Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I've been knocked out of the map by enemies in the dungeon before, the collision in that entire level is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

God drat, it is a crime that you can't use the Lothric Knight buff without hacking.

This thing looks amazing.

Though I can't figure out what it actually DOES, mind.

I think it's some weird blessed weapon.

"Miracle taught to Lothric Knights. Blesses right weapon, increasing attack power, as well as gradually restoring HP.

The Knight is one of the Three Pillars of Lothric, said to have strengthened ties with the High Priestess after the Scholars acquired the Grand Archives."

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lemonpieman posted:

post your monsters.

this is my darling boy who loves to heal and force push people down pits, god bless him

Kirb

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

God drat, it is a crime that you can't use the Lothric Knight buff without hacking.

This thing looks amazing.

Though I can't figure out what it actually DOES, mind.

I want the buff the mace-wielding Cathedral Knights do, that lets them lay down delayed holy explosions with their swings.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Missing opportunity for the mace's weapon art there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Profaned Flame is obviously linked to the Abyss/Dark, Eleonora's description suggests the flame is is related to Alsanna, the hand-headed ogres' hand-heads look like they come straight off of Manus. But there is already such a thing as Dark flames in these games - Black Fire Orb, Dark Flame, etc - and they don't really resemble the Profaned Flame/Flame of Sin at all. It just looks kind of like a normal rear end flame.

Yhorm can't have succeed in putting the Profaned Flame to rest, not just because it's still there but also because the Profaned Capital didn't burn down until Yhorm linked the fire, according to the description of Profaned Flame (the pyromancy), and because Sulyvahn went there and found it at some point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here's my speculation: they had to cut 2/3rds of the Profaned Capital out due to time constraints, and the item descriptions that fill in the blanks were also consequently flushed down the toilet.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Deified Data posted:

Missing opportunity for the mace's weapon art there.

The Great Mace has never dropped for me, I always just assumed that was its weapon art. That's pretty disappointing.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

I want the buff the mace-wielding Cathedral Knights do, that lets them lay down delayed holy explosions with their swings.

Sadly, while I can give myself that, it looks messed up when on your weapons.

EDIT: Doesn't Blessed Weapon turn your weapon into some bright blue whiffle bat thing?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Capitol definitely feels small, for being a location mentioned in the starting cinematic as housing a Lord of Cinder. I thought it was weird that it was just another part of Irithyll Dungeon and not it's own Irithyll-sized area.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Deified Data posted:

The Capitol definitely feels small, for being a location mentioned in the starting cinematic as housing a Lord of Cinder. I thought it was weird that it was just another part of Irithyll Dungeon and not it's own Irithyll-sized area.

The Capital is even weirder considering like 70% of it is optional too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Okay, just to check:

Have I lost my marbles, or is Magic Shield supposed to apply a bright blue effect to your shield so you know it's on? It's not doing it and I could have sworn it was supposed to.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

That and the simplicity of Yhorm's boss fight (there's puzzle bosses, and then there's Yhorm) are what lead me to believe that there's just a gigantic chunk of the game missing. The difference in pacing from getting to Abyss Watchers and Aldrich compared to Yhorm is straight-up unsettling.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have literally never used magic shield in any Souls game.

You know, with the increased stamina cost of blocking, DS3 might be the first game where it's useful.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Referencing my mental map, it occurs to me that the Capital is so small that you could cut out the bonfire there and the boss run from Irithyll Dungeon to Yhorm...wouldn't even be that bad, actually.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 17, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I did in DS2, since the Blue Flame made it an actually decent option for something like a Target Shield against certain enemies. Unfortunately, the Cleric's Candlestick sucks eggs, by comparison, and the other catalyst weapons are similarly horrid.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So yeah, Magic Shield won't show the graphic here.

Just to check, is anyone else getting that?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

cast spook, plunge attack

the funny thing is that the fall would probably still kill you even with that spell

Silver cat ring still let's you die even after falls.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

So yeah, Magic Shield won't show the graphic here.

Just to check, is anyone else getting that?
works for me

also i used great magic shield in ds1 because it made you literally invulnerable
that was pretty cool

besides that it's pretty sparse use depending on situation. usually for bossfights that are hyperaggressive or leave little gaps for casting on rolls i use GMS since it turns everything into greatshield status powerhouses

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 17, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wait, why didn't anyone tell me the Lothric Knight Sword is this game's Balder Swag Sword?

