Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

El Hefe posted:

Remember when Alonso had the race of his life and heroically managed to win from like 14th on the grid at Singapore? good times

Remember when button won in canada from 7th? Better times somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

fernando choosing an F1 team for 2014

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that was the worst race won by the biggest fraud.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that was the worst race won by the biggest fraud.

Moooooooodddddddssssss

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Williams running a 1993-esque wing in testing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I wish they'd run a 1994esque steering rack

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

track day bro! posted:

You shut your dirty whore mouth right this instant.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Moooooooodddddddssssss

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
I heard big Pastor is being signed to replace poois can anyone confirm?

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Next year cars will look real good, probably means poo poo racing though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
oddly enough, he's pirelli's new test driver and will actually be in a Mercedes this year.

Sauber and Force India are getting salty about the new engine rules and have written a letter to the FIA. Usual stuff but it looks like the EU anti-competition thing they brought against Bernie is falling apart or at the very least under a big pile of paperwork, presumably where it will remain until Bernie is dead.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It was better because at one point Button was in last place

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Poois also hit his teammate in that race. See a bit of a pattern there.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

It was better because at one point Button was in last place

Mind gamed Sebaddriver Fraudtel on the last lap :allears: Are Butts, the best Butts :britain:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It seems like sebastian honestly goes to pieces or at least cries on the radio every time another car tries to pass him or even comes within a foot. Get rid of the blue flag rules completely and watch him never win another race.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Aqualung posted:

I hope they crash into each other an absurd amount of times and Max somehow becomes WDC.
Actually this would be agreeable.

Then Mercedes drop the team because they don't get results anymore, and Dacia buy the factory (good news!)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Put him in a Ferrari and watch him never win another race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd take a thousand years of Mercedes-Reich over another shitcrappen win.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

AgentJotun posted:

Brundle must have been watching a different pass attempt, because I also thought Ricciardos pass attempt was pretty reckless. Martin does have a bit of a hard on for Dan though.

It reminded me of Villeneuve at Jerez '97. He was very far back. Vettel wasn't wrong; had he not accommodated Ricciardo it's very likely they'd have collided.

The result was good for the sport, even if Max is a petulant little poo poo. His dad is also a oval office.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is a lot like like having to decide between having herpes or chlamydia.

I blame Honda. If they had not totally hosed up and used last generation technology in their engines we would be watching nando and Jenson fight it out for the championship, and none of this Rosberg Vs Lewis Vs Young Max horse poo poo, and how the fruck Kimi ended up second in 2016 I don't know and it's a chuffing shameful thing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I blame Honda. If they had not totally hosed up and used last generation technology in their engines

can we please not do the reddit thing where grandprix69.net writes something and we all just go "welp guess that settles it then"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
? They did though. Next race they will be the only team without this new special injection thingie in whatever they call the V6 part of the power unit, the fact that they are not tootling along behind the manors and are able to get into Q3 without it speaks volumes about how good the rest of the car is and is a big what could have been.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

? They did though. Next race they will be the only team without this new special injection thingie in whatever they call the V6 part of the power unit

oh ok i must've missed that press release

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just to clarify here, TJI only affects the speed and completeness of combustion. It's not a silver bullet and its unclear exactly who has it other than Ferrari and probably Renault. Mercedes hasn't confirmed or denied either way.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Just to clarify here, TJI only affects the speed and completeness of combustion. It's not a silver bullet and its unclear exactly who has it other than Ferrari and probably Renault. Mercedes hasn't confirmed or denied either way.

right, exactly. and i don't understand the mentality of taking all these rumors and whispers and just deciding that they are 100% true and crafting your own reality. it's exactly that bubble of delusion that makes reddit so preposterously poo poo. the honda engine is bad, we know it's bad, we know they are redesigning it for next year. we can do without jumping to the conclusion that we have somehow divined the exact reason it's bad. i don't think that's asking a lot.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is the Honda engine actually underpowered or is it just such an unreliable shitbox that they never can run with it turned up at all

