Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Anyone got leather case recommendations for Pixel Cs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Must Love Dogs posted:

Anyone got leather case recommendations for Pixel Cs?

I have this one, and it's pretty nice:

http://amazon.com/Google-Pixel-Case-ProCase-Compatible/dp/B018HXS30U

It's leather-ish, padded, semi-rigid, capacious enough to fit the tablet + keyboard with a slot for a business card on the inside and a larger pocket on the opposite side.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 5, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, this new Nvidia Shield tablet rumor based on an FCC submission... how long from now could we see the Nvidia Shield X1 tablet?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Got tired of waiting for AT&T to finish carrier validation on my unlocked LTE Shield and went for the ROW version since the hardware is identical.

Works like a champ and I don't have the AT&T crap on there (granted it wasn't much). Even got the 6.0.1 OTA a few minutes after I hooked up to WiFi.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of the Shield, has anyone found a way to move the soft buttons back to their original position in the middle? I'm just being picky, I know, but I hate how they moved them in the newest update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I didn't think I was going to do it, but I broke down and bought the official keyboard for the Pixel C.

And you know what? I'm glad I did. It kinda completes the thing in a way that I didn't realize until I actually used it.

I did have to roll back from N to Marshmallow though. N wouldn't update the keyboard firmware properly and it was really dodgy out of the box.

On Marshmallow though, it updated just fine and seems to be rock solid.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

So, this new Nvidia Shield tablet rumor based on an FCC submission... how long from now could we see the Nvidia Shield X1 tablet?

And I just bought the K1, oh well :suicide:

Anyways, anyone have recommendations on microSD cards? Looking forward to not having to deal with phone storage limitations bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Markovnikov posted:

And I just bought the K1, oh well :suicide:

Anyways, anyone have recommendations on microSD cards? Looking forward to not having to deal with phone storage limitations bullshit.

SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Card 95MB/s Read FFP (SDSDQXP-064G-FFPA)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00Q4X8OTQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463216887&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=SDSDQXP-064G-FFPA

That allows 4K video recording as it's quite fast for an SD card.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

The new rumors are the NX uses a Pascal Nvidea tegra chip, it might be the same chip. I worked with the shield TV and it was decently powerful (more than a 360 less than Xbox One). I think they might have made a similar power chip that uses less wattage and that would be awesome for a the NX as a portable device. It could be nearly as powerful as the current consoles (before the updates in October) and could run for hours in a hand hold.

I think we're in for some exciting news after E3 when Nintendo talks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I swapped out my lovely insignia 10" tablet for an Acer Iconia One 10" and it's way better already. Doesn't freeze constantly, or act possessed and the touch works better.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Stick100 posted:

I think we're in for some exciting news after E3 when Nintendo talks.
Nintendo has announced they are saying nothing about the NX this E3, in fact the only thing they are doing is "talking" (Re: Having a looping stream) about the Wii U(/NX, but not NX version) Zelda. It will also be playable but that's their only footprint. Here's hoping for cool portable news from I/O I guess?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

minusX posted:

Nintendo has announced they are saying nothing about the NX this E3, in fact the only thing they are doing is "talking" (Re: Having a looping stream) about the Wii U(/NX, but not NX version) Zelda. It will also be playable but that's their only footprint. Here's hoping for cool portable news from I/O I guess?

That's why he said after E3.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

minusX posted:

Nintendo's actually keeping quiet because the NX is using the latest from NVidia and runs Android, as will be announced at I/O. Get hyped!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Nintendo's actually keeping quiet because the NX is using the latest from NVidia and runs Android, as will be announced at I/O. Get hyped!

Nintendo games on a tablet screen would be a nightmare.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Looking for a half decent sub £200 tablet, I HAD a nexus 7 (original not 2013), the two I have been looking at are the nvidia shield k1 and the asus zenpad s 8.0. If anyone could chime in on which of these two would be decent that would be great, I do some android development on the side so plus points for being open for me to test software on as well as do everyday tablet tasks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Pixel C is an absolutely outstanding tablet right now for £300 (get the dev discount) but if you really can't stretch to that get the Shield.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Nintendo games on a tablet screen would be a nightmare.
I'm sure Nintendo could make good touch-screen-only games.
Porting games with a software controller taking up half the screen would be a nightmare if that's what you mean, though.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Tunga posted:

The Pixel C is an absolutely outstanding tablet right now for £300 (get the dev discount) but if you really can't stretch to that get the Shield.

Sadly I cant stretch my budget that far, especially since they apparently aren't giving out those codes anymore. I will find out how much I can pick up a shield for.

edit: Looks like about £150 new for the shield k1.

Kea fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 18, 2016

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Kea posted:

Sadly I cant stretch my budget that far, especially since they apparently aren't giving out those codes anymore. I will find out how much I can pick up a shield for.

edit: Looks like about £150 new for the shield k1.

Hold out through the weekend. Google I/O starts tomorrow and it's highly likely there's going to be tablet announcements.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

I'm sure Nintendo could make good touch-screen-only games.
Porting games with a software controller taking up half the screen would be a nightmare if that's what you mean, though.

