Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

Really interested in the 1070, it'll be interesting to see whether the 1080 makes sense outside the GPU a year club.

1070 is probably going to be the most appropriate and popular choice in Nvidia's lineup once again. I'm not surprised at the release schedule this time around since the 970/980 "issue" when they were reviewed at the exact same time nobody really wanted a 980 at all - for good reason. The 980 actually gained a long last rep as a bad card though, even though of course it wasn't it was just not nearly as good a value as the 970, so releasing this way probably avoids some of that

edit: in fact if you imagined them doing the same thing they're doing now back then the 980 would be received in the same sort of fanfare (in some respects anyway), since the 980 too trumped the 780ti in every regard which was also at the time the fastest single chip gpu

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpUX8ZNkn2U

Highlights: Fast Sync doesn't require engine integration, can just be forced in the NV control panel, and support for pre-Pascal hardware is expected to be "fairly broad".

All the editors day briefings are here if you want more detail than the slides we already saw

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 17, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Some ultrawide benchmarks

http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review-a-look-at-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Highlights: Fast Sync doesn't require engine integration, can just be forced in the NV control panel, and support for pre-Pascal hardware is expected to be "fairly broad".

Oh yeah I saw this and totally forgot about it... this sounds really sweet. A form of vsync I can tolerate (?!?!?!?!?!)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

i wonder if fast sync can be combined with ulmb

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know if the GTX 10x0s are finally gonna output deep color on displayport? The NVIDIA page doesn't say anything but I could swear I heard mentions of it in the stream.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

1070 is probably going to be the most appropriate and popular choice in Nvidia's lineup once again. I'm not surprised at the release schedule this time around since the 970/980 "issue" when they were reviewed at the exact same time nobody really wanted a 980 at all - for good reason. The 980 actually gained a long last rep as a bad card though, even though of course it wasn't it was just not nearly as good a value as the 970, so releasing this way probably avoids some of that

edit: in fact if you imagined them doing the same thing they're doing now back then the 980 would be received in the same sort of fanfare (in some respects anyway), since the 980 too trumped the 780ti in every regard which was also at the time the fastest single chip gpu

Except the 1070 will be released well before 1080 stock is stabilized. I don't think a couple week delay is going to make a huge difference in the market share.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Lockback posted:

Except the 1070 will be released well before 1080 stock is stabilized. I don't think a couple week delay is going to make a huge difference in the market share.

Yeah probably but in my opinion, if it was indeed the reason, its already worked. Not a bad word about the 1080 already because the only thing to compare it to is a bunch of older cards that it destroys. Even on day 1 for Maxwell reviewers were saying "yeah 980 does well, but wow the 970 does almost the same thing for way less BUY THAT" effectively

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lockback posted:

Apparently the 1070 has 1920 sp. 75% the cores looks like they might have gutted the poor thing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

xthetenth posted:

Apparently the 1070 has 1920 sp. 75% the cores looks like they might have gutted the poor thing.

75% for the 1080/1070 vs 81% for the 980/970, not exactly a huge enough difference to count as "gutting" it. (But yea not good for consumers looking for a new 970 to stick as close to the top end card. Especially since memory bandwidth is also down in this version compared to the 980/970 comparison.)

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
AMD better have an ace up their sleeve if they plan on gaining any market share

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ninkobei posted:

AMD better have an ace up their sleeve if they plan on gaining any market share

AMD should release all Polaris information right now if it can at least get 60-70% of 1080 performance for $300.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

repiv posted:

All the editors day briefings are here if you want more detail than the slides we already saw

Huh, so it sounds like they're just letting the engine behave like it's not v-synced at all and the driver is just picking a frame that's in sync with the display, which is interesting.

It sounds like the use case is rather limited, only games rendering at a much higher rate than the monitor will benefit. I wonder what manifests if you use it with render rates under the monitor though, will it be tearing or stutter? Doesn't seem like a good choice for people that hate v-sync for more intensive games though.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's not really possible to properly benchmark VR at this point, what little VR benchmarking that has been done has been makeshift and very difficult for the benchmarkers to do.

