Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

You could almost say that about any game...for example:

I mean really, if you're going for the "I am troll hear me whine about something I haven't played because I'm a simpleton babby whose opinions hinge on what others think" you need to put more effort in

No I'm not trolling I'm just bitter about fallout 4 which was the previous major release from the same company so it's not like I picked a random game for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

rodbeard posted:

No I'm not trolling I'm just bitter about fallout 4 which was the previous major release from the same company so it's not like I picked a random game for comparison.

Bethesda didn't make it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm really happy that the new Odin Sphere Leifthrasir includes the entirety of the original game within it. Not a fan of the new combat system or skills or whatever? Start up Classic Mode, and play the game as if it was released for the first time, today! Except in HD and without all the godawful slowdown.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ArtIsResistance posted:

This but Command and Conquer Renegade instead

C&C Renegade was goddamn awesome. Going back and forth between indoor and outdoor enviornments and pilotable vehicles is no big thing now, but at the time it wasn't really something you saw anywhere else.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kimahri was hot garbage for bad people, with how overall worse he was at anything and everything you'd want out of other party members, but his place in the story was actually pretty nice. He doesn't get that much in lines and development for himself, because he's a quiet dude, but you basically rip off his tough persona through chatting with other people. He's actually a huge protective and loyal softie who got into the Guardian business to protect others, because nobody was around to protect him when he was young. Shame about that whole "unknowingly marching people to their deaths" part though

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Between this thread and a couple of podcasts that I've been listening to all talking about FFX all at the same time for some reason...I kind of want to play it again, if only for the systems. The first time, I really disliked it, especially the characters, all of whom I thought were terrible (except Auron). And the stupid plot. But there've been times I've revisited games and enjoyed them much more than the first time...so eh maybe I'll give it a shot now that I got my hands on a Vita.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thecluckmeme posted:

Kimahri was hot garbage for bad people, with how overall worse he was at anything and everything you'd want out of other party members, but his place in the story was actually pretty nice. He doesn't get that much in lines and development for himself, because he's a quiet dude, but you basically rip off his tough persona through chatting with other people. He's actually a huge protective and loyal softie who got into the Guardian business to protect others, because nobody was around to protect him when he was young. Shame about that whole "unknowingly marching people to their deaths" part though

He also basically sat in the bushes and watched Tidus and Yuna defile a pond. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Between this thread and a couple of podcasts that I've been listening to all talking about FFX all at the same time for some reason...

Probably because it just came out on PC.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I picked up Max Payne 3 again after putting it down for like literally a year or two and I just like Max's wrinkled-rear end suit that he wears in the beginning of Part II that he clearly picked up from a wadded ball in the corner of his room.

Also when Max decides to stop drinking, every liquor bottle you come across from then on is empty.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I've gotten back into Xenoblade Chronicles and I really don't think any game has a better sense of your character becoming more powerful. It's so satisfying to go back and wreck all the monsters that used to pop out of nowhere and murk you

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

thecluckmeme posted:

Eh, he knew that part though. Tidus was the only one who didn't since he's not from Spira. It seems that basically everyone knows when a summoner goes on a pilgrimage, they're not coming back. Either they'll die on the way or get killed in the final summoning. The reason people are so jovial about it is that it's become so standard that it's just easier to embrace it with a cheerful disposition that they're at least getting some time to not worry about Sin, rather than face the crushing realization that they're just sacrificing people.

FFX's world is depressing as gently caress but the game never really lays it on thick which is kinda awesome.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, the only other person who realizes how hosed up it all is is Rikku's dad, who is also an outsider since he's an Al-Bhed and is the one who set up the entire scheme to kidnap summoners and keep them safe while they used machines to permanently destroy Sin.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Ugly In The Morning posted:

C&C Renegade was goddamn awesome. Going back and forth between indoor and outdoor enviornments and pilotable vehicles is no big thing now, but at the time it wasn't really something you saw anywhere else.

