Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
Announcing my third victory for Ogrecoming Adversity:

1704590 dpeg the Ogre of Death (level 27, 316/323 HPs)
Began as an Ogre Necromancer on May 14, 2016.
Was a Priest of Lugonu.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 4 runes on May 17, 2016!

The game lasted 10:24:13 (155118 turns).

Note the title!

I played with some special rules on this game. Because I already had two standard ogre wins under my belt (big club, large rocks, no magic), it was time for the sly, evil ogre:
* always pick Int on level increases
* use magic, but only train Spellcasting and Necromancy
* always have the Necromancy title

Sometimes I missed the last rule, but I always made sure to quickly put Necromancy on the top again. This was my fifth OgNe attempt, all but one of them made it to Kikubaaqughda and got the second book (which is crucial: Dispel Undead and Agony). In between I was seriously worried if I would not reach Nec 27 in time, it's really slow. But with Kiku on your side, you go Tomb, and that was enough experience. However, nothing can express my horror when my title stayed at Lord of Darkness (that's a nifty Nec+Kiku special). This meant desertion, because I was only in it for Ogre of Death.

In Zot, I realised I had no way of dealing with orbs of fire. (I used a shield of protection, a +4 amulet of reflection, and a demon whip of electrocution.) After some consideration, I left Kikubaaqughda and turned to Lugonu. This was not a very clever move, however, because it turns out that you cannot banish orbs of fire. Doh! Then again, I entered the wrong portal when trying to go Abyss, and landed in Pan. While trying to get out, I picked up the demonic rune and a demon trident of anti-magic. So I relied on might, agility and the Polearmed 12 trident to kill three orbs of fire. Needless to say, I got out horribly mutated and whoever said that there are more potions of cure mutation in the game is a deceiver!

Lugonu was useful after all: I banished myself once, banished some annoying guys on the obr run and corrupted a particularly nasty Zot:4 with orb in hand. Scary moment on D:1 when a Tzizimitl refused to die and kept keeping me below 50 HP.

I still have no idea whether I should've picked pain branding over the Necronomicon. Would a demon whip be better with pain rather than electrocution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

dpeg posted:

I still have no idea whether I should've picked pain branding over the Necronomicon. Would a demon whip be better with pain rather than electrocution?

Very cool win! OgNe (Ash) is probably my favourite combo. Though if I started playing crawl today I might never have discovered it, as so many of my initial reasons have been removed.

With your 27 necromancy pain would have been way better than elec outside of extended, it's not close. I think it's close around 8-10 skill these days?

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

rchandra posted:

Very cool win! OgNe (Ash) is probably my favourite combo. Though if I started playing crawl today I might never have discovered it, as so many of my initial reasons have been removed.
Many thanks!

What were your reasons for OgNe of Ashenzari, and why is it still your favourite combination despite changes?

quote:

With your 27 necromancy pain would have been way better than elec outside of extended, it's not close. I think it's close around 8-10 skill these days?
This is useful to know. I should start looking up numbers, but I usually can't be bothered. Quite possibly I am the least spoiled developer :)

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Dee Ehm posted:

Putting the odds at 3:2 that this bee is directly involved in causing your death.

Sadly, bee buddy got turned into a Spriggan and murdered by Rupert :(

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

dpeg posted:

What were your reasons for OgNe of Ashenzari, and why is it still your favourite combination despite changes?

You'll get your endgame weapon very early and can curse both hands with it.
Animate Skeleton let you butcher with a cursed GSC.
Lethal Infusion to brand the GSC both for general use and before read-IDing vorpalise weapon scrolls.
Ogre spell skills work very nicely with the skill boost.
Necromancer spells are excellent for supporting melee and don't need a lot of training (IE, Su can work pretty well in similar fashion).

And I just enjoy the hybrid melee style and big weapons.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Confusion sounds like a death sentence to me.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

kalstrams posted:

Confusion sounds like a death sentence to me.

