Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Every time you throw a guy from the rooftop, Alfred calls you on your gauntlet-phone and says something to the effect of "Master Bruce, it was surely a wonderful idea to have every paved surface of Gotham lined with automatic airbags! Now, no matter how high up people fall from, they never die! It's GENIUS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Every time you throw a guy from the rooftop, Alfred calls you on your gauntlet-phone and says something to the effect of "Master Bruce, it was surely a wonderful idea to have every paved surface of Gotham lined with automatic airbags! Now, no matter how high up people fall from, they never die! It's GENIUS!"

Nah - the Batwing just comes and picks them up!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always liked how in Asylum and City, Batman's ledge-takedown automatically puts a tether on the guys' legs so they don't fall to their death, they just flail helplessly.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Speedball posted:

I always liked how in Asylum and City, Batman's ledge-takedown automatically puts a tether on the guys' legs so they don't fall to their death, they just flail helplessly.

Batman wised up after literally throwing a guy from a building onto a christmas tree, it seems.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

thecluckmeme posted:

Batman wised up after literally throwing a guy from a building onto a christmas tree, it seems.

He just had to walk it off. In prison. :smug:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The next two Arkham games need to be the following:

Arkham Beyond, wherein you get to be Terry McGuinness. Jet around in the Bat-car, punch dudes while using your rocket boots, have fun puzzle fights with Inque, and maybe have the Riddler be an insane AI, or some left over remnant of the Riddler's riddles, having placed SO MANY that even the Riddler forgot about them. Maybe have a few other characters floating around as old folks. Bruce in your ear and even Ace the bat hound helping out.

And Arham 66, where you get to have ridiculous, nonserious plots, and the violence of the Arkham games is concealed behind countless WAM! BIFF! and POWS!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I still reckon replacing the Riddler challenges with Bat-training for an Arkham Beyond game would work. Instead of Riddler taunting and getting mad you have Bruce being supportive of you perfecting your skills in a gruff, stoic way. Then when you get the 100% completion for them you get him saying you are truly a good Batman and he has no challenges left for you to complete. Heck use Barbara or Tim or Dick instead and it'd still work.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I still reckon replacing the Riddler challenges with Bat-training for an Arkham Beyond game would work. Instead of Riddler taunting and getting mad you have Bruce being supportive of you perfecting your skills in a gruff, stoic way. Then when you get the 100% completion for them you get him saying you are truly a good Batman and he has no challenges left for you to complete. Heck use Barbara or Tim or Dick instead and it'd still work.

Honestly, I'd actually like to see both. Maybe even have a set up for a million billion riddler challenges and then it turns out they're like forty years old and they've all fallen apart. It'd make a nice difference too, since there's usually different kinds of Riddler challenges you could mix them in with the AR challenges and put them all under the guise of training, with different ones coming from Barbara, some from Bruce, and some from Dick and/or Tim. Ditto even some challenge rooms. Maybe Robin challenges involving skill and dexterity, Barbara's involving thinking detectiving, Bat Challenges involving anything and everything, or maybe being the equivalent of the big milestone challenges.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It could even be a similar thing to the Joker in Return of the Joker - Riddler, now elderly, notices a new bat in town, realises it's not the original but some kid pretending and decides to test his intellect, to make sure he's good enough, that he 'deserves' to have the Great Edward Nigma as his archnemesis.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BioEnchanted posted:

It could even be a similar thing to the Joker in Return of the Joker - Riddler, now elderly, notices a new bat in town, realises it's not the original but some kid pretending and decides to test his intellect, to make sure he's good enough, that he 'deserves' to have the Great Edward Nigma as his archnemesis.

Anything that gets us more Riddler is a good plan in my estimation.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

And Arham 66, where you get to have ridiculous, nonserious plots, and the violence of the Arkham games is concealed behind countless WAM! BIFF! and POWS!

For some reason when I got to "Arkham 66" my brain leaped to a new game that would be a riff on the old "Route 66" TV show, with Batman basically wandering the backroads of the southwest in the Batmobile, occasionally solving crimes and looking real cool. Of course.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

divedivedive posted:

For some reason when I got to "Arkham 66" my brain leaped to a new game that would be a riff on the old "Route 66" TV show, with Batman basically wandering the backroads of the southwest in the Batmobile, occasionally solving crimes and looking real cool. Of course.

This would also be acceptable bat-pursuits.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Wally Wingert is the best Riddler since Frank Gorshin. He just nails it.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I might get some hate for this, but I really liked Jim Carrey as the Riddler. The assault on Wayne manor was a fun sequence and his riddles were actually fairly reasonable as they were presented. He just seemed like he had a lot of fun in the role, too, which really make it likable. "Joygasm" was a little much, but if you make him more The Number 23 Carrey and you'd have a good starting point for the newest run of Batman movies.

Still, I think Michael C Hall would be a great choice of casting. I liked the old fanmade posters and theorizing that happened when TDKR was announced. There was a great idea of having him be an FBI profiler brought into determine the identity of Batman that was particularly good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The only problem with Jim Carrey's Riddler was that the script didn't know what to do with him.

First, he's angry at Bruce Wayne for not funding his brain box thing. Okay.

Following that, he starts sending Bruce Wayne riddles... before he becomes the Riddler. To what end? Ehhh.

Then, he decides to become the Riddler for seemingly no reason because he wants to help Two-Face learn Batman's identity out of nowhere.