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Honda said their poo poo turbo in the engine V is too loving small so yeah it's down on power and being an unreliable shitbox.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok, I didn't know if the power would be comparable to a Merc or something if both were turned all the way up in the five seconds before it exploded. Although it doesn't really matter I guess.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

1500quidporsche posted:

We know that Red Bull have it because Mario Illien designed it for them, Renault works are getting it next race in exchange for a 2017 contract with RB.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's still hard to complain TOO much about mercedes' dominance considering they were the only team to understand the new regulations would be engine dominated. ferrari and honda specifically tried to build the most compact engine possible to maximize aero performance. renault just didn't invest any money into their engine program and red bull didn't seem to notice or care until it was too late. it's just abject failure on everyone's part.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My uninformed opinion / guess is that just now it's a bit too thirsty and they've worked out the best fuel load / power output compromise they could for now. Further guessing says their "clean sheet" redesign for 2017 is due to fundamental limitations of the current ICE and/or packaging issues.

I'm quite impressed how they've improved from last year. I'm not even really a Mclaren fan, but I'm optimistic for next year considering how for they've come in a short period.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goetta posted:

Is the Honda engine actually underpowered or is it just such an unreliable shitbox that they never can run with it turned up at all

Last year the issue was turbo was too small so any time they got it running reliably it was incredibly fuel hungry and not turning out enough hybrid power. That's been rectified but I suspect bolting a larger turbo onto an engine designed around having a small turbo has brought on its own set of issues.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nando turned his engine all the way up in Russia and put in a stupidly fast lap, but then had to turn it back down again because it had eaten all his petrol.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Last year the issue was turbo was too small so any time they got it running reliably it was incredibly fuel hungry and not turning out enough hybrid power. That's been rectified but I suspect bolting a larger turbo onto an engine designed around having a small turbo has brought on its own set of issues.

they seem to be dealing with layers and layers of dumb poo poo. most teams have been running these engines consistently since 2014. this is the first year honda has put any reasonable mileage on them. hence why alonso retired due to a drat software glitch last race. the entire package is still being tested.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

We know that Red Bull have it because Mario Illien designed it for them, Renault works are getting it next race in exchange for a 2017 contract with RB.

My takeaway from the TJI stuff is that it just makes combustion more efficient. All things being equal, does this mean it's more fuel efficient? Like could you use 4% less fuel to get the same amount of power?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hasegawa also said they aren't spending any development tokens until they are sure it will give them a decent performance boost.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

dreesemonkey posted:

My takeaway from the TJI stuff is that it just makes combustion more efficient. All things being equal, does this mean it's more fuel efficient? Like could you use 4% less fuel to get the same amount of power?

It has to do with combustion timing and efficency. A spark plug ignites fuel in the center of the cylinder which then burns outwards. TJI is like a high pressure flame thrower that spits out flaming fuel all over the cylinder igniting it all at once, thus capturing more of the energy at TDC.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

they seem to be dealing with layers and layers of dumb poo poo. most teams have been running these engines consistently since 2014. this is the first year honda has put any reasonable mileage on them. hence why alonso retired due to a drat software glitch last race. the entire package is still being tested.

They also started a year later than everyone else with a green development team. Bouillier was right when he said that they should have poached some people with modern F1 experience.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

They also started a year later than everyone else with a green development team. Bouillier was right when he said that they should have poached some people with modern F1 experience.

meh, that's just how the japanese like to do things. boullier should feel lucky that they found any manufacturer willing to give them a works deal, otherwise they're williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Last true deserved British champion, Jackie Stewart about noted fraud, Poois Shamilton.

quote:

It was all emotion. First lap. Desperation. That’s not the way to win, not consistently. Hamilton is to blame. Rosberg is allowed to protect himself. You don’t go for it on the first lap.

It’s just completely wrong. And then to throw the steering wheel out of the car. Probably £30,000-£40,000 of steering wheel. It’s difficult for them to leave Lewis out for a race when they need to win the world championship. But there does need to be discipline.

I would certainly have penalised the driver who made that mistake on the first lap. It would have to be financial. But Lewis is making such a lot of money that it might not be a big penalty to him

• Locked thread