Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cleaver, you're not entirely wrong about Hermione, but she and Harry aren't a good match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Harry is a good match for approximately nobody.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The thing this thread really needs? Harry Potter shipping discussion.

But seriously, I love that Cleaver's completely wrongheaded reading of the books. They are not at all about being strong at magic, but of course that's what the dude whose identity is defined by his sword hands would think.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Sirius is my favorite" is pretty perfect too though. On the one blade, he can identify with him as a convict and an outcast from his family and society in general, but on the other there's the wish-fulfillment of Harry having a secret, doting godfather after escaping his abusive childhood.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Oh good, I was worried too much time was passing without us being reminded that Allison is too good and pure for this world.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"You don't get the world" at least is 100% insightful and true.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Oh good, I was worried too much time was passing without us being reminded that Allison is too good and pure for this world.

Amazing that we're still talking about the same person who said, and would have tried, to kill a large group of people in a fit of rage. Truly a paragon of kindness and virtue.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
"I don't think there's anything wrong with you" says the perfectly normal looking girl to the guy who doesn't even have hands

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Mikl posted:

"You don't get the world" at least is 100% insightful and true.

As is "there are horrible, horrible perverts online".

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
"Please cleave me. Cleave me in twain!"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

Amazing that we're still talking about the same person who said, and would have tried, to kill a large group of people in a fit of rage. Truly a paragon of kindness and virtue.

It's not about not wanting. It's about wanting, but not doing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

"Please cleave me. Cleave me in twain!"

Alternatively: "gently caress ME WITH A KNIFE"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Gonna go out on a limb and say this is one of the best pages the comic has ever produced.

Parahexavoctal posted:

As is "there are horrible, horrible perverts online".

There's that level, but I'm pretty sure he meant the broader scope.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

It's not about not wanting. It's about wanting, but not doing.

Having a hard time parsing that. Do you mean that by her wanting to do it, but not doing it she's a good person. Because I agree but the only reason a parking lot full of people didn't get a car thrown at them initially was because her boyfriend was right there. If he wasn't and Feral still had the same timing people would be dead.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
She's a good person from Cleaver's perspective, is all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno I think she means well but is extremely naive, with a giant Quixotic streak, and Daniel's comment is a pretty fair assessment.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's funny at this point because Cleaver is basically summarizing what happened last chapter with Mary. A small person who stopped being nice and became a monster. Maybe this conversation is supposed to show that Allison has become a savior figure of sorts to Cleaver and he's really overestimating her morality and the whole scene is unearned. The majority of their encounters have been violent and the one leading up to his imprisonment ended with allison choking him out. She then talks about how the difference between them is the circumstances of their mutations and how she also harbors the sentiments he acted on.

Flashforward to now and here he is equating her to mother Theresa and it's incredibly pretentious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cleaver think of all the bad people you killed too

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno I think she means well but is extremely naive, with a giant Quixotic streak, and Daniel's comment is a pretty fair assessment.

Well that there is a poor conclusion

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Flashforward to now and here he is equating her to mother Theresa and it's incredibly pretentious.

I was trying to figure out what this reminded me of, and now I know.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Me of three days ago, you are a gigantic dumbass

e: I mean I like the last couple of panels pretty well but "You are the only good person in the world :qq:" is just so unsubtle.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 21, 2016

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Me of three days ago, you are a gigantic dumbass

e: I mean I like the last couple of panels pretty well but "You are the only good person in the world :qq:" is just so unsubtle.

I liked that scene better when it was the Patrician talking to Sam Vimes about how common people aren't good anyway.

"Down there," he said, "are people who will follow any dragon, worship any god, ignore any iniquity. All out of a
kind of humdrum, everyday badness. Not the really high, creative loathesomeness of the great sinners, but a sort of
mass-produced darkness of the soul. Sin, you might say, without a trace of originality. They accept evil not because
they say yes, but because they don't say no. I'm sorry if this offends you,'' he added, patting the captain's shoulder,
"but you fellows really need us."

Although if the writing here had been more subtle this would have been a good scene of Cleaver struggling with his crimes - his character is basically the only guy I'm emotionally invested in at this point :v: I'm a sucker for personal realization arcs, Cleaver's life is basically irreversibly cocked up (bad mutation, bad background, bad choices) - Allison's struggle on how to fix the world right doesn't really resonate with me much.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 21, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe Allison should stop flying and compromising her invincibility field around the man made of deadly blade cancer. Just an idea.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe Allison should stop flying and compromising her invincibility field around the man made of deadly blade cancer. Just an idea.

And not risk putting us out of the misery of her existence?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hahaha, I totally forgot about that. That makes this scene kind of amazing.

On the other blade, he's thoroughly restrained enough to not chop up non-invulnerable folk so maybe it's a moot point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Warmachine posted:

And not risk putting us out of the misery of her existence?

It's okay, she'll mutate a tertiary power that brings her back to life three days later.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

It's okay, she'll mutate a tertiary power that brings her back to life three days later.

If they end SFP by ripping off the Wile E. Coyote issue of Animal Man, I'm throwing a riot.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Is it really that weird that Cleaver would think Allison is such a good person? She is probably the only person who visits him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, in itself it's a pretty OK piece of dialogue, it's just when taken in the greater context "You are the only good person in the world" is just terribly cringeworthy, especially right on the heels of the literal example of her being the only good person in her Philosophy class.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
gently caress Clevin.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

EndOfTheWorld posted:

gently caress Clevin.

in a nice way or a mean way?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Who the gently caress names their kid Clevin? Besides psychopaths that want their child to experience many many beatings I mean.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a portmanteau of his two dads' names, Cletus and Kevin.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Redbeard posted:

Is it really that weird that Cleaver would think Allison is such a good person? She is probably the only person who visits him.

no and yes. Allison is definitely the only friendly presence Cleaver has had in his life that wasn't someone trying to use his strength as a tool. But on the flip side she's also the person who has routinely beaten him to a pulp and has even confessed her own dark thoughts to him in the past. For him to glorify her isn't weird, it's the "You're too good for this world" schtick that's grating. It's only compounded by the tendency for the story to downplay Allison's flaws in situations. Compare the last teacher to this new one. One person challenged her beliefs and within a fair number of pages we had a justification for it. Allison doesn't get the human experience and we find out that her carelessness in the past cost someone their life and it rippled down the timeline.

New teacher challenged Allison's belief that other people will act according to her logic and instead of getting feedback on that we jump to this in order to console her ego. Same thing happened last chapter as well; Daphne's roommates called Allison on why it is important for people without super strength to be safe at a party, instead of having to confront it she jumps out a window to deal with someone else.

It's a failure of writing at this point but there isn't any real punch to scenes anymore. If things look bad for Allison she can take the moral high ground and whisk herself off to someone more troubled than her.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

paragon1 posted:

Who the gently caress names their kid Clevin? Besides psychopaths that want their child to experience many many beatings I mean.

I don't disagree, but apparently real people have the name, so I guess someone does :shrug:

I was previously mislead into thinking it was actually popular because the search autofiltered it to Calvin. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

COCK.

BLOCKED.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

COCK.

BLOCKED.

Possibly Allison's going to learn that "saved him from a fire" is a terrible basis for a relationship.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

Possibly Allison's going to learn that "saved him from a fire" is a terrible basis for a relationship.

Or other guy is gonna go all "Nice Guy" on her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wow, none of the characters in the comic ever evoked real pity from me. Poor Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Stormgale posted:

Or other guy is gonna go all "Nice Guy" on her.

That's kind of the vibe I get they're setting up from Clevin. :shrug:

• Locked thread