Arrow, but Harpuia's high AGI and LUC makes that a dangerous proposition.

Realga: As long as I can keep Realga free of debilitating disables and head binds, she can help reactively mitigate Harpuia's diables. She can also quickly and easily patch up damage.

Sophie: Sophie is, as always, the best option for trying to disable Harpuia, even though Harpuia nullifies both blind and fear. Also as always, she's best used as a partner to Freyja for setting up Ecstasy. She can pretty easily get us the conditional, too.

Colette: I'm going to shift Colette into the Support category now, since her primary job in fights from now on will be blocking disables with Barrier, and providing basically-passive healing with Artery.

Rheine: Rheine's the best option for buffs by default here, and Link Order also means she can contribute some decent damage. It also provides some fodder for a Chaser build.

Vote for a maximum of five characters, with at least 1 character from each category.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Zack, Phoebe, Asriel, Rheine, Jackie

The composition I beat the game with.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Asriel, Tyler, Freyja, Ursa, and Sophie.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Jackie, Phoebe, Rheine, Zach, Stardust

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Zack, Stardust, Ursa, Rheine, and Jackie

Chase Team ahoy!

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Zack, Ursa, Stardust, Rheine, Phobe.

I'm sure this will either go horribly wrong or horribly right.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Tyler, Colette, Ursa, Sophie, Jackie.

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something with this party, but I'll be damned if I know what.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stardust, Ursa, Sophie, Freyja, Jackie

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Freyja, Stardust, Jackie, Ursa, Sophie

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

BlackPersona posted:

Zack, Stardust, Ursa, Rheine, and Jackie

Chase Team ahoy!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, who haven't we seen for a while?

Zack, Tyler, Phoebe, Sophie, Colette

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jackie, Asriel, Phoebe, Nadia.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results are:

quote:

Jackie: 8
Ursa: 7
Zack: 6
Stardust: 6
Sophie: 5
Rheine: 5
Phoebe: 5

Tyler: 3
Asriel: 3
Freyja: 3
Colette: 2
Nadia: 1

Anyone not listed has no votes.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stardust, Jackie, Phoebe, Sophie, Colette

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Freyja and Sophie but the rest is up to you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Since you can use Ariadne Threads from anywhere, it doesn't seem that hard to make your step count and monster hunt match up.

Unless you can't check your guild card in the dungeon.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Glazius posted:

Since you can use Ariadne Threads from anywhere, it doesn't seem that hard to make your step count and monster hunt match up.

Unless you can't check your guild card in the dungeon.

The problem is syncing up leaving the Labyrinth with when the ad campaign ends and both of those ones digits match up--remember that time passes during battles.

In other news, voting is closed. Final tally:

quote:

Jackie: 9
Rheine: 5 (+2 my vote)
Sophie: 7
Stardust: 7
Zack: 6 (+1 my vote)

Ursa: 7
Phoebe: 6
Freyja: 4
Asriel: 3
Tyler: 3
Colette: 3
Nadia: 1

Anyone not listed has no votes.

The final determination of who got out of that tie was decided arbitrarily, based on my own preferences. The Harpuia party is:

Zack, Rheine, Stardust, Sophie, Jackie.

Where we're going, we don't need defense. :getin:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 42: Battle at Yggdrasil's Apex

Giant bird woman, huh? Shouldn't be too bad.
I must still advise caution--to fail so close to the floating castle would be our worst possible fate.
Hmm... Okay, that should be the last adjustment I needed. The Portable Effectizer™ is ready for action!
Um, are your metal gloves supposed to be sparking that much?
Finally, I can actually see at least one of the scenic spots Ranger's been noting down.

We're finishing the 4th Stratum today. Harpuia is all that stands between us and the floating castle.

I got a little ahead of myself and bought Zack his ultimate non-body armor already since it only cost 130k en. As for his skills, I rested him to reset his focus from sword skills to the chasers plus some points in Axe Mastery for bonus damage. If you're wondering why I went with axes instead of swords, it's because axes generally hit harder than swords do. I also opted to max out Triple Charge because the chasers cost 30 TP at level 20--that will drain Zack dry incredibly quickly if I just spam it, so I can use Triple Charge to lose out on 20% damage per turn in exchange for spending 42 TP every 2 turns instead of 60.