I bought some dude's copy of Renegade off SA mart years ago but I never played it and just used the box to store weed :rip:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ArtIsResistance posted:

I bought some dude's copy of Renegade off SA mart years ago but I never played it and just used the box to store weed :rip:
Good use of the box, bad of the game. I still periodically dust mine off and play it; it's straightforward, goofy, and fun.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

thecluckmeme posted:

He also knew Auron was dead the whole time, what with being the last person Auron talked to before kicking the bucket after Yunalesca wrecked his poo poo. He was nice enough to keep that secret. Also using self destruct to end a boss fight never gets old.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nuebot posted:

Also using self destruct to end a boss fight never gets old.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just found out that Day of The Tentacle got a remastered version. It's my favorite of the old adventure games.

The commentary is pretty great because it's the old designers trying their best to remember the production of a 20 year-old game and having a good time about it.
It's also the adventure game where the puzzles made the most sense but I'm a weirdo.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I'm loving that the weird background hearts in Axiom Verge pulse to the music's beat.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gitro posted:

I'm loving that the weird background hearts in Axiom Verge pulse to the music's beat.

everything does.
The UI animation, trace's (the player character) idle animation, and a bunch of other things.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 15:33 on May 18, 2016

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Inzombiac posted:

I just found out that Day of The Tentacle got a remastered version. It's my favorite of the old adventure games.

The commentary is pretty great because it's the old designers trying their best to remember the production of a 20 year-old game and having a good time about it.
It's also the adventure game where the puzzles made the most sense but I'm a weirdo.

If you like that sort of thing, and you like rare games, click on this poo poo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theshim posted:

Good use of the box, bad of the game. I still periodically dust mine off and play it; it's straightforward, goofy, and fun.

It had so many weird weapons. I loved how the chem sprayer could mutate enemies into vicious goo-blobs that wanted to gently caress up everything around you.

E: Was looking at the weapons on a wiki for shits and giggles. I forgot all about the goddamn personal ion cannon.

And the two sniper rifles are the "hawkeye" and "pierce". As in, one of the main characters on MASH.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 18:05 on May 18, 2016

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

And the two sniper rifles are the "hawkeye" and "pierce". As in, one of the main characters on MASH.

Ha, I remember those. You could never tell if it was going to fire a "funny" or "maudlin" bullet. It's like the director had no control at all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ha! I've already seen this but had forgotten about it, thanks!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Xenoblade Chronicles X and Terraria share a feature I think many more games should have: cosmetic armor slots. Its fun to be able to play dressup with your character while keeping your murderdeath gear's stats. Plus you can mix and match pretty easily.I think in X I've got most of the female characters decked out in sensible pants and hoodies or jackets, which is nice considering all the hooker armor. The men are goobers so I didn't pay as much attention to them other than to give the guy who looked most like Guile a camo tank top.

Also you can put the guy in charge of your military in bunny whiskers or give him horns.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ashsaber posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X and Terraria share a feature I think many more games should have: cosmetic armor slots. Its fun to be able to play dressup with your character while keeping your murderdeath gear's stats. Plus you can mix and match pretty easily.I think in X I've got most of the female characters decked out in sensible pants and hoodies or jackets, which is nice considering all the hooker armor. The men are goobers so I didn't pay as much attention to them other than to give the guy who looked most like Guile a camo tank top.

Also you can put the guy in charge of your military in bunny whiskers or give him horns.

drat, that is pretty awesome. I've always hated how stupid your character starts to look near the end game in most RPGs. I'm especially referring to open world games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. But what are you going to do, not equip yourself in the best armor available?

Oddly enough I noticed this the most in an otherwise great game, Stick of Truth. They did a great job letting you customize your character like crazy, and at some point you'll probably find armor that looks perfect for your character. Unfortunately, in about 30 minutes you'll find something way stronger and you won't be able to justify wearing that marching band uniform anymore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

The correct way to dress him is a wifebeater camo tanktop and the thick black glasses :colbert:.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

LOTR Online has this. Guild Wars 2 as well, if I remember correctly.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I picked up Max Payne 3 again after putting it down for like literally a year or two and I just like Max's wrinkled-rear end suit that he wears in the beginning of Part II that he clearly picked up from a wadded ball in the corner of his room.

Also when Max decides to stop drinking, every liquor bottle you come across from then on is empty.

MP3 ruled so goddamn hard. The music was especially great and several of its tracks made it into my MP3 lists at the time.

