Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

I think they just should have called it "John Carmack's Ghosts of Mars". Its a good horror game and a bad doom game.

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom 3 actually made exactly that mistake. They made a Doom game that was a horror game. They should have called it "John Carmack's Ghosts of Mars", but instead everybody complained about how it played nothing like Doom.

Zaphod42 posted:

This game has the same problem Doom 3 does. If Doom 3 was just called "John Carmack's Ghosts of Mars" nobody would have complained about it being a horror game.
You're proud of that quip huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Mak0rz posted:

All this Quake model chat reminds me of ATI Truform.

Anyone remember Truform? :allears:

You mock it now but the very same tech was given a new name and is in every major game these days; you might recognize it as tessellation.
It's to this day one of the better forms of lod scaling.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Playstation Doom is good for this too, although some fans get a bit saltier about that since it modifies the original levels of Doom and Doom 2 and removes, replaces and reworks levels to fit the horror-like atmosphere.

Playstation Doom didn't replace/remove/rework levels to fit the horror atmosphere. The vast majority of the level changes were copied straight over from Jaguar Doom, where they'd been done because the existing level geometry couldn't be handled by the Jag. Hence why the Doom 1 section in PSX Doom is very cut down feeling, and the Doom II section is much less cut down - this time they only cut just what was needed to run well on the much faster PSX. They did add in colored lighting effects and some Doom II monsters and weapon things to some of the Jaguar Doom levels, of course - that was to help make up for them being made blander.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Linguica posted:

To be fair, John Carmack's "Ghosts of Mars" really would have been a good title for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linguica posted:

Oh poo poo I posted the same thing in two different threads? Oh nooooooooooo

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

fishmech posted:

Playstation Doom didn't replace/remove/rework levels to fit the horror atmosphere. The vast majority of the level changes were copied straight over from Jaguar Doom, where they'd been done because the existing level geometry couldn't be handled by the Jag. Hence why the Doom 1 section in PSX Doom is very cut down feeling, and the Doom II section is much less cut down - this time they only cut just what was needed to run well on the much faster PSX. They did add in colored lighting effects and some Doom II monsters and weapon things to some of the Jaguar Doom levels, of course - that was to help make up for them being made blander.

Ah. I don't know a whole lot about Jaguar Doom, I always just thought the levels were modified to fit the Playstation. Neat to know.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Playstation Doom is good for this too, although some fans get a bit saltier about that since it modifies the original levels of Doom and Doom 2 and removes, replaces and reworks levels to fit the horror-like atmosphere memory and processing constraints of the Playstation and/or Jaguar consoles.

Fixed for you, though feel free to argue that they are synonymous. :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I quite liked the final level in the PSX Doom, which replaced Icon of Sin. I think it was called Redemption Denied. A big arena with one spider mastermind at each opposite end with a shitload of barons of hell in-between.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Honestly, Doom 64 I think does what Doom 3 was trying to do but much better. Sure it isn't nearly as pretty but Doom 64 does have a very foreboding, oppressive and horror-like atmosphere and it has a remarkably different feel to it than the other Doom games, but also has just enough of what made the original Doom games so good that it's still recognizably a Doom game.

Doom 64 to me is a light Doom game with a bit of Quake in it's atmosphere. I liked it as a kid, these days I think it's a little overrated. I just find it boring honestly, kind of a generic 90s corridor shooter. On the other hand, Doom 3 I find very underrated. It's an early 2000s shooter with horror movie atmosphere, like F.E.A.R. did a year later. I really dig it, though it has also aged a bit more than some other games I think. But it rocked at the time. Resurrection of Evil on BFG edition still rocks today though, with the super shotty and fast pace. But whicher one you like better, they're going for completely different things, so the comparison is pretty much just whichever one you like better is the "real Doom3".

I think Mario64 is way better than Doom64 for the record, I'd rather have that as an official entry in the Doom series.

Also, should I watch Ghosts of Mars? I like John Carpenter's Vampires and I also like Ice Cube. What's better that or the Doom movie with The Rock?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 17, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Fixed for you, though feel free to argue that they are synonymous. :v:

Well, I remember Playstation Doom being a lot darker and used colored lighting to make some levels a lot moodier. The ambient soundtrack contributed a lot too. But I was like a kid since I last played Playstation Doom so it probably isn't as scary as I remember it being.

