Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Takagi-San Ch 29. Aw c'mon, Nishikata can't be that thick, can he? When a girl makes excuses to spend time with you, sidles up to you, and constantly talks about who she likes?

Oh drat it Nishikata. Realize it already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Since the OP hasn't been updated in ages, can anyone maybe give me an idea of what the good new currently ongoing shounen are these days? I'm familiar with stuff like One Punch Man and Toriko. I mean stuff like World Trigger which id somehow never heard of.
I got into Magi a while back and fell out of it at some random point. I just sped through all of World Trigger, good fun, like people mentioned the strengths are great battles subverting (and sometimes directly throwing shade at) shounen expectations but drat are there too many random generic characters for me to keep track of...I think I've finally got like 90% of them straight but every other chapter or so I had to remind myself with a Google search who this random Border guy was and what he did. Makes me wish you could combine Bleach's stylishness with World Trigger's brains. I like it though, it's "smart" battle shounen for the most part
And yeah I'm onboard Helck, though I miss the early chapters and now that it's kind of just a generic fantasy story I'm not as helck crazy

Oh and I tried reading some Big Order for some reason, Jesus Christ I don't think I've ever read a manga that derailed so quickly into a disjointed garbage mess, had to drop that poo poo pretty fast. Which is too bad, I remember Mirai Nikki sucking but I don't remember it sucking as quickly as Big Order just blowing up on the launch pad basically. Is it actually a popular series? How'd it even get an anime? It's like schizophrenia.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My Hero Academia is the latest hot poo poo I'd say. Magi has also gotten fairly good again with its latest arc, if you feel like diving in again though if you didn't get through the long flashback arc I'd forgive you if you don't feel it's worth the trouble.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Takagi-San Ch 29. Aw c'mon, Nishikata can't be that thick, can he? When a girl makes excuses to spend time with you, sidles up to you, and constantly talks about who she likes?

he's like 12

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Black Cover is v. fun and good.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Nate RFB posted:

My Hero Academia is the latest hot poo poo I'd say. Magi has also gotten fairly good again with its latest arc, if you feel like diving in again though if you didn't get through the long flashback arc I'd forgive you if you don't feel it's worth the trouble.

Magi is also in its final arc so catching up is something you can do slowly.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mikl posted:

Black Cover is v. fun and good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Since the OP hasn't been updated in ages, can anyone maybe give me an idea of what the good new currently ongoing shounen are these days? I'm familiar with stuff like One Punch Man and Toriko. I mean stuff like World Trigger which id somehow never heard of.
I got into Magi a while back and fell out of it at some random point. I just sped through all of World Trigger, good fun, like people mentioned the strengths are great battles subverting (and sometimes directly throwing shade at) shounen expectations but drat are there too many random generic characters for me to keep track of...I think I've finally got like 90% of them straight but every other chapter or so I had to remind myself with a Google search who this random Border guy was and what he did. Makes me wish you could combine Bleach's stylishness with World Trigger's brains. I like it though, it's "smart" battle shounen for the most part
And yeah I'm onboard Helck, though I miss the early chapters and now that it's kind of just a generic fantasy story I'm not as helck crazy

Oh and I tried reading some Big Order for some reason, Jesus Christ I don't think I've ever read a manga that derailed so quickly into a disjointed garbage mess, had to drop that poo poo pretty fast. Which is too bad, I remember Mirai Nikki sucking but I don't remember it sucking as quickly as Big Order just blowing up on the launch pad basically. Is it actually a popular series? How'd it even get an anime? It's like schizophrenia.

I don't think it's new, but I'm liking Nanatsu no Taizai. It's not very original, but what it does it does fairly well, with usually clear art and with pretty good pacing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at first the whole sin motif was complete bullshit, as were the crimes they were charged with. but now it looks like those really are each of their fatal flaws.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

at first the whole sin motif was complete bullshit, as were the crimes they were charged with. but now it looks like those really are each of their fatal flaws.

