Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

abske_fides posted:

The little Glass Hammer I've heard was atrocious and had really bad production, but maybe I need to vive them another chance. I've been on a huge GG row for the last 2-3 weeks.

Sounds like you got one of their first few albums - everything from Chronometree on is excellent though. And the production definitely improved with every release. (I'm also a fan of their 98 album On to Evermore but there are still a lot of rough edges there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Both the new Haken and the new Long Distance Calling albums dropped today. Just listening now and Haken finally seem to have put out something comparable to The Mountain.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Chocobo posted:

Both the new Haken and the new Long Distance Calling albums dropped today. Just listening now and Haken finally seem to have put out something comparable to The Mountain.
Finally, after 0 albums between The Mountain and this new one,

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
they did put out an EP :shrug:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Asia nods all over the place on Affinity are really neat, but I'm surprised to hear so much Dream Theater in their songwriting again.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
"Affinity" took a couple listens to get used to. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, same with Long Distance Calling's new album. I really liked "Avoid The Light" and "Satellite Bay", and this was completely different. But the songs are becoming earworms nonetheless.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
1985 could be the best thing they've ever done.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006
Loving the new Kayo Dot track 'Magnetism' - which expands on the synth-goth direction their last album took.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I checked out the self-titled album by Valènor and it's really cool. Someone in this thread recommended it, but I don't recall who. It has a bit of a classic rock touch to it, which gives it enough of an aggressive edge to push things forward.

I also picked up Daryl Hall's "Sacred Songs." It's interesting to hear Fripp play in all of those different styles and contexts. It's a really captivating album, I need to give it a few more listens.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Mellomeh posted:

Loving the new Kayo Dot track 'Magnetism' - which expands on the synth-goth direction their last album took.

That was interesting. Kayo dot sound more and more like where ulver should have gone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kayo Dot are a super frustrating band to me because I'm a huge maudlin of the Well fan but I never know if I'm gonna get something brilliant or just stupid and pretentious.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Haken's Affinity is a masterpiece. I love how it all ties together.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chocobo posted:

Haken's Affinity is a masterpiece. I love how it all ties together.
"Masterpiece" is an unexaggerated word, despite the large amounts of what I would charitably call fan service on this record. Except for a couple spins of the new Vektor album, it's barely left my player for the past two weeks or so. I definitely think it's the best prog-metal album of this decade, though there's not an awful lot to stack it up against.

When I said a few posts back that I was surprised how much Dream Theater I was hearing in their songwriting again, I wasn't just referring to the literal stylistic cues and choices of that band. Dream Theater from the late nineties on is also sort of known for the way they appropriate wholesale from the musicians that they like, and float in and out of those passages in songs. (The Frank Zappa passage in "Beyond This Life" is a great example, as is the clearly Muse-styled verse of "Panic Attack.") So in a sense, Haken's particular brand of appropriation almost amounts to meta-appropriation -- they're appropriating the style of a band that appropriates other bands' styles.

But they do it well, they integrate it well, and they make it their own somehow, whether stealing aesthetics wholesale from Opeth's "The Drapery Falls" in "The Architect," or Porcupine Tree's "Way Out of Here" in "The Architect," or Pink Floyd's "Sheep" in "The Architect" (okay, it's a long song). Even when the song dramatically changes direction, like when they go into that part of "1985" around 6:30 that's basically out of Porcupine Tree's "Sleep Together" (maybe also Dream Theater's "Misunderstood," the parts are similar enough) it never sounds forced.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

"1985" around 6:30 that's basically out of Porcupine Tree's "Sleep Together" (maybe also Dream Theater's "Misunderstood," the parts are similar enough) it never sounds forced.

Ha, I was almost certain I'd heard that exact part before in an Ayreon song, but it might've been "Misunderstood".