For the most part (aside from some specific kinds of wizardry like the muli-res/multi-proj stuff NVIDIA has been talking about) VR performance should track pretty well with standard rendering perf; however, things like frame rate consistency matter a lot more. Some of those Fury X graphs posted, for example, would be nightmares for VR, even if the average fps was good.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Elentor posted:

Does anyone know if the GTX 10x0s are finally gonna output deep color on displayport? The NVIDIA page doesn't say anything but I could swear I heard mentions of it in the stream.

according to this page it does

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_review,2.html

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh that makes me so unfathomably happy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SlayVus posted:

AMD should release all Polaris information right now if it can at least get 60-70% of 1080 performance for $300.

Isn't this being a little dramatic? 1080s are fast, but not several times faster than anything else out there. A 290X, which was $300 2 years ago, is about 50% as fast as a 1080 so I should hope they can find another 10% with a die shrink and years of R&D.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Polaris is meant to completely replace Hawaii and Fiji, no more rebadges. Should perform as well as 390X or Fury at the very least

calusari fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 17, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

*bracing for waves of theory about how bad pascal actually is*
Not sure how those are going to have any merit, this is basically Kepler 2 and Kepler had no real shortcomings.

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't this being a little dramatic? 1080s are fast, but not several times faster than anything else out there. A 290X, which was $300 2 years ago, is about 50% as fast as a 1080 so I should hope they can find another 10% with a die shrink and years of R&D.
Mindshare hivemind is stronk, even if it rarely actually pertains to reality.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
It seems that the thinking has changed since the last time I looked at cards, where the external exhaust was preferable to an internal exhaust. Why is internal now prefered, since I'd think venting out the back would be the most useful.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Solvency posted:

It seems that the thinking has changed since the last time I looked at cards, where the external exhaust was preferable to an internal exhaust. Why is internal now prefered, since I'd think venting out the back would be the most useful.
Everyone has 25-liter or more cases and popular cases have holes like swiss cheese

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All I want is Polaris info already, god drat. It feels like it's been ages.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Solvency posted:

It's just a simple case of the internal exhaust cards being quieter and most of the time, performing better. As long as you've got a couple case fans, the excess heat is cycled out more than well enough.

Sure, the external exhaust cards are a good fit for super small cases, but for your typical midtower, going with a blower just doesn't make sense.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Solvency posted:

Internal exhaust is preferred because it dissipates heat faster and does so with less noise, it's also cheaper to produce an open cooler than a blower cooler so internal exhaust designs are cheaper for the manufacturer too. The downfall of open exhaust type cards is that they depend on the computer case having good airflow to dissipate the heat generated by the card, basically blower designs are idiot proof, open designs require a good case and a decent number of fans in the right places. Most self built gaming computers have the case and airflow to support an open cooler design so they are favored by most people who would buy a gaming GPU, the exception is very small mITX computer builds that might be choked for airflow where a blower cooler is better or SLI/Crossfire setups where the GPUs might be right up against each other and blowers work much better.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

This is going to be a nice upgrade from my current GTX 780. Just gotta wait for the 3rd party and water blocks to keep using my custom loop.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Not sure how those are going to have any merit, this is basically Kepler 2 and Kepler had no real shortcomings.

Only real downside is that it started declining after two years relative to other GPUs, and a longevity comparison against GCN is pretty unfair (although because enthusiasts run comparatively short upgrade cycles longevity is traditionally undervalued, especially compared to used price).

Solvency posted:

Case ventilation got better enough to reliably extract the heat and GPUs scaled to where it takes a real hi-tech beast of a cooler to run an external exhaust that doesn't let the chip get too hot without unbearable noise. As long as the case isn't a hotbox, aftermarket coolers get much more air flow over a much bigger heatsink. One of the best GPUs in recent memory got its reputation trashed by an inadequate blower cooler. The best is a closed loop liquid cooler, if you can get one of those they have amazing load noise profiles unless they have pump noise.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I haven't bought an Nvidia card in years but if Polaris doesn't blow me away by the time the 1080 is available in Canada I'm jumping ship.

