Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Man, Witcher 3 seems like it should be up my alley (it's like Skyrim but well-written, right?) but for some reason I can't find the motivation to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Stux was banned for the month, so the thread didn't immediately become all about him whenever he posted.

Speaking of which it looks like he has another month so let's all shut up about him until then.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stux posted:

The quality of hardware is objective... There fore all bad hardware must be removed to allow the good hardware to become universal,

Hmmmm, this sounds familiar......

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Stux is generally OK by me but it seemed like he was actively campaigning for a probie today so :shrug:

Anyway I lost my Witcher 3 saves because I did a clean Windows install since the last time I played it and I didn't have them backed up :smith: Trying to decide if I want to do another complete playthrough for the DLC or not. The DLC look like they're really good and I'd rather do them as part of a "full" playthrough if possible, but TW3 is a really long game.

You can start a character at a level appropriate for the dlc. I'd suggest doing that because hearts of stone is amazing and is completely separate from the main game. Playing it might make you want to play the main game again too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Rip Stux, king of shitposting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Man, Witcher 3 seems like it should be up my alley (it's like Skyrim but well-written, right?) but for some reason I can't find the motivation to buy it

It's a good game. I'd say it's less like Skyrim in that it's more character-driven--you play as an established guy with established relationships and a very personal motivation--but otherwise it's definitely well-written, has pretty good combat (in my opinion, some disagree), and a really well-made world. It's good stuff. It's also insanely long so probably only buy it when you're really in for the long haul. Then again, it's episodic enough that you could play it in short chunks over a long period of time and not really feel lost.

Nasgate posted:

You can start a character at a level appropriate for the dlc. I'd suggest doing that because hearts of stone is amazing and is completely separate from the main game. Playing it might make you want to play the main game again too.

Well, that's the thing. Mostly I'm just wrestling with wanting to play the main game again. I actually do want to do that, I loved it the first time through. The only things giving me pause are that I remember it taking forever to feel like my build was really coming into its own, and I remember struggling for money a lot and getting frustrated by that when I wanted to craft some of the good Witcher gear.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Alright I'll keep an eye out for a sale, thanks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh it's on sale now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Risen games for a buck https://www.humblebundle.com/deep-silver-bundle-2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Harrow posted:

It's a good game. I'd say it's less like Skyrim in that it's more character-driven--you play as an established guy with established relationships and a very personal motivation--but otherwise it's definitely well-written, has pretty good combat (in my opinion, some disagree), and a really well-made world. It's good stuff. It's also insanely long so probably only buy it when you're really in for the long haul. Then again, it's episodic enough that you could play it in short chunks over a long period of time and not really feel lost.

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet (waiting to upgrade my PC), but I love the series precisely because Geralt is already such a defined character. I've never been able to get into Bethesda's brand of RPG, though I'll admit that's probably more because I can't stand the combat. Maybe Fallout 4 is different in that regard...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mordja posted:

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet (waiting to upgrade my PC), but I love the series precisely because Geralt is already such a defined character. I've never been able to get into Bethesda's brand of RPG, though I'll admit that's probably more because I can't stand the combat. Maybe Fallout 4 is different in that regard...

The Witcher 3 was like 10 times better than Fallout 4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Has anyone ever noticed how every VOIP server is full of a poo poo ton of empty channels? I was just cruising around, exploring the Teamspeak server browser for a while and realized this. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me sooner back when Ventrilo was popular.

Duh? Who cares? The point is they're there in case somebody logs in and needs them. They don't support dynamic rooms.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Please don't insult The Witcher 3 like that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Andrast posted:

Please don't insult The Witcher 3 like that.

Ok like 100 times or something. Its way better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

"Nuh uh...you can't do cool and innovative things like town management in Witcher 3 now can you? :smuggo:" - Fallout fan that thinks Bethesda can do no wrong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

Fallout 4 kinda left me cold. It seemed like Bethesda wanted to do the defined character protagonist thing and then sort of half-assed it. Combine that with my general dislike for how Bethesda does Fallout games--basically just post-nuclear Elder Scrolls, with much less interactive quest design the original games and New Vegas have--and it's just sort of an okay game at best for me.