Heavy Metal posted:

Doom 64 to me is a light Doom game with a bit of Quake in it's atmosphere. I liked it as a kid, these days I think it's a little overrated. I just find it boring honestly, kind of a generic 90s corridor shooter. On the other hand, Doom 3 I find very underrated. It's an early 2000s shooter with horror movie atmosphere, like F.E.A.R. did a year later. I really dig it, though it has also aged a bit more than some other games I think. But it rocked at the time. Resurrection of Evil on BFG edition still rocks today though, with the super shotty and fast pace. But whicher one you like better, they're going for completely different things, so the comparison is pretty much just whichever one you like better is the "real Doom3".

I think Mario64 is way better than Doom64 for the record, I'd rather have that as an official entry in the Doom series.

Also, should I watch Ghosts of Mars? I like John Carpenter's Vampires and I also like Ice Cube. What's better that or the Doom movie with The Rock?

Doom 64 was a little heavier on puzzles if I remember right. It seemed to crib some stuff from Hexen for that. I still really like it though and I find it more fun to play that Doom 3, which I still think is a good game, it's just not what I'd think of when asked what a Doom game is. I said in the Doom 4 thread that it was more like System Shock: Demons, Jumpscares and Darkness Edition.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
On that note, can we get a proper Cyberpunky Shock game again?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, I remember Playstation Doom being a lot darker and used colored lighting to make some levels a lot moodier. The ambient soundtrack contributed a lot too. But I was like a kid since I last played Playstation Doom so it probably isn't as scary as I remember it being.

Come to think of it, you should read this page: http://www.classicdoom.com/doomcomp.htm
It goes in depth on how all the ports of Doom and Doom II etc vary compared to the original PC Doom.

They also have pages for all the maps of the official Doom ports eg this for the PSX games http://www.classicdoom.com/psxmaps.htm to compare against the original PC version: http://www.classicdoom.com/doommaps.htm

For instance:

Original Doom E1M1

PSX E1M1

SNES E1M1

You'll notice how the PSX version (which is nearly identical to the Jaguar/Saturn/GBA version) is rather simplified, while the SNES version ends up being much closer to the original PC layout.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RickVoid posted:

On that note, can we get a proper Cyberpunky Shock game again?

Will this do? http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/15/system-shock-remake-pre-alpha-footage/

Irrational Games crashed and burned so that's as good as we're gonna get.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

jeeves posted:

Thanks, this already looks way more like the Quake I remember than the weird 2002-era super smooth version I was playing before.

Quakespasm is absolutely my go-to for a modern GLQuake-alike (that can also be tuned away from some bits of GLQuake ickiness).

If you really want the palette-restricted rendering of software mode, you might want to check out the "winquake" variant in this build of Fitzquake Mark V: http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20160207_windows.zip

Qbism Super 8 is also pretty great. It used to be focussed on its own weirdly palettized rendering style and lighting tech, but I think recent releases have been steered toward a more winquake-y look by default (although other palettes are still available). http://super8.qbism.com/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heavy Metal posted:

Event Horizon is probably the closest thing to a movie adaptation of Doom's original plot.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

Whispers of Satan

Shadow Hog accidentally logged into the wrong account

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oops

(But really, I never got all that far into WoS; I imagine Mordja's way ahead of me there.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

IDGI :geno:

Anyway, I think I'm on map 22 or 23. Might try and beat it tonight.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Speaking with Polygon, the developer explained that many people's only exposure to the series is through BioShock, so it's making some tweaks to cater to modern gamers' tastes. That means the tone of the narrative is also set to shift, as is some of the gameplay. but the overall plot will remain.

Well that sounds bad.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

IDGI :geno:

Anyway, I think I'm on map 22 or 23. Might try and beat it tonight.

Shadow Hog italicizes video game titles and is literally the only person I know of that does this. It's peculiar and I find it amusing to a degree.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Event Horizon is probably the closest thing to a movie adaptation of Doom's original plot.

No, that's the Warhammer 20k film! :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shadow Hog italicizes video game titles and is literally the only person I know of that does this. It's peculiar and I find it amusing to a degree.
Eh, it's just proper grammatical style. Work names get italicized, chapter or song titles get quotation marks. I'm not entirely sure when I started doing this regularly - somewhere around high school, I guess.