Then, he starts growing his own company, Nygmatech, likely as a means of rubbing his success in Bruce Wayne's face. That's fine. He also uses the box on Bruce to learn that he's Batman.

At this point, he invades Wayne Manor with Two-Face and partially blows up the Batcave. Two-Face prepares to kill Bruce, but Riddler is like "No, wait, he needs to solve this last riddle." At this point, he leaves the last riddle which lets Bruce know that Nygma is the Riddler... which would probably mean something if he actually confronted the Riddler at any point in the film prior to this. And this whole final riddle only has any pay-off because Bruce Wayne and Batman just coincidentally happened to be the same person.

Not to mention Riddler's final deathtrap being designed to prove whether Bruce Wayne and Batman can coexist by kidnapping his love interest and Robin. Which doesn't even make sense, because Dick only became Robin about 15 minutes ago.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

On the other hand, the riddler and two face passing the brain sucker 2000 back and forth while giggling like a couple of teenagers with a bong was hilarious.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
While Batman Forever may have been a nonsensical and kinda bad movie it at least was a fun nonsensical and kinda bad movie, and in my book that excuses a lot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hey Scruffy? Looks like we really are Returning to Arkham.

Don't worry, its just a PS4 upgrade for the original AA and Arkham City. They aren't that dumb, yet.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 18, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
XBONE too, but it's a sony ad so they wouldn't use Microsoft's iconography.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Kurieg posted:

XBONE too, but it's a sony ad so they wouldn't use Microsoft's iconography.

Also for PC? Unreal Engine 4 will allow them to make Arkham Asylum and Arkham City so much better... except that I'm replaying City now because this LP convinced me that I needed to be punching thugs as Batman, but also convinced me not to do it with Arkham Knight.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

psivamp posted:

Also for PC? Unreal Engine 4 will allow them to make Arkham Asylum and Arkham City so much better... except that I'm replaying City now because this LP convinced me that I needed to be punching thugs as Batman, but also convinced me not to do it with Arkham Knight.

Because of this thread, I replayed City three times and am now slowly replaying Origins.

It's so baaaaaad. :negative:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Not coming to PC, as far as we know.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Since the games are still playable on modern PCs I'm not sure if they could re-release them without there being bad blood.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Doesn't AA have issues with GFWL? Also if they're reasonably priced and are focused on being smoother mechanical upgrades and maybe feature some inclusion of new poo poo it might actually be good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SpookyLizard posted:

Doesn't AA have issues with GFWL? Also if they're reasonably priced and are focused on being smoother mechanical upgrades and maybe feature some inclusion of new poo poo it might actually be good.

They updated them to remove GFWL in a patch.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

SpookyLizard posted:

If you owned AA or AC on steam when gfwl went under you got the gfwl free GOTY editions free. So they're still entirely playable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GFWL never went under, it's still active. Some miscommunication somewhere made everyone think Microsoft was shutting it down, which was a good thing because it got a bunch of devs to patch it out of their games.

Or maybe Microsoft really was planning to shut it down but changed their minds, same difference really.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

FoolyCharged posted:

If you owned AA or AC on steam when gfwl went under you got the gfwl free GOTY editions free. So they're still entirely playable.

I actually kinda wondered where those came from -- I was operating under the assumption that I had picked them up in some bundle at some point and just wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, I appreciate that they did that because now I get to play the Arkham City DLCs this time around. I also get to earn all my achievements again. I'm a sucker like that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FoolyCharged posted:

And lost all your save files and progress in the meantime. :argh:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not to mention Riddler's final deathtrap being designed to prove whether Bruce Wayne and Batman can coexist by kidnapping his love interest and Robin. Which doesn't even make sense, because Dick only became Robin about 15 minutes ago.

Yeahhh, a choice between batman and Bruce Wayne. That's what that was.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kurieg posted:

Since the games are still playable on modern PCs I'm not sure if they could re-release them without there being bad blood.

You also have to wonder if they'd put in the poo poo that is still making Arkham Knight wonky for a PC experience. The Arkham games are just cursed for PC.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I could never get GFWL to work on my PC anyway. I missed the heyday of Dark Souls 1 because my game couldn't be saved and the online component wouldn't work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wish this was a costume in-game.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

edit: wrong thread!

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 24, 2016

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Kind of a neat side by side comparing the remastered edition vs the "standard" PC version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXmZUtzacU

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is the Remastered one supposed to look worse? I mean, its not just me right? Too much color, blurry background textures, next to no shadows. It just looks so much worse in every way.

Edit: Unless this is some kind of joke video that switched the images.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Scribe13 posted:

Is the Remastered one supposed to look worse? I mean, its not just me right? Too much color, blurry background textures, next to no shadows. It just looks so much worse in every way.

Yeah most of the comparisons are really unfavorable to the remastered version...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Scribe13 posted:

I was just thinking that! Just look at this one.

Somehow they managed to make Hugo's skin look all greasy and clay-like, his eyebrows and beard are way worse and don't react to the light at all, the texture on his lab coat looks like nylon, and you lose the awesome reflection of Bruce's face in his glasses! What on earth.

Edit: It's not a joke where they swapped the images either: Here's this scene from Scruffy's LP of Arkham City. It's definitely the better-looking Hugo from the right.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 24, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Watcing that I began to wonder if they had gotten the labels reversed because the originals look far superior almost every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Don't forget Ghul's tatoos going from being all bright and glowy to looking like he got them painted on.

• Locked thread