Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Another big reason I imagine constructed is pushed over limited for new players is that new players, unsullied by years of netdecking and grinding for planeswalker points or whatever, get a kick out of having and maintaining Their Deck, made of Their Cards. That emotional connection drives early involvement in the game, and focusing on limited doesn't really offer the same connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Judd Stackington posted:

One thing that will get people buying introductory product hooked is suddenly finding out one of their cards has tripled in value.

This, opening a 30$ Prime Time was a hell of a cardboard drug

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

If you're talking about the New Player Introduction Decks (or whatever they're called) they used already printed cards that weren't included in the expansion set. Wizards is not going to deliberately design Tibalt-level planeswalkers for newbies to get feelbads with, and all it takes is for one designer to ask, yet again, "Hey what's the worst that could happen if we let them use the graveyard as a resource?"

e: Especially if they keep the low-powered standard environment. I have continuously misevaluated planeswalkers because I compare them to ones from years ago (chandra vs elspeth, sorin vs sorin, etc) and forget that seemingly weak walkers are still way above the power level of the current set.

the difference is that when using the graveyard as a resource, the spells aren't going to say "Return target planeswalker named Chandra to your hand", which would be vague and could apply to multiple cards, it'd be "Return target planeswalker named Chandra, Buddy of Newbies to your hand." the spells that are tutoring and interacting with said planeswalkers will be exclusively used supplementally for that specific card. If the included planeswalker is relatively weak, it's a great tool for helping newer players to get used to playing with them and having easy access to the card type without actually impacting the standard meta. These new Planeswalker Intro Packs are essentially Planeswalker Floaties before they go in the deep end.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

For the uncommon, we are making a permanent that is upgraded if you have the relevant planeswalker on the battlefield. Note that unlike the rare spell, the uncommon is looking for any version of the planeswalker—not just the one that comes in the Planeswalker Deck. 

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah, the uncommon is only interacting if it's on the battlefield. at the uncommon level, that's not what i would call "gamebreaking" as it only serves purpose if you're playing said planeswalker in a constructed deck to begin with. the rare cards are said tutors/graveyard interaction, and those are delegated to that particular pack-in walker.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't think it's particularly hard to design a bad Planeswalker that does something flashy. The only reason it's hard to design Planeswalkers is because they are always balanced for constructed play.

Of course if they were trying to add a non-constructed quality Chandra to the Kaladesh intro pack just for flashiness, Chandra Nalaar, Chandra Ablaze and Chandra, the Firebrand probably all work. :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 17, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I tried to make Krenko work in standard.

He shares a set with Thragtusk, though, which doomed him.

Talarand got by just fine for a bit, though.

I made krenko work in standard, it wrecked so many bant resto thrag decks

Legion loyalist into krenko's command or moggs, into hellraiser goblin into krenko activate krenko into activate krenko burn at the stake for way more than you need.

One of my favourite mono red decks of all time.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
e: i am somewhat intrigued they put another ability on the tutor itself. If they aren't terribad overcosted limited removal it could be interesting.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Huh. So we have Intro Packs, which are probably the most useless thing Wizards put out as a card product, almost (almost) ahead of the free box of poo poo cards you're supposed to give out to new people when you are teaching them Magic.

And they looked at this lovely product and decided....to make another one of it, except with a planeswalker, instead of an over-costed rare on it. Let's hope these will actually be even remotely worth it, because intro packs certainly aren't - poo poo, I wouldn't even use intro packs to, I dunno, introduce someone to the game if they have any plans on actually playing it on a level beyond their kitchen table. Because if they do, then the intro pack is just a waste of money - might as well buy a deckbuilder's toolkit for about the same price and help them build a deck from that stuff.

Actually you know what would be a real good product to introduce players with? Something like the Duel Decks, except they have standard legal cards in them, and some decent cards put into the mix, that the person will be happy to own. Maybe we can make some of those have alternate art and be foiled or something! We can call them "Fight packs". No wait, uuuuh oh! Clash packs, yeah!

...Oh wait.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/3487

This is the stupidest MTG finance thing so far.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

We're through the looking glass people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Obviously there's going to be lots of Riggers in Kaladesh

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

RubberJohnny posted:

It's a figment of your imagination, mtg finance doesn't exist, nor do any of us

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RubberJohnny posted:

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm pre-emptively disappointed at the implementation of Contraptions they decided on for Kaladesh block.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Contraptions wizards please.

