Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Enola Gay, which I can actually spell correctly, is a B-29. And Memphis Belle is a B-17.

As far as I can tell, B-52s don't have names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Now she wants to know why you don't recognise her and won't return her calls.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Memphis Belle III? Come on, that's just sad. Have some originality, people, it's not like we've run out of names to call things.

Also in all seriousness, I think some military plane names are unofficial? Not sure about that.

e. yeah it looks like even the original Memphis Belle was a nickname and not an official name, the way ships get official names.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 12, 2016

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I would like to congratulate leperflesh for managing to stand out as a pedant in the let's play thread.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

All this cruiser chat is making me want to play Rule the Waves. Has that gotten patched anymore / does anyone have a link to Grey's LP of it?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Leperflesh posted:

Memphis Belle III? Come on, that's just sad. Have some originality, people, it's not like we've run out of names to call things.

Also in all seriousness, I think some military plane names are unofficial? Not sure about that.

e. yeah it looks like even the original Memphis Belle was a nickname and not an official name, the way ships get official names.

Nearly all plane names are unofficial, since there's too drat many of them for the Air Force to care about naming properly. There are exceptions, though-all of the B-2 Spirits, for example, are named Spirit of..., i.e. the Spirit of Kitty Hawk and Spirit of America :eng101:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Enola Gay, which I can actually spell correctly, is a B-29. And Memphis Belle is a B-17.

As far as I can tell, B-52s don't have names.

While they don't have official names, every B-52 definitely has a nose art name that its known by in the Air Force. Most of the names are 50+ years old, but tail number 61-007 was renamed to Ghostrider a few years ago.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nearly all plane names are unofficial, since there's too drat many of them for the Air Force to care about naming properly. There are exceptions, though-all of the B-2 Spirits, for example, are named Spirit of..., i.e. the Spirit of Kitty Hawk and Spirit of America :eng101:

Even the B2 Spirits, which are all Spirit of <State>, aren't quite official, they are just more known because of the publicity stunts they pulled revealing each on in their states with the local governors.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 12, 2016

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

That cruiser engagement took place at 19,000 yards. Destroyer guns aren't going to accomplish much at that range. Naka mounts 7x5.5 inch guns as her main battery (of which only six can fire on the broadside). San Francisco mounts 9x8 inch and Helena 15x6 inch. That's four times the broadside in pure number of guns, never mind the benefits of heavier ones. The Japanese task force's only real hope is close-range torpedo action, which was never likely in what seems like good visibility daylight.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We have come for revenge.

Shame they are in port, and will probably survive.

We have another good day at Ambon.

British resistance at Moulmien is collapsing.

We're making progress in our two fights, and the Allies ran from the base they invaded yesterday.

Possible, but unlikely.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Are you moving troops on Java towards Soerabaja? It doesn't look like the little chits have the marker that indicate they're moving.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Are you moving troops on Java towards Soerabaja? It doesn't look like the little chits have the marker that indicate they're moving.

Yeah - that group coming up from the south - I'm trying to sweep the enemy before me rather than go right for the prize.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, Helena was in that fight? That explains the shitload of hits you took. The Helena was a St. Louis class cruiser and thus had 5 triple six inch turrets.

By comparison, the Sendai Class CL, like Naka, had 7 single turrets and they were smaller. It was more than double outgunned in that fight, to say nothing of the CA.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
800kg AP is the sort of thing that certainly will gently caress with warships, so she might have gone down.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fresh troops and supplies arrive at Luganville, the enemy try and bomb them.

We see the stalemate continue here, I need to check why my troops have low preparedness. (Why is that a word?)

That was a dull day, but lots of people marched a little closer to their next target. And ships are starting to arrive at Singapore in the numbers we need.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Clunk!

One of our ships at Luganville takes a hit.

Then a bomber causes another.

We trade planes again.

Here an attack on an enemy ship ends poorly for us.

This is more like it.

Another unit is destroyed at Moulmien.

Some minor skirmishing today.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
i feel like the lack of torpedoes is going to cost us the war.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
defeatist!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Decoy Badger posted:

i feel like the lack of torpedoes is going to cost us the war.

We should have never put the army in charge of torpedo production.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

goatface posted:

If it was being realistic they'd keep sneaking more Dutch special forces in (by submarine a lot of the time) to be a constant irritant.

Yes, but these are the same people who took out minelaying bombing missions and minelayers in general. Because they made it unfun for Japan.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our subs have been quiet for some time, so its nice to see them in action.

We obliterate the remains of a regiment – clean-up operations continue.

A shock attack takes Moulmien. I'll be sending the carriers and more forces north soon.

We are now ready to push onto Rangoon – well, as soon as the carriers have refuelled anyway. I hope to take the city much more quickly than I took Singapore.