I definitely agree that The Witcher games are stronger because Geralt is a defined character. What's kind of cool is that they still manage to offer the player meaningful choices in the quests without betraying the fact that Geralt is who he is.

Tenzarin posted:

Tenzarin posted:

Ok like 100 times or something. Its way better.

Holy poo poo we agree on something

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Bethesda has the tech Doom runs on lying around and they keep releasing Gamebryo RPGs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheScott2K posted:

Bethesda has the tech Doom runs on lying around and they keep releasing Gamebryo RPGs.

I assume part of it is due the scale. Even Rage, while nominally open-world, was tiny compared to a Bethesda world.

I do agree that Gamebryo or whatever they're calling it nowadays belongs in the garbage and they should either start from scratch or license the engine used for Mad Max.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I forgot how bad Rage was for a while there. Good shooting, good tech, and everything else was terrible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

Fallout 4 kinda left me cold. It seemed like Bethesda wanted to do the defined character protagonist thing and then sort of half-assed it. Combine that with my general dislike for how Bethesda does Fallout games--basically just post-nuclear Elder Scrolls, with much less interactive quest design the original games and New Vegas have--and it's just sort of an okay game at best for me.

I definitely agree that The Witcher games are stronger because Geralt is a defined character. What's kind of cool is that they still manage to offer the player meaningful choices in the quests without betraying the fact that Geralt is who he is.

Holy poo poo we agree on something

If you want to see how choppy fallout 4 is, do the silver shroud quest line before you join the railroad. Deacon will mention you are the silver shroud, it is the only point in the game where another person talks about your stuff you do.

Far harbor comes out this week, hate with me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't know why we even have to compare the two. Fallout 4 is an open-world FPS with some light RPG elements, and it does that pretty darn well imo. I thoroughly enjoyed it as an FPS.

The Witcher 3 is the better game I guess if we really have to compare the two but I'm glad I played both.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheScott2K posted:

Mordja posted:

I assume part of it is due the scale. Even Rage, while nominally open-world, was tiny compared to a Bethesda world.

I do agree that Gamebryo or whatever they're calling it nowadays belongs in the garbage and they should either start from scratch or license the engine used for Mad Max.

Yeah IdTech isn't really good for Elder Scrolls / Fallout style games. It does some things well, like letting multiple artists work on a map and use megatextures to pack whatever they want into the maps, but trying to make a huge open world RPG with tons of AI scripting in that engine would be a disaster.

Thing is... gamebryo isn't good either. Gamebryo is the worst piece of poo poo engine I've ever looked at.

I would normally say they should use Unreal or Unity, as everybody should be using one of those two at this point (except DICE because frostbite is okay for what it does) but I'm not real sure you'd want to make Elder Scrolls games in those engines either.

You really need something like the Hero Engine but actually good and supported.

In-house from-scratch game engines are just insanely expensive to develop these days, its almost never worth it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Tell me more

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Honestly if the load times aren't bad and the game looks/runs good I don't mind a loading screen here and there during traversal if that's what's necessary to use a no-poo poo engine owned by Zenimax for the next Fallout. I fast travel everywhere I can anyway.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If only the Fox engine didn't get packed away in a nondescript box in konami's giant warehouse full of decaying properties

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I don't know why we even have to compare the two. Fallout 4 is an open-world FPS with some light RPG elements, and it does that pretty darn well imo. I thoroughly enjoyed it as an FPS.

The Witcher 3 is the better game I guess if we really have to compare the two but I'm glad I played both.

Fallout 4 is carrying the Fallout name and came out after New Vegas, an open-world FPS with great quest design that did justice to Fallout. Fallout 4 stripped back that quest design and has only vestiges of the RPG that was once there and is weaker for it. Fallout 4's actual shooting is better than New Vegas, but everything else is worse.

