Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The game became infinitely more "casual" when they listened to raiders more, because for most raiders levelling is a chore to be gotten out of the way.

1-60 in WoW was horrible for a long time, and changing it so that it takes a tenth of the time was a huge plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Groovelord Neato posted:

while that second part is true the first part definitely isn't considering wow has nothing close to bard or enchanter.

No.

A Bard twisting four songs in combat, which is by far the highest actions per minute activity/class in EQ, still doesn't come close to the attention required in post-Vanilla WoW by any DPS class in a raid setting, to say nothing of how much complex and manic healing and tanking are in WoW. Enchanters were never particularly mechanically complex, they just had ridiculously powerful abilities given how NPCs scaled in the game. WoW fight mechanics also involve a ton of positioning, movement, and positional awareness skill that EQ never did.

I was a nerdlinger who raided in both EQ and WoW at their respective peaks, and EQ was never at any point as mechanically difficult as WoW.

What EQ was, and is if you want to go check out an old school emulator server, is loving harsh. Losing experience on death, being able to lose entire levels through the penalty, NPC threat mechanics meaning you couldn't just run away a short distance to break threat and that if someone else ran aggressive NPCs past you you'd end up dead if you didn't zone with them, the game world being wide open with no breadcrumbs leading you to where you should go, etc. EQ was unforgiving, it punished failure like an abusive stepdad, but the mechanics of the combat were never particularly hard.

WoW is casual in that it doesn't actively punish you for failure and in that it curates the entirety of the game's content for you, meaning you never really have to figure out where to go or what to do. In terms of gameplay, WoW remains probably the highest skill required MMO out there if you want to do the really high end poo poo, hard mode or whatever they call the highest raiding difficulty these days.

Movie chat: This film looks loving atrocious and I can't wait to watch it while drinking.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I think the internet becoming far easier to use and navigate is the reason for the mystery going away.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also when you play a game for so long that your time ingame is most easily measured in hundreds of days.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah

Freakazoid_ posted:

Beaten to the punch, but I'm posting this anyway because MMOs are my favorite genre and I can't shut up about them:

they were only interesting when they first came about how are they your favorite genre???

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Freakazoid_ posted:

Beaten to the punch, but I'm posting this anyway because MMOs are my favorite genre and I can't shut up about them:

MMOs before WoW were very grindy and punishing, to varying extents. Everquest was arguably the worst. Experience loss on death, de-leveling if you lost too much. Several deaths after reaching the level cap could set you back hours of grinding to reach it again. All of your stuff is left on your corpse when you die. Everyone needed to work in teams after about level 10 or so all the time. There was no such thing as instanced content. Quests were available but they were few and were worth little exp. The main way to progress was pure mob grinding. Even then, some days you'd be lucky to find a group, or lucky there was an open spot to camp at, depending on the server pop. End-game content was shared in an open world, so guilds had to abide by a community approved calendar just to avoid conflict. In one particular case, whole servers would get up in arms if you attempted to kill a certain dragon, because it would forever change a zone's mob and item drop content when you failed.

WoW made it possible to solo to the level cap with relatively light punishment, made end-game accessible to casual players, and used instances liberally, all while still being challenging and looking really good for its time. It was revolutionary, but also began the decline of MMORPGs being a mysterious open world.

My favorite eq story (never played it) is about thieves removing the stones from boats so they'd go at rocket speed instead of being weighted down. :allears:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
WotLK era WoW was the first MMO I ever played, and I'm completely ignorant of stuff that came before it - is there a good resource I can read up on to understand in more detail about what you guys are saying about how WoW changed MMO design, how it was different from EQ, etc.?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think the best way would be to play a ultima online server to get a taste of how wild things were. I never managed to sink that much time in it, ending up most times as the victim of food poisoning from some rear end in a top hat player.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I sunk a ton of hours into Ultimate Online. That game is the very definition of the kind of gameplay and world that nerds want from a modern MMO. Had player housing, crazy skills, Punishing World PvP, and tame huge rear end dragons to fight for you. That game had crazy highs and lows.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jenny Angel posted:

WotLK era WoW was the first MMO I ever played, and I'm completely ignorant of stuff that came before it - is there a good resource I can read up on to understand in more detail about what you guys are saying about how WoW changed MMO design, how it was different from EQ, etc.?

it just mostly streamlined a lot of stuff - quests were fairly hidden in eq (you'd talk to an npc and they'd have something in [bracketed text] and you'd have to ask them a question with the [bracketed text] to continue), dungeons weren't instanced so stuff you wanted would be "camped" by other players, quests were pretty much only a way to get cool items and not xp in eq. wow was also a lot less punishing - like the other guy said you lost xp when you die in eq and could even lose levels and due to some math errors some levels took twice as much xp as they should have and caused you to lose twice as much, enemies never stopped chasing you until you reached a zone boundary.

uo was much more about player interaction and was an open world. it's kinda of a shame eq's model was the one everyone followed.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

I see people requesting that as a feature in WoW every time an expansion is announced, and yet I think it's the absolute last thing Blizzard will ever add. Hell, I think we'll see races able to switch back and forth between Alliance and Horde (presumably by grinding rep) first.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

1-60 in WoW was horrible for a long time, and changing it so that it takes a tenth of the time was a huge plus.

