Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's a QTE really early in Bayonetta that kind of comes out of nowhere and kills you if you fail it, it might be the worst thing I can think of about that entire game (which is great)

instafail Bayonetta QTEs are a notable exception to the "Awesome Platinum QTE" rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's a QTE really early in Bayonetta that kind of comes out of nowhere and kills you if you fail it, it might be the worst thing I can think of about that entire game (which is great)

Bayonetta probably has the worst QTEs I've ever seen in a game. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game but everything about the QTEs and their implementation is about as bad as it can be.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I want to play as, dirty old man, Sully in the Uncharted game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

MinibarMatchman posted:

if it's any consolation I liked playing as doomguy, and doom, more than uncharted 4 but that probably certifies me for the guillotine in games court

I heard new Doom is really good though? SP anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Uncharted 2 has Drake going for "revenge" against the guy he was backstabbing in the beginning already and who basically just did the job they were all hired for without letting Drake gently caress it up

So he's gotta die ofc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

littleorv posted:

I want to play as, dirty old man, Sully in the Uncharted game.

I like to play as Sully in the multiplayer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Are QTE's better when they have no failstate or when they do?

Most of the ones in Bayonetta 2(not all) just gave you extra halos when you do it and if you don't you still get the kill or proceed on with the cutscene if I remember correctly.

Failing QTEs should make your onscreen videogame person look like a dope and earn you less points for your shameful performance

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Stux, please stop.

You brought this on yourself, VideoGames...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776384

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Please do not close this thread. Please do not start silly threads such as that.
Simple rules.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ah, welcome back everyone.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You should probably just take some time and play some video games instead of posting. Might I suggest getting a Wii-U? A ton of fun games on that I know you haven't played :)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Bayonetta probably has the worst QTEs I've ever seen in a game. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing game but everything about the QTEs and their implementation is about as bad as it can be.

Nah, suckerpunches after every enemy introduction cutscene are TOTALLY fair.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
So yeah Persona Q and Prime 3 are pretty alright. I was gonna grab Ace Attorney Trilogy off the eShop since it's on sale, but I was waiting for it to be June so I can get Kirby Planet Robobot and #FE.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Please do not close this thread. Please do not start silly threads such as that.
Simple rules.

You may have won this battle, but the war is not over... And I Will Win The War VideoGames.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In the minutes of downtime, I wrote this

I played around three hours of Diablo II last night, on a whim. It feels better than Diablo III. And I like Diablo III. Here are some serious thoughts, this is a serious post that I will probably put effort into

It's nice to have to stop to consider whether some item on the ground is worth picking up; Diablo III basically eliminated that choice, which is kind of a loss. It makes it more mindless. The latter also has its dropped loot specifically tailored for the character you're playing; generally a good thing, but combined with the increased inventory space, you basically end up picking up every piece of equipment with a yellow name, gently caress what it is, what it's called or what it looks like. I couldn't tell you the generic name for most helms, for example, because I don't even look at the name when deciding what to do with them. In comparison, I could give you the entire line of helmets in Diablo II: cap, skull cap, helm, full helm, great helm, crown, mask, bone helm... Because I actually have to think about it, if only for a second.

In Diablo III, by, say, level five, you're already a spinning tornado of destruction. Every class, by then, has an area-of-effect attack, and you're killing tons of skeletons and zombies and fat zombies and goat men, sending sparks and gibs everywhere. I think it looks too busy, there're too many particle effects, you can barely see your character or living enemies under all of the lights. The game constantly displays distracting text on screen: "Massacre! 26 enemies killed!" Diablo II is much more quiet than that, and I think I prefer it.

That said, Diablo II's leveling system is pretty bad. Putting points into Energy is basically always a bad idea. Putting points into your level 1 skill is basically always a bad idea. Passive skills have harsh diminishing returns per point spent in them. The optimal way to play is to save up your skill points until you're level 18, or 24, or 30, depending on your build, only putting points into the prerequisites to unlock your favourite ability. Same with Strength and Dexterity: enough to wear your equipment, everything else should go into Vitality.

You have to wait until you're 80% through the game before your Barbarian can perform Whirlwind, which is crazy. And, the very worst thing: your melee swings can miss. The game might tell you, "Chance to hit similarly-leveled enemy: 95%" but it's closer to 50% most of the time. Some bad design decisions were made.

But I just prefer the second game's relatively slow combat to the third's explosions of colour. So I guess I'm mostly comparing Diablo II to III right now. I'll keep playing though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

littleorv posted:

Ah, welcome back everyone.

Good Afternoon Goon

I don't have time for videogames today because tomorrow is D&D night and I'm DMing this week. Do any other Games Chat posters play tabletop games?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have gotten back into playing Smash 4, which is good. I wish there was some sort of matchmaking for it though. I'm pretty good but I like to play on the gamepad while doing other things. I feel like I either end up matching with terribad dudes or people who have their special edition gamecube controllers and spend hours studying frame data. The good fights are really good though!

