Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

\
femtosecond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Boomers need separate rooms for every activity. You can't just have one big living room that has your TV and is where you hang out with guests.

My parents, who are always stressed about finances have:
1 formal dining room that is used once every few years, tops. It's very upsetting that this room isn't fully decked out in the most expensive furniture.
1 very large formal living room that is used maybe once a year and needs to be stocked with expensive sofas and tables and decor and kept immaculate.
1 large living room that is actually used for most guests.
1 large basement living room that is used for watching movies/sports with friends.
1 large spare bedroom that is totally empty save for a single small desk for a laptop.
2 very large bedrooms
1 medium sized bedroom
A full basement suite that is unused
Every used room also needs a TV

I tell them selling would solve all their problems, even just downsizing to a 2 br house with a basement den or something would see them set for life financially. But moving is scary and they have a hard time imagining living in a smaller space, so it's never going to happen.

Our dining room and living room are and were one loving room, and we actually dine and eat there. You loving people spend rooms like NASA spends first stage boosters

I knew people that had all this loving poo poo growing up. Their parents were assholes and their kids were assholes, I hope you all end up in crushing poverty you do nothing fucks

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Tighclops posted:

Our dining room and living room are and were one loving room, and we actually dine and eat there. You loving people spend rooms like NASA spends first stage boosters

I knew people that had all this loving poo poo growing up. Their parents were assholes and their kids were assholes, I hope you all end up in crushing poverty you do nothing fucks

:nallears:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THC posted:

Vacancy solution for Vancouver? Tear down old rental buildings and replace them with high-end condos

Daves Goodman and Hutniak, the same assholes who wanted to overhaul the tenancy regs because it's so hard on the poor suffering landlords. Yes clearly these gentlemen just want to promote affordable rental housing!

Also, lol, CBC "Analysis". Basically "this guy said a thing". Refers to "growing calls" which are mostly coming from that guy.

This is just shameless. They could assemble single family houses go through the rezoning process, but you know that'd be hard and expensive. Better to try to get the city to change the rules so they don't have to deal with NIMBYs. The poor people they evict from apartments won't make as much of a fuss.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Tighclops posted:

Cool condo life. I have a separate dining room with a custom hardwood table, but I just use the room for baby stroller storage in the house.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've seen it only mentioned a few places, but the best way to help density would be to get rid of the idea of "buildings can be built this big or any smaller size" and flip that around. As long as billionaires and millionaires can put detached houses where 3flats, or even skyscrapers exist, you'll always have density problems.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
~*density problems*~

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

mastershakeman posted:

I've seen it only mentioned a few places, but the best way to help density would be to get rid of the idea of "buildings can be built this big or any smaller size" and flip that around. As long as billionaires and millionaires can put detached houses where 3flats, or even skyscrapers exist, you'll always have density problems.

In Seattle the building height limits are pretty short because the FAA said that any taller and flight paths to SeaTac would be impacted. Does Vancouver have a similar issue?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

We don't have a density problem. We have a massive speculative bubble problem.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

if it was a density problem rent would be out of control here too. it's expensive but rental rates aren't growing anywhere near as fast as home prices. seattle has home prices almost half vancouver's and rent twice as high

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Even if you're skeptical of the density thing, you should be strongly in favour of it as a mechanism to relentlessly undermine the scarcity of housing. So tired of reading "density :rolleyes:" attitudes in here from posters who would clearly benefit.

Also: Vancouver is loving suburbia south of 12th. Density would, you know, improve that.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Even if you're skeptical of the density thing, you should be strongly in favour of it as a mechanism to relentlessly undermine the scarcity of housing. So tired of reading "density :rolleyes:" attitudes in here from posters who would clearly benefit.

Also: Vancouver is loving suburbia south of 12th. Density would, you know, improve that.