Vanilla wow levelling? Pretty horrible. Levelling now? If you start a zone at the bottom end of its recommended levels, the quests will be grey by the time you leave. That's also pretty horrible.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Vanilla wow levelling? Pretty horrible. Levelling now? If you start a zone at the bottom end of its recommended levels, the quests will be grey by the time you leave. That's also pretty horrible.

Yeah but it still takes loving forever by the standards of a normal game.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve2911 posted:

I feel like a lot of modern games play like single player MMOs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah they do and for some reason people think it's cool? destiny is just a lovely mmo without the massively part and should've been a bomb.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I blame UbiSoft.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's because they realized the Skinner box model can produce massive investment despite limited development resources.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
putting most of the content behind timesinks is a staple of the modern gaming industry

Even shooters do it. I never saw all the guns in Battlefield 3 because I had to fuckin unlock them and it took forever

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah they do and for some reason people think it's cool? destiny is just a lovely mmo without the massively part and should've been a bomb.

Destiny's levelling is done entirely through its story missions, without grinding.

The endgame grind exists, but that doesn't mean the first 10-15 hours are suddenly not worth buying the game for. People bitch about the lack of content in that game but it's still a drat sight more than most campaign based FPS games.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Making simplistic gameplay use up lots of time is a proud gaming tradition.

Try playing a 90s adventure game and you'll soon be frustrated how much of it is trial and error until you find the right person to lick your cupcake.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Come to think of it, I never did finish King's Quest VI as a child.

The Lucasarts adventure games have aged a lot better than the Sierra ones, which is too bad as the Sierra games were often prettier with more interesting worlds.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dark seed was the most monstrous in terms of trial and error. i doubt anyone beat it without some form of walkthrough.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K82bvaAMemA

If this theme isn't featured in the movie it's loving dead to me.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

they were only interesting when they first came about how are they your favorite genre???

I'm in constant denial that one day I will play another MMO that captures the magic of early Ultima Online.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Steve2911 posted:

Thanks to the level 90 boost in WoD (and the level 100 boost in Legion) that isn't really the case any more.

Also

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCfLn-OgR4g

This is a better trailer than the one for the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
I think that the "game begins at endgame" phenomena is also more of a consequence of MMO lifespan than any pressure in that direction from players. Each expansion has a certain amount of leveling content which players are anticipated to enjoy, then move on to the new crop of endgame content, which is usually expanded by patches. This is because any player not at endgame is, by definition, still occupied with the existing early game content.

(Although new early game content was also added in Cataclysm, as well as heirloom weapons designed to promote revisiting early game content on alts).

Earlier MMOs, to my knowledge, expanded on a similar pattern. The one time I player DAoC, there was already a free boost to 40 or so, whete there was a popular PvP zone. As I understand it, the last and least popular patch added artifact weapons that had to be empowered by a grind equivalent to levelling to the top level; this was hated and servers without it became popular.

I know that the Korean Lineage games, on the other hand, have a system in which only a handful of successful PvP players ever reach top level, with leveling beyond a certain point requiring exponentially more time investment. As I understand it, level doesn't play the same role in combat math as in WoW, though.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 1, 2016

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hodgepodge posted:

(Although new early game content was also added in Cataclysm, as well as heirloom weapons designed to promote revisiting early game content plowing through dungeons without looking at anything but green bars going red on alts).

With the completion loot bags giving stuff way beyond what you would find outside of dungeons, and dungeon quests being transferred INTO the dungeons themselves, there was no reason to ever leave the Looking For Group queue once you hit level 15.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Steve2911 posted:

Define "the standards of a normal game"; a massive scale traditional RPG can definitely take multiple full days worth of play to finish.

THE BAR posted:

With the completion loot bags giving stuff way beyond what you would find outside of dungeons, and dungeon quests being transferred INTO the dungeons themselves, there was no reason to ever leave the Looking For Group queue once you hit level 15.

If your main aim is to level as quickly as possible, yes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If your main aim is to level as quickly as possible, yes.

From what I've seen, people tend to take the easiest route.

Which was the entire point behind heirloom gear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Define "the standards of a normal game"; a massive scale traditional RPG can definitely take multiple full days worth of play to finish.

i've played through new vegas like five times at this point and have the equivalent of 4 days or so of playtime. people play more than that in a month of an mmo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Character videos:

Durotan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VjRo3gnVJU

Lothar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1-gz1WQ7A

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like the guy from Vikings. That's a great show.

You could see a little bit of his Ragnar swagger when he's stabbing the orcs.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

THE BAR posted:

This right here is what ruined WoW for me.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Drifter posted:

I like the guy from Vikings. That's a great show.

You could see a little bit of his Ragnar swagger when he's stabbing the orcs.

You can also hear Ragnar every time he talks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Holyshoot posted:

You can also hear Ragnar every time he talks.

That's pretty great.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
A Russian Dota 2 Tournament had a ~30 minute interview with Duncan Jones and some (new?) footage

https://www.twitch.tv/epicenter_en1/v/66548667?t=57m26s

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is a little clip and it actually looks.... decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KAZcf2cNA

Humour and action mixed up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

This is a little clip and it actually looks.... decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KAZcf2cNA

Humour and action mixed up.
It looks decent because it's from a film that will be good that has been marketed badly. :unsmith:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Looks like someone CG'd over a bunch of dudes LARPing in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Looks like someone CG'd over a bunch of dudes LARPing in the woods.

that's how you make a movie actually

• Locked thread