Meh, I still think it's of little consequence to the story. It seems to exisst mostly to make it look deeper and more mysterious than it really is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Meh, I still think it's of little consequence to the story. It seems to exisst mostly to make it look deeper and more mysterious than it really is.

i dont think it has ever pretended to be deep. just that all of the sins are terrible people in some way.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I forgot to mention I was already reading My Hero Academia. I'm not sure where I fell off with Magi, I think I got pretty deep and then just got bogged down and it wasn't as good, I guess maybe now is a good time for a rerun/catchup.
Thanks for the Black Clover and Nanatsu no Taizai tips, I'll check 'em out.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

i dont think it has ever pretended to be deep. just that all of the sins are terrible people in some way.

Except that most aren't really terrible for the most part. They just made a mistake.
But yes, it never pretended to be deep the moment the story began. Probably one of the reasons I like it. It's just a fun simple romp.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention I was already reading My Hero Academia. I'm not sure where I fell off with Magi, I think I got pretty deep and then just got bogged down and it wasn't as good, I guess maybe now is a good time for a rerun/catchup.
Thanks for the Black Clover and Nanatsu no Taizai tips, I'll check 'em out.

Don't forget the Sinbad spin-off series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Except that most aren't really terrible for the most part. They just made a mistake.
But yes, it never pretended to be deep the moment the story began. Probably one of the reasons I like it. It's just a fun simple romp.

for some of them the connection to their supposed sin is rather tenuous, but their innate character flaws remain completely unchanged. my point was that their initial mistake was in most cases incredibly trivial and did not warrant a lifetime of servitude, but they are still very dangerous people who do terrible things on their own. or i guess in king's case, allow terrible things to happen through inaction.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've been teetering on MHA lately. It hasn't gone downhill so much as the author has somehow found a way to stay mired in the same old plot points while simultaneously rushing everything. I still like the fights and the characters, but we seriously need to slow down a bit and actually get somewhere.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
TAKAGI-SANNNNNRRGHGHHHH :argh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New Railgun arc is looking like it's going to be suitably cool/fun/hosed-up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I dunno why railgun always gets so much better stories than index. I guess leaning heavily on the "super science completely divorced from morality" is just plain better than "there are a bunch of secret wizards".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Academy City is an interesting setting that Index makes very little use of, and in fact seems to go out its way to avoid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just wanted to mention that I got to the part in Magi where Aladdin is in that magician city, and the comments on some of these chapters (the ones that discuss the system with non-magicians being oppressed and having their magoi siphoned from them) are absolutely terrifying. Like, there are a bunch of people who unironically are agreeing with these arguments that are obviously intended to resemble stereotypical racist propaganda.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ytlaya posted:

I just wanted to mention that I got to the part in Magi where Aladdin is in that magician city, and the comments on some of these chapters (the ones that discuss the system with non-magicians being oppressed and having their magoi siphoned from them) are absolutely terrifying. Like, there are a bunch of people who unironically are agreeing with these arguments that are obviously intended to resemble stereotypical racist propaganda.

One important life lesson / basic rule of the Internet: Never, ever read the comments.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Couple new chapters of Hatsukoi Zombie. A bit of a cliche ending to the banquet thing, but the latest chapter brings up the disappearing Eve thing that I thought it would eventually. I have this feeling that eventually, when Tarou completes his first love, Eve the spirit will eventually be born as his and Ibusuki's child in the future.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I have this feeling that eventually, when Tarou completes his first love, Eve the spirit will eventually be born as his and Ibusuki's child in the future.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You act like that hasn't been a thing in anime.

Hell, even good series have done it before.

edit: oh look, a Chat Thread Idiots dogpile, how cute.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 31, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

One important life lesson / basic rule of the Internet: Never, ever read the comments.

In this case it's not so much just terrible people being on the internet. I'm used to there being racists and what have you. The disturbing thing in this case is that there were a bunch of comments that were like "hm, the magician chancellor has a pretty good point, never thought of it that way" in response to his lecture on how non-magicians are literal animals. It's one thing to know that bigots exist, but it's another entirely to actively see people being persuaded by the same sort of arguments made by literal Nazis.