Although I've never quite decided if source ports count as works. I've sorta committed to MegaWADs counting as works, at least. I suppose map names should have quotation marks, but I'd probably reserve that for the day I decide to say "This map reminds me of "Hangar"" over "This map reminds me of E1M1", which will probably be never.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Heavy Metal posted:

Now, I'm a big John Carpenter fan, he made two of my top three movies. I liked Ghosts of Mars, but I also recognise that I may not be the most objective person when I say it's enjoyable if not particularly great. It's probably better than the Doom movie, although I enjoyed that one too. I've heard that John Carpenter is actually a big fan of video games, he helped direct the cinematics for FEAR 3, and he's spoken very positively of the Dead Space series, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ghosts of Mars was inspired by Doom to some extent, though I don't think he's said anything about that. Also it as apparently supposed to be a third Snake Plissken movie, Escape from Mars, but that changed after Escape from LA didn't do terribly well.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Johnny Law posted:

Quakespasm is absolutely my go-to for a modern GLQuake-alike (that can also be tuned away from some bits of GLQuake ickiness).

If you really want the palette-restricted rendering of software mode, you might want to check out the "winquake" variant in this build of Fitzquake Mark V: http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/mark_v_20160207_windows.zip

Qbism Super 8 is also pretty great. It used to be focussed on its own weirdly palettized rendering style and lighting tech, but I think recent releases have been steered toward a more winquake-y look by default (although other palettes are still available). http://super8.qbism.com/

Quakespasm + the r_particles 2 (square particles) is working fine for me now.

The "Quake Reborn" was using Tenebrae which was apparently a whole new engine port that looked like poo poo-- it made the whole game look like Halo 1 or some crap. I'm glad I dumped it and looked into something more better in a retro since.

Only problem with Quakespasm is that once in a while the textures on certain brushes flicker due to lighting or something, but oh well. It feels like 1996 when playing it which is fine by me.

Also, it is amazing how much the sounds, models, and textures are burned into my memory from years of playing QWTF from like 1998-2001

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

catlord posted:

Also it as apparently supposed to be a third Snake Plissken movie, Escape from Mars, but that changed after Escape from LA didn't do terribly well.

What the gently caress.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

CJacobs posted:

What the gently caress.

well at least we got Ghosts of Mars

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cat Mattress posted:

I like that one, that's a good movie. In The Mouth of Madness is another cool 90s movie with Sam Neill (by the director of Ghosts of Mars no less).

catlord posted:

Now, I'm a big John Carpenter fan, he made two of my top three movies. I liked Ghosts of Mars, but I also recognise that I may not be the most objective person when I say it's enjoyable if not particularly great. It's probably better than the Doom movie, although I enjoyed that one too. I've heard that John Carpenter is actually a big fan of video games, he helped direct the cinematics for FEAR 3, and he's spoken very positively of the Dead Space series, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ghosts of Mars was inspired by Doom to some extent, though I don't think he's said anything about that. Also it as apparently supposed to be a third Snake Plissken movie, Escape from Mars, but that changed after Escape from LA didn't do terribly well.

It's settled, I'm gonna watch Ghosts of Mars! I also enjoyed the Doom movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shadow Hog posted:

Eh, it's just proper grammatical style. Work names get italicized, chapter or song titles get quotation marks. I'm not entirely sure when I started doing this regularly - somewhere around high school, I guess.

It's a good rule, but I think you're not going far enough. You should include the year in brackets as well. Otherwise, you could cause confusion when referring to Doom (1993) or Doom (2016).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's a good rule, but I think you're not going far enough. You should include the year in brackets as well. Otherwise, you could cause confusion when referring to Doom (1993) or Doom (2016).

I guess I have to add citations to all my posts from now on. Chicago style, natch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars is pretty much a doom 3 movie, its pretty drat good. Also feels kinda like resident evil or something.
The doom movie is horrible and the only reason to watch it is to make fun of it MST3K style. Its schlock all the way through.

BUT, butbutbut, would you consider something else?
Heavy Metal, have you watched the greatest machinima film of all time, known as The Seal of Nehahra?
If not; that is 100% what you should watch.

It is Quake: The Movie, and it actually fills in the quake plot of the original single player (which was fairly minimal) in good ways that make the game seem deeper, without really contradicting anything.

Here's it on youtube but the quality is poo poo, so you should really download it and render it locally in the quake engine instead if you can.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UaiDBJMhjM

Proper version: http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehahra/downloads/seal-of-nehahra

Every one of you FPS goons in this thread who hasn't watched this movie, drop what you're doing and watch it right the gently caress now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mordja posted:

I guess I have to add citations to all my posts from now on, Chicago style, natch.

