Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

my gym just grew in power

Where and how much is membership with Mortal Kombat classes? Are fatalities included in privates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Syphilis Fish posted:

Where and how much is membership with Mortal Kombat classes? Are fatalities included in privates?

No fatalities until blue belt.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Is there a mental illness that specifically results in someone actively wanting to bully innocent friendly people and hurt them, and brag about it, repeatedly, on purpose? He might be mentally ill but at some point the notion of right from wrong comes into it surely?

I don't think Charlie sees it as bullying, he's just doing all he can to generate this delusional narrative of his overall superiority to normal people. Like deep down he knows he's hosed up and dysfunctional, but this is his outlet to prove to himself that these normies aren't better than him. He's also a bit of a oval office but there's no cure for that

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

willie_dee posted:

Is there a mental illness that specifically results in someone actively wanting to bully innocent friendly people and hurt them, and brag about it, repeatedly, on purpose? He might be mentally ill but at some point the notion of right from wrong comes into it surely?

There's all kinds of ways a brain can go wrong. Right and wrong may never enter into it for the person in question. As far as the first question, it's entirely possible for a person to feel an overwhelming need to prove something to themselves and dominating others is one way to do that. Probably some flavor of narcissism or something, but who knows?

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Listening to Nate Quarry talk about the old days at team quest made me kind of want to tell old stories from my gym/coach.

I have a couple about Duane Ludwig hating racists who pretend to be pagan/threatening to knock out every 'amateur mma' fighter in our gym, Brazilian red belts in jitz, being encouraged to ingest bomb making chemicals to cut weight, everyone believing they were prohormones from the same shop realizing it was a hilariously small amount of dianabol, etc. Is anyone interested?

I guess as background, I've been doing amateur mma for like 6 years and was about to go pro when they found a tumor in my adrenal glands, so surgery kind of cut that short for me. Did some time at a lot of different local gyms in my state (which shall remain nameless), trained with some people who were good at one point but probably aren't anymore, spent some time with Greg Jackson, and one time helped send a guy to the UFC (he was summarily beaten).

Eat Bum Zen fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 11, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Listening to Nate Quarry talk about the old days at team quest made me kind of want to tell old stories from my gym/coach.

I have a couple about Duane Ludwig hating racists who pretend to be pagan/threatening to knock out every 'amateur mma' fighter in our gym, Brazilian red belts in jitz, being encouraged to ingest bomb making chemicals to cut weight, everyone believing they were prohormones from the same shop realizing it was a hilariously small amount of dianabol, etc. Is anyone interested?

I guess as background, I've been doing amateur mma for like 6 years and was about to go pro when they found a tumor in my adrenal glands, so surgery kind of cut that short for me. Did some time at a lot of different local gyms in my state (which shall remain nameless), trained with some people who were good at one point but probably aren't anymore, spent some time with Greg Jackson, and one time helped send a guy to the UFC (he was summarily beaten).

never not crazy cartoonish weird gym stories.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup. Give

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, month four of my BJJ adventure commences. Still having a great time with it. I wanted to start staying on after class for the rolling last week, only to discover the extra mat that's normally used for that was in use. Same story this week, unfortunately (I believe it was extra black belt classes on there). Nevertheless, I'm not discouraged, and will just try again next week. I feel like I'm getting a little bit better all the time.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Spill it Zumba Teen

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
here's the one I posted in the UFC thread in response to talk about PEDs. More on what is was like to cut with DNP later

david carmichael posted:

I like that eat bum zed told somebody not to take PEDs if they are competing. Dude showed up to an amatuer mma fight looking like ginger vitor and his opponent was like "er yes just let me ask my coach something" then absconded out the back door and shouted "I HURT MY FOOOOOOOT" as he peeled out of the parking.

I mean he's a great example for how if you have to fight somebody you should absolutely 100% cram whatever chemicals you can get your hands on into your body

david carmichael posted:

He can relate the story better I'm sure. But some guy saw his picture on Facebook (??) and contacted his coach to set up an amateur fight (??) and then eat bum Zen trained very hard and dropped down like 35 pounds with the aid of some cutting supps, then his opponent saw him irl and was like "actually I was kidding, and it was you who was mad, and I am now a pacifist, and you are all immature jerks. Dont @ me" and fled.

And maybe that was the same time he had to cut like an additional 10-15 pounds just to get a fight and ended up in the hospital.

To be fair, I was taking DNP to cut weight which is the exact opposite of something that would enhance my performance, but if someone had given me roids I 100% would have taken as much as I could for as long as I could hide it. I am kind of a hypocritical cock when it comes to my fights.