Confusion is pretty bad. Toss it somewhere and think about it if you pick up clarity.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

*Confuse isn't the end of the world, depending on where you are in the game and how many potions of curing you have. It doesn't happen all that often and it doesn't last for all that long. If your character is already pretty buff and you're well out of the early game, that's a good artifact unless you're desperately low on potions of curing. That said, +6 slay is the really big deal there, rPois is very helpful during certain lair branches, and otherwise never really necessary and rC+ reduces the scariness of certain enemies, but I have won quite a few games without ever having it at all. The most important resistance until you know the game really, really well is MR. Status effects are Very Bad. After that, you want rF, and every character needs rF+ to rF++ for Zot. Other resistances are situational, so that ring is good, but doesn't give you anything you need, in my opinion. But if you're feeling badass and have a good supply of curing, definitely wear it!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

*Confuse isn't the end of the world, depending on where you are in the game and how many potions of curing you have. It doesn't happen all that often and it doesn't last for all that long. If your character is already pretty buff and you're well out of the early game, that's a good artifact unless you're desperately low on potions of curing. That said, +6 slay is the really big deal there, rPois is very helpful during certain lair branches, and otherwise never really necessary and rC+ reduces the scariness of certain enemies, but I have won quite a few games without ever having it at all. The most important resistance until you know the game really, really well is MR. Status effects are Very Bad. After that, you want rF, and every character needs rF+ to rF++ for Zot. Other resistances are situational, so that ring is good, but doesn't give you anything you need, in my opinion. But if you're feeling badass and have a good supply of curing, definitely wear it!

I think I'll pass, I don't have any potions of curing.

Edit: gently caress.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 17, 2016

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Why is your max HP so low, in Snake? Maybe I've been playing too many Ogres, but, I feel that's really low for midgame-tackling-S-branches. Are you training Fighting at all?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

C7ty1 posted:

Why is your max HP so low, in Snake? Maybe I've been playing too many Ogres, but, I feel that's really low for midgame-tackling-S-branches. Are you training Fighting at all?
I found Snake:1 at Lair:5 and had no idea what it was, since it was the first time I got so far into the game, so I went in thinking that the difficulty level will be roughly the same as in Lair:5 which I did sweep with no effort. I was training fighting, though my training was all over the place for reasons I mentioned on the previous page.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

For next time, staircases to other areas that you find in lair are for later, never enter them right away unless you know exactly what you're doing. There are four possible branches, of which you'll find two, that are mid game content, then there's Slime, an optional, end game branch that you can find at the bottom of lair. My standard procedure is to do all of lair, then the dungeon to 12, then do orc (you can absolutely do orc earlier, but it's usually best to leave it until after lair unless you know what you're doing), then do the dungeon to 15, then do the mid game lair branches. Otherwise, you'll run into something like shock serpents or shock wasps, which are nasty and unfair even for characters that are the right level for that branch and will simply destroy you if you're there early and unprepared.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

kalstrams posted:

I found Snake:1 at Lair:5 and had no idea what it was, since it was the first time I got so far into the game, so I went in thinking that the difficulty level will be roughly the same as in Lair:5 which I did sweep with no effort. I was training fighting, though my training was all over the place for reasons I mentioned on the previous page.

It's an understandable mistake, Lair teaches you to go into a new branch immediately, but new dungeon areas are always nastier than the dungeon they split off from, and the deeper the branch splits, the more intense this gets.

Lair has five different possible branches, but you'll get there of them in any game. Snake or Spider, Swamp or Shoals, and Slime. The first four are where the midgame really kicks in and you should examine and look up every new monster you encounter there, as they are considerably nastier, and often have abilities and mechanics the game expects you to play around. Slime is endgame level. x-v to examine their details and learndb should help you know what you're getting into.

Bottom floors of each branch are also always a difficulty bump. Ctrl-O shows you how many floors there are in each branch of the dungeon and where the branches can be located. Don't go to Vaults 5 for example until you've done just about everything else you can, because it is a gauntlet of a fight.

Edit: shock serpents are a good example of why you should look up details on enemy monsters, especially midgame on, and double especially if you haven't seen them before. Shock Serpents are very fast enemies, tougher than most things you've dealt with so far, and whenever you hit them they release an electrical discharge which ignores your armor entirely. Electricity resistance means you only take 33% damage from electricity, but it is rare, so they're often a much bigger threat than you'd maybe expect. Learndb is a good place to get a quick primer on new enemies, as well as examining them and their ability descriptions in-game.

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 17, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I usually just check http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots when I don't get something, but I'll keep learndb and looking up everyone, after lair of beasts, D:11, and orcish mines, in mind. Same link I posted doesn't have anything on shock serpents, surprisingly enough (for me at least, usually it gives me the answer I seek).