Zack is kind of the cornerstone of this entire party--basically everyone but Sophie is in here because they can provide fodder for Volt Chaser.

I rested Rheine mostly to focus her build on Attack Order, Link Order, and Morale Boost.

Stardust took a rest to reallocate her points in Inferno and Cocytus Formulas into the palm skills. Additional Palm is a really easy way to get as much damage out of a Chaser as possible, plus the nature of palms being low-TP cost means Stardust can spam compressed formulas for the duration of Analysis, and then switch to the palms so she doesn't run out of TP before the fight's over.

All those random Grimoires are for the Volt Up effect, by the way.

Sophie is the one party member here that I didn't rest before this fight. I put her new skill points into Madness Curse, since it's a good idea for her to have access to a debilitating ailment that isn't fear, in case an enemy (like, coincidentally, Harpuia) is immune to fear.

Jackie has Charged Volt and Burst Shot both maxed out now.

Lastly, before we go up to fight the Queen of the Skies, I ate the LUC +10 food so that Sophie's chance of inflicting stuff on Harpuia is raised, since Harpuia has 25% resistance to a LOT of disables.

Huh. I was expecting something more like Scylla.
Make no mistake, she is just as deadly as the Ice Princess...

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Harpuia :siren:

You're not gonna stop us from getting to the castle!

A quick refresher on Harpuia's stats:

quote:

Harpuia
HP: 19660, STR: 45, TEC: 45, VIT: 41, AGI: 38, LUC: 45
Skills:
  • Shrill Cry: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict fear on the party, with a 60% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Claws of Despair: Uses the arms. Deals 2 instances of 150% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Attempts to inflict paralysis on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Storm Feather: Uses the arms. Deals 110% melee STR-based Stab damage to the party. Attempts to inflict blind on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Feast: Uses the legs. Deals a variable amount of instances of 80% melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times from the second cast on. Attempts to bind every body part of hit targets, with a 10% base chance. The number of hits Feast deals varies based on how many times Harpuia has casted it. In order based on number of times: 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21. The number of times a target can be hit also scales based on number of casts: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Has a 40% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Chaos Scream: Uses the head. Triples the chance of all party members being afflicted with ailments and binds for 6 turns.
Drops:
  • Normal: Harpy Wing. 100% chance. Sells for 6000 en. 1 needed to make Nihil Blade (+147 ATK, +10 TP, +2 AGI).
    "Winged arms with three sharp talons at the tip. Its power charms those who look upon it."
  • Conditional: Queen's Quill (Kill while head is bound). 100% chance. Sells for 12500 en. 1 needed to make Sylpheed Vest (Survivalist ultimate armor; +94 DEF, +30 TP, +3 AGI).
    "A seemingly weightless sky-blue quill. Silence its bearer's song to obtain it."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 75% 25% 25% 25% 50% 0%
0% 0% 10%
75% 25% 25%

Since Stardust needs a turn to set up Compression, I'll have Zack also take a turn to use Triple Charge.

Prevent Order is basically a necessity here, to stop Shrill Cry.

Same as ever.

Madness Curse will stop Harpuia from doing anything dangerous for a few turns while I get some binds off.

I'd rather let Burst Shot get the bonus activation from Action Boost.

Steel your resolves!

Oh, gods, my ears!
I knew harpies had high-pitched voices, but...augh!

Mm! The thighs taste just like already-cooked poultry!

Even with Creeping Curse in effect, that was lucky.

Steady, steady!

Let it begin.

While those three start the chase chain, Sophie will try to bind Harpuia.

Whenever you two are ready...

While that kind of hurts, it's significantly better than being on the receiving end of Claws of Despair or Storm Feather while lacking a defensive support.

That was, also, very lucky.

That's my cue!

Electrifying, isn't it?

It's three bullets turned into one!

Chase...

And chase again!

Gunners are really good in chaser parties since Action Boost's second hit is a separate action, meaning it procs chasers twice.

Under the effects of Triple Charge and Full Charge, with only 3 of the 5 chases possible on that turn, Zack did 2026 damage. That is pretty drat good, especially for a class that's normally on the low end of total damage per turn.