A very expensive ship.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gonkish posted:

A sane prediction: 290X/970 level performance for $200. :toot:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

cat doter posted:

Huh, so it sounds like they're just letting the engine behave like it's not v-synced at all and the driver is just picking a frame that's in sync with the display, which is interesting.

It sounds like the use case is rather limited, only games rendering at a much higher rate than the monitor will benefit. I wonder what manifests if you use it with render rates under the monitor though, will it be tearing or stutter? Doesn't seem like a good choice for people that hate v-sync for more intensive games though.

It's not clear to me what fastsync does that triple-buffering doesn't.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Solvency posted:

Internal exhaust fans have gotten bigger and often come in pairs or triplets, while external exhaust fans can only get so big before pretty bad diminishing returns, so a modern case with good air flow effectively means the best internal exhaust cards often beat the best external exhaust cards.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

This is the most likely. Maybe if we get really lucky Fury level, but that's such a weird card it isn't that good as a "level".

Kazinsal posted:

I haven't bought an Nvidia card in years but if Polaris doesn't blow me away by the time the 1080 is available in Canada I'm jumping ship.

A very expensive ship.

If you run your cards into the ground, the 1080 is likely to depreciate fast enough (like the 980 did when the Ti dropped) that keeping some money going with a 1070 and upgrading sooner would work better.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I do wish they'd include overclocked 980Ti/970 numbers in the charts. It's great to know the overclocked 1080 stomps all over a stock 980Ti, but now I have to do the mental math of overclocking the 980Ti in my head to come to actually useful real world performance comparisons.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Male Man posted:

Actually work in Direct X games.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd buy this.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Male Man posted:

The nvidia guy made it sound like you're still relying on the game engine or something with triple buffering and it doesn't reduce the input lag? Or something? I don't have the technical knowledge when it comes to frame buffers and stuff, so I can't say.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
On the topic of internal vs. external ventilation. I have a Falcon NW Tiki case and currently a gtx 780. Looking at the TDP of the new 1080, my thinking is that the 1080 should be producing less heat on average due to lower TDP (180 vs 250W of 780), so maybe internal ventilation should be sufficient?

Are there any tests of setups that shows internal vs. external ventilation for different kind of small cases? Is there a switch over point on the curve of case volume vs. gpu exhaust?

The Tiki case has openings on the top of the case right above the GPU so I am leaning towards not going for a external ventilation graphics card this time.

thanks

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DrDork posted:

I do wish they'd include overclocked 980Ti/970 numbers in the charts. It's great to know the overclocked 1080 stomps all over a stock 980Ti, but now I have to do the mental math of overclocking the 980Ti in my head to come to actually useful real world performance comparisons.

The only directly comparable one I saw (Same game same settings) was this guy:

And even then they're not going to be using the same drivers. IIRC Anandtech's 980ti was OCed to 1477mhz.

So that's "only" a 10% gain from an OCed 980ti to a stock 1080.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
New Nvidia GTX 666 Plagued By Bloodcurdling Coil Scream

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I honestly can't wait for a price drop on the 1080, the reviews for this are overwhelmingly positive. I think it's got more than enough frames and cores to run any current game for more than 5 years or so.

Even if I'm burning my wallet at this point, it'd be worth it just to buy it now. Polaris might have a card that runs 60-70% performance of a 1080, unless they can make an even faster one with a few more several billion dollars to fund it.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Gonkish posted:

Yeah I'm holding out, I've been using nVidia for the past few generations but I've got a Freesync monitor right now (was a steal). As long as Polaris makes a decent showing and is within striking distance of Pascal, I'll probably switch back to AMD for the first time in years.