Maybe what I need to reinvigorate myself towards this game is a classic, no-frills quality build. Back to basics.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Deified Data posted:

You know, with the increased stamina cost of blocking, DS3 might be the first game where it's useful.

Yeah, I found the Magic Shield spells to be surprisingly useful this time around. Blocking Soul of Cinder's first phase attacks with just the Dragon Kite Shield with GMS took maybe 1/6th of my stamina, instead of like half.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fereydun posted:

works for me

Welp, now I get to figure out what can possibly be wrong.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Deified Data posted:

Wait, why didn't anyone tell me the Lothric Knight Sword is this game's Balder Swag Sword?

Maybe what I need to reinvigorate myself towards this game is a classic, no-frills quality build. Back to basics.

I thought that was the Dark Sword? Straight Swords in general are really good though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I thought that was the Dark Sword? Straight Swords in general are really good though.

The Lothric Knight sword basically has the classic Baldur Side Sword's move set entirely.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LKS also inherits the outrageous scaling of the Astora Greatsword. It's a good option if you want an elemental infusion for a straight sword-class weapon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fereydun posted:

works for me

Can you check if it vanishes when you use the Untrue Dark Ring?

That's quite a bug if so!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Untrue Dark Ring suppresses the normal Ember effect (where you have little spots of fire on your clothes), so it may be that the script just wholesale disables any texture overlay effects on your character (which is why the Magic Shield glow isn't showing up for you).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well yeah, but I really don't think it's supposed to do that to Magic Shield.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

it does
it also goes away with the white phantom ring

edit:
also removes the blue effect on magic wep.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 17, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Well yeah, but I really don't think it's supposed to do that to Magic Shield.

Probably. I suspect it's just an oversight (because no uses Magic Shield, so they never bothered to test the ring with it).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I point out this didn't happen with Best Team's Dark Souls II, which introduced the ring effect in question.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A part of me is praying that Poise really does affect rolling iframes in some weird, arcane way, because it'd mean that we finally have a stat that's somehow more horseshit than ADP.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

:golfclap:
More of this please.

Also gently caress the things screaming when you pick up stuff. Don't need no dumb constant catscares in this game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Also gently caress the things screaming when you pick up stuff. Don't need no dumb constant catscares in this game.

I dunno how they hosed the sound design of Irithyll Dungeon so badly. For a team that's coming off of Bloodborne, throwing in loving jump scares is unbelievably amateurship.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tallgeese posted:

I remembered I was accidentally wearing UDR in this video and it removes the effect of charging your staff (1:02) as well, aside from a glow around the hand. Compare to this.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 17, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Vermain posted:

I dunno how they hosed the sound design of Irithyll Dungeon so badly. For a team that's coming off of Bloodborne, throwing in loving jump scares is unbelievably amateurship.

It rules actually. Amateurship indeed.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MZ posted:

Why do some hosts insist on summoning three Sunbros to help with the boss? Sure we beat it but do they not know that it's health shoots up with every summon?

Because that way you can ensure that everyone gets a Sunlight Medal for very little effort? Granted, it sucks to be the first phantom waiting around but having four people for the boss to split their attention on increases everyone's chances for survival even if the boss gets more health.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Golden Goat posted:

If you really want to be scared, just play Tower of Latria 3-1 in Demon's Souls.

You will dread those Cthulhu-looking fuckers.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It rules actually. Amateurship indeed.

I was rolling my eyes by the second time I came across one. Irithyll Dungeon started off strong (the Jailer walking past the entrance is a deliciously terrifying moment) and gradually faded into a wet fart of scary skeleton screams, hilariously weak monster babies, a nonsensical Basilisk trap, and tedious Jailer killing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I thought these guys were supposed to alert jailers to your presence and that's why they scream? The one in the area with the patrolling jailers outside definitely does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I thought these guys were supposed to alert jailers to your presence and that's why they scream? The one in the area with the patrolling jailers outside definitely does.

Are they? I killed every Jailer I came across, and I never had one in range when they screamed.