Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Helicon One posted:

Is the stunt double Astero fit the best way to go with that hull? I've not yet flown one but shield buffering a ship with an armour resist bonus triggers my Battleclinic PTSD.

Also I'm wondering how entry-level you could make ratter-ganking/camping. Newbies in protocloak Tristans? :3:

I believe protocloaking Griffins were a thing being used during some cloaky camping stages a while back in horde. They provide a nice force multiplier if you are going to expect something resembling a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I missing something about Bhaagrests being nearly 1k dps RHML monsters?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
missing in what way

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like "has a crippling weakness to mining barges" or something.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

OWLS! posted:

Barghests were always very very good and their recent damage buff + bonus utility high just made them extra awesome.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
They deserve to be good, that hull is just too neat not to have a purpose outside of the AT.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Helicon One posted:

Is the stunt double Astero fit the best way to go with that hull? I've not yet flown one but shield buffering a ship with an armour resist bonus triggers my Battleclinic PTSD.

Also I'm wondering how entry-level you could make ratter-ganking/camping. Newbies in protocloak Tristans? :3:

The armor resist bonus is nice, but they're pig-slow with a plate on, and they tend to be short on grid too (i.e. you can't fit a 400mm compact plate and a compact MWD without at least one fitting mod).

DCU, 1x RF MSE, 3x CDFE: 9.5k EHP
DCU, 1x EANM, 200mm plate, triple trimark: 9.8k EHP
DCU, 2x EANM, 200mm plate, triple trimark: 12k EHP
DCU, 1x EANM, 400mm plate, 2x trimark + ACR: 12k EHP

So, a shield-tanked fit ends up having the same total EHP as a 200mm plated fit, but aligns faster, MWDs faster, and can pack more DPS due to having more damage mods. Shield is actually my standard brawler Astero fit for general PvP, not just ratter hunting.

OWLS! posted:

Nope. Pretty much the only downside to them is their cost, their relatively thin tank, and the classic problem of R*ML reloads.

FWIW, it's really important to think of RLML/RHML ships in terms of "total damage per clip" instead of DPS. Don't think of an RHML Barghest as "I can deal 914dps with missiles" -- think of it as "as long as I get perfect missile damage application, I can dump 63,700 damage into targets before I have to reload and do nearly nothing for 30 seconds."

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
Once boosting gets changed to AOE or on grid or whatever it's going to be, will command destroyers finally have a purpose other than jumping people off of gates/undocks? I'd love to fly one as a mini Damnation or something of the sort but I'm bad at fits and have no idea if I could make one of them reasonably tanky. I'm fairly certain pretty much anything larger than a frigate spells bad times for destroyers, but the idea of say a support Pontifex sitting back and using drones for some slight damage while boosting everyone sounds like a ton of fun.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

if you're willing to spend you can make a dual RF MSE astero which has like 13k ehp and 50/s shield passive tank

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

if you're willing to spend you can make a dual RF MSE astero which has like 13k ehp and 50/s shield passive tank

Yeah, but it's not a fast hull -- if they have a web and you don't, they're generally gonna get away from you :\ And it's not like the Astero has a ton of DPS -- 170ish with two DDAs. It's primarily a surprise attacker, not a brawler that needs tons of buffer.

This is my general-purpose Astero, which is basically the Kadesh fit updated for tiericided modules:

quote:

[Astero, kadesh after tier]

IFFA Compact Damage Control
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier
Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Small Focused Pulse Laser II, Conflagration S

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Small Core Defense Field Extender II
Small Core Defense Field Extender II

Acolyte II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5
Hobgoblin II x5

Scorch S x1
Conflagration S x1
Nanite Repair Paste x25

Swap Anti-EM with a third CDFE as you prefer, depending on what the rats/ratters in your area are. I used to go triple CDFE, but take the EM these days due to the popularity of Acolyte drones.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

ullerrm posted:

Yeah, but it's not a fast hull -- if they have a web and you don't, they're generally gonna get away from you :\ And it's not like the Astero has a ton of DPS -- 170ish with two DDAs. It's primarily a surprise attacker, not a brawler that needs tons of buffer.

This is my general-purpose Astero, which is basically the Kadesh fit updated for tiericided modules:

Swap Anti-EM with a third CDFE as you prefer, depending on what the rats/ratters in your area are. I used to go triple CDFE, but take the EM these days due to the popularity of Acolyte drones.

is an MWD necessary if you fit scram+web?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

OWLS! posted:

Like "has a crippling weakness to mining barges" or something.