What's so bad about D:12, by the way?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

kalstrams posted:

From D:12 on, the enemy spawns are closer to what you would see in the Vaults (mid-late game branch) compared to the rest of the Dungeon, such as packs of ugly things, packs of slime creatures, packs of skeletal warriors, deep Elf mages, and cyclopes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I see, that doesn't sound all too pleasant.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also IIRC d:11 is the latest the entrance to Lair can possibly show up.

Orc can show up as late as d:12, but it's usually best to do lair first anyways.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kalstrams posted:

I usually just check http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots when I don't get something, but I'll keep learndb and looking up everyone, after lair of beasts, D:11, and orcish mines, in mind. Same link I posted doesn't have anything on shock serpents, surprisingly enough (for me at least, usually it gives me the answer I seek).

The second of the bots on that page is the learndb info. Also it definitely has shock serpents in it.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Still on that DE blaster. What's more important for extended, Controlled Blink or Necromutation?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Maha posted:

Still on that DE blaster. What's more important for extended, Controlled Blink or Necromutation?

....Both?

I'm not totally on the same level of agreement on this with other players, but I value Controlled Blink a great deal since the changes where -cTele is pretty much extinct. I might value it a bit too much..., but I will go way, way out of my way for it if it's in the cards.

That said, Necromutation is really, really good. Unless you have an outstanding reason not to, I'd shoot for both. Necromutation is probably more important immediately unless you are exceptionally fragile, in which case cBlink is a strong answer to nearly every threat.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The second of the bots on that page is the learndb info. Also it definitely has shock serpents in it.

What the gently caress, I swear to god I was tried to look up shock serpent in there before making the post you quote. I guess I should've explicitly typed Shock serpent instead of looking up words 'shock' and 'serpent' in two separate queries.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

dpeg posted:

In Zot, I realised I had no way of dealing with orbs of fire.

You can kinda blow through OoF with any kiku character by just spamming corpse delivery and making a legion of dragon simulacrums. They will die in droves to fireballs but you can seriously spam a lot of dudes that way. Not like you need to horde that piety anyways.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Can everybody just stop dying for a while so I can make it through a floor without a ghost

Thanks!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can everybody just stop dying for a while so I can make it through a floor without a ghost

Thanks!

I try but then I die to a ghost!!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I feel like my knowledge of the game is good enough to win every single character, but my love for auto-exploring and holding tab without thought kills me 99% of the time. I'm not usually impatient, it's just that I trust the dice too much. If there's a 75% chance of winning, then I consider death to be justified if I lose to those odds.

I'll get another win for Crawl of Duty before Sunday. I just need to stop trying to win under odd banner circumstances, and stop playing when I'm tired. In the mean time, here's another thing.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 18, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

I feel like my knowledge of the game is good enough to win every single character, but my love for auto-exploring and holding tab without thought kills me 99% of the time. I'm not usually impatient, it's just that I trust the dice too much. If there's a 75% chance of winning, then I consider death to be justified if I lose to those odds.

I'll get another win for Crawl of Duty before Sunday. I just need to stop trying to win under odd banner circumstances, and stop playing when I'm tired. In the mean time, here's another thing.

At least you didn't just splat this in a completely avoidable situation :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just entered Lair:3, and it says 'hurry up blah blah there is volcan blah blah'. I have plate armour of fire resistance, a ring of protection from fire, and can swap +1 plate for +0 fire dragon armour. Whatdo?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

kalstrams posted:

Just entered Lair:3, and it says 'hurry up blah blah there is volcan blah blah'. I have plate armour of fire resistance, a ring of protection from fire, and can swap +1 plate for +0 fire dragon armour. Whatdo?

That means there's an optional level that will disappear after a while. If you autoexplore, you might miss it. Equip all your fire resistance, read a magic mapping scroll if you have one, and find the portal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jerkstoresup posted:

That means there's an optional level that will disappear after a while. If you autoexplore, you might miss it. Equip all your fire resistance, read a magic mapping scroll if you have one, and find the portal.
Yeah, I was just wondering if I can rush into this one like temporary levels in regular dungeon, or if I'll get my rear end handed to me there like in Snakes etcera. I have magic mapping scroll, so I'll head out there with my fire dragon armour.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, I was just wondering if I can rush into this one like temporary levels in regular dungeon, or if I'll get my rear end handed to me there like in Snakes etcera. I have magic mapping scroll, so I'll head out there with my fire dragon armour.