Before the 3DS came out I was speculating that maybe the DS2 would have a widescreen top touchscreen and you'd be able to do a 360 degree open to play touch-only games.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

G-Prime posted:

Hold out through the weekend. Google I/O starts tomorrow and it's highly likely there's going to be tablet announcements.
Google haven't announced hardware at I/O for years and all but said at the point where they stopped that they wouldn't do it any more. Additionally, no leaks have been seen anywhere which would be a first for a Nexus device (or almost any device, to be honest, since the FCC are bad at secrets). This isn't happening.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

The Merkinman posted:

Tried running pokemon mystery dungeon on my N7, can confirm

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Tried running pokemon mystery dungeon on my N7, can confirm

I completed pokemon black on my N7, dont remember the emulator but it ran at 100% with no sound and the controls could be moved around and resized, worked well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kea posted:

I completed pokemon black on my N7, dont remember the emulator but it ran at 100% with no sound and the controls could be moved around and resized, worked well.

I found it worked best with the two screens positioned at top and bottom of the device screen and controls actually sitting in the gap in between, semitransparent (since there was some overlap). And per-game removing all of the buttons that didn't matter.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd probably have a better time if I could figure out how to do any of that, but the emulator interface (retroarch) is a pig. Repositioning the game screen can only be done by stepwise incrementing the offset value. You can't write it directly with the keyboard, and you can't go backwards. If you gently caress up and increase any value too much you pretty much have to reset to defaults and start over, because they all run to stupidly high values without wrapping around to zero.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 18, 2016

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'd probably have a better time if I could figure out how to do any of that, but the emulator interface (retroarch) is a pig. Repositioning the game screen can only be done by stepwise incrementing the offset value. You can't write it directly with the keyboard, and you can't go backwards. If you gently caress up and increase any value too much you pretty much have to reset to defaults and start over, because they all run to stupidly high values without wrapping around to zero.

I used a different emulator, unfortunately I dont remember the name off the top of my head.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If it's DS, you want DraStic. It's light-years ahead of anything else, not to mention dramatically faster (or more to the point on modern devices, less battery-draining)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to reiterate that the Pixel C with the keyboard is pretty much perfect.

I've never been the type to use keyboard covers with my tablets, but this is so incredibly well executed. It's just large enough to be easy to type on but compact enough that reaching up to the screen to hit touch points isn't very far.

The whole thing is so much more compact than even a small notebook on your lap and it's super sturdy.

It also works perfectly well with the VMWare horizon client. Pair it with a bluetooth mouse and it's pretty much exactly like using a full windows computer.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I had been looking into buying a Pixel C but didn't realize the develop discount ended recently. I don't suppose anyone has an extra code?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My only problem with the Pixel C keyboard is that once in a blue moon I try to hit Caps Lock.

My Pixel C used to have issues auto-rotating, but I don't think I've seen them since the last update. Anybody else?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

I had been looking into buying a Pixel C but didn't realize the develop discount ended recently. I don't suppose anyone has an extra code?

Sent by pm.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Any other codes floating around?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Codes are tied to the email they are issued to, I believe. May not work even if someone sends you one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Android apps coming to ChromeOS may finally give devs the kick in the rear end they need to design big screen layouts.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tunga posted:

Google haven't announced hardware at I/O for years and all but said at the point where they stopped that they wouldn't do it any more. Additionally, no leaks have been seen anywhere which would be a first for a Nexus device (or almost any device, to be honest, since the FCC are bad at secrets). This isn't happening.
So we still don't have an updated N7 on the horizon at all then huh?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

So we still don't have an updated N7 on the horizon at all then huh?
No.

I mean, I expect there'll be one at some point. They aren't going to stop making Nexus hardware and probably we'll get a smaller tablet again some time, but people talking about holding out for the inevitable announcement at I/O were deluded because there was no evidence at all to suggest that it would happen and lots of evidence to suggest that it wouldn't.

To be quite honest the N7 2013 is still a great device with perfectly decent performance. They should have just kept on selling it!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The 2013 N7 is still a fully capable device, but I inherited a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and man is it a lovely device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really love my Pixel C but after the expected announcement at I/O I do find myself wishing it just ran ChromeOS. It's just a better browsing/desktop experience and now I'll get Android apps as well? Very appealing. I almost want to go and buy a Chromebook Pixel, which is something I could never really justify before. If Android Studio ran on ChromeOS I'd be converted, no hesitations.

My dad is going to be extremely happy when I tell him he can finally install some fun games on his laptop!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm fairly certain at this point that I'm going to sell my Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2014) and pickup that new HP Chromebook 13 with qhd screen whenever they come available.

I mean, I really don't need it, I have the pixel C and an XPS 15 and a Surface Pro 3, but there's something that keeps me coming back to ChromeOS for the simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

milkman dad posted:

Any other codes floating around?

Sent by PM. I had 2, I gave both away, com'on thread step up I'm sure I'm not the only one that got one they didn't use.