It's the most expensive Pirate Faction battleship still. Double the price of most other hulls and usually needs to be a bit more blingy to make everything fit.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
can you solo with the osprey navy anymore after it lost a launcher?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Foehammer007 posted:

Yes, it's kind of a poor man's orthrus - it got a much better damage bonus to compensate for losing the launcher, so it actually performs better with rapid lights than it used to.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

FranktheBank posted:

Is there really no counterplay to afk cloaked reds in system?

1. Fly a cheap battlecruiser
2. Having a standing fleet like in frigates on comms on standby 24-7 to warp in and save you, horde has been having lots of success with this method.

I have been on both side of the fence and think CCP should fix it somehow, I would guess CCP is on it as they said they want to remove afk ratting, make sense to remove afk camping as well

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

ullerrm posted:

I loved all your previous fit, but I don't like fitting web+scram on a squishy shield tanked ship.

I like to think there is a commitment factor, 0% being you just toying with someone outside of point range with no intention to kill him and knowing you can get out anytime. 100% being entering the engagement knowing you either have to kill them all or you are died.

Fitting a web and a scram to me feels like 80% committed, but Astero's dps and tank is weak, and you don't really have a "kiting" option without a long point. Stunt's fitting is like concentrated knowledge of his npcering experience, it's really focused on able to commit very little while just able to kill ratters.

Edit: what I mean is that Stunt's fit more of "safer" style, and you need to accommodate NPCs shooting you as well.

quote:

[Astero, NPCER]

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Damage Control II

5MN Microwarpdrive II
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier
Warp Scrambler II
Small Capacitor Booster II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu

Small Transverse Bulkhead II

Altran fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 16, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Foehammer007 posted:

God, yes. It lost a launcher, but gained a massive damage bonus. The combination of decent dps, ample mids, and two option highs makes it solid as hell.

Wozbo has done some amazing poo poo with a combat probing HAM ONI.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

ullerrm posted:

God, yes. It lost a launcher, but gained a massive damage bonus. The combination of decent dps, ample mids, and two option highs makes it solid as hell.

Wozbo has done some amazing poo poo with a combat probing HAM ONI.

??

fit??

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
Other than the fact that it is the fastest, is there a reason the Bifrost gets the most use out of the Command Destroyers? I've seen maybe one or two Pontifex/Storks, but I have never seen a Magus.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

[Osprey Navy Issue, Wozbo's Osprey Navy Issue]

Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II
Co-Processor II
Damage Control II

50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Medium Energy Neutralizer II
Expanded Probe Launcher I, Sisters Combat Scanner Probe
Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Assault Missile

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Warhead Rigor Catalyst I

Hobgoblin II x5

If you forgo the probe, you can shoehorn a second medium neut and a third BCS on there, at which point it's a pretty nasty little beast -- overheats to 3km/s, 500+ dps, tons of neuting power, and a decent chunk of buffer as well.

Longdrinks has a pretty funny anti-frigate one that uses RLMLs and a 100MN AB too.

Fureil posted:

Other than the fact that it is the fastest, is there a reason the Bifrost gets the most use out of the Command Destroyers? I've seen maybe one or two Pontifex/Storks, but I have never seen a Magus.

The speed is the main reason, but it also has more power grid than it really needs, allowing it to get all its critical bits (shield buffer, MWD, rocket launchers) without needing a fitting mod.

On the flip side, the Stork has lovely grid but ample CPU, meaning that you can shoehorn a combat probe on there for max utility.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

ullerrm posted:

The speed is the main reason, but it also has more power grid than it really needs, allowing it to get all its critical bits (shield buffer, MWD, rocket launchers) without needing a fitting mod.

On the flip side, the Stork has lovely grid but ample CPU, meaning that you can shoehorn a combat probe on there for max utility.

Cool, trying to figure out which one I want to get into for when boosts go to on grid or aoe or whatever the plan is. If Svipuls stay prevalent I'll probably just get into the Bifrost to boost them. Now to just figure out a somewhat tanky fit for one so I don't instantly pop while they kill thing. If I can find a confessor fleet to roam with that would be awesome as I would prefer a Pontifex.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Thanks to the folks who offered to loan me l4 ships - got a cheapo maelstrom that's currently doing the trick and will hopefully continue to do so until I pay off my ~benefactor~ and can start buying burner ships.

