Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

SciFiDownBeat posted:

mass effect (the series) owning is an unspoken assumption of this thread

mass effect 1 however will always have a special place in my heart

it was a hell of a thing at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

SciFiDownBeat posted:

mass effect (the series) owning is an unspoken assumption of this thread

mass effect 1 however will always have a special place in my heart

After grabbing all the DLC in a sale like a year ago I'm finally plodding through ME3 properly, doing all the side quests and stuff, and decided to replay through the series to make a perfect import state.

Mass Effect 1 really was something special. Even though I know it inside out and despite all it's flaws the title screen still gives this feeling of mystery and adventure, I think it's the music.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

However, Mass Effect, all of it, owns.
Counterpoint: While most of Mass Effect does own, many parts of it are in fact very bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even the worst parts of Mass Effect still own, and I am sorry that you are unable to see this.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there are more than a few parts of mass effect the series that are bad and do not own. however, putting aside inventory management and hardware limitations, all of mass effect 1 owns imo. the combat only looks bad in comparison to the later installments

Vitamin P posted:

Mass Effect 1 really was something special. Even though I know it inside out and despite all it's flaws the title screen still gives this feeling of mystery and adventure, I think it's the music.

the music in 1 truly was the best of them all, idk what happened. the me1 credits music was absolutely perfect. did EA force them to do orchestral arrangements to appeal to a broader audience? I feel like the electro-synth whatever was part of 1's dna.

also the designs in 1 felt "cleaner" somehow. like in 2 and 3 there seemed to be too much going on with the clothing/armor design and some of the environments. I guess the latter two were going for a more "gritty" feel but 1's aethestic resonates so much more with me

kalel fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 17, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

also the designs in 1 felt "cleaner" somehow. like in 2 and 3 there seemed to be too much going on with the clothing/armor design and some of the environments.
I'm still hooked on ME3 multiplayer, kinda, but the environment is a neverending shitshow of effects obscuring everything onscreen.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
one day there will be a Mass Effect game where all the parts own and are good

the closest so far has been Mass Effect 2, which owned even though some parts were bad

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
One thing I liked about ME1's character designs was that they largely made sense. Armor covered everything, but was still small and light enough you could get mobility. It was form-fitting, but was clearly intended to allow work in a vacuum (including helmets that covered the head). Ashley in particular looked like exactly what she was: a soldier in the field who happened to be female. While character models were pretty limited, idealized, and repetitive, they were at least reasonable for the most part.

Later games I think catered way too much to the male gaze, to their detriment, and went way overboard with the heavy clunky shoulder pad aesthetic.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Later games I think catered way too much to the male gaze, to their detriment, and went way overboard with the heavy clunky shoulder pad aesthetic.

me3 also had gay characters (some of them retroactive) so it was kind a mixed bag in terms of catering to men. me3 also had james vega showing off his big huge muscles all the time. I think me3 was more sexually suggestive in general.

then again me1 had pre-badass liara who was the alien equivalent of an 18yo intern so *shrug*

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

DarkHorse posted:

Ashley in particular looked like exactly what she was: a soldier in the field who happened to be female.
Darling pink paintjob and all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

One thing I liked about ME1's character designs was that they largely made sense. Armor covered everything, but was still small and light enough you could get mobility. It was form-fitting, but was clearly intended to allow work in a vacuum (including helmets that covered the head). Ashley in particular looked like exactly what she was: a soldier in the field who happened to be female. While character models were pretty limited, idealized, and repetitive, they were at least reasonable for the most part.

One little detail I loved about ME1 armor was how helmets had little hoses in the back connecting to the armor. I can't remember if that's even there in 2 and 3, but it stands out in 1 for some reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mass Effect 1 was pretty forward thinking in that Bioware definitely wanted you to please gently caress their hot blue alien space babes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

Darling pink paintjob and all.

Another great part of me1 is putting the strawberry shortcake armor on wrex

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

then again me1 had pre-badass liara who was the alien equivalent of an 18yo intern so *shrug*

I can't play me1 without Don't Stand So Close To Me running through my head anytime Liara pops up in a cutscene.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

exquisite tea posted:

That clip with Saren after Eden Prime is the weirdest most unnecessary sequence in Mass Effect because it's the only thing in the whole game that's totally outside of Shepard's own perspective and doesn't fit at all. I'm guessing the writers realized that without something in there nobody would know who the gently caress Benezia was until about 20 hours into the game and wrote it in.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't there a pre-release Mass Effect Demo that was basically just the Eden Prime and that was the last scene of it, then they just left it in for the game itself?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Even the worst parts of Mass Effect still own, and I am sorry that you are unable to see this.

No part of chasing a dream kid through a dream forest owned in any way.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Anytime I have to run through a slow dumb dream sequence in a video game I curse the devs for not having played Max Payne.

Or worse, they did and thought it was a cool fun scene.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Disagree.

I actually liked the dream sequences a lot. Shep being tortured in his/her dreams by the ghosts of those they couldn't save, no matter what they do? The comrades that they left behind? I viewed it as Shep's PTSD finally starting to show.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

*mordin dies*

dang that sucks.