Now that Attack Order's in effect, Rheine can contribute some damage of her own, and provide another chase opportunity.

Leg binds are next on Sophie's itinerary of disables.

Burst Shot has a cooldown, so Jackie has to swap to Charged Volt now.

My luck is bordering on "suspicious" now.

The fun never ends!

Stardust might be the only one dealing big nukes, but the damage from everyone else racks up--Zack just did 1514 damage, and that was without using Triple Charge.

Sophie's actually running out of things to inflict. Bear in mind that Harpuia is still panicked.

Jeez, did you, like, skip dinner?

Well, the panic wore off, but look at that. The only damage buff I have is Attack Order level 10 (30%), and we've whittled down Harpuia's HP to this little in just 4 turns.

This is somewhat dumb, since TP conservation isn't really a concern right now--Harpuia's going to die really soon, definitely before Zack runs out of TP.

Uh, Stardust, you sure about this?
It's kind of hard to hit someone with the Portable Effectizer from the back row.

Now that Analysis and Compression have both run out of duration, I decided that Stardust should switch to demonstrating Volt Palm.

Only one-fifth of the energy for around half of the impact of a normal effect!
That's, ah, impressive... I suppose?

What you can't see here is that Volt Palm also has two extra effects: it increases the damage Stardust's next action will deal by 20%, and also adds a Volt element to whatever her next attack is.

It seems as if she's having trouble staying airborne...
I'd hope so. Those wings and feathers didn't taste of anything...

Ahh!
I asked if those giant gloves were supposed to be sparking that much... At least it kinda hurt her.

Additional Palm activates whenever Stardust uses a palm skill, and deals some extra damage of the same element as the used palm skill at the end of the turn. Again, this is a separate action, and procs another chase.

Yeah, it's over by this point.

Couldn't fly around that, could ya?!

That was really easy. I even got the conditional!

SYSTEM: You have defeated the dreadful tyrant reigning over this Stratum!
We did it, WE DID IT! The floating castle's just a few steps away!
All those mornings and evenings forgetting my sword training and practicing using these heavy things paid off, hah.
I...must admit, I never thought our guild would actually reach the floating castle...
Perhaps I could take up some side jobs working on weapon design after all of this is finished.
I don't want this to ever end! All of--okay, most of these monsters are so delicious...
SYSTEM: As you shout for joy in celebration of your victory, a figure descends from above.

SYSTEM: You recognize the voice of the winged ones's chief, Canaan, as he appears before you.
Oh, uh, thanks. ...Who are you?
I will inform you later, Zachary.
Is this the power of the Star's will? Or was this thing done by your strength alone...?
If your god was influencing that fight, I certainly didn't notice.
SYSTEM: Canaan regards you, impressed, before looking up into the forest and continuing.
We have recovered our holy land, and are honor-bound to grant you access onward. Ahead lies the path to the heavens. If you would tread it, continue with care.
SYSTEM: With that said, Canaan points further within. You may continue deeper into the Labyrinth, or head back to High Lagaard to prepare.
I suppose we should check if the castle has a Geomagnetic Pole... Onwards!

We have now (almost) completely explored Yggdrasil. Onto the castle!

Welcome to the final stratum of the main story.

Look at this place! It's huge! I can't even see the top!
This is a lot different than any castle I've ever seen...

I, the Overlord of the heavens, created this keep. No one may enter without my permission.
Th-the Overlord? Where are you?
SYSTEM: No one is nearby, and the strong wind roars around you, yet the mysterious voice goes on. You ponder an appropriate response to the one who calls himself Overlord...
We're the ones who seek to fulfill the pact.
SYSTEM: You allude to the ancient pact which seemed to pacify the winged ones. The mysterious voice falls silent for a time before speaking again.
The ancient pact... You descend from those who left me and fell to the earth.
SYSTEM: The voice continues in a scornful, condescending tone.
If you acknowledge your error and wish to return, I shall welcome you with open arms. Enter my stronghold, shed your transient life, and gain the blessings of eternity.
I'll...pass, thanks.
I think we all want to pass on that offer.
SYSTEM: The mysterious voice falls silent after this. You wonder whether you should continue down the path or use caution and return to High Lagaard.
...So, uh, can we please stop standing on this really tiny platform in the middle of a big storm?

