Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

monkeytennis posted:

Bloody Hell.

"Just gonna walk that off" "Me too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

As we're posting some oldies, this came up in the AI Mechanical Failures thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

Stationary engine nerds are a whole safety thread by themselves.

first of all this monster should have been secured better,
second this had to be the most terrifying 2 min of this guys life.. I was waiting for a finger to get lost or something.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i was really hoping for a runaway and total carnage while the two dudes bullride a screaming flaming slab of steel

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yet another reason not to eat chicken I guess...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VectorSigma posted:

i was really hoping for a runaway and total carnage while the two dudes bullride a screaming flaming slab of steel

I was waiting for the tank of acetylene getting pushed around by the flywheel to rupture.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I was waiting for the tank of acetylene getting pushed around by the flywheel to rupture.

yeah I was really excited when I heard that thing starting to get ground on by the big rear end flywheel.

really if you search "runaway diesel" on youtube you can lose hours of your workday, so go forth and be unproductive.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

tater_salad posted:

really if you search "runaway diesel" on youtube you can lose hours of your workday, so go forth and be unproductive.

Well... There goes the rest of my day. Productivity ruined.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You'd think a basic safety procedure would be to have some sort of load attached to it, so that if it starts to run away you can channel that torque into something that isn't "accelerate beyond rated speed".

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

razak posted:

Well... There goes the rest of my day. Productivity ruined.

I'm pretty sure someone somewhere tries to use a phone book and it doesn't' work..

Jabor posted:

You'd think a basic safety procedure would be to have some sort of load attached to it, so that if it starts to run away you can channel that torque into something that isn't "accelerate beyond rated speed".
or also have things around to block off the airflow instead of a solo cup or something.

Edit: poo poo I was trying not to watch these videos on the youtube now I"m losing my workday.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

Accelerating beyond rated speed is what a runaway entails, it's sucking in its own engine lube oil for fuel. Doesn't matter much if it's loaded or not, it's going to overspeed until it fails, seizes, or you cut off its air supply or compression. If it's loaded it'll just take longer to get there, except now it's also accelerating the load which is probably even more dangerous. Like if your freight train's prime mover starts running away you sure as hell want to decouple it from the load so it's not driving a train down a track at increasing speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6komyj6AWA

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Add me to the list of people wasting their mornings on runaway diesel videos.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

I'm not sure a runaway diesel is a solvable problem because you are either going to put too high of a hurdle to get it going in the first place with too much load, or else you just have a smaller load that is now accelerating beyond rated speed. And you can't really shift a transmission to have the choice of both because its running away.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Best practice when working on old diesels is to have something that can quickly and easily block the air intake(s) completely. A piece of wood will do, even a damp rag to stuff in the throttle body, but have something ready. Another option is to block the exhaust or even, so I have heard, crimp the exhaust by bending or crushing it.

If you guys killing time with runaway videos haven't seen one yet, search for "train diesel runaway" for something next-level terrifying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zedprime posted:

I'm not sure a runaway diesel is a solvable problem because you are either going to put too high of a hurdle to get it going in the first place with too much load, or else you just have a smaller load that is now accelerating beyond rated speed. And you can't really shift a transmission to have the choice of both because its running away.

I mean, you can have a variable load easily enough. Just hook it up to a generator, which will spin freely until you connect the outputs and make it start actually pumping electrons. As for something to do with all that load, I guess you could try boiling the ocean or something?

It seems like the biggest issue that would cause a hot-bulb engine to run away is that the faster it's going, the more lubricant it's actually burning. So if you keep the speed low it's much more controllable.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Best practice when working on old diesels is to have something that can quickly and easily block the air intake(s) completely. A piece of wood will do, even a damp rag to stuff in the throttle body, but have something ready. Another option is to block the exhaust or even, so I have heard, crimp the exhaust by bending or crushing it.

CO2 fire extinguisher into the intake.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

ReelBigLizard posted:

As we're posting some oldies, this came up in the AI Mechanical Failures thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

Stationary engine nerds are a whole safety thread by themselves.

Does anyone have the version of this set to music? Or was that just a youtubedoubler?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
You can get dynos that are basically impellers driving water from a hose. All you do is turn a knob to restrict the outflow of water and the back pressure loads up the engine. It would be easy to stall a runaway using that. But they're expensive, and like anything, bigger ones are more expensive, and it's not really feasible for most shops, especially if they don't do a lot of engine work.

Standard procedure is to just have a piece of plywood nearby to slam over the intake. Fancy versions have a handle screwed onto them. Like most of the content in this thread, it's a basic safety thing that costs nothing yet is still routinely ignored.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Phanatic posted:

Разнос дизеля тепловоза.
Google Translate says:

Spacing diesel locomotive.

:yayclod:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

Google Translate says:

Spacing diesel locomotive.

:yayclod:

It means "spread" or "spread out", but in this case it's similar to "poo poo hitting the fan"

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I think what really makes a runaway scary is that the oil pump is turned by the motor, so as the engine consumes the oil it causes the rpm to increase and thus spins the oil pump faster increasing the oil pressure, which thus increases the rpm further until either something breaks or the valvetrain is no longer able to close the valves fast enough for more rpm.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Booourns posted:

I think what really makes a runaway scary is that the oil pump is turned by the motor, so as the engine consumes the oil it causes the rpm to increase and thus spins the oil pump faster increasing the oil pressure, which thus increases the rpm further until either something breaks or the valvetrain is no longer able to close the valves fast enough for more rpm.