And this is a good summation of what happened. I was taking DNP (which is a chemical used in WW2 to make explosives but also temporarily makes your body inefficiently use energy) to drop weight for that fight and managed to shoot down ~30lbs from 205 to 175 for the matchup. My last fight I looked like kind of a chubby schlub so the man was very, very confused when weigh ins were happening. The guy was an ex-college quarterback who was always bragging about his "athleticism" and being a real huge piece of poo poo over the internet about wanting to fight me (I was not very well known at the time so go figure) and eventually his coach talked to my coach and my coach told me I could take the fight if I wanted to. So we then scheduled the match for a fight card in MY college town right after school started, in the biggest arena in the city, and sold a lot of tickets.

Then everything david said is basically how it ended. He backed out of the match less than 12hrs after weigh ins, claimed I was trying to bait him into a fight and that he had decided to take the high road (???). Then it turns out I had another opponent I could take at 165 and my coach basically guilted me into cutting an extra 10-15lbs less than 16hrs before the fight. I had been dealing with a nasty staph infection on my knee (coach just told me to wrap it and man up) and treating the poo poo out of it with antibiotics so the cut wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (because of all the vomiting), but by the time we hit fight night I was so dehydrated and pale and deathly looking that every other fighter from my gym decided to stand up to our coach (i was way too much of a wuss) and threatened to not fight if he didn't let me off the hook.

So I was let off the hook, taken to a hospital, and spent a very comfortable night on way too much dilaudid.

edit: I guess it's probably important to mention that we basically worshiped my coach at the time (we now realize he was a dick). A big part of his training strategy back then was seeing how dedicated we were by leaving us alone to spar for hours into the night before showing back up and taking us to dinner. It was a weird place.

Eat Bum Zen fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 12, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Your coach (at the time) told you to just walk off a staph infection? :wtc:

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Neon Belly posted:

Your coach (at the time) told you to just walk off a staph infection? :wtc:

The infection was honestly a saving grace in the 1-2 weeks before the card because it meant I could be excused via doctor from the ridiculous pre-fight cardio training bullshit. We'd do poo poo like ~30 minute sparring rounds with alternating striking responsibilities and 10mins full bore, there would be 30min grappling- 15 with and 15 without small gloves, we'd do piggyback sprints up a hill.

One guy puts mma gloves on and the other puts in his mouthguard. The guy with gloves gets a piggyback ride from the guy with the mouthguard up a steep hill, all the while punching him in the head periodically. It was one of those honor system sparring situations. If you were a real dick to me while I carried you up the hill, you could guarantee I'd do everything to make your run equally hellish. Escalation was an important facet of every type of partner activity if I remember correctly.

e: The best part about those runs was that we were instructed to apply a rear naked choke to the runner at a certain part of the hill (near the top), and there was this silent agreement between all the fighters that we'd only pretend to do it after the tough-guy pair of skinheads both ended up headslamming into the gravel and eating a face full of rock (they might have deserved that for eachother).

Eat Bum Zen fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 12, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Why did you train at this place? It sounds cultish and abusive but it also sounds like your coach is bad on top of all the other stuff

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Why did you train at this place? It sounds cultish and abusive but it also sounds like your coach is bad on top of all the other stuff

I sort of grew up at the gym. I started training from a really young age to learn some basic self defense, and just sort of kept on showing up to practice for the next 6 years. It was definitely cultish, but it's exactly what someone who had never trained anywhere legitimate would think MMA training might look like. On the coach: he's also the promoter and organizer for the only MMA league that matters in the state. Not only did he choose who got to fight at his events, but he also chose our matchups. There's a funny story about him cherrypicking opponents I'll talk about some other time, but rest assured: between our ridiculous cardio, the cherrypicking of poo poo opponents, and the overall quality of amateur MMA, he was able to appear good enough that we figured he was some kind of master strategist. The guy was also way better at fighting than we were.

I never understood what is was like to have a coach that gave a poo poo about me until I met my MT coach ~6 years into training there. It was just loving mindblowing to have her watch my sparring and then give me critique between rounds instead of just doing office poo poo in the background until one of us fell over or vomited.

One of my favorite sparring memories was when I was 18 training for a chuteboxing match, fighting in our hexagon, and coach leaves the room to go send some faxes or print fliers or some poo poo. Except he left the round timer on, which was set to 5 on 1 off. At the time I started developing a horrendous bloody nose, and after something like round 10 I had swallowed so much blood that when my coach finally came back and told us we had a 3 minutes break, i'd been holding down so much vomit by just relentlessly biting down on my mouthguard that removing it to reply to him meant me creating a foot radius puddle of blood and puke. The other guy I'd been training with passed out as soon as he got off the cage (where he'd been leaning while we traded strikes), and the remainder of training was mopping my own terrible vomit-blood slurry off the cage floor.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I sort of grew up at the gym. I started training from a really young age to learn some basic self defense, and just sort of kept on showing up to practice for the next 6 years. It was definitely cultish, but it's exactly what someone who had never trained anywhere legitimate would think MMA training might look like. On the coach: he's also the promoter and organizer for the only MMA league that matters in the state. Not only did he choose who got to fight at his events, but he also chose our matchups. There's a funny story about him cherrypicking opponents I'll talk about some other time, but rest assured: between our ridiculous cardio, the cherrypicking of poo poo opponents, and the overall quality of amateur MMA, he was able to appear good enough that we figured he was some kind of master strategist. The guy was also way better at fighting than we were.