It's...magnificent...
All of this technology looks interesting, too.

Heavenly Keep in the original EO2 looked eye-searingly ugly, which basically necessitated a complete redesign. I wouldn't really call it nice to look at like Petal Bridge was, but I still really dig the design of EO2U Heavenly Keep--especially the stained glass (you can kind of see some at the top of the image there), which was nigh-unseeable in EO2.

I believe we all deserve a nice rest after this.

Selling Harpuia's drops.

Nihil Blade (+147 ATK, +10 TP, +2 AGI) is unlocked by selling 1 Harpy Wing. This thing could honestly last you until the final boss and even a little bit beyond, since the gap between it and the next significant katana upgrade is basically an entire stratum.

Sylpheed Vest (Survivalist ultimate armor; +94 DEF, +30 TP, +3 AGI) is unlocked by selling 1 Queen's Quill.

Haha, what do you think? Lovely, isn't it? My daughter drew it for you. It looks like she's taken quite a liking to all of you! Now she even helps out with the room cleaning, and preparing dinner... Hahaha, I'm so proud of her. Now you go on and make my daughter proud! I'm counting on you!

Oh, that's right. I never did check on Quona's FOEbucks dialogue, did I?

We went to the bakery that I told her about...and regulars there can order food too. ...I'd like you all to come with me next time...
Maybe when I'm not on the active party. That sound okay?

Her normal 21F dialogue.

When I go buy supplies...they all ask me how Lumen is doing... Everyone wants to hear what you're like... It makes me kind of happy to hear that.
We really have become celebrities, huh?

You heard right.
So, I was right! Huh? Oh, about who'd find the floating castle first, of course! I was just telling Dad that if anyone was going to find the floating castle, it would be you all. I should follow your example and work even harder! I'll start by cleaning the whole--Eek!
Ack!
Owww... Oh, I-I'm so sorry! You're not hurt anywhere, are you?
N-nope... Just kinda sore now...
*sigh*... No matter what I do, I'm still clumsy...but I'll still try my hardest. Take your time looking around, okay?

Are you looking forward to us discovering exotic ingredients?
Wh--well, n-no, I just... ...Grandpa told me. You have some goal to accomplish, and that's why you've gone to the floating castle, right?
A goal that's crucial to Lagaard's future, yep.
Even someone who's obsessed with cooking can see now's not the time to be talking about ingredients. So... I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts, and praying for your success.

That we did.
Haw haw haw haw! This is great news! It's incredible! Three cheers to Lumen! Well? C'mon, let's hear it! We want the whole story!
If you wanna hear the entire story--like, from us starting from 1F--we'll be here a while. How about we just get going?
Are yeh that dense? Look around yeh! Everyone's waitin' to hear yer story. Yeh ain't getting outta this one! C'mon, out with it! And yeh might as well take out that wallet of yers and order something too. Haw haw haw!

21F bar patrons.

Hmm... Aha! Cass, what's the calmest, coolest drink you've got?
WhoaAAAaAaA!? C-Cold! I-I wanted to drink that with my mouth since it smells so good... But this means... Lumen is here...right? Right. There's nobody else that would do that...
Hehe, sorry.
*sigh*... But thanks for waking me up. I have to bring something to Lilly, you see. Here, look. It's a Bound Root. You can obtain it if you defeat a Mandrake while its head, arms, and legs are all bound.
That sounds incredibly annoying.
Lilly said that she likes this a lot! I think she'll like it a lot. You see, she's really cute... She makes me try my best even though it's so hard...
Aww.

Boy with a stick:

Ah, it's Lumen! It's Lumen! It's really them! Hey, um, tell me about the castle! It's so cool, right!? It's floating in the sky, right!?
Uh, I, um... Y-yeah! It's got...tons of really scary monsters! ...REALLY scary.
Whoa... W-Wow...! Really!? Oh man, that's...that's so awesome! It sounds really dangerous, but you get back safe, and then you just go back in again...! Yeah... M-Me too! I'm definitely gonna become a fearless adventurer too!