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 17, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

I heard new Doom is really good though? SP anyway.

it's great, I love it, UC4 I loved a little less so though since some parts dragged and I was a bit fatigued near the end. I liked the end boss though, plus the big setpieces like the whole escape downhill/being tied up to a rope being dragged are really good. Both are entirely different but worth playing, especially if you want to see some great grafix + performance. DOOM runs flawlessly and looks great, while UC4 is on another level and is extremely solid 30FPS like 99% of the time.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

PantsBandit posted:

I have gotten back into playing Smash 4, which is good. I wish there were some sort of matchmaking for it though. I'm pretty good but I like to play on the gamepad while doing other things. I feel like I either end up matching with terribad dudes or people who have their special edition gamecube controllers and spend hours studying frame data. The good fights are really good though!

Who is your main/secondaries, PantsBandit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

None of you are free from sin. Do Not think I will forget what happened here this day... Cowards...

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stux posted:

None of you are free from sin. Do Not think I will forget what happened here this day... Cowards...

Yeah no kidding. I'm full of sin.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Who is your main/secondaries, PantsBandit

I have a lot because I hate playing the same characters over and over :)

I guess I would say my real main is Dedede. I also play almost as much as Yoshi and Ganondorf though. Near secondaries would be Little Mac, Toon Link, and Bowser. I like them all! I will pretty much alternate at random.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

None of you are free from sin.
if you buy FFX HD you can solve this problem

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I made someone in LF snap once due to similar things to what Stux is talking about but that guy actually kinda had a point and was actually being picked on while still being an idiot babby.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

That you assume I do not already own it shows you are part of the problem. I am sick of these attacks on my character, on my typing and on my game ownership.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NO WAY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

In the minutes of downtime, I wrote this

I played around three hours of Diablo II last night, on a whim. It feels better than Diablo III. And I like Diablo III. Here are some serious thoughts, this is a serious post that I will probably put effort into

Diablo 1 was a classic and has the best atmosphere but is very rough around the edges and kinda repetitive and mostly completely outdone by D2.

Diablo 2 is great to this day and Diablo 3 is inherently way different.

D3 at launch sucked, but now that they removed the RMAH and made personal drops viable, its pretty good at what it does. Its colorful, you can do bounties and rifts and smash your way to trying to get the loot you want. You have the cube now and ways to mitigate getting hosed by RNG.

The biggest difference between the two is character advancement. In D3 you unlock everything and then can freely flip between abilites and runes based on what you feel like doing. This means you can't gently caress up but also that there's no identity at all. Any max level barbarian can do what any other max level barbarian can do, other than armor abilities and builds that require certain armor, but then you just need to get that armor.

In D2 however each class would have to be built in a certain direction as you went. The downside was that you'd lock yourself into something and couldn't try anything else without leveling another character, and new players would often gently caress up their early stat investment and ruin their build, but in return gave the game more depth and replayability. Also Diablo 2 has lots of weapons which give pretty amazing bonuses and really change your build with skills and ability modifiers in addition to unique affixes.

In D3 the stats are so extremely streamlined (all you want is HP and mainstat pretty much, maybe life on hit) that it really reduces the RPG depth. But they try to make up for it by having more unique affixes and build-defining gear sets.

They're both good games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

That you assume I do not already own it shows you are part of the problem. I am sick of these attacks on my character, on my typing and on my game ownership.
you criticize people's gaming platform choices but True Gamers recognize and appreciate all of the different ways and places to play video games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just kidding I bought FFX/2 remastered because they are both great games and tell good stories if you kind of squint your eyes through the more nonsensical aspects of the plot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Just kidding I bought FFX/2 remastered because they are both great games and tell good stories if you kind of squint your eyes through the more nonsensical aspects of the plot.

Combined, I think FFX and FFX-2 have the strongest gameplay in the series. I love FFXII a whole lot (HD version on PC/PS4/Vita when???) but its combat just isn't as involving.

I hear Lightning Returns has great combat but I haven't played that one yet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you criticize people's gaming platform choices but True Gamers recognize and appreciate all of the different ways and places to play video games

This is a fallacy... That u would even entertain this as proper ideology is indicative of your mindset and approach to the subject. Let me be the one to educate u:

The quality of a video game itself is subjective... therefore all games are good and own...

The quality of hardware is objective... There fore all bad hardware must be removed to allow the good hardware to become universal, so that all games are available in one place for all players. This is much the same as capitalism and communism. I hope you understand better now and will refrain from making such bad and idiot statements in the future...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Stux posted:

i'm an immaculate angel who loves to game with god

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you have a subjective view of the PC however, false gamer

i will pray for u

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The best system was the loving Dreamcast!!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

re: ludditenarrative dispensary

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the best system was probably the gamecube, with n64 right behind

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

Diablo 1 was a classic and has the best atmosphere but is very rough around the edges and kinda repetitive and mostly completely outdone by D2.

Diablo 2 is great to this day and Diablo 3 is inherently way different.

I will disagree only insomuch that I think Diablo 2 had the best atmosphere because the art was really great for the time and music was on par with D1 but there were so many more tracks for the locales. D2 Act 2 is still one of my favorite settings in any game. It is the best "generic middle eastern desert palace" ever implemented.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you have a subjective view of the PC however, false gamer

i will pray for u

PC hardware is objectively bad for two reasons: Cost and Windows.

Do not @ me again unless its to apologise and admit your error.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you are a true gamer you will play games at any cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

what if the cost is xbox one...

• Locked thread