I still like Haken's debut album the best, but Affinity is great. I'm not really feeling the album closer, and I'm surprised they decided to end two albums in a row on such mellow notes, but maybe it'll grow on me or it'll make more sense in the context of the album if I read the lyrics.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

progarchives.com has a "best of 2015," if anyone wants to check out anything new and/or different.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

progarchives.com has a "best of 2015," if anyone wants to check out anything new and/or different.
Thanks, I had no idea Anekdoten, Guapo, and Riverside had new ones out last year. The Anekdoten album is really interesting because it seems like they're really intent on converging to the same place as Opeth right now but doing it better

e: oh, that's actually Per Wilberg on keys on the first track

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 13, 2016

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
The Riverside album is great, I also have a bad feeling it might be their last.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chocobo posted:

The Riverside album is great, I also have a bad feeling it might be their last.
Yeah, Riverside's songwriting was always credited to Riverside instead of any individual writers, so who even knows what Piotr Grudziński's death means for their future?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Tony Levin and Markus Reuter lost their guitar pedal boards when some poo poo stain broke into their 'valet parked' van at their hotel in St. Louis on the current Stick Men tour. :/

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Tony Levin and Markus Reuter lost their guitar pedal boards when some poo poo stain broke into their 'valet parked' van at their hotel in St. Louis on the current Stick Men tour. :/

gently caress that sucks! This type of thing is way too common

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

This isn't really what I expected Haken's singer to look like, but in a way it all makes sense now

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

This isn't really what I expected Haken's singer to look like, but in a way it all makes sense now

I will still always imagine him as a muppet.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Paladinus posted:

I will still always imagine him as a muppet.

Isn't he?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

There's a wonderful interview with Dave Brock of Hawkwind in the latest Prog Magazine (even though they're not really, strictly speaking, prog). Not sure if that's a thing in the US. The interview is online but there's a bullshit paygate. The old fart absolutely rips into Nik Turner for "being a miserable old oval office who has done irreparable damage to this band".

Essentially, there's a "fake" Hawkwind doing shows in the US at the moment. It is all ex-members of 'real' Hawkwind and fronted by Nik but some drama around it put Brock in hospital the last time the 'real' Hawkwind tried to tour the US.

I have to take the interview with a pinch of salt though, because Dave tells a version of the Lemmy sacking story I haven't heard before, making it out like Nik fired him for no reason.

I'm so glad Hawkwind is still a thing, considering how goddamn old Dave Brock is and they do a wonderful live show (catch 'real' Hawkwind if you can/haven't already!!) but they could do without the weird old man drama.

Saw them recentlyish in December joined by Steve Hillage of GONG - was absolutely delightful to see him rocking out with Tim Blake, who is also a disgusting old fart these days.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Considering my first experience with Hawkwind was seeing them at NEARfest 2007, it's a wonder I ever got into them at all. They were short one member (who refused to play in the US for political reasons), and my most prominent memory of that set was some guy in front of me orgasmically yelling "yeeaaaaaaah!" when the only thing being played was the backing track.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

They were short one member (who refused to play in the US for political reasons),
That guy sounds cool

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Rollersnake posted:

Considering my first experience with Hawkwind was seeing them at NEARfest 2007, it's a wonder I ever got into them at all. They were short one member (who refused to play in the US for political reasons), and my most prominent memory of that set was some guy in front of me orgasmically yelling "yeeaaaaaaah!" when the only thing being played was the backing track.

And it certainly didn't help that Magma headlined the following night and blew everyone else out of the water. Saturday was a pretty disappointing day.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Optimum Gulps posted:

Saturday was a pretty disappointing day.

Four mediocre-at-best sets... and Bob Drake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IfOup44Ws

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 20, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

They were short one member (who refused to play in the US for political reasons)
I remember when Daniel Gildenlow pulled this poo poo with Pain of Salvation, then reversed course when Obama came into office and changed zero of the policies he was complaining about

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Punishing your fans for living in a place seems like a really great idea

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Rollersnake posted:

Hadn't heard about this. Looked it up and it seems Alan Davey is the one who stormed off, Mr Dibs subsequently joined them.

That's a bit of a shame. Davey is one of the better bassists they ever had, Dibs comparatively is dreadful (although he doesn't really play bass now and is just a vocalist, p much). Their newest bassist is a 21 year old kid who can't keep his hair out of his face.