Tipsy lady:

I heard if I wait around here, I can meet the explorers that discovered the flying castle...
You are observing them now.
Wait, you guys are Lumen!? Seriously!? A-Are y'messing with me!? ...Wow, you're...uh...more normal than I thought. Ah, no, no, I don't mean in a bad way! Normal in a good way! S'a compliment! Really. ...Phew. Hope they bought it.

After months of exploring every inch of that tree, we're finally there, yeah.
A building that floats among the clouds... One day, I'd like to witness it with my own eyes. All that remains is to find the Grail of Kings, and save the Duke.
"All" that remains. Yeah, sure.
I expect great things from you. I believe...you will be the ones to save High Lagaard. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

You've finally done it! Mere words cannot express how grateful I am... You have now proven the legends true. To be honest, I did not expect to live to see this day. Well done. I will never forget your guild. Its name shall be etched upon my gravestone, to ensure future generations remember your service.
Woah... Uh, thanks. That's...quite an honor. Having our name engraved as a part of a minister's epitaph.
All that remains for you to do is to enter the castle...and obtain the Grail of Kings.
Lady Gradriel and the Duke are counting on us. We'll find it as soon as we can.
I look forward to your safe return, Guild Lumen!

Jesus, that's a lot of new quests. No Ginnungagap quest this time, though.

That DLC quest, incidentally, recommends your party be level 85 or higher. Yeah, no.

Haute cuisine:

Oh, that one comes straight from the Grand Duchy. Gotta show 'em how good FOEbucks is doin'.
We made enough profit from one ad campaign that we made Realga faint. Is that enough?
Good lord. Yeh lot are handlin' a ton of jobs around the place. Restaurant manager, explorer...how do yeh do it? Oh, the quest says: Garner 50,000en income for the store from one Advertising Plan.

...gently caress. The last ad campaign (turned in off screen) made almost 100k en. God loving dammit, I should've just waited till now to turn it in.

...F-Fifty friggin' thousand ental!? Yeh're making that much!? Ah, wait, no, yeh just gotta make that much from now on. Ain't rakin' in that much yet. Phew. But...that's the kinda figure that could really make a man sing. And it's comin' from the Grand Duchy, even... Well, give it yer best shot...but don't try so hard that I start to losin' customers to the cafe. ...Listen close. I'll say it one more time. Do not. Bring. My sales down...awright? Got it?
I can't imagine the intersection of "bar patrons" and "restaurant goers" isn't very large, and they most likely see both establishments as serving their own purpose.
That was a lotta words to just say "both of our places do different things."

The Test of Courage:

Oh, yeh're here. Yeh lot did good work! Siddown, siddown. Let's have a talk. Yeh remember that job yeh took a while ago? Where yeh had to get the meat for the banquet, yeah?
Where we had to quickly slaughter that bison, yes.
Sounds like yeh really impressed all them nobles at the fancy dinner! Couldn't stop talkin' about yeh. And now, more and more folks are lookin' to meet yeh. A really fancy noble was askin' after yeh the other day. Folks call him the count palatine. Turns out, he wants yeh to take part in the Test of Courage that happens for the Lagaard Foundation Memorial Service!
...Huh?
What's with those blank faces? Wait, don't tell me yeh never heard of High Lagaard's Test of Courage? Well...should've figured yeh wouldn't know how things work 'round here. Yeh're new, and yeh been in the forest the whole time!
No to the first part, yes to the second part.
Listen up. Gettin' invited into the Test of Courage...well, it's one of the biggest honors in the whole drat country. It's every five years during the Lagaard Foundation Memorial Service, and it's a battle to decide who'll represent the nation. The Memorial Service started yesterday. Usually, yeh can't join this late, but...this is a special case! Haw haw haw! It's real simple. Yeh just gotta defeat
the most of a certain kind of monster in the forest, on the 17th floor. Anyways, yeh can get details on the 17th floor. A guard's takin' registrations there, so he'll tell yeh all about it.

Well, try hard, but don't get too reckless. Awright then! I'll be expectin' a lot out of yeh!

This is a real fucker of a quest, and one of the few ones where I'd be perfectly fine with taking a lesser reward. Yes, it's a variable reward quest.

