Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

The lack of EMA spoilers is quite annoying.

Maro said they start at the end of this month if I'm remembering correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The lack of EMA spoilers is quite annoying.

I was actually talking to my coworker about this just this morning. Kinda weird that there isnt more info on it yet for sure.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was gonna say it's not out for a while, but I guess it's less than a month away now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Literally The Worst posted:

i try to put that kid on tilt by calling them a pussy rear end bitch who can't read the fuckin cards and then smash them 2-0 and pee on them

I didn't realize Michael Jordan played Magic.

For real though, I love going over people's decks after the match and helping them improve their build. The best is when they come up to you later in the event and talk about how much better the deck plays.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

*Little kid taps for R, hesitates before casting Lightning Bolt*

"Shoot it, midget"

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lawnie posted:

*Little kid taps for R, hesitates before casting Lightning Bolt*

"Shoot it, midget"

"Pull that trigger I loving dare you" *stares, puts hands on two untapped islands*

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Entropic posted:

Really though, if you're paired against some newbie kid at a pre-release, your goal should be to make them have fun losing to you.

I always do exaggerated emotions when playing against little kids. "Oh man, that is the BIGGEST CREATURE, I don't think I have anything bigger than that. Cripes." Or be super shocked and amazed when they play their rare. Sometimes they just wanna feel special.

Entropic posted:

Part of the Judge test should be sitting someone down with a newbie at a pre-release to help them with their deck without being condescending or making them feel dumb and without just grabbing their deck and saying "here, I'll show you how to build it". They pass if the newbie says "thank you" enthusiastically and non-sarcastically.

I've actually learned to not go "Oh, "blank and X are easy." when talking about anything magic related. I've been playing for like 16 years and I know Untap, Upkeep, Draw, ect like a pianist knows their favorite musical notes. Saying 'its easy' just tends to make the other person feel like they're not getting it. Patience, patience, patience.

Literally The Worst posted:

i try to put that kid on tilt by calling them a pussy rear end bitch who can't read the fuckin cards and then smash them 2-0 and pee on them

Instead, mock a grinder for not having a fully foiled out deck and not ~committing~ to the sport of Gathering the Magic if you wanna see real tilt. :smuggo:

Zoness posted:

I was actually talking to my coworker about this just this morning. Kinda weird that there isnt more info on it yet for sure.

I preordered a box yesterday without knowing anything. I know I'll be drafting the hell out of regardless. But yeah, some teasers and/or leaked spoilers would be cool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Lord of Hats posted:

For real though, I love going over people's decks after the match and helping them improve their build. The best is when they come up to you later in the event and talk about how much better the deck plays.

That's always fun, you just gotta be careful about how you do it. You don't want to overwhelm them with information or re-do everything for them without explaining anything. I usually try to keep it to a few basic pointers like making sure they have the right number and kind of lands, aren't playing any garbage/sideboard cards maindeck, and aren't leaving bombs or removal in the sideboard that are in their colors.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Lord of Hats posted:

yeah i always remember my first prerelease after i started playing/working at the shop when one of our regulars asked to see my deck and flipped through it and was like 'dickeye hang on we are gonna fix this so you win next round'

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Deckit posted:

I've actually learned to not go "Oh, "blank and X are easy." when talking about anything magic related. I've been playing for like 16 years and I know Untap, Upkeep, Draw, ect like a pianist knows their favorite musical notes. Saying 'its easy' just tends to make the other person feel like they're not getting it. Patience, patience, patience.

Yeah the hardest thing is remembering that they don't know stuff you think of as automatic reflex. You have to actually explain things. And do it in a way that's not pushy. Like instead of of saying "well obviously we're cutting this lifegain card" and yanking it out of their deck you need to say "hmm, this might buy you a turn, but wouldn't a creature also do that just as well most of the time? and a creature would actually be able to help you win the game instead of just not losing. I'd consider maybe running this guy instead.."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

When was the last time Wizards dipped into the Future Sight well? Nessian Courser in Theros?

Llanowar Empath was reprinted in Origins.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GoutPatrol posted:

Llanowar Empath was reprinted in Origins.

Llanowar Empath wasn't futureshifted.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Then just make a common adult dragon. Jeez.

They coulda just made a crippled dragon or a runt dragon or anything they wanted that was just a dumb loving excuse.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Slumbering dragon could be a common. I don't play limited but it seems not good even then.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Very excited for EMA to come out so I can not draft it for $100 a seat because of inevitable supply issues.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've always suspected that the solution to that problem would be to make a cycle of dragons that can only be cast face down, then flipped up later

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they made a repeatable lava axe dragon that sucked but was at common that totally should have been in DTK instead of fates

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
man repeatable is probably the worst euphemism for "shuffles into library" i could have used there

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

mandatory lesbian posted:

they made a repeatable lava axe dragon that sucked but was at common that totally should have been in DTK instead of fates

Maro has explicitly said this exact thing as well as noting that they should have had the OG Dragonlords as the only dragons in FRF in order to make DTK more of a contrast. He's also said that he wishes he'd gone back to creative and changed the world to allow baby dragons.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

whydirt posted:

Maro has explicitly said this exact thing as well as noting that they should have had the OG Dragonlords as the only dragons in FRF in order to make DTK more of a contrast.