I'm not at the point where I can blitz yet, so I'm running basically everything and I think I'm going to start updating the goonwiki with mission info because eve-survival's format is painful.

We need to coordinate this. I'll make a g doc later where we can make a list of blitz able missions with blitzing instructions in a not painfully poo poo format like every other similar list out there

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Helicon One posted:

I think its the best fit for a specific purpose, i.e. roaming around cloaky and ganking ratters - it's not "the best fit" for other things. He's suggested alternatives depending on what your goals are.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Astero chat reminded me that I wanted to go back into WHs.
Did a bit of sperlunking and bagged a misguided Prophesy in a pulsar

Killmarks own.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Listen, my drone control range isn't quite that far.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Syndic Thrass posted:

We need to coordinate this. I'll make a g doc later where we can make a list of blitz able missions with blitzing instructions in a not painfully poo poo format like every other similar list out there

Sounds good. I was thinking of making a "Mission" wiki template or something of the like.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Xenothral posted:

Listen, my drone control range isn't quite that far.

is there a way to make the icons for ships/rocks/whatever you've targeted permanently stay wherever you drag them to? You can move the target icons and they'll stay there until you blow the target up or unlock it, but new target icons always appear back in the top of my EVE client.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

is there a way to make the icons for ships/rocks/whatever you've targeted permanently stay wherever you drag them to? You can move the target icons and they'll stay there until you blow the target up or unlock it, but new target icons always appear back in the top of my EVE client.
As far as I can remember (weeks since I played), its a UI setting (I permanently moved all my targets down to the bottom). Bottom right of your rings, beside your speed there's a settings button.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Eve Online: Customize Your Spreadsheets

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
It may be a lovely UI, but it's MY lovely UI.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Jazzzzz posted:

You can right click the target anchor thing and set them to sort horizontally or vertically I think.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Altran posted:

1. Fly a cheap battlecruiser
2. Having a standing fleet like in frigates on comms on standby 24-7 to warp in and save you, horde has been having lots of success with this method.

I have been on both side of the fence and think CCP should fix it somehow, I would guess CCP is on it as they said they want to remove afk ratting, make sense to remove afk camping as well

This would be great. In my limited Eve experience, it seems very rock-paper-scissors and afk cloaking seems to be dynamite. It surprised me than there was no counter measures.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, if you look above right the column of targets there's a little icon with two lines coming out at a right angle. That's the "anchor point", and you can right click to choose row or column mode.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

FranktheBank posted:

This would be great. In my limited Eve experience, it seems very rock-paper-scissors and afk cloaking seems to be dynamite. It surprised me than there was no counter measures.

its called have friends

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flanders, if someone is dead-set on flying a Nightmare for L4 missions how would that person fit said Nightmare?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Nietzschean posted:

Flanders, if someone is dead-set on flying a Nightmare for L4 missions how would that person fit said Nightmare?

shield-beams

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Sounds good. I was thinking of making a "Mission" wiki template or something of the like.

PM me on Jabber, I had a shittier solution in mind, but that would be good cause I was thinking about how to display the like 4-5 pieces of info one gives a poo poo about

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i logged off in w-space with my probes out and now i have no probes in my first exploration ship

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
There's only one way I'm aware of to lose probes and you just done did it.

Assuming your exit bookmark chain is no good, you might be SOL unless somene passing through can be convinced to take pity on you. I always carry a spare set of sisters probes in case I get disconnected but the cheap ones should work just fine for an emergency escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Nietzschean posted:

I'm not a pro at missions, so I'm not the right person to ask. But here's how I'd eyeball it.

Fixed: 100MN AB, Tachyons, drone link augmentors, at least one tracking computer. Tank is variable; the Nightmare used to have a bonus to shield tanking, so a lot of people stick with that out of convention, and it does have 7 mids. However, I've seen viable armor fits as well.

If you want to shield tank it, 3 heatsinks + 2 TEs in your lows; run 2-3 mission-specific hardeners and an XLSB, one or two cap batteries depending on how much you care about cap stability. Strongly recommend a Pith B-Type XLSB, they're only 50M isk at Jita.
If you want to armor tank it, 2-3 heatsinks + 2-3 mission-specific hardeners and a LAR, load up your mids with cap rechargers and tracking computers

• Locked thread