Labyrinth groundskeeping:

Oh, yeh're here! That's a request from a farmer from out in the boonies. See, this city's protected by Yggdrasil. Well, the Labyrinth's the whole reason yeh came, so I guess yeh already understand. The drat thing's massive, but it's still growin', even now. Longer branches, denser leaves, and reachin' higher every year... Well, it ain't a bad thing, but if we let it get out of hand, then that can make life a lot harder for us. In some seasons, the branches can keep the sunlight out all day. Worse, if somethin' falls from that high, we're screwed.
Entire days without sunlight. Jeez.
Yeah, that's...one of the less good parts about living here.
And what with all the adventurers, High Lagaard needs a lotta resources to keep runnin'. Especially fresh wood and lumber. So, we thought we'd kill two birds with one stone, see? Chop down some of the longer branches for extra wood. We do it at least once every few years, but before we found the Labyrinth inside, we had to climb the drat thing's trunk.
That sounds both implausible and incredibly dangerous.
The whole job was too drat dangerous. Lotta folks got injured, and a fair number of 'em never came back. In the end, y'can only get so far up the outside anyway, so we could only take a couple of the lower branches. But now the town's full of explorers, eh? Might as well turn it into a proper request! We asked several guilds, but the higher floors are pretty dangerous, yeh know? If that ain't enough, it looks like there's a couple of tough beasties around the target, so maybe yeh're the ones for the job. So, where we'd like yeh to go...are these spots on the 20th floor. Here, lemme see yer map for a second.

After yeh cut the branches 'round there, make sure yeh rub this into the tree. It's a tonic that makes plants heal up faster.

...Um, Cass, you gave us three bottles of this stuff.
Huh? What, too much tonic? Well, they gave me a bunch'a extras, so just take 'em. Better safe than sorry, eh? I mean, Yggdrasil's practically a god to these folks, so they want to make sure it's treated with respect and all that. So take 'em. Bringin' extras might end up helpin' yeh out. Who knows? Yeh know, there are more places on that floor with a ton of branches than the ones I just marked down for yeh... It's up to yeh whether yeh wanna look for more or not. We'd be happy just gettin' the branches from the places I marked down. Awright, g'luck!

It's pretty much like Cass said: there's an extra spot that he didn't mark, which will give us more reward if we take care of it.

In the cold, white night:

Hmm? Whassat now? Oh, that request. I was looking for someone to take it. That one comes from the Explorers Guild. That was one of the first places in High Lagaard yeh set foot in, right? I dunno the specifics. I'll leave the talkin' with that guildmaster to yeh... She's so uptight! It drives me nuts! So... Why don't yeh go ask her about it yerself, eh? Haw haw haw! G'luck, then!

Let's do what Cass said before we close out for now.

We're here for the quest you posted at the bar.
Hmm, the request... I see, you accepted that. Has the situation already been explained?
Cass dodged the question when we asked him.
...I see. I thought not. Perhaps it hasn't been an issue yet, but the altitude of High Lagaard means brutally cold winters. Ordinarily, it'd be good to start getting ready now. However, we're housing a lot more explorers than usual this year... The Palace and the citizens aren't too concerned, but at this rate, we won't have enough food and lodging for everyone.
I wouldn't wish being without housing in Lagaard during the winter on my worst enemies...
It's an explorer's responsibility to be prepared for any situations, so I called for guilds to gather food and fuel... But we simply don't have the resources to make new housing facilities. At this rate, when winter hits, we could have explorers out on the streets, freezing... I trust you take my point. I'd like you to gather building materials from within the floating castle. What I need you to gather is... Ironwood. Just 1 is fine, but I wouldn't turn down more. Let's see... 10 should be ideal. I've heard you can get it by chopping in the castle in the sky. I'll leave the quantity up to you, but bring me whatever you can. Thank you in advance for your help.

Man, that was a lot of quest dialogue.

Next time: we start exploring the Heavenly Keep.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 13, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
A new stratum means it's time for a new party. Hard to believe we're already basically 60% done with the game, huh?