That would've felt odd since FRF was a time of dragons.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

FRF was fine w/r/t story and storm count of dragons, DTK was just a miserable failure in flavor by and large. Sarkhan comes back, is temur? Narset gets his spark instead? Ugin doesn't do shitall? Like the conflict in DTK is 'Oh no, dragons!' with no actual impact on anything since in that timeline there would have just been dragons for years anyway, they're only new to the player/Sarkhan. MORE DRAGONS THAN EVER BEFORE. Apparently that meant one dragon in every other pack. If Maro is going to come up with stupid poo poo like 'as-fan' and say 'it isn't your theme if it isn't at common' then he needs to take his own medicine.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

whydirt posted:

Maro has explicitly said this exact thing as well as noting that they should have had the OG Dragonlords as the only dragons in FRF in order to make DTK more of a contrast. He's also said that he wishes he'd gone back to creative and changed the world to allow baby dragons.

It's funny because it's almost the exact same problem as Kamigawa's legendary problem; he spent a bunch of time explaining how FRF had the highest as-fan of Dragons of any set by a fair amount, but that basically meant that most packs had at a dragon in it. Not anywhere near enough to notice a theme after opening 2-3 packs like most people probably do!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Death Bot posted:

It's funny because it's almost the exact same problem as Kamigawa's legendary problem; he spent a bunch of time explaining how FRF had the highest as-fan of Dragons of any set by a fair amount, but that basically meant that most packs had at a dragon in it. Not anywhere near enough to notice a theme after opening 2-3 packs like most people probably do!

If I remember correctly, at the time whydirt agreed with Maro on the asfan excuse.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the funny part is that the as-fan of dragons in dtk is actually lower than the as-fan of legendaries in champions of kamigawa.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

FRF was fine w/r/t story and storm count of dragons, DTK was just a miserable failure in flavor by and large. Sarkhan comes back, is temur? Narset gets his spark instead? Ugin doesn't do shitall? Like the conflict in DTK is 'Oh no, dragons!' with no actual impact on anything since in that timeline there would have just been dragons for years anyway, they're only new to the player/Sarkhan. MORE DRAGONS THAN EVER BEFORE. Apparently that meant one dragon in every other pack. If Maro is going to come up with stupid poo poo like 'as-fan' and say 'it isn't your theme if it isn't at common' then he needs to take his own medicine.

You will be happy to hear that this is pretty much exactly what MaRo said in a later article, reflecting on how DTK went.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Rinkles posted:

If I remember correctly, at the time whydirt agreed with Maro on the asfan excuse.

It's one of those things that sounds good when you picture someone opening a box and pulling multiple mythic, constructed playable dragons, but then it's actually bad when you instead picture some kid buying a pack with a picture of a dragon on it and the word dragon also on it, only for the pack to have 0 dragons.

You would hope that they would put more in, with common being The Rarity You Actually See Cards At, but having a theme be something that won't even show up in most packs once you get past the plastic wrap almost directly means it is not a theme lol

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ShadeofBlue posted:

You will be happy to hear that this is pretty much exactly what MaRo said in a later article, reflecting on how DTK went.

can you link this because I really hate trying to navigate the motherboard any more and I'd love to read Mark "please don't target me with Tivadar of Thorn's enters the battlefield trigger" Rosewater's writings on this.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Zoness posted:

can you link this because I really hate trying to navigate the motherboard any more and I'd love to read Mark "please don't target me with Tivadar of Thorn's enters the battlefield trigger" Rosewater's writings on this.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/state-design-2015-2015-08-24

Mostly just the "we needed a dragon at common" thing. He does also say that he wished he had challenged the lack of baby dragons, and that it was problematic from a player expectation point of view to start with a wedge set, then have a set that has the most dragons in it, ever, and then try to make the third set a DRAGONS! set.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 17, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

as-fan is literally the worst shorthand name they could have developed for the concept

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ShaneB posted:

as-fan is literally the worst shorthand name they could have developed for the concept

what is literally a better name?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sigma-X posted:

Speaking as someone relatively new to Magic, I have no idea what as-fan is supposed to mean.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
It's a polite way to refer to farts.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

How about "average number of cards per pack." They don't need a shorthand name that the public sees, imo. They can use as-fan internally, if that's easier/faster to say, but it's not a phrase that players should see, since it's basically nonsense.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
More like rear end fan.

:butt: :tutbutt: :yosbutt: :buttfame:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bugsy posted:

More like rear end fan.

I have a confession to make. I am Hellsau, and I am an rear end fan.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bugsy posted:

More like rear end fan.

We saw what happened to the last guy who publically declared his rear end fan status. rip

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Soul Glo posted:

Speaking as someone relatively new to Magic, I have no idea what as-fan is supposed to mean.

It was shorthand for "as you fan the pack (and look at all the cards in it), what themes do you see?"

Maro tried to say the 'as-fan' of DTK was fine because even if there were no dragons at common there were cards that 'cared about' dragons. Which, you know, you wouldn't have because there were none in the pack.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The problem Maro missed was that dragons aren't actually that cool. They hardly had any synergy and they weren't really any different than your average flying creature in limited.

Like, the Regent cycle had some interesting potential, but the only one that actually does anything to encourage you to play Dragons is Thunderbreak. It took me a little while to even realize Icefall's third ability only applied to targeting itself.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 17, 2016

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

per-pack average (ppa)

"dragons of tarkir has a ppa of dragons of-" *farts*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You don't even need arcane jargon. Just call it the concentration of a card type. "DTK had a concentration of 1.X dragons opened per pack."

• Locked thread