Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That target is also very flexible depending on the budget itself and how the percentage the government extracts form operations. One thing the cheap Ruble is helping the Russian government in certain ways since the government pays salaries in rubles but gets paid in dollars. Also, other estimates I have seen range closer to around $65 dollars a barrel,

As for the Russians running out of money, it is pretty unlikely due to the fact the government still has plenty of room to raise taxes and Russian Central bank still has plenty of reserves. The actual budgetary reserves have been hit but it is one of multiple funds the Russian government manages, sort of like how some state governments keep buffer funds when revenues are lower. Push comes to shove, the Russian Central Bank could just hand the government a loan until oil prices stabilize.

Also, I guess it should be also mentioned that oil prices are starting to stabilize around fifty a barrel, which means the government will still be in the red but the deficit is going to be more manageable.

edit

http://www.reuters.com/article/russia-economy-budget-rule-idUSL5N17L1BE

The Russian government itself is saying it is looking at $40 and $50 a barrel, which maybe is too low but certainly there is a big different there.

---------------------

As for Russian attitudes, I do think there are a fair amount of people in Moscow/St. Petersburg unhappy with the current circumstance, but at the same time there doesn't seem any consensus about getting rid of Putin because there literally isn't anyone to replace him with. Part of this due to the fact there is little love between liberal and left opposition, liberals in Russia tend more to hard right economically and rarely see eye to eye with the rest of the population. Then there is the rest of the country who backs Putin far more fully.

Part of this state propaganda and part of it is just that people in the countryside really despise the Moscow opposition and has no desire to see them in power.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-15/eurovision-2016-russian-officials-bash-ukraine-win/7416328

quote:

Mass-circulation tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda ran an online article entitled "How the European jury stole victory from Lazarev".

The outlet called for the results to be reviewed because of the "political" content of Jamala's song and warned gay spectators they face a rough reception in Ukraine next year.

Is ukraine really unsafe for gay people or something?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

katlington posted:

Is ukraine really unsafe for gay people or something?
http://ilga-europe.org/sites/default/files/2016/ukraine.pdf
Seems pretty bad even by EE standards, but laughably hypocritical for Russia to be calling them out for it.

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 16, 2016

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Why yes, I'd love to come to work on saturday. I'm sure it has nothing to do with an anti-government march planned on the same day. Just an unfortunate coincidence, yup :thumbsup:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

Why yes, I'd love to come to work on saturday. I'm sure it has nothing to do with an anti-government march planned on the same day. Just an unfortunate coincidence, yup :thumbsup:

Taking a page from ye Chinese playbook.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nowhere it is safe for gay people, as far as we are talking about Eastern Europe.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

Nowhere it is safe for gay people, as far as we are talking about Eastern Europe.

Fixed that for you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Fixed that for you.
T-thanks.

:negative:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

grate deceiver posted:

That depends on what you do for a living

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Nitrox posted:

That depends on what you do for a living

Most likely they're a government empleoyee, as they are the ones who's going to work this Saturday.

http://polska.newsweek.pl/beata-kempa-zadecydowala-urzednicy-przyjda-do-pracy-w-sobote-4-czerwca,artykuly,385510,1.html

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kalstrams posted:

That's General Shevchenko, chief of ground vehicle department at their MoD.

man his career really went down under after leaving Chelsea

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Following our earlier email exchange with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, where we caught them plagiarising Livejournal they've now sent us one final response:

quote:

Dear Mr. Higgins,

On our part, we regret to note that you still prefer making conclusions based on unverified and oftehn contradictory information from social network, the factual value of which is quite doubtful. However, you also use purely technical details of military hardware design to support your research, despite having no apparent expertise in this field. Also, throughout our dialogue, you have ignored our calls to base your research on Russian official data, confirmed by tests and experiments.

Given all of the above, we believe it would be more suitable for you to continue your dialogue not with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation but with experts which have experience in the fields discussed. We would like to note that many of them have repeatedly expressed their opinion on Bellingcat reports, explaining your approaches and, therefore, conclusions as dubious.

Kind regards,

Department of Information and Press of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation

To which I've replied

quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We note with disappointment (but little surprise) you’ve failed to answer any questions we've sent you, or addressed the clear plagiarism by members of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your previous reply. We can only then take it that plagiarised Livejournals are the extent of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs evidence on MH17.

As for experts, we're sure you'll find the opinions of the experts we've consulted for our 2 year anniversary report on MH17 to be fascinating.