I never understood what is was like to have a coach that gave a poo poo about me until I met my MT coach ~6 years into training there. It was just loving mindblowing to have her watch my sparring and then give me critique between rounds instead of just doing office poo poo in the background until one of us fell over or vomited.

One of my favorite sparring memories was when I was 18 training for a chuteboxing match, fighting in our hexagon, and coach leaves the room to go send some faxes or print fliers or some poo poo. Except he left the round timer on, which was set to 5 on 1 off. At the time I started developing a horrendous bloody nose, and after something like round 10 I had swallowed so much blood that when my coach finally came back and told us we had a 3 minutes break, i'd been holding down so much vomit by just relentlessly biting down on my mouthguard that removing it to reply to him meant me creating a foot radius puddle of blood and puke. The other guy I'd been training with passed out as soon as he got off the cage (where he'd been leaning while we traded strikes), and the remainder of training was mopping my own terrible vomit-blood slurry off the cage floor.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

When I was put in a 'chute boxing' match, it generally meant small gloves, shinguards, and takedowns being scored but also stood up after 10s on the ground. It was my coach's admission that my jitz wasn't good enough to wrestle with whoever my opponents was, but definitely good enough to box him up. I think he was an ex-highschool wrestler.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Friendly reminder: Please wash your loving gi every time you train. I rolled with a guy who stank like Campbell's tomato soup and rancid cabbage today.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

When I was put in a 'chute boxing' match, it generally meant small gloves, shinguards, and takedowns being scored but also stood up after 10s on the ground. It was my coach's admission that my jitz wasn't good enough to wrestle with whoever my opponents was, but definitely good enough to box him up. I think he was an ex-highschool wrestler.

You're thinking of "shootboxing", but I posted that because Chute Boxe was a world-renowned brain damage factory with similar training methods to what you described

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 12, 2016

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're thinking of "shootboxing", but I posted that because Chute Boxe was a world-renowned brain damage factory with similar training methods to what you described

Ah gotcha. I was sort of afraid my coach/promoter had invented a new type of match to make strikers like me feel less poo poo.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do you train at Roufus Sport?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

One of my coaches told me it is OK to be thrown full force with a freshly lanced cyst on my back. This also someone who took a car cigarette lighter to burn ringworm on his leg and also had a heavy bag thrown into his back when he had shingles. He's a great judo coach but not the best at recommending medical advice.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 12, 2016

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
My favourite was when they told me that they clean the mats after every session and when I asked when was the last time the coach remembered it getting cleaned, he said he couldn't even remember. Then I got some nasty fungus on my thigh. And also my tendons didn't turn to steel as promised.

Ohh and also one of the black belts who was the father of one of our best prospects went to a shop that the judo coach owned and shoplifted and was caught by said coach and arrested and was banned from the gym forever (and the shop too obv) and then just came back like a year later like nothing had ever happened and started trying to run class and was telling us we were all bowing wrong and we had to look up at our opponent as we bowed just in case they would attack us so all the wog kids would drop to their knees and press their forehead on the ground when they bowed just to spite him. And one day he gave some advice that the wog kids disagreed with and they heckled him so much and crowded him like some sort of weird gang so he grabbed his poo poo and ran away. Turns out he used to be a high school teacher some kids in class one day crowded around him and yelled and one of em punched him and now had panic attacks when a group of kids walks towards him.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
And one of our olympic hopefuls decided to train elsewhere because the coach wouldnt help him with steroids.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nierbo posted:

My favourite was when they told me that they clean the mats after every session and when I asked when was the last time the coach remembered it getting cleaned, he said he couldn't even remember. Then I got some nasty fungus on my thigh. And also my tendons didn't turn to steel as promised.

Ohh and also one of the black belts who was the father of one of our best prospects went to a shop that the judo coach owned and shoplifted and was caught by said coach and arrested and was banned from the gym forever (and the shop too obv) and then just came back like a year later like nothing had ever happened and started trying to run class and was telling us we were all bowing wrong and we had to look up at our opponent as we bowed just in case they would attack us so all the wog kids would drop to their knees and press their forehead on the ground when they bowed just to spite him. And one day he gave some advice that the wog kids disagreed with and they heckled him so much and crowded him like some sort of weird gang so he grabbed his poo poo and ran away. Turns out he used to be a high school teacher some kids in class one day crowded around him and yelled and one of em punched him and now had panic attacks when a group of kids walks towards him.

