Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

fishmech posted:

might as well say that backup tape is the same as floppy disks

that would be a far more correct comparison as they both at least are magnetic tape, one in a loop one on a radial circle but either way it's still closer than comparing optical film to magnetic storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Smythe posted:

i found pics of it here they are this was a long time ago

lol

when i was in school we recorded radio commercials on 1/2 inch tape and edited them with razors and tape too. it was kinda fun

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well okay mostly just Schmidt is disgusting

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Necc0 posted:

like- who cares if kids 20 years from now don't know what a floppy disk is. that 'shape' meant save and should have always meant save. it was ubiquitous across the entire industry. now everyone's come up with their own asinine constantly shifting icon for save and it's lame

this reminds me of when my professor explained newspapers to the classroom.

like, even if there weren't newspapers (there still are), people would have seen them in movies.

no one needs to explain what horses are to a class of 20 year olds just cause we don't still have horse and buggy.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Well duh everyone's seen that episode of silicon valley

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Progressive JPEG posted:

Well duh everyone's seen that episode of silicon valley

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is that really something that happens in that show

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PleasureKevin posted:

the scene would give you much pleasure, kevin

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PleasureKevin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYTfI0w2rQ

I don't watch the show but this seems like an accurate depiction of The Unicorn Economy

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wait did they composite the actors into the scene

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

wait did they composite the actors into the scene

quote:

Did you shoot the scene with the actors in front of the action or did you work some magic in post?

We did a little bit of combining. We shot the horses getting it on, got that out of the way and then did the dialogue. It wasn't happening entirely when they were talking — that would have been very difficult to coordinate, but they were definitely at the horse place.

How long did it take to get the money shot?

Oh, less than a minute. That's the only thing that's fake is, well, the horses actually go very quickly. So we had to repeat the footage some — not too much, but if you cut it all together, the horse just finishes really fast. It would not go on as long as that conversation Richard and Jack are having in the scene.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so the view of the actors from the rear are composited in, but the shots from the front are shot on location

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
do we have a thread on the new oracle trial yet holy poo poo

also sara jeong :swoon:

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/730429298608209921

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/730451172536909826

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/730451336957825025

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

oh hey this was almost exactly a year ago, cool
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722528&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

i'd necro it but it's archived

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i went ahead and made chapter 2

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Necc0 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722528&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

more like necco it :d:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

while i hate Scroogle, how the gently caress can you copyright an API, absent of any actual code

but AMD can reverse engineer the x86?

however, if you can't copyright an API, can you make a free WoW server?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

while i hate Scroogle, how the gently caress can you copyright an API

veery creatively

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Necc0 posted:

it's okay to let old threads expire and make new threads, not every thread has to be a 6-year 3000-page megathread

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lest we forget the Great YOSPOS Schism

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

while i hate Scroogle, how the gently caress can you copyright an API, absent of any actual code

but AMD can reverse engineer the x86?

amd has one of the few outstanding x86 licenses, simultanously their greatest asset and (likely, no one knows the details of the contract) worst curse, since they would lose the license if they got bought out, so they have to plod along making bad processors instead. it always seemed pretty clear that the only reason amd tried to go arm a couple of years back was to try to pivot into a situation where they could be bought without simultaneously destroying all value

as usual copyright law is not entirely clear-cut, there are most certainly both api's that can be copyrighted and ones that can't. a sufficiently novel and complex api (it may, notably, encode non-trivial engineering details) is of course copyrightable

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766455

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
int start(void); // Copyright (C) 2016 The Management, do not steal

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
int start(void);

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Programmer Humor posted:

int start(void);

you're getting sued into the stone age, punk. I'm gonna rain lawyers on you until you drown.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

amd has one of the few outstanding x86 licenses, simultanously their greatest asset and (likely, no one knows the details of the contract) worst curse, since they would lose the license if they got bought out, so they have to plod along making bad processors instead. it always seemed pretty clear that the only reason amd tried to go arm a couple of years back was to try to pivot into a situation where they could be bought without simultaneously destroying all value

as usual copyright law is not entirely clear-cut, there are most certainly both api's that can be copyrighted and ones that can't. a sufficiently novel and complex api (it may, notably, encode non-trivial engineering details) is of course copyrightable

yee, and i believe they got it in part if not totally because the U.S. govt wouldnt buy x86 stuff if intel was the only supplier

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ok everyone there's gonna be some pretty lomarf stuff at io tomorrow folks. a preemptive cremnob probe is likely warranted.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
cardboard for tablets

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
nexus 14

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google launched spaces, which, as far as anyone can tell, exists solely to show stuff off at google i/o

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cardboard nap pods

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
project butter but for real this time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google forgets everything they announced last year and comes up with an entirely new set of distractions no one will use

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Perplx posted:

project butter but for real this time

project crisco

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Project KY

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

google forgets everything they announced last year and comes up with an entirely new set of distractions no one will use

a massive lawsuit?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

someone somewhere itt a few months back was complaining about how google now on android used to do icons for predictive cards in the notifications (weather was a cloud traffic was a car etc) and then they made all of them a big g making them indistinguishable

well they walked that today at least for me as the primary results had a donkey and the weather is back to a cloud

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

LastInLine posted:

someone somewhere itt a few months back was complaining about how google now on android used to do icons for predictive cards in the notifications (weather was a cloud traffic was a car etc) and then they made all of them a big g making them indistinguishable

well they walked that today at least for me as the primary results had a donkey and the weather is back to a cloud

It might have been me and can confirm, they walked it back a few days ago for me

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

LastInLine posted:

i searched for soccer once, and now i get a little soccer ball when there's a game google thinks i care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

ive had lots of icons there. credit card icon for bills, baseball for baseball, etc

• Locked thread