Weird hybrid totem armor artifact creature contraptions please wizards.

Please inspire more bitcoin behavior, mtg thread. :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Right but the tutor only finds the intro deck version

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Obviously there's going to be lots of Riggers in Kaladesh

:gary:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenx posted:

Huh. So we have Intro Packs, which are probably the most useless thing Wizards put out as a card product, almost (almost) ahead of the free box of poo poo cards you're supposed to give out to new people when you are teaching them Magic.

And they looked at this lovely product and decided....to make another one of it, except with a planeswalker, instead of an over-costed rare on it. Let's hope these will actually be even remotely worth it, because intro packs certainly aren't - poo poo, I wouldn't even use intro packs to, I dunno, introduce someone to the game if they have any plans on actually playing it on a level beyond their kitchen table. Because if they do, then the intro pack is just a waste of money - might as well buy a deckbuilder's toolkit for about the same price and help them build a deck from that stuff.

Actually you know what would be a real good product to introduce players with? Something like the Duel Decks, except they have standard legal cards in them, and some decent cards put into the mix, that the person will be happy to own. Maybe we can make some of those have alternate art and be foiled or something! We can call them "Fight packs". No wait, uuuuh oh! Clash packs, yeah!

...Oh wait.

Intro decks are perfectly fine for introducing the game and its mechanics to people without being overly complex or intimidating or requiring them to learn deck building right off the bat

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Predictions for Kaladesh:

With mirrodin now no longer mirrodin, this will be their new arifact plane.

ORNITHOPTER will be reprinted and they'll try to put some commons in their to synergize with it so it'll be draftable / limited playable.

Metalcraft will be a returning mechanic.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

RubberJohnny posted:

So, the reason this happened is that maro has been teasing this set for a while with

"It solves a long-standing design issue"

and

"It's bringing back/debuting a mechanic Ive've been trying to do for ages"

So, people assume one of those means contraptions. It quite possible could have contraptions but I'd be shocked if Steamflogger Boss wasn't totally unplayable power level wise.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I'd be more excited about thopter tokens if it wasn't for declaration in stone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When was the last time Wizards dipped into the Future Sight well? Nessian Courser in Theros?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

little munchkin posted:

Draft is only fun for new players if everyone else is new as well. Not being able to tell a good card from a bad card means you get overwhelmed during the draft. Then you lose a bunch while your opponents politely try to pretend that it was hard to win through the three lifegain spells you cast.

Not to mention if you're the one newbie at the draft, you're still reading every card in the pack while everyone else has made their pick and is tapping their fingers on the table impatiently.

Start with constructed, in a non-competitive setting. Once they know how to actually play the game to the point where they don't have to ask what first strike does, they're ready for a pre-release.

Pre-releases tend to be when we see all the kitchen table and beginning players that don't show up for FNM, let alone drafts or game days or GPTs. There's a ton of them and pre-releases are actually a pretty good place for them to learn if you have experienced players who are friendly and willing to give them pointers without being condescending.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Literally The Worst posted:

Intro decks are perfectly fine for introducing the game and its mechanics to people without being overly complex or intimidating or requiring them to learn deck building right off the bat

Yeah, but that's what those free decks with a bunch of commons and a lovely rare are for - to teach the game. They are decent enough at showing the basics of the game, beyond that intro packs are mostly just a waste of money, even more so than Magic usually is.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

When was the last time Wizards dipped into the Future Sight well? Nessian Courser in Theros?

It was supposed to be the big black delve demon for Khans, but then they decided demons weren't on Tarkir.
Then they changed heir mind, but fogot to reprint the FUT card anyway.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Wurzag posted:

I'd be more excited about thopter tokens if it wasn't for declaration in stone

I'm excited about them. Because I have a playset of DiS. And I'm going to take away all of your thopters with them.

That's exciting!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can't wait to enable my opponent's artifact matters cards with DiS

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I sincerely hope that WotC prints just one card in the kaladesh block that references contraptions and the reference is in the flavor text.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

It was supposed to be the big black delve demon for Khans, but then they decided demons weren't on Tarkir.
Then they changed heir mind, but fogot to reprint the FUT card anyway.