Kind regards

Eliot Higgins

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Send them periodic letters to check up on them.

"Hi, haven't heard from you in a bit, just checking in to see if you're ok."

"Have a nice weekend? Weather was rubbish here again."

"How are you doing over there? I miss our chats."

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aww, they don't want to talk to you anymore... :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is going to make the next time they start attacking you in the press all the sweeter.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I just spent 2 hours arguing about MH17 with a "far left" friend of mine. It is obviously a CIA plot to discredit Russia, at the same time the Odessa massacre was a direct attack by Ukraine Neo Nazis against freedom loving peaceful protesters.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Have you explained that Putin and Russia are not leftist? And that as a hard leftist he would be sent to a prison ran by an oligarch? Try mentioning that most powerful Russians are currently making GBS threads up London in their giant 2nd, 3rd and 4th homes plus yacht.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 17, 2016

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

This is going to make the next time they start attacking you in the press all the sweeter.

Well they mentioned us again a couple of weeks ago

quote:

The BBC film and the Bellingcat report

There have been many requests to comment on the recent BBC film about the Malaysian Boeing tragedy and the so-called Bellingcat report, which was published a few days ago.

I will begin with the film. We don’t think it is objective although its authors promised a balanced analysis of all versions. In the end, they have analysed and substantiated only one version brushing off all the others as preposterous. Who has seen the film will agree with this assessment.

The authors’ prejudice, particularly against Russia, is evident to us. I think every minute of the footage breathes such prejudice. The film does not cite a single Russian official’s opinion while amply quoting Western spokespeople. Worse than that, the film criticises Russia for allegedly refusing to comment. In fact, I myself have described and commented the situation in detail. Russian experts and officials are always willing to cooperate, and it was the BBC team that demonstrated reluctance to interact with us.

On the whole, the film produces the impression of sneering at the Russian contribution to the investigation. Versions advanced by Russian experts are subjected to unsubstantiated criticism. We have the impression that the authors are out to demonstrate that the Russian point of view is completely misguided instead of offering an unbiased analysis of all versions.

We regret that the BBC believes that’s what objective coverage is about. We are of the contrary opinion.

We could make a similar assessment of the latest Bellingcat report. Regrettably, our appeals to use the entire verified information offered by Russia on the MH17 crash in Ukraine were shrugged off. On the whole, I would like to say that the Western media and online coverage of the tragedy is extremely politicised. I regard it as mythologising the theme, to an extent – which means that professional opinions and analyses of facts and experimental finds recede under the impact of artistic devices passed for investigative journalism to produce the desired effect.

We regard the campaign as an attempt by certain destructive forces to indoctrinate the public with a fictitious and artificial picture of demoniac Russia, self-defence forces and others. That is a deplorable and very dangerous trend because we are not just dealing with a plane crash, an exciting thriller, but with innocent victims. We live in computer age – just look at all the cameras, laptops and suchlike in this room. It is especially dangerous today when attempts are made not to see, not to show the full information picture, but to keep on elaborating a single plotline.

Considering how grave this tragedy is, we believe that it should be investigated by competent experts at a high professional level. We have well-grounded concerns that double standards may be used as bloggers replace authorised professionals responsible for what they say and do. However interested and sympathetic these bloggers might be, they are not professionals. Despite this, final conclusions proceed from their assessments, and essential though provisional hypotheses are based on their opinions.

These people are only superficially informed in the relevant field. They are not professionals in it. They might be experts on IT, information retrieval, etc., but they are not experts in this particular field though they venture to draw conclusions of a global scope.

Everyone is waiting for a real investigation. We insist that it must proceed from verified facts and materials from reliable, foolproof sources – specifically, not amateur snapshots from social media sites. What we need is thoroughly checked materials providing reliable information from meticulously identified sources.

As you know, Russia has submitted a vast amount of information concerning the disaster to the Joint Investigation Team.

This is the best bit

quote:

Everyone is waiting for a real investigation. We insist that it must proceed from verified facts and materials from reliable, foolproof sources – specifically, not amateur snapshots from social media sites. What we need is thoroughly checked materials providing reliable information from meticulously identified sources.

This just after they sent us a plagiarised blog post for their MH17 evidence.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Regarde Aduck posted:

Have you explained that Putin and Russia are not leftist? And that as a hard leftist he would be sent to a prison ran by an oligarch? Try mentioning that most powerful Russians are currently making GBS threads up London in their giant 2nd, 3rd and 4th homes plus yacht.