Yo, isn't wog a racist slur in Aus?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yes. And most loving places

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah I suppose it is, I'm just desensitized. My bad. I mean 'of middle eastern background'

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
racism is a fact of life

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I didn't think 'wog' it was any more offensive than 'canuck' or 'kiwi', and I thought it referred specifically to Italians

but I just looked it up and I was very wrong

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I thought it referred specifically to Italians

That's "wop," which is also pretty bad.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm surprised you guys read that entire thing.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

That's "wop," which is also pretty bad.

Wop is a funny word and a pretty lame insult if I was told the origins of it correctly. Never heard of a wog though.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
So i've been training bjj for a couple of months now and love it. A month or two ago, after rolling, I started having his really bad pain that felt like it started in the front/cusp of my elbow and radiated out into my bicep and forearm. I couldn't lift my elbow higher than my shoulder and if I tried extending my arm and lifting up, my hand would shake uncontrollably. The pain lasted for 3 or 4 hours and then went away and I was find the next day.

This happened again a couple of weeks ago, except the next day it also hurt when I went to the gym and was trying to lift. I went to my GP because I thought I had torn something or maybe had golfers/tennis elbow, but he said he didn't think it was anything that serious. I rolled again last night and felt the same sort of pain, except now in my other arm, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Today, again I tried going to the gym and couldn't lift because it hurts.

Anyone ever experience something like this? This only happens after I roll, so I don't know if it's because I'm using some muscles I've never used before and I'm over extending or what.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

idontcare posted:

So i've been training bjj for a couple of months now and love it. A month or two ago, after rolling, I started having his really bad pain that felt like it started in the front/cusp of my elbow and radiated out into my bicep and forearm. I couldn't lift my elbow higher than my shoulder and if I tried extending my arm and lifting up, my hand would shake uncontrollably. The pain lasted for 3 or 4 hours and then went away and I was find the next day.

This happened again a couple of weeks ago, except the next day it also hurt when I went to the gym and was trying to lift. I went to my GP because I thought I had torn something or maybe had golfers/tennis elbow, but he said he didn't think it was anything that serious. I rolled again last night and felt the same sort of pain, except now in my other arm, but it wasn't nearly as bad. Today, again I tried going to the gym and couldn't lift because it hurts.

Anyone ever experience something like this? This only happens after I roll, so I don't know if it's because I'm using some muscles I've never used before and I'm over extending or what.

Maybe you should warm up a little bit more before class and wear an elbow brace? Try doing some stretches or shoulder exercises with weights too. Or just take some time to rest and heal. Use ice after class.

I swear by this thing for all of my problems from the elbow down. I get golfer's elbow in my left arm and am possibly developing carpal tunnel or tendonitis in my right hand now, half from my job half from rolling, but this thing definitely helps. Beats getting cortisone shots. And it's fun!
http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-12090-Platinum-Powerball/dp/B0039WDYYA

Edit: If you're into hippie poo poo and vitamins, you can try taking turmeric curcumin daily for inflammation and some fish oil. https://www.nordicnaturals.com/

Omglosser fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 14, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It sounds like the time I had golfer's elbow too. The initial injury came from grappling, but lifting weights on the damaged elbow was making it worse. It would feel fine but then while grappling the pain would return. I took about 3 months off and it didn't trouble me again.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
You haven't injured your upper back in the last few weeks? Like either hyperextended while rolling or strained while lifting?

VVV that's kinda what I was thinking, with the sudden onset and cessation. VVV

ihop fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 15, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

idontcare posted:

This honestly sounds like it could be a disk issue. Talk to an orthopedist or sports medicine PT, GP's don't know poo poo about sports injuries

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
No upper back problems. I'll head to an ortho to get checked out because this sucks.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

One of my coaches told me it is OK to be thrown full force with a freshly lanced cyst on my back. This also someone who took a car cigarette lighter to burn ringworm on his leg and also had a heavy bag thrown into his back when he had shingles. He's a great judo coach but not the best at recommending medical advice.

Did the heavy bag to the back cure his shingles. What was the point of that?

I can see trying to get ringworm to stop itching by burning it but the bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

olylifter posted:

Did the heavy bag to the back cure his shingles. What was the point of that?

I can see trying to get ringworm to stop itching by burning it but the bag?

The bag only amplified the pain but he wanted to increase his pain tolerance from the shingles being bashed. I stopped questioning the logic a long time ago because he is such a great coach and fighter in our club.

I'm moving in July so I will never have to talk to my judo loving(more like ruining) roommate outside of the judo club anymore. It will be nice to watch a movie or play a video game without her asking me if she can practice chokes on me or pop out to tell me more hot judo memes. She still hasn't noticed I don't care about anything she has to say about judo and she turning down good jobs that are heavy in the evening to practice more judo poorly.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 18, 2016

• Locked thread