The difficulty is based on how far it is. A Lair 1 fire branch will be easier than a Lair 7 fire branch, to my understanding. They have difficult enemies compared to the level they're spawned in, but manageable if you have the appropriate resistances.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Unless your primary damage source is fire or necromancy (most volcano enemies are immune to one or both) volcanos aren't that bad.

In the worst case, nearly every single temporary portal level has an exit spawn right next to your start location so you can bail immediately if it looks ugly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jerkstoresup posted:

The difficulty is based on how far it is. A Lair 1 fire branch will be easier than a Lair 7 fire branch, to my understanding. They have difficult enemies compared to the level they're spawned in, but manageable if you have the appropriate resistances.
Yeah I think I just cleared it without taking any notable damage, unless there's something more beyond this firespitter statue or whatever in the heck, time to ask the knowledge bot what's up.

Darox posted:

Unless your primary damage source is fire or necromancy (most volcano enemies are immune to one or both) volcanos aren't that bad.

In the worst case, nearly every single temporary portal level has an exit spawn right next to your start location so you can bail immediately if it looks ugly.
It was alright, I have war axe of draining (MiFi).

Edit: Killed the statue with crossbow. That was the end indeed.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 18, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
reposting from tavern

while stairdancing as a beogh worshipper(so I have orc followers), my orc sorcerer summoned a chaos spawn, the chaos spawn died, leaving behind a cloud of chaos, one of my orc warlords just kinda casually walked into the cloud of chaos and got first petrified and then got turned into a shapeshifter(not polymorph, a separate and different chaos effect), then shapeshifted into an Apis, which is a holy creature, then since he was an Apis he became enraged because I was a beogh follower and beogh is an evil god, so me and my other orc warlords murdered him, and then because he was turned into a shapeshifter(not polymorphed) by that rare chaos effect instead of dropping an orc corpse he dropped a shapeshifter corpse and I was unable to use beogh's resurrect on him.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

-MR livable?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a +4 war axe is mediocre no matter what else it has.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

a +4 war axe is mediocre no matter what else it has.
My other options are:

I'm fairly paranoid about ditching shield and I do not have a substantial amount of scrolls to pump into the broad and/or executioneer's axes (were I comfortable to ditch shield in favour of latter to begin with).

Either way, I've cleared Orc, Lair, D:11 - so I guess now I pray D:12 through D:15 give me enough good stuff to go into Shoals, Spider, Slime, and Elf?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kalstrams posted:

My other options are:

demon trident. done.

jerkstoresup posted:

beautiful

what's the bridge?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Use the broad axe(and hit 18 skill), drop all the war axes. Maybe use the demon trident, especially if you wanna use necromancy. It's a good one hander and it's already +7 so you won't need to worry about enchant scrolls if you use it. The executioner's axe is a 2 hander and you're invested in shields now so unless you really wanna use it I would also drop that.

Don't go into slime until lategame, probably don't go into elf period unless you have good MR(or at least not elf 3). Once you do the lair branches, do vaults 1-4, and then decide whether you want to do vaults 5, slime, or abyss for your 3rd rune. Maybe do a bit of depths for XP before getting the 3rd rune.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 18, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

The difficulty is based on how far it is. A Lair 1 fire branch will be easier than a Lair 7 fire branch, to my understanding.

nope

ice caves have exactly two difficulty variants, depending on where they show up (only later ice caves have Ice Fiends, for example). no other portal varies at all in difficulty by where they show up. a lair:1 volcano will be just as nasty as a lair:8 one.

figuring out what portals you're tough enough to enter is a trial and error thing, more or less. live and learn... die and learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Use the broad axe(and hit 18 skill), drop all the war axes. Maybe use the demon trident, especially if you wanna use necromancy. It's a good one hander and it's already +7 so you won't need to worry about enchant scrolls if you use it. The executioner's axe is a 2 hander and you're invested in shields now so unless you really wanna use it I would also drop that.

Don't go into slime until lategame, probably don't go into elf period unless you have good MR(or at least not elf 3). Once you do the lair branches, do vaults 1-4, and then decide whether you want to do vaults 5, slime, or abyss for your 3rd rune. Maybe do a bit of depths for XP before getting the 3rd rune.

wait, are you recommending he do vaults:5 before depths?

• Locked thread