Tarkir was a pretty good block, but they really screwed themselves over by caring too much about what flavour said design could or couldn't do. Like, they couldn't design any common dragons because flavour told them there were no baby dragons? Who gives a poo poo, honestly.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Entropic posted:

Not to mention if you're the one newbie at the draft, you're still reading every card in the pack while everyone else has made their pick and is tapping their fingers on the table impatiently.

Start with constructed, in a non-competitive setting. Once they know how to actually play the game to the point where they don't have to ask what first strike does, they're ready for a pre-release.

Pre-releases tend to be when we see all the kitchen table and beginning players that don't show up for FNM, let alone drafts or game days or GPTs. There's a ton of them and pre-releases are actually a pretty good place for them to learn if you have experienced players who are friendly and willing to give them pointers without being condescending.

I love prereleases for this reason. Its really refreshing to see non-competitive people who just wanna have a swell time. :3:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lancelot posted:

Tarkir was a pretty good block, but they really screwed themselves over by caring too much about what flavour said design could or couldn't do. Like, they couldn't design any common dragons because flavour told them there were no baby dragons? Who gives a poo poo, honestly.

Then just make a common adult dragon. Jeez.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Lancelot posted:

Size wise, they're willing to say 3/3 dragons are okay, so they totally could have done
AtarkaGrown-rear end adult dragon with clipped/damaged wings 4GG for a 6/6, maybe with trample
SilumgarFat Dragon 3BB for a 3/3 with lifelink and deathtouch
KolaghanLike the lava axe dragon but worse because :shrug: 5R for a 4/2 with flying and dash for 3RR
Ojutai Studious nerd dragon 3UU for a 2/5 with flying
Dromoka Leader Dragon probably with dandruff scales or something 4WW for a 3/3 with Bolster 1 on enter the battlefield and death

Not to mention some of the commons already there could just be "dragon" instead of whatever they were before. That 4 mana turtle? Could definitely be a dragon.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015

Judd Stackington posted:

One thing that will get people buying introductory product hooked is suddenly finding out one of their cards has tripled in value. Strong play from WotC if that does happen. Hell I unpacked two Nahiris and I've been contemplating mass buying booster boxes and going into business on MagicCardMarket all night.

Further to this, saw the Gift Set in the store today and bought it because I was going to buy the five boosters at some point anyway and The Professor raved about the box. Unpacked a third Nahiri. Also a Declaration in Stone, a Westvale Abbey, a Gitrog Monster, another Relentless Dead and a Thing in the Ice. :psyduck: I'm never going to escape the dopamine-releasing clutch of this game.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

SilumgarFat Dragon 3BB for a 3/3 with lifelink and deathtouch
wanna play fat dragon

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Deckit posted:

I love prereleases for this reason. Its really refreshing to see non-competitive people who just wanna have a swell time. :3:

Part of the Judge test should be sitting someone down with a newbie at a pre-release to help them with their deck without being condescending or making them feel dumb and without just grabbing their deck and saying "here, I'll show you how to build it". They pass if the newbie says "thank you" enthusiastically and non-sarcastically.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenx posted:

Yeah, but that's what those free decks with a bunch of commons and a lovely rare are for - to teach the game. They are decent enough at showing the basics of the game, beyond that intro packs are mostly just a waste of money, even more so than Magic usually is.

nah, its absolutely fine as a step from "this is the barebones version" to "this is the game with a little more complexity than the DUmb Idiot poo poo For Babies version, but not as much as the game when played competitively"

also my shop can only get twenty of those free decks a year from WotC, so there still needs to be something else before you launch someone straight into deckbuilding with a toolkit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

Part of the Judge test should be sitting someone down with a newbie at a pre-release to help them with their deck without being condescending or making them feel dumb and without just grabbing their deck and saying "here, I'll show you how to build it". They pass if the newbie says "thank you" enthusiastically and non-sarcastically.

that should be the l4. if you can do that while explaining banding at the same time, you're an l10 and all judges have to kiss your feet

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

There was also Riddle of Lightning in Journey Into Nyx.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Really though, if you're paired against some newbie kid at a pre-release, your goal should be to make them have fun losing to you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

Really though, if you're paired against some newbie kid at a pre-release, your goal should be to make them have fun losing to you.

i try to put that kid on tilt by calling them a pussy rear end bitch who can't read the fuckin cards and then smash them 2-0 and pee on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The lack of EMA spoilers is quite annoying.

• Locked thread