Couldn't/Shouldn't there be some safety mechanism for the oil pump that if it exceeds a certain frequency it shuts off or is that just causing the death of the engine more quickly?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Maxwells Demon posted:

Couldn't/Shouldn't there be some safety mechanism for the oil pump that if it exceeds a certain frequency it shuts off or is that just causing the death of the engine more quickly?

I guarantee that shut-off mechanism will malfunction and destroy engines more frequently than runaways.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

DoktorVerderben posted:

Saw this on the job today, the lorem ipsum part made me laugh.

We need a sign like this to hang up at work. Like this:

WARNING
JUMPERS INSTALLED FOR TESTING/COMISSIONING
PROTECTIVE CIRCUITS ARE BYPASSED
JUMPERS MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE NORMAL OPERATIONS

Sometimes we need to bypass circuits during testing and comissioning. Like if we're testing a piece of switchgear and there's a permissive circuit (like the status of a valve somewhere) we can fake out the status of that valve to let the switchgear operate. The problem is that's very dangerous if you leave the jumper in place.

We need a big red tag like the "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" ones airplanes have for stuff like pitot tube covers and whatnot.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 18, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ReelBigLizard posted:

If you guys killing time with runaway videos haven't seen one yet, search for "train diesel runaway" for something next-level terrifying.

Use a plank over the intake. A diesel will pull anything soft straight through the exhaust. It will eat a phone book, poo poo it out the back, and keep going. Someone else mentioned a CO2 extinguisher. That will work if there's enough charge to give the machine enough time to stop turning. Hydro-locking the engine will work but it will tear itself apart and ruin it. Best is to make sure that the turbo or head doesn't have an oil leak before turning it over.

Another good option is to run away and just let the engine destroy itself. It's probably hosed at that point anyway. An engine with a redline of 1800 rpm is probably not OK at 8000 rpm. Thank god I've never had it happen to me. I'd be pissing myself if it happened out of nowhere.

Remember, equipment can be replaced, you can't.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Taking this photo got me to (minor) troubles with the Chengguan (or something), but in the end I managed to act innocent enough to let me keep it:

Right next to the Tiananmen square. First I took it for the idea of electric welding without a proper eye/face protection (no masks), but then I noticed the beam on the left.. Besides I have no clue what they do with the barbed wire there. Otherwise suprisingly good protective gear though.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Letmebefrank posted:

I have no clue what they do with the barbed wire there.
They use it to tie off, of course

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Three-Phase posted:

We need a big red tag like the "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" ones airplanes have for stuff like pitot tube covers and whatnot.

That reminds me of the Aeroperu flight that crashed because they used regular adhesive tape to cover the static ports instead of those bright red tags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWpB6ZdSFOU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroper%C3%BA_Flight_603

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They're doing some demo in a big square in my city, this was how they dealt with the safety issue of having a couple guys in a genie lift smashing the gently caress out of a large walkway structure above.

They've got the ground level hoarded up, but not the main floor walkway. So just warn people about FALLING CONCRETE, now you're good.

Also I've only ever seen these "small" genie lifts. They have a bigger version that looks identical just scaled up that's doing work on an 11th floor window. I had no idea they could reach so high.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

Baronjutter posted:

Also I've only ever seen these "small" genie lifts. They have a bigger version that looks identical just scaled up that's doing work on an 11th floor window. I had no idea they could reach so high.

We use a Genie lift sometimes where I work, it's basically a hand-cranked forklift. The company makes a lot of different lifting devices.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Letmebefrank posted:

Taking this photo got me to (minor) troubles with the Chengguan (or something), but in the end I managed to act innocent enough to let me keep it:

Right next to the Tiananmen square. First I took it for the idea of electric welding without a proper eye/face protection (no masks), but then I noticed the beam on the left.. Besides I have no clue what they do with the barbed wire there. Otherwise suprisingly good protective gear though.

That is very likely to stop protestors climbing up the structure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Totally TWISTED posted:

1. Wear gloves.

2. Handy ladder!

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Baronjutter posted:

They're doing some demo in a big square in my city, this was how they dealt with the safety issue of having a couple guys in a genie lift smashing the gently caress out of a large walkway structure above.

They've got the ground level hoarded up, but not the main floor walkway. So just warn people about FALLING CONCRETE, now you're good.

Ahahaha! I work extensively on these and larger boom lifts. Never mind the caution sign, every boom lift ever has a sticker on the basket saying not to exceed a side force of like 100N (~23lbs). Using them for aerial demolition is insanely dangerous.

Also the largest boom lifts go 185' (17 stories) high.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Is that in Victoria? If it's the square I'm thinking of, awesome - Wannawafel is amazing there. And that's some hilarious OSHA I totally didn't notice there a week ago.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Starring Leonard Nimoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kFNY5zI20

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

In Search Of...Workplace Safety.

Though I'm not really sure Union Carbide is the best company to listen to in order to prevent accidents from happening.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Letmebefrank posted:

The column on the left is obviously cantilevered and meant to be floating in space like that. Note the diagonal member that transfers the load to the bigger column on the right.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Neutrino posted:

The column on the left is obviously cantilevered and meant to be floating in space like that. Note the diagonal member that transfers the load to the bigger column on the right.

It's fine the brown pipe is holding it up.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Totally TWISTED posted:

Don't know why they'd need it. Most protestors that show up at Tiananmen Square are quickly arrested by plain clothes secret police who bundle them up in unmarked vans to be driven off to a secret detention area. Move along comrade nothing to see here.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I'd also like to point out that the workers have their safety lines clipped onto the barbed wire, which I don't think qualify as a safe tie-off anchor. :downs:

But this is China so there's a million more migrant workers where they came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
holy poo poo looking at the picture closer it doesn't even look like the harnesses they're wearing would do much to arrest a fall.