Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

I dunno how they hosed the sound design of Irithyll Dungeon so badly. For a team that's coming off of Bloodborne, throwing in loving jump scares is unbelievably amateurship.

The first time it's okay but the place is tense enough with the Jailers that you really don't need to add that in.

Deified Data posted:

I thought these guys were supposed to alert jailers to your presence and that's why they scream? The one in the area with the patrolling jailers outside definitely does.
I did not know about that. Mainly cause usually the Jailers are between you and the item in most cases and you murder them before triggering it. Where are the screamers exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Are they? I killed every Jailer I came across, and I never had one in range when they screamed.

Yeah, if you evade the jailers as I did by walking behind them through the whole area and slip in there to grab the item, his scream will alert them all to your presence and you'll be overwhelmed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

I did not know about that. Mainly cause usually the Jailers are between you and the item in most cases and you murder them before triggering it. Where are the screamers exactly?

I believe that there's four in total: one at the entrance, one near the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring door, one to the left near the second floor shortcut, and one in the multi-jailer room next to a body with the Xanthous Ashes. The last one is probably what can get you killed, although I personally just cleared everything out with a bow before exploring much.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah if you don't kill the jailers in that downstairs room before you pick up the treasure, they all run into the treasure room.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

I believe that there's four in total: one at the entrance, one near the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring door, one to the left near the second floor shortcut, and one in the multi-jailer room next to a body with the Xanthous Ashes. The last one is probably what can get you killed, although I personally just cleared everything out with a bow before exploring much.
:hfive: Bow buddies

Seriously bows solve almost every encounter for me.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

:hfive: Bow buddies

Seriously bows solve almost every encounter for me.

Dragonrider Bow is a seriously good weapon as far as bows go. I wish that there were more options other than it and the Composite Bow. I've been considering trying out Black Bow of Pharis to see if it's worthwhile, since apparently Dark Arrows can actually home in on targets Affinity-style.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

Dragonrider Bow is a seriously good weapon as far as bows go. I wish that there were more options other than it and the Composite Bow. I've been considering trying out Black Bow of Pharis to see if it's worthwhile, since apparently Dark Arrows can actually home in on targets Affinity-style.

Yeah once I got the Dragonrider it's been my main one. BF's using the Pharis Bow but puncture seems so much better.

Speaking of which in my BF run he decided to go all Luck. He regretted it til I told him to try bleed weapons. Is there any other suggestions for a luck build?

I got Greirat killed in both our games cause I misread something.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

This is from like 6 days ago but I'm quoting it because I think it's cool and thank you for linking it!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Speaking of which in my BF run he decided to go all Luck. He regretted it til I told him to try bleed weapons. Is there any other suggestions for a luck build?

Anri's is about your only option beyond Hollow-infused Bleed weapons. Carthus Curved Sword/Carthus Curved Greatsword are both good. The Spiked Mace is quite solid, and is more or less an instant kill in PVP if you have Carthus Rouge on (R1 -> L2 -> R2 combo will kill anyone who doesn't have insane bleed resistance).

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I really like the brigand twindaggers (in theory). How do I make them least bad? Hollow infusion + spending all my souls on carthus rouge seems like my best bet, since I hear bleed infusion is trash.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vermain posted:

Anri's is about your only option beyond Hollow-infused Bleed weapons. Carthus Curved Sword/Carthus Curved Greatsword are both good. The Spiked Mace is quite solid, and is more or less an instant kill in PVP if you have Carthus Rouge on (R1 -> L2 -> R2 combo will kill anyone who doesn't have insane bleed resistance).

Eh, probably never gonna focus on PvP but still good stuff to consider.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Are the centipede human face things the screamers yall are talking about? I can't remember any screamers. But I'm also deaf.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Are the centipede human face things the screamers yall are talking about? I can't remember any screamers. But I'm also deaf.

Some of the corpses you loot in Irithyll Dungeon let out this loud, spooky scream when you take an item from them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
No there are bodies that look like regular old treasure corpses, but if you take their treasure they scream at you.

e: If you listen carefully the word they are screaming is pooooooooooiiiiiiiiiissssssseeeeeeeee

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

oldpainless posted:

NO TAKE TREASURE

turtlecrunch posted:

No there are bodies that look like regular old treasure corpses, but if you take their treasure they scream at you.

e: If you listen carefully the word they are screaming is pooooooooooiiiiiiiiiissssssseeeeeeeee

OH poo poo I think you're right.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Deckit posted:

NO TAKE TREASURE

MYWIFEGAVEMETHATLARGESHARDICANTBELIVEYOUWOULDTAKETHATAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
(I read through the OP)

Is there a spoiler-free effortpost/guide of changes to Souls veterans? Or should I just use similar builds than in DS2?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

(I read through the OP)

Is there a spoiler-free effortpost/guide of changes to Souls veterans? Or should I just use similar builds than in DS2?