APA style, you heathen!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, that's the Warhammer 20k film! :v:

There isn't a doom 40k mod, this makes me incredibly sad. :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

There isn't a doom 40k mod, this makes me incredibly sad. :saddowns:

There is for half-life though :)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars is pretty much a doom 3 movie, its pretty drat good. Also feels kinda like resident evil or something.
The doom movie is horrible and the only reason to watch it is to make fun of it MST3K style. Its schlock all the way through.

BUT, butbutbut, would you consider something else?
Heavy Metal, have you watched the greatest machinima film of all time, known as The Seal of Nehahra?
If not; that is 100% what you should watch.

It is Quake: The Movie, and it actually fills in the quake plot of the original single player (which was fairly minimal) in good ways that make the game seem deeper, without really contradicting anything.

Here's it on youtube but the quality is poo poo, so you should really download it and render it locally in the quake engine instead if you can.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UaiDBJMhjM

Proper version: http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehahra/downloads/seal-of-nehahra

Every one of you FPS goons in this thread who hasn't watched this movie, drop what you're doing and watch it right the gently caress now.

Funnily enough, I have seen that! I remember really enjoying that at the time, and the novelty of a fun movie in the Quake engine was great. Everybody should check that out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man I have to accept that my trusty old laptop just isn't up to running Doom 4. 25 fps with everything set to low and the graphics card could fry an egg :(

Oh well, I'll play it when I get a better PC.

Back to Final Doom I think.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

jeeves posted:

Quakespasm + the r_particles 2 (square particles) is working fine for me now.

The "Quake Reborn" was using Tenebrae which was apparently a whole new engine port that looked like poo poo-- it made the whole game look like Halo 1 or some crap. I'm glad I dumped it and looked into something more better in a retro since.

To be sort of fair to Tenebrae, it's a really early-days port during the time when it was really interesting to try to wedge other effects into the Quake source. I'm sure there was some smart & hard work that went into it. These days though, yeah, it's probably not what you want.

Glad you're all set and happy with Quakepasm!

quote:

Only problem with Quakespasm is that once in a while the textures on certain brushes flicker due to lighting or something, but oh well. It feels like 1996 when playing it which is fine by me.

Also, it is amazing how much the sounds, models, and textures are burned into my memory from years of playing QWTF from like 1998-2001

The flicker is Z-fighting (two surfaces at the same position, and the engine is indecisive about which one to show you). Classic GLQuake issue.

I think Quakespasm at one point introduced some heuristics to eliminate Z-fighting, but they got rolled back out again because they adversely affected some user maps. I thiiiiiink that currently Quakespasm will do some map-specific hacks to fix z-fighting instances in the original campaign. Those per-map hacks should be in the Quakespasm.pak file, so if you've removed that file or are using the "-fitz" command-line flag (which among other things avoids loading Quakespasm.pak) then you will lose those fixes.

(But I could be misremembering.)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There was another Quake "The Movie" (actually, a pimped out machinima), with mix of Quake 2 and 3 storylines. Anyone remembers that? Something about Q3 charas (Sarge, Crash etc) working in some prison facility containing Stroggs , the poo poo goes down and they're trying to escape? It was amazing and hilarious at the same time, I remember reading about it in the mag like it was a huge, official deal.

holy poo poo I finally remembered the full title, Escape from the Bastille, and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJn4TzBGb2I
(don't try to use the HD setting, it's blurry poo poo anyways)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

I just call one Doom and the other Doom 4. Problem solved? :shobon:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I assume my Phenom II 965 eould get face-stomped by Doom 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ancient Aliens has been updated.

quote:

-A lot of bugfixes (thanks to all who reported issues). I should be caught up with bugs reported in this thread.
-Improved the palette (added 4 more very dark browns) and colormap so that browns no longer fade to that greenish color in dark areas while using the software renderer
-Replaced the broken map24 music
-revamped ITYTD/HNTR so that it is much more casual friendly, made HMP a little bit (but not much) easier. I could use feedback on skills 1-2 in particular. A few of the maps that are more slaughtery in their design were a bit tricky and probably need some further attention (MAP15, MAP18, MAP28, MAP29)
-new ending text after MAP30 written by dew
-snazzy new sound effect for the icon of sin's alert
-Probably more stuff I forgot