I think I compare the two because they're ultimately similar setups and because Fallout 4 tried to have a more defined protagonist--you're a parent searching for their child no matter what you do--very shortly after The Witcher 3 did the same thing exceptionally well. Plus, they're both open-world RPGs.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Broseph Brostar posted:

If only the Fox engine didn't get packed away in a nondescript box in konami's giant warehouse full of decaying properties

silent hill noooo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Nah, Fox Engine is pretty cool but it was a huge boondoggle to develop and even develop on, Konami hosed up by not just using Unity / Unreal like everybody else does.

In fact that's a huge part of why MGS5 took so long and why Kojima was let go.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Good grief, this thread got lively. Uh...so...

Anyone else gonna get that TNMT game? I didn't buy Transformers and I'm sorry for it so I pre-ordered this one to make up for it; I hope it's just as good. Platinum's still got a solid track record with me and I love TNMT to pieces. I will, of course, always play as Donatello, who has been my main turtle since the Turtles in Time days. What's everybody else's favorite Turtle?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

No couch coop, may as well not bother making a TMNT game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

Fallout 4 is carrying the Fallout name and came out after New Vegas, an open-world FPS with great quest design that did justice to Fallout. Fallout 4 stripped back that quest design and has only vestiges of the RPG that was once there and is weaker for it. Fallout 4's actual shooting is better than New Vegas, but everything else is worse.

I think I compare the two because they're ultimately similar setups and because Fallout 4 tried to have a more defined protagonist--you're a parent searching for their child no matter what you do--very shortly after The Witcher 3 did the same thing exceptionally well. Plus, they're both open-world RPGs.

melee system took a step back from Skyrim which is just bizarre. If your not in power armor your attacks will get interrupted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, Fox Engine is pretty cool but it was a huge boondoggle to develop and even develop on, Konami hosed up by not just using Unity / Unreal like everybody else does.

In fact that's a huge part of why MGS5 took so long and why Kojima was let go.

Who cares

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It really sucks that Kojima spent a lot of time and money developing a really cool engine and making a great game with it

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Come play Arma 3 with me and I'll introduce you to my internet doggy tamagotchi pets:

If you give them a can of beans, they'll let you pet them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Quiet is still neckbeardy as gently caress and makes me not want to play MGSV when other adults are around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

melee system took a step back from Skyrim which is just bizarre. If your not in power armor your attacks will get interrupted.

Yeah, it's baffling that they couldn't make melee feel good when they actually did a pretty good job of that in Skyrim. It's all very :psyduck:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Anyone else gonna get that TNMT game? I didn't buy Transformers and I'm sorry for it so I pre-ordered this one to make up for it; I hope it's just as good. Platinum's still got a solid track record with me and I love TNMT to pieces. I will, of course, always play as Donatello, who has been my main turtle since the Turtles in Time days. What's everybody else's favorite Turtle?

I think, while I enjoyed Korra and Transformers, I did not enjoy them enough to warrant buying the next licensed thing Platinum does.

I also remember seeing gameplay footage of you travelling through a empty open world thing, and a giant skill menu UI thing that takes up most of the screen to use special attacks that kind of deflated my interest.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I keep forgetting that's even coming out!

I'll probably pick it up when it's on sale or it's gone down in price, but I really like that Platinum referenced the SNES TMNT games when making it (Tournament Fighters and Turtles in Time were my jam). I also love Donnie the most and will probably play exclusively him unless I have to learn the other Turtles to beat the rest of the game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Love Stole the Day posted:

Come play Arma 3 with me and I'll introduce you to my internet doggy tamagotchi pets:

If you give them a can of beans, they'll let you pet them.

We need a word other than "play" for games like Arma and DCS. "Participate," maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everybody

what's everybody up to

• Locked thread