I would really like for that cruiser kill to be real. I've not killed many capital ships in this war.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Light cruisers: still not capital ships. Even heavy cruisers were arguably not capital ships.

That said, it'd be cool to have taken it out. But how many CLs do the allies get?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Four or five dozen probably show up during the war.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
At some point I was going to make a list of all cruiser and above sized ships that were still up for grabs. Is there a list of all ships in the game? I can't find anything in the game files. I swear I saw a pastebin list once.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grumio posted:

At some point I was going to make a list of all cruiser and above sized ships that were still up for grabs. Is there a list of all ships in the game? I can't find anything in the game files. I swear I saw a pastebin list once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_Second_World_War

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nope. We're confined to the pacific theater, and there are tons of ships on that list that never came into the theater.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We take more hits from the shore batteries.

A shock attack silences them.

Down we go!

We need to rest here, but we're killing non combat squads, which is never good for the defender.

Time to get some attack planes down to Luganville, then we can use it to interdict ships moving across from Pearl to Australia.

We trade ships today, while we confirm a destroyer kill.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Them ~6" coastal guns are doing a right number on your merchant marine.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

goatface posted:

Them ~6" coastal guns are doing a right number on your merchant marine.

The true nemesis of this LP.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The ground based planes do something – nothing good, but its better than being bombed.

Our bombers take losses as well, but again, they are doing something. It looks like the airfield has been repaired at last.

Yeah, things are happening.

We hound the retreating enemy forces.

I swear the American bombers are lucky buggers.

We cross a river and shock attack.

Things go better to the south.

In the north, we accept the surrender of the remains of a Corps HQ.

Things flare back into life in Java and China, but we have taken some losses today.

Bloody Americans.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Are the US ships skip bombing? According to Wikipedia B-17s could.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Skip bombing is one of those totally mental, totally metal things about WWII that still amazes me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Notahippie posted:

Are the US ships skip bombing? According to Wikipedia B-17s could.

They can but they are not doing that here.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah their accuracy is amazing considering the height they are bombing from.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
A quick note about the amount of cruisers the allies get. From the manual:

16.1.1 AUTOMATIC SHIP REPLACEMENTS
There are several instances in which replacement ships may be provided as reinforcements
if a ship is sunk during the game. Replacement ships are generated if the option is selected
for the scenario and:
An American CV is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by an Essex-class CV.
An American or Australian CA that is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by a Baltimore-class
CA or a Cleveland-class CL. The replacement class is chosen at random.
Japanese Midget Submarines will be replaced with a Type “D” Midget Submarine
Whenever a replacement ship is created, it will be placed in the reinforcement list and given an
arrival time of at least 450 days from the date the original ship was sunk.

So in theory they get an unlimited amount, assuming Grey Hunter can sink an unlimited amount.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

That's not really unlimited, but still drat impressive! Good info, makes the job harder.

Did Grey get replacements as the USA?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I think he did yes. Although alot of the ships he lost early on were british and thus not included in the "lose one, get one free" package.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

SerthVarnee posted:

A quick note about the amount of cruisers the allies get. From the manual:

16.1.1 AUTOMATIC SHIP REPLACEMENTS
There are several instances in which replacement ships may be provided as reinforcements
if a ship is sunk during the game. Replacement ships are generated if the option is selected
for the scenario and:
An American CV is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by an Essex-class CV.
An American or Australian CA that is sunk prior to 1944 will be replaced by a Baltimore-class
CA or a Cleveland-class CL. The replacement class is chosen at random.
Japanese Midget Submarines will be replaced with a Type “D” Midget Submarine
Whenever a replacement ship is created, it will be placed in the reinforcement list and given an
arrival time of at least 450 days from the date the original ship was sunk.

So in theory they get an unlimited amount, assuming Grey Hunter can sink an unlimited amount.

I thought this got changed in a patch.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Quite possible.
I mean, i've only bought the game around a week ago, so all i have to go on is the soothing lies of the manual that came with the game and the lessons learned from watching Grey Hunter's lp of the Allies

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Nates really suck against good planes.

Our bombers continue to do things.

Another invasion of Tarakan. I wonder if they will stick around this time.

Ooor they could get shelled out of existence, as they only land a fricking base force!

We cause more casualties as the enemy flee north.

Killing a tanker is always good.

Another HQ unit is destroyed. Two divisions are freed up.

We also smash up a unit in the north.

Cleaning up these units is a long task, but a good source of points.

We lost a lot of planes today. We also saw the troops marching to Sangtan cross back over the bloody river into Changsha.

When they lose then thousand men in a shock attack, its not going to be my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

pthighs posted:

Yeah their accuracy is amazing considering the height they are bombing from.

Granted, we don't hear about it much, but the B-17 was designed for this exact job in mind (long range bomber flying out into the ocean, dropping bombs on ships before they can get close to shore). Was it really that much of a waste of time?