Why do you want to increase density? Personally I could give a poo poo if more people can live in Vancouver proper. gently caress em

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Density is the reason my condo has gone up only $100k in the last year instead of $200k. Bridges are a mess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Today I got lost driving to Metrotown. GVA is too big. I ended up in New West because I didn't actually look at Google maps and just went "ok get off at the Canada Way exit got it" and then when the streets turned into numbers I was like "oh poo poo I've gone too far"

Anyway, my mom has a house with like two separate living rooms. I guess one could technically be a dining room or something. She's considered selling it and either getting something smaller or renting, but then always settles on waiting until she retires, because she's not retiring in Mission because gently caress that place and she just doesn't want to move and deal with the hassle of buying and selling a place and paying all the fees only to move again in five years.

She's almost paid the whole thing off since she bought it off my dad for $350k less than ten years ago though (and they had like no equity in it at the time since my dad would pay the HELOC and then take the money back out and put it in a savings account in his name only without telling her and guess why they got divorced!!), on a single teachers' salary while helping pay my brother's rent, so I don't think she qualifies as "bad with money" like a lot of other people here's parents.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
^^^^ I get lost every time I drive through whistler, because the street names are retarded and the street layout even more so. It's like trying to drive in fuckin' disneyland.

Lacrosse posted:

In Seattle the building height limits are pretty short because the FAA said that any taller and flight paths to SeaTac would be impacted. Does Vancouver have a similar issue?

No, because our airport is on an island bounded on three sides by vast amounts of water.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

^^^^ I get lost every time I drive through whistler, because the street names are retarded and the street layout even more so. It's like trying to drive in fuckin' disneyland.

Whistler village has like two streets though?

If you get out into the random neighborhoods though yeah it gets really weird and crazy.

Rime posted:

No, because our airport is on an island bounded on three sides by vast amounts of water.
I always wonder if people landing from the west that have never been to Vancouver before start freaking out that the plane's going to land in the water since the runway starts like 100m inland haha.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
how does google maps even work??????????????

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Uh I'm too cheap for a data plan, I had to stop at a gas station at like 6th and 10th or whatever and look at my handy book of maps of the lower mainland :colbert:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Boomers can't downsize because then they'd have nowhere to store their truckloads of sentimental knickknacks they've accumulated over the last 30 years and hardly use or look at. Hell will freeze over before their children get out of spending 6 months arguing over who gets the serving platters and/or feeling guilty for donating all that poo poo to goodwill when they pass.

Single Family Home = Storage For Hogwash

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

HookShot posted:

Uh I'm too cheap for a data plan, I had to stop at a gas station at like 6th and 10th or whatever and look at my handy book of maps of the lower mainland :colbert:

:eng101: Here maps, formerly Nokia Maps and now jointly owned by BMW, Audi and Mercedes, can be used completely offline, with all maps and voice navigation downloaded to your phone, sync your phone to your car via bluetooth and have both music and nav at the same time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

:eng101: Here maps, formerly Nokia Maps and now jointly owned by BMW, Audi and Mercedes, can be used completely offline, with all maps and voice navigation downloaded to your phone, sync your phone to your car via bluetooth and have both music and nav at the same time.

That's super cool, thanks!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
jesus christ loving google maps has an offline mode

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
For 8 years now I've been working full time on the internet and sometimes I still feel like an 80 year old who just learned Facebook is a thing that exists.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

THC posted:

We don't have a density problem. We have a massive speculative bubble problem.

There's a massive speculative bubble problem, but there is definitely a shortage of housing as well. If there wasn't a housing shortage Vancouver wouldn't have a 0.6% vacancy rate. Something around 3% is considered healthy. There have been signs of overbuilding and excess supply in Australia but there's no evidence of that in Vancouver. I think the amount of multi-unit housing starts in Vancouver is nearing its all time peak, but it'll take a few years for that stuff to appear on the market. There could be a glut resulting out of this but that would be in 2017-18 maybe.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The 0.6% vacancy rate is for purpose built rentals