Claimed political alignment has nothing to do with believing in conspiracy theories and more to do with being a stubborn contrarian.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Send him on a trip there.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot

Sandweed posted:

I just spent 2 hours arguing about MH17 with a "far left" friend of mine. It is obviously a CIA plot to discredit Russia, at the same time the Odessa massacre was a direct attack by Ukraine Neo Nazis against freedom loving peaceful protesters.

What do you think happened in Odessa on May 2 2014?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Bloodshit posted:

What do you think happened in Odessa on May 2 2014?

It's really funny how you keep buying an account.

or is someone paying for it!? :tinfoil:

As far as the trade union house fire, protesters from both sides were having a petrol bomb fight, some pro-Russians decided to throw Molotov's from the roof of the building. Some pro- Ukrainians decide to throw Molotov's at the building. It was a fight where one side chose a bad position, that's all. Sad that people died.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot
Here is a video covering the events from beginning to end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9AMjLBIliw

At 0:30, I see the first Molotov cocktail being thrown at the House of Trade Unions by the paramilitaries. After the tents of the protesters are burned down, they move on to the building itself. Can you point to the part in the video where "both sides" are having a "petrol bomb fight"? Or when the anti-austerity trade union activists (or "pro-Russians" as you call them) throw Molotovs from the roof of the building? Thanks.

Brown Moses, I'd love to hear your input in this QCS thread I made about my recent bans: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776500

I'd especially love to hear your thoughts on that Atlantic Council article, which not once mentioned the fact that the Azov batallion is a Neo Nazi paramilitary organization whose leader openly expresses admiration for Adolf Hitler.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

kalstrams posted:

Thing worth keeping in mind, though, is that you are (iirc) in the second richest city in Russia, which is often referred to by Russians everywhere as city of culture. Difference between St. Petersburg/Moscow and pretty much everything else in Russia is enormous.

Actually Xerxes17's post accurately describes Russians' attitudes towards this government and all previous ones, not sure why you'd think people outside the two capitals are less apathetic. If anything severe skepticism towards any proactivity gets more common as you move further away. people always say Russia is different ouside of those two cities, and I always say it's bullshit. Maybe in Soviet times, but what's so different nowadays? Same ikeas same metros everywhere, same lovely education, same horrible old and newly built bedroom districts.

People from elswhere don't call SPB the cultural capital btw, unironically at least, lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loga mira posted:

Actually Xerxes17's post accurately describes Russians' attitudes towards this government and all previous ones, not sure why you'd think people outside the two capitals are less apathetic. If anything severe skepticism towards any proactivity gets more common as you move further away. people always say Russia is different ouside of those two cities, and I always say it's bullshit. Maybe in Soviet times, but what's so different nowadays? Same ikeas same metros everywhere, same lovely education, same horrible old and newly built bedroom districts.

People from elswhere don't call SPB the cultural capital btw, unironically at least, lol
Actually, I meant that situation outside capitals is worse, not better. And Moscow/St. Petersburg are very different from rest of Russia, but hey, maybe everyone but you is an idiot. Talking to older people could help figure out the city of culture bit, it's just the Moscow with it's rivalry that likes snidely ironic 'city of culture' when 20-year olds argue inbetween themselves which of the two cities has more apparent drug addicts.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kalstrams posted:

Actually, I meant that situation outside capitals is worse, not better. And Moscow/St. Petersburg are very different from rest of Russia, but hey, maybe everyone but you is an idiot. Talking to older people could help figure out the city of culture bit, it's just the Moscow with it's rivalry that likes snidely ironic 'city of culture' when 20-year olds argue inbetween themselves which of the two cities has more apparent drug addicts.
Not sure where I've seen this info, but isn't something like half of Russia's middle class lives in Moscow/St Peter? The rest of the country are peasants, figuratively speaking. I personally haven't seen anything to disprove that, and last time I went to Russia was before oil price collapse.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

kalstrams posted:

You misunderstood but whatever. I don't have anyone to talk to right now about this but you, so explain to me the "city of culture". I see it as a cliche that lazy journalists and officials use, and suspect the trope was created in Soviet times to alleviate the loss of status, am I wrong? I am in currently in this great Russian elsewhere and there is definitely culture, and people like museum workers and culturologists usually react negatively to any assertion of superiority from their colleagues from SPB.

Nitrox posted:

The rest of the country are peasants, figuratively speaking.

hey now

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Attitudes like that is partly why Russian opposition politicians never win.

(And they are even more condescending towards Ukrainians).