Most of the tracks were made by the band Health but all the music was vetted and ok'd by Emicida, a Brazilian rapper who grew up in Sao Paulo (where the game was set). All the music did a great job of matching the gameplay and cutscenes, especially the airport shootout where Max has finally gone sober and vowed to set things right having realized what a complete loving mess he's made of his life and how ashamed his family would be if they knew all the things he'd done.

Spoilers also if you haven't played the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_-NCQlzhA

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

MP3 ruled so goddamn hard. The music was especially great and several of its tracks made it into my MP3 lists at the time.

Most of the tracks were made by the band Health but all the music was vetted and ok'd by Emicida, a Brazilian rapper who grew up in Sao Paulo (where the game was set). All the music did a great job of matching the gameplay and cutscenes, especially the airport shootout where Max has finally gone sober and vowed to set things right having realized what a complete loving mess he's made of his life and how ashamed his family would be if they knew all the things he'd done.

Spoilers also if you haven't played the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_-NCQlzhA

The music is also set to kick in when the gunfight gets rolling in earnest. The whole airport level is kickass, but that terminal shoot out is a highlight of a series that has some phenomenal shootouts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lord Lambeth posted:

LOTR Online has this. Guild Wars 2 as well, if I remember correctly.

It's become pretty standard across all major MMOs since the multiplayer aspect makes looking pretty more important. WoW has transmogrification and FFXIV has glamours.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The music is also set to kick in when the gunfight gets rolling in earnest. The whole airport level is kickass, but that terminal shoot out is a highlight of a series that has some phenomenal shootouts.

The voice acting was also phenomenal and gave us one of the best lines of that year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds2SUbt8hm4

El Topo Magnifico
Dec 31, 2006

You are seven years old.
You are a man now.

The music on that part is actually dynamic. It changes as you're in cover/in the open, shooting/not shooting, reloading, running forward, etc. Tears is an amazing song too. (I absolutely love HEALTH, I was in one of their videos!)

Max Payne 3 has been my favorite shooter, and I picked it up because this thread was gushing about it.

I like in Fallout 4 that if you follow the Institute quest line but don't betray any other factions you can reach a point in a mission where the Brotherhood/Railroad/Institute are basically in all-out war, but all of their attacks won't hurt you since they're all considered allies (even though they're literally blowing each other up). :psypop:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

please tell me there's a mod for Max Payne 3 that makes the cutscenes skippable. I will finally play it again if that is the case because that game is the poster child for really good gameplay surrounded by lovely everything else

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

please tell me there's a mod for Max Payne 3 that makes the cutscenes skippable. I will finally play it again if that is the case because that game is the poster child for really good gameplay surrounded by lovely everything else

Nope. Unskippable cutscenes are hard coded in because they were masking load times on consoles and Rockstar, despite their huge budgets, are kind of hacks. The best you can do is play the arcade mode, which means you only have to sit through the opening 10 minute cutscene of a level. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The worst part is, they really went all out on every other aspect of the PC port. The graphics still hold up, and it runs crazy smooth, but gotta have that fake load time for some reason!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Guy Mann posted:

Published by Konami and developed by LucasArts, a veritable boulevard of broken dreams.

e. :laffo: at the PAL box art.

:zombie::zombie::woop:ZOMBIES:woop::zombie::zombie:

The best part was how there were a ton of weapons in the game, and various monsters had particular weaknesses. Like you could throw silverware at werewolves to kill them quickly, and footballs would distract the football player guys.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The worst part is, they really went all out on every other aspect of the PC port. The graphics still hold up, and it runs crazy smooth, but gotta have that fake load time for some reason!

Better or worse than the like 10-20 minute drives before every heist in GTAOnline?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nohman posted:

Nope. Unskippable cutscenes are hard coded in because they were masking load times on consoles and Rockstar, despite their huge budgets, are kind of hacks. The best you can do is play the arcade mode, which means you only have to sit through the opening 10 minute cutscene of a level. :v:
after reading about the insane way textures are baked into every individual area of every level that does not surprise me in the slightest

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nohman posted:

Wasnt that around the time the mass of cthulhonic hellcode known as Red Dead Redemption was released too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasnt that around the time the mass of cthulhonic hellcode known as Red Dead Redemption was released too?

MP3 was 2 years later. RDR was a one-of-a-kind mess of code. The baked-in textures thing was a result of using an engine made more for open world games, if I'm remembering correctly?