*rando kid gets zapped*

my DREAMS are HAUNTEDDDD~~~

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the concept of the dream sequence isn't inherently bad but the focus point of it is the loving kid. Later sequences when you hear your Virmire sacrifice, Mordin, or your other comrades that you lost previously were good. But it was still focused around that ugly loving kid and therefore every time it happened it was annoying and brought a halt to any momentum you had going into it.

The only game that I recall having a "good" dream sequence was Max Payne 2, because you didn't have any of that bullshit of falling to your death and they were really short

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dream sequences + star child would've been acceptable if they used squad members instead of Random Earth Kid

like if you imported a save you would get someone who died in me1 or 2. if you didn't import a save you get the kid. that way they can pull the whole "has to appeal to newcomers" thing. all they had to do was divert resources away from the team implementing banshee instakills.

killing two raloi with one stone

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They call me the Butcher of Torfan; you think I get worked up about one dead kid?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

*mordin dies*
NOOOOOO

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Aces High posted:

The only game that I recall having a "good" dream sequence was Max Payne 2, because you didn't have any of that bullshit of falling to your death and they were really short

They also realized that you don't need to slow the player to a crawl. Do nerds only dream in slow motion?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

And they were mindfucks in a somewhat levelheaded game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SciFiDownBeat posted:

me3 also had gay characters (some of them retroactive) so it was kind a mixed bag in terms of catering to men. me3 also had james vega showing off his big huge muscles all the time. I think me3 was more sexually suggestive in general.

What part of this constitutes a "mixed-bag"? Everything they did was to appeal to their forums' kinks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought the interactions with Anderson and Wrex get it across pretty clearly that Saren was a borderline psychopath with a grudge against humans.

Anderson is the worst admiral of all time. Everything he says is alarmist nonsense and wrong.

Kai Leng is worse than any reaper.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

when I said "mixed bag" I meant that it's not catering just to men. there's eye candy for women and gays too. so I mean the intent is mixed rather than the effectiveness (the effectiveness is low)

sassassin posted:

Anderson is the worst admiral of all time. Everything he says is alarmist nonsense and wrong.

Kai Leng is worse than any reaper.

I'd be alarmist too if random assholes went through my cupboards and ate my cereal

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Vitamin P posted:

I still throw on the soundtracks from all the ME games pretty often, even though I haven't replayed any of the games in a couple years at this point. The music was really good.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

*mordin dies*

dang that sucks.

*rando kid gets zapped*

my DREAMS are HAUNTEDDDD~~~

Uh, it wasn't some rando kid. It was the only kid in the galaxy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Eh, the human mind does weird things sometimes.

Also, when Mordin dies, you start hearing his voice in the dreams too. If you downright suck and had Wrex, and a ton of other dudes in ME2 die, you hear all of them.

Remember, when it comes to PTSD, it doesn't matter how strong-willed a person is. Everyone cracks, just a matter of time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Also, when Mordin dies, you start hearing his voice in the dreams too. If you downright suck and had Wrex, and a ton of other dudes in ME2 die, you hear all of them.

Remember, when it comes to PTSD, it doesn't matter how strong-willed a person is. Everyone cracks, just a matter of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4pqgBw_exw

here's what all the voices sound like.

PRETTY CREEPY

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
That filter put on old dialogue is pretty :effort:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

The PTSD sequences make more sense if you lost squadmates on the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2, and in fact many permutations of ME3 are kind of more interesting if certain characters are dead. It's just that people will rarely ever see them because it's very easy to always ace the suicide mission and not having everybody survive involves either not playing the game or deliberately being a dumbass.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Sending Thane into the vents my first time wasn't dumb!

:colbert:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

sassassin posted:

This needs to be emphasized more. Everybody loves Anderson, but he really was wrong the whole time. Like when you're ruthless and renegade and he's telling you what Saren did and you're like "So would I", he backtracks because Saren is a dirty alien so it's worse when he does it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The PTSD sequences make more sense if you lost squadmates on the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2, and in fact many permutations of ME3 are kind of more interesting if certain characters are dead. It's just that people will rarely ever see them because it's very easy to always ace the suicide mission and not having everybody survive involves either not playing the game or deliberately being a dumbass.

Its easy to lose someone on the "hold the line" section if you don't know mechanics.

Really if you ace everything you should have unlocked a tribute to the temp party member that dies in the first 5 minutes of every Bioware game. (Except ME3)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hobbesmaster posted:

Its easy to lose someone on the "hold the line" section if you don't know mechanics.

Really if you ace everything you should have unlocked a tribute to the temp party member that dies in the first 5 minutes of every Bioware game. (Except ME3)

In retrospect, I'm surprised they didn't kill off Anderson then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I think this was more likely to happen before Kasumi was added but now even Mordin will survive assuming most of the squad is loyal and you don't do something like take Grunt and Zaeed with you on the final sequence.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the SM should have just been randomized. Ooop, you died, at least Jack made it. Oh sorry, everyone else died and you failed the mission and your save was deleted so gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

I think this was more likely to happen before Kasumi was added but now even Mordin will survive assuming most of the squad is loyal and you don't do something like take Grunt and Zaeed with you on the final sequence.

I had Mordin die even with the whole squad loyal. In my "Thane in the vents" moment on my first playthrough, I sent Grunt back with the civilians because I figured as a one-man army he'd be able to protect them from whatever ambush was waiting for them along the way, since they talk about needing someone to protect them.

• Locked thread