Zack: Zack's chaser skillset means he's a lot less good at clearing out random encounters, but he can do a kind of pseudo-Link Order II thing by chasing all of the hits of either Thor formula or a Volt-triggered Link Order II itself.

Nadia: There's a lot of enemies coming up that I'd really prefer to just be able to quickly paralyze before they can act, which Nadia is really useful for. She can also try to dodge-tank stuff, which can be useful if Ursa isn't in the party.

Phoebe: Front Guard is as useful as ever for mitigating a lot of the pain of random encounters. The elemental Walls won't see much use, though.

Freyja: Being able to bind an enemy's key body part(s) before it can act is something Freyja has over Sophie when it comes to random encounters. Other than that, I guess I could try taking on some FOEs early with Ecstasy? That would basically require Freyja be partnered with Sophie, though.

Realga: Realga's still useful for patching up damage after random encounters, and reviving anyone who got killed in the middle of a battle. She can also kind of contribute to killing one enemy at a time with Vital Hit.

Stardust: Stardust is still useful in random encounters for her all-target Formulas, and she's one of the party members of choice for bursting down FOEs, should I ever feel like fighting some.

Milly: Milly still doesn't do a ton in random encounters outside of casting Warrior Song, but she's immeasurably useful for stuff like fighting FOEs.

Asriel: Asriel deals pretty decent Cut damage. I really don't have a lot else to say about him at this point, other than his encounter-clearing capabilities still kind of suck.

Sophie: Being able to disable multiple enemies and/or basically guarantee a bind on some troublesome enemies is as useful as always, honestly. In combination with Freyja, Sophie can let me potentially kill some FOEs earlier than I should be able to.

Jackie: The maximum extent of Jackie's contribution to random encounters is the fact that Charged shots have line-piercing capability. For FOEs, she's a decent damage choice, even if her damage isn't as ridiculous as something like Ecstasy.

Colette: Colette is still best used in random encounters as a way to burst down particularly troublesome enemies, with ailment support from Sophie. For FOEs, Barrier can be somewhat useful.

Ursa: Ursa tanks things, it's what she does, what else can she do? Against the one FOE on 21F and 22F that has elementals, she's pretty drat useful.

Rheine: Link Order II in combination with another heavy elemental damage dealer is still one of my preferred ways of dealing with random encounters. That's about all I have to say, really.

Tyler: Tyler contributes a combination of Stab and elemental damage, same as always. He's pretty sturdy as far as damage dealers go.

Ranger: Ranger's still a slow-acting elemental damage dealer. Transform is probably the best method for enabling early FOE murder.

Vote for a maximum of five characters. Feel free to vote for the same character multiple times.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Heavenly Keep in the original EO2 looked eye-searingly ugly, which basically necessitated a complete redesign. I wouldn't really call it nice to look at like Petal Bridge was, but I still really dig the design of EO2U Heavenly Keep--especially the stained glass (you can kind of see some at the top of the image there), which was nigh-unseeable in EO2.

In the Stickleback Bar, a mysterious alchemist twiddles a chess piece between his fingers. "But of course!" He chuckles knowingly to himself. "It's only right that my impeccable design sense be properly appreciated."

"Shut the gently caress up, Bellamy." says a Hexer eating next to him.

Bellamy stops, rears up for a scream, and lets out a whimpering "okay" before returning to staring at his chess piece dejectedly.

...uh, Phoebe, Ursa, Tyler, Colette, Nadia.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:catstare: What sacrifices did you make to your voodoo god to land that many ailments and binds?

As for voting, I feel like we haven't seen Tyler in a while, so Tyler, Tyler, Tyler, Tyler, and Ursa.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Tyler, Ursa, Phoebe, Colette, Nadia

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Heaven's Rock Seat. :dance:

Argent Cinereus posted:

Tyler, Ursa, Phoebe, Colette, Nadia

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Tyler, Rheine, Stardust, Jackie, Asriel

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jackie, Asriel, Jackie, Tyler, Jackie

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

One day, I'll find the secret to your luck with landing these ailments and murdering these bosses in single-digit turns.

Phoebe, Sophie, Frejya, Sophie, Phoebe. Is it just me, or has it been a while since Phoebe's been out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jackie, Tyler++, Phoebe++

• Locked thread