My lack-of-effort-post: Quality weapons are still king, poise is gone, there is no incentive to wear heavy armor

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Vermain posted:

Warden Twinblade is pretty fun too, it blenders PvE pretty effectively and hits decently hard even before the bleed.

eta:

Smol posted:

(I read through the OP)

Straight swords and katanas are better than they ever have been, spears are trash. Pyromancy is decent, sorcery is decent but not until high levels when you can hard invest in it, miracles are trash. Dodging is massively buffed from DS2 and you're expected to dodge a lot, but greatshields are amazing in this game too if you really want to turtle. Poise is gone for players but not for monsters, although there is still a poise stat on the player screen no one knows what it does.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 17, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Smol posted:

(I read through the OP)

Don't sorcerer or faith.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh From.

Look at the description of Sacred Oath.

Tale of the Sun's firstborn (Nameless King), his First Knight (Ornstein?), and the dragonslayer who served both (Ornstein, but then who's the First Knight?)

They really do answer one question and make it so you have to ask another.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Oh From.

Look at the description of Sacred Oath.

Tale of the Sun's firstborn (Nameless King), his First Knight (Ornstein?), and the dragonslayer who served both (Ornstein, but then who's the First Knight?)

They really do answer one question and make it so you have to ask another.

his faithful first knight is Solaire of course, since it a miracle associated with the warriors of sunlight. I have no idea, I doubt Ornstein served Solaire

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Sorcery rocks at 60 int. Just don't get hit ever.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ornstein is his first knight, it says on the Leo Ring.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Then who's the third guy?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Maybe the dragonslayer who once wore the Dragonslayer Armour? Definitely an unknown character, though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

It's YOU! The player!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The only one it could be in the game is Dragonslayer Armour.

Or it's a sloppy writing of which the game has a few.

"The unique swordsmanship of the Watchers does not normally allow for the use of shield. The unique swordsmanship of the Watchers would no allow such a shield, and Hawkwood's very possession of it was telltale of his defeat."

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Smol posted:

(I read through the OP)

Biggest change is probably the lack of poise in favor of hyper-armor, which means you need to be a lot more aggressive and that timing is more important than in DS1/DS2. If you use large weapons, you need time your attacks to utilize your hyper-armor, and if you use smaller weapons you need to stunlock enemies and avoid their hyper-armor.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Maybe they meant dragonslayers, as I assume Ornstein took over the leadership of them, after the nameless king was cast out by Gwyn

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I dunno how they hosed the sound design of Irithyll Dungeon so badly. For a team that's coming off of Bloodborne, throwing in loving jump scares is unbelievably amateurship.

For me it's the invisible hollows dying sound effect in Irithyll proper that's the actual worst bit of sound design "uuuerrrrgghh--uuuuhhh" I loving hate it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Someone's salty.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

Someone's salty.

Fextralife is so loving bad lol

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Straight swords and katanas are better than they ever have been, spears are trash. Pyromancy is decent, sorcery is decent but not until high levels when you can hard invest in it, miracles are trash. Dodging is massively buffed from DS2 and you're expected to dodge a lot, but greatshields are amazing in this game too if you really want to turtle. Poise is gone for players but not for monsters, although there is still a poise stat on the player screen no one knows what it does.
How is dodging buffed, besides by removing Agility? If anything it's seemed wonkier, since From reverted to the old inaccurate leaps that DS1 had instead of the shorter/more accurate rolls of DS2 or the combination of rolling and sidestepping from Bloodborne. Or are you referring to the one ring that gives you more i-frames?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Atreiden posted:

Maybe they meant dragonslayers, as I assume Ornstein took over the leadership of them, after the nameless king was cast out by Gwyn

Ornstein actually left his post to search for NK once all the dragons were dead (which great job with that btw). I guess he could have led the dragonslayers in the interim.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

How is dodging buffed, besides by removing Agility? If anything it's seemed wonkier, since From reverted to the old inaccurate leaps that DS1 had instead of the shorter/more accurate rolls of DS2 or the combination of rolling and sidestepping from Bloodborne. Or are you referring to the one ring that gives you more i-frames?

It's more that a lot of enemies have insanely long combos or highly damaging attacks that'll drain shield stamina, so rolling is usually the better option. If the Poise news is true, then rolling is actually worse than it was in previous games, Bloodring aside.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

ChaosArgate posted:

Someone's salty.

Try tears but then...

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Smol posted:

(I read through the OP)

The biggest changes from DS2 I can think of are...

Poise is broken, stay under 70% Equip Load at all times for the good rolls, but always wear something in your armor slots no matter or you will get a huge defense penalty.

Don't go pure magic, it's slow and underpowered, especially early game. I don't think you even get the fun spells till way later in the game. Go pyro if you want magic.

Get your covenant tokens AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, this is critically important unless you want to waste hours and hours of your life farming trash with a minuscule droprate. Collect 30 Concords as Blue Sentinels at and 30 SwordGrass as Watchdogs of Farron, you can start as early as SL10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Note that automatic summon covenants are just straight-up busted for certain people. There's a (sort of) workaround that involves family sharing on Steam, but it's a bit of a hassle to get working properly.