Hawkwind fans are weird people so it's no surprise you were bothered by that guy. All the shows I've been to have been really great, though. Over here you see a lot of the same faces at the shows, and it's usually a great crowd.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vulture Culture posted:

I remember when Daniel Gildenlow pulled this poo poo with Pain of Salvation, then reversed course when Obama came into office and changed zero of the policies he was complaining about

I remember back when I used to post on the Dream Theater forums (which got closed because no one there actually liked DT much anymore) Pain of Salvation was always getting praise but the only album I found in the music store was Be...

I am not a Pain of Salvation fan.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Be is the only album i can think of that would benefit from being much longer. like a double lp. the album completely drowns in it's concept and pretensiousnes and making it longer would maybe give the ideas and music some more room to breath.
but instead its a lovely album.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Nobody Interesting posted:

Hadn't heard about this. Looked it up and it seems Alan Davey is the one who stormed off, Mr Dibs subsequently joined them.

That's a bit of a shame. Davey is one of the better bassists they ever had, Dibs comparatively is dreadful (although he doesn't really play bass now and is just a vocalist, p much). Their newest bassist is a 21 year old kid who can't keep his hair out of his face.

Hawkwind fans are weird people so it's no surprise you were bothered by that guy. All the shows I've been to have been really great, though. Over here you see a lot of the same faces at the shows, and it's usually a great crowd.

Hawkwind are bad. and you should feel bad.
The only redeaming feature is the tie in with Micheal Moorcock

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I remember back when I used to post on the Dream Theater forums (which got closed because no one there actually liked DT much anymore) Pain of Salvation was always getting praise but the only album I found in the music store was Be...

I am not a Pain of Salvation fan.

Be is unlike any of their other records...it's an incredibly pretentious concept album designed to be performed as a live stage show. Everything up until Be is a masterpiece of emotional prog metal. Try out these songs, at least, before you discount them entirely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrtKcPuvA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsAoNaOnuM4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PzR1nmrxeA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSrGoMKdkrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmrU2NahT2Q

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 22, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Renfield posted:

Hawkwind are bad. and you should feel bad.
The only redeaming feature is the tie in with Micheal Moorcock

What on earth

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
http://www.guitarcircleofnorthamerica.com/the-orchestra-of-crafty-guitarists-xiii-special-performance-project-june-5-12-2016-oxford-mi/

Fripp is doing a short tour with the OCG prior to a week long retreat and a final concert in Detroit on June 10th.

http://www.guitarcircleofnorthamerica.com/rfocg-tour/

Thursday, June 2, 2016
8PM (Doors 7PM)
Westwood Lutheran Church
9001 Cedar Lake Rd
St Louis Park, MN 55426
Tickets: $35
http://rfcocgmn.brownpapertickets.com

Friday, June 3, 2016
8pm (Doors 7PM)
First Unitarian Society of Madison
900 University Bay Drive
Madison, WI 53705
Tickets: $30
http://rfcocgwi.brownpapertickets.com

Saturday, June 4, 2016
8pm (Doors 7PM)
Harvest Bible Chapel
935 N. Dearborn Street
Chicago, IL 60610
Tickets: $35
http://rfcocgil.brownpapertickets.com

Robert Fripp and the Orchestra of Crafty Guitarists:

Friday, June 10, 2016
8pm (Doors 7PM)
Ste. Anne de Detroit
1000 Ste. Anne Street
Detroit, Michigan 48216
Tickets: $30
http://rfocgmi.brownpapertickets.com

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok maybe I've been out of the loop on Fripp for a while, is there a reason he is only playing in venues that are churches?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Earwicker posted:

ok maybe I've been out of the loop on Fripp for a while, is there a reason he is only playing in venues that are churches?
I assume it's just because they're small?

I haven't been following Fripp either, I'm in Madison, should I go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I am going to the retreat itself, my understanding this is Robert's last one in North America. Go, you can say you saw it before it ended. Guitar Craft is over, the Guitar Circles are ending.