Edit: reminds me of how when there was that plane crash near Rostov-on-Don people online were saying how it was a "rural area", never mind it's a city of over a million people and close to the previously densely populated Donbass region of Ukraine...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nitrox posted:

Not sure where I've seen this info, but isn't something like half of Russia's middle class lives in Moscow/St Peter? The rest of the country are peasants, figuratively speaking. I personally haven't seen anything to disprove that, and last time I went to Russia was before oil price collapse.
Not sure if it's half or not, but sizeable part of anything Russia is concentrated in these two cities, proportionally more higher up the economical/social/other ladder we climb.

loga mira posted:

You misunderstood but whatever. I don't have anyone to talk to right now about this but you, so explain to me the "city of culture". I see it as a cliche that lazy journalists and officials use, and suspect the trope was created in Soviet times to alleviate the loss of status, am I wrong? I am in currently in this great Russian elsewhere and there is definitely culture, and people like museum workers and culturologists usually react negatively to any assertion of superiority from their colleagues from SPB.
I wonder where did I misunderstood you, and not vice verse, but whatever. 'City of culture', unlike "Northern Venice', 'Northern Palmyra', and 'Capital of the North', is not something people from St. Petersburg have made up to overcompensate that they are not the centre of the Russian galaxy anymore. It just stems from the fact that essentially all the notable aristocracy Russia has ever had has lived there, hence the ton of fancy pants places and buildings. Given that, and the fact that people from Moscow/St. Petersburg love to repeatedly make points about how nice and superior to anything else their city is, of course people elsewhere will get indignant about being repeatedly told how inferior they are. 'City of culture' doesn't mean that it's all the culture Russia has, but people from St. Petersburg sometimes like to make it seem so.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

See we can have a conversation without being jerks to each other. As the other guy said we're basically completely disillusioned at this point and nobody believes they can make a change in anything. Then you posted the enormous difference meme and I assumed you meant that Russians elsewhere think everything is perfect and works as it should. I just don't like when Russians are painted as these ultra-nationalist zombies with no critical thinking, which really couldn't be further from thruth. Political fatalism is how I'd describe it. Obviously everyones inclined to poo poo on us because of the regime loving around.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loga mira posted:

See we can have a conversation without being jerks to each other. As the other guy said we're basically completely disillusioned at this point and nobody believes they can make a change in anything. Then you posted the enormous difference meme and I assumed you meant that Russians elsewhere think everything is perfect and works as it should. I just don't like when Russians are painted as these ultra-nationalist zombies with no critical thinking, which really couldn't be further from thruth. Political fatalism is how I'd describe it. Obviously everyones inclined to poo poo on us because of the regime loving around.
God forbid, no, I know plenty of people outside million cities to know how "delighted" they are with their 60 hour work weeks for 10-15 thousand roubles, all while prices on everything climb because Putin wants to weasel his dick into another country.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So Putins high approval ratings are lies?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

So Putins high approval ratings are lies?
No.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

People would love Putin anywhere, let's be real here. His image is very attractive, no surprise he has admirers even in hugely russophobic countries like Poland. Poles would vote for a Polish Putin.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Imo it's more that there's no alternative. People don't like what they have but then when it comes to voting they either draw a blank or think they'd be even worse off under some random oligarch. Not that Putin doesn't specifically do everything in his power not to have valid competition.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

No that's not right, and again insulting. People love Putin and vote for him because he says all the right things, and plays the kind, benevolent Czar surrounded by incompetent boyars role extremely well.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot
Why Russians support Putin.

GDP:

Life expectancy:

Russians remember perfectly well that the last time they had a "democratic" president friendly to the United States and the IMF, over 80% of the population was living in extreme poverty, unable to afford basic medicine.

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2007/04/25/the-legacy-of-boris-yeltsin/

quote:

"Between 1992 and 1994, the rise in the death rate in Russia was so dramatic that Western demographers did not believe the figures. The toll from murder, suicide, heart attacks and accidents gave Russia the death rate of a country at war; Western and Russian demographers now agree that between 1992 and 2000, the number of “surplus deaths” in Russia–deaths that cannot be explained on the basis of previous trends–was between five and six million persons."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've said it a few times now; if you haven't experienced the effects of a state with near-universal state control of the media, it's hard to understand its effects on the civic consciousness.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus there's nothing like a good war to boost one's popularity in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Plus there's nothing like a good war to boost one's popularity in Russia.
I think that's more or less universal though, I doubt Dubya would get voted in twice were it not for 9/11.