Captain Invictus posted:

I know that you're correct about something similar to that having been done before (though I don't think it's been done more than a couple times), but the idea is still so loving bizarre that I started laughing out loud after reading it, reacting like the dude in the images posted, and then seeing those images.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 31, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's more the "spirit/god/whatever wishes to be human and so gets reincarnated as a human baby" that I meant, especially because theyre making it a significant and repeated point that she has a soul now unlike the other first love zombies, and as a major character in a pretty lighthearted series I'd be surprised if they just axed her in the end like any other FLZ. Since this is a supernatural romance series, I went with the idea it will be by her being reborn into the world as a newborn human.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The ghost making the protagonist mad horney is not going to turn into his child. You are very very stupid.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sometimes when you read a manga, the manga also reads you.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It's more the "spirit/god/whatever wishes to be human and so gets reincarnated as a human baby" that I meant, especially because theyre making it a significant and repeated point that she has a soul now unlike the other first love zombies, and as a major character in a pretty lighthearted series I'd be surprised if they just axed her in the end like any other FLZ. Since this is a supernatural romance series, I went with the idea it will be by her being reborn into the world as a newborn human.

i think undertale broke you man

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Did D GrayMan ever get better? It started out pretty cool, but then the big fight against the Noah where everyone barely survived happened and it revealed that "haha but actually the villains you couldn't defeat and barely survived weren't even their final forms" and also the art became a mess and I didn't understand what was happening. I think it went on hiatus after that or something and came back with a different art style? Is it worth picking up again?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

K. Flaps posted:

The ghost making the protagonist mad horney is not going to turn into his child. You are very very stupid.
Flaps, stop being such an antagonistic piece of poo poo just because someone made speculation you don't agree with. It's not an entirely unreasonable idea and has definitely been used in other series including good ones like spirit circle, even if it's not their kid, but her being reincarnated as an actual human in the end is totally possible and honestly I kind of expect it so that it's a happy ending.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Flaps, stop being such an antagonistic piece of poo poo just because someone made speculation you don't agree with. It's not an entirely unreasonable idea and has definitely been used in other series including good ones like spirit circle, even if it's not their kid, but her being reincarnated as an actual human in the end is totally possible and honestly I kind of expect it so that it's a happy ending.

Everytime somebody posts something disagreeing with you you go rabid and call the poster poo poo or blame a nonexistent cabal of posters organizing against you, you are the most antagonistic poster on these forums.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 31, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also it's more likely that she will just disappear, because part of love is learning to let go....

Things can be happy and sad and bittersweet all at the same time, it doesn't need a weird as hell family where you have to explain to your wife that your daughter is really the reincarnation of the spirit of a psychological manifestation of an idealized version of what you thought your childhood crush would look like at the same age you were as a teenager.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Calling kflaps on being an rear end in a top hat again for no reason other than he doesn't like the speculation is not "going rabid", sharky.

Sharkopath posted:

Also it's more likely that she will just disappear, because part of love is learning to let go....

Things can be happy and sad and bittersweet all at the same time, it doesn't need a weird as hell family where you have to explain to your wife that your daughter is really the reincarnation of the spirit of a psychological manifestation of an idealized version of what you thought your childhood crush would look like at the same age you were as a teenager.
Hey, good on you for at least attempting to have a conversation about it instead of NO YOU'RE STUPID AND WRONG. And I can absolutely see that happening too, but with both Taro and Ibusuki treating her more and more as a person with feelings as the series has progressed, I don't think it'll just end with "and their love was completed, so she just fizzles into nothing now, the end". Especially with the ending to the latest chapter suggesting he might try to avoid love altogether to prevent her from disappearing, it makes me think there'll be some attempt to "save" her from the fate of every other love zombie.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Please stop holding a grudge against me for some reason. I'm sorry if calling your speculation about the love interest turning into the kid of the protagonist stupid made you mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Apology accepted.