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

Every condo building in the city could be vacant and Vancouver would have a 0.6% vacancy rate.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Holy poo poo you're right. I never realized that the CMHC actually discerns between "apartment" as in purpose built rental and "secondary rental units," which are condominiums. Every casual article I've ever read about this just lists a single value and is usually talking about just purpose built rental. The survey comes out twice a year and as it appears that condo data is only included in the Fall report. Here's the most recent report that includes condo data which is Fall 2015. In this report the apartment vacancy is 0.8 and condo vacancy is 0.9. It's still sub 1.0% and very low.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Probably like 3 buildings in the entire city are purpose built rentals.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
how the gently caress is vacancy rate so volatile

that's nuts

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

how the gently caress is vacancy rate so volatile

that's nuts

The upward trend in '08 is from the global economy crashing and massive amounts of churn in the market. The downturn, well:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Why are height and floorspace restrictions and setback and parking requirements gospel to urban planners? Job security?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

yippee cahier posted:

Why are height and floorspace restrictions and setback and parking requirements gospel to urban planners? Job security?

I remember someone saying something about planners wanting to "sculpt" skylines, which would explain height restrictions (whether this actually does anything is questionable). Floorspace is a zoning density thing, but in Vancouver it doesn't mean anything since Concord et al. can easily pressure city hall into changing the zoning to suit their desires. Parking space makes the most sense, since if it isn't mandated a developer will try to build as little as possible which shunts parking to the street, which ultimately puts pressure to create more street parking spots which increase congestion. Hastings street is a good example of what happens when this isn't well planned; There is no way new parking areas can appear at this point and they cannot eliminate street parking because then there is nowhere for people to park and business owners there won't have any of that, so we get a tremendously congested street that slows even public transit a great deal. Of course, were those spaces removed, traffic density would eventually increase to take up the slack, so gently caress it, I dunno.

Urban Planning masquerades as proactive but is predominantly reactive, and those restrictions are mostly them trying to seem as though they're thinking ahead. If zoning is at the whim of property developers than it means gently caress all.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Lexicon posted:

The problem is that the only form density ever seems to take is Thorncliffe Park, St. James Town, or Liberty Village (the high-rise slum of the future). Perhaps that's why some of us are skeptical.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

tagesschau posted:

The problem is that the only form density ever seems to take is Thorncliffe Park, St. James Town, or Liberty Village (the high-rise slum of the future). Perhaps that's why some of us are skeptical.

loving this. Also, show that increasing density in Vancouver is going to have an impact on anything. Once again I remind everyone that units under construction are at an all time high at like 30k. This is conclusive proof that it's doesn't loving matter what is going on with the supply demand curve when speculative mania has taken over.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

loving this. Also, show that increasing density in Vancouver is going to have an impact on anything. Once again I remind everyone that units under construction are at an all time high at like 30k. This is conclusive proof that it's doesn't loving matter what is going on with the supply demand curve when speculative mania has taken over.

Well it's the best place in the world (if you've not been to the rest of the world at any point).

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I could never not live in Vancouver, everywhere else in Canada is cold and miserable!

*lives under a tarp covered box*
*would prefer to not need the tarp but it rains 3/4 of the year*

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

I could never not live in Vancouver, everywhere else in Canada is cold and miserable!

*lives under a tarp covered box*
*would prefer to not need the tarp but it rains 3/4 of the year*

Well sure, it sounds crazy when you say it like that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
joke's on you eviljoven thanks to global warming it doesn't really rain here anymore

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
pffft, Vancouver has ~165 rainy days with ~1190mm rain total in a year. My home land has ~225 rainy days and ~3399mm of rain in a year. You sweet summer children know nothing but thin sheets of falling mist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
A guy plots 30 years of San Francisco Rental Ads.

It's funny, I was up at 1am last night trying to think of ways to find the exact same data for Vancouver, because I wanted to demonstrate visually how far out of touch rents have become with wages here since the 1970's, especially with the minimum wage.

Good article, do read.