Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
gently caress managing. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Perdido posted:

gently caress managing. That is all.

I wonder if the new overtime rules that just passed are going to make managing in the business better? I might not have quit if I hadn't been making the equivalent of 9 bucks an hour over 65 hours per week.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

navyjack posted:

I wonder if the new overtime rules that just passed are going to make managing in the business better? I might not have quit if I hadn't been making the equivalent of 9 bucks an hour over 65 hours per week.

Suppose it probably depends on what a piece of garbage the company is. When Obama care went into place, my last gig just cut everyone's hours so they didn't qualify.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

navyjack posted:

1) I'm on salary.
2) I'm Canadian.

Really most of my frustration stems from the fact that I'm dealing with the only other manager being a guy who has 4 months experience working for a Canadian equivalent of a T.G.I.Fridays as his only industry experience. It is frustrating dealing with someone who has no time management skills and is generally clueless on things...and won't listen when I try to give him advice.

But whatever, I needed a job, I knew I was gonna be eating poo poo. Just needed to vent/mourn not being behind the wood.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Are you at least getting some kind of performance compensation for sales, costs, etc?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have any experience working any beach bars or more specifically...tropical bars? I've been doing this long enough at almost 29 years old and don't want another serving job beyond the one I have now.....Buuuuuuut, the idea of bartending in a tropical tourist place sounds SO much better than being at a busy rear end college bar. I feel that I have the personality, experience, and uniqueness that I could land a bartending job on an island. The bar I work at is pretty F'n crazy with how busy we are and ridiculously excellent in how we excel at making it all happen.

Of course, moving there and getting there is a whole other story. But surely somebody in here has done it...?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are you at least getting some kind of performance compensation for sales, costs, etc?

Yeah, there are bonuses tied to sales performance figures. Numbers improve, my salary improves.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

89 posted:

Anybody have any experience working any beach bars or more specifically...tropical bars? I've been doing this long enough at almost 29 years old and don't want another serving job beyond the one I have now.....Buuuuuuut, the idea of bartending in a tropical tourist place sounds SO much better than being at a busy rear end college bar. I feel that I have the personality, experience, and uniqueness that I could land a bartending job on an island. The bar I work at is pretty F'n crazy with how busy we are and ridiculously excellent in how we excel at making it all happen.

Of course, moving there and getting there is a whole other story. But surely somebody in here has done it...?

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the Restaurant Industry thread in GWS but there was one beach bartender that used to post. I remember him posting about the following:

Downsides:
- VERY seasonal income. Hope you're good at budgeting and being frugal in the offseason.
- No regulars - always have to be on your A game, and bad weather can wreck your income.
- Limited product selection. Obviously this will depend on where you're working, but in my experience as a customer, resort/destination vacation bars have a very limited selection.

Upsides:
- Some places offer subsidized housing or other amenities to keep your costs down.
- Limited selection also means you get to focus on banging basic drinks and beers rather than making cocktails all day - personal preference of course.
- Captive audience.
- You're living where people vacation, quality of life should be good.

I'm sure whoever that was could say a lot more, but those were my takeaways.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the Restaurant Industry thread in GWS but there was one beach bartender that used to post. I remember him posting about the following:

Downsides:
- VERY seasonal income. Hope you're good at budgeting and being frugal in the offseason.
- No regulars - always have to be on your A game, and bad weather can wreck your income.
- Limited product selection. Obviously this will depend on where you're working, but in my experience as a customer, resort/destination vacation bars have a very limited selection.

Upsides:
- Some places offer subsidized housing or other amenities to keep your costs down.
- Limited selection also means you get to focus on banging basic drinks and beers rather than making cocktails all day - personal preference of course.
- Captive audience.
- You're living where people vacation, quality of life should be good.

I'm sure whoever that was could say a lot more, but those were my takeaways.

I'm currently making about an average of $700 a week where I'm bartending right now. Some people might consider that as needing to live frugally. I disagree as it allows me to do what I need to do. I'm just curious of what the earnings might be around there. At like an island like Saint Maarten in the Caribbean.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

always be closing posted:

Best sweet vermouth for negroni?

Carpano Antica is my favorite in that particular cocktail.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Three offers to get back into the game within the last week. One of them in the place that drove me out of my mind and eventually (mostly) out of the business entirely, with an offer to only work Saturday nights.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Those who have been in management circles or higher up positions, was wondering if you could give any advice.

Been working for about a month now at an "Irish" pub in a fairly affluent neighborhood in my town as a liquor manager, clientele consists of retirees and professionals, college kids and some industry folk (due to our proximity to downtown and the clubs.)

I'm finding that our liquor/beer/wine selection is a little blue collar and it could be a little more white collar. I'm basically handling ordering/inventory and training/working with bar staff to make sure they're up to spec.

Any tips or hints on how to rework a drinks menu, or is it basically just calculated guessing based on what you think will work, ie, looking at what is currently selling and making adjustments based on that and what your gut is telling you?

Anything I can try to get leverage out of from suppliers/reps to try and swing deals? My basic approach to any of them is assume whatever they are selling or trying to push is snake oil due to years of having lovely liquors occupy space on my shelves because the rep swore this was gonna be the next vodka.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 9, 2016

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
What brands are people asking after? What style of booze? Our number one request for something we don't carry is Coors Light. And I know why we don't have it.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Right now, the general sense is that our wine menu is pretty limited (we carry 4 reds, Merlot, Cab-Sauv, Shiraz and a Malbec, for example, and our white wine has a little more selection, about 7 types, but we have like 2 Sauv-Blancs.

They also would like more beer selection. I don't think they're too discerning, but our entire first fridge is dedicated to domestic (Bud/Bud Light/Molson Canadian/Coors Light/Kokanee) and there is some overlap on our taps (we have Canadian taps and bottles.) I live in a town that is getting really beer crazy, lots of micro breweries and poo poo opening up and 2 of the more successful places in town right now are those 'over 10000000 beers on tap' type places. I'm not looking to compete with them or anything, but would like to offer a bit of nuance with our beer selection since I'm not dealing exclusively with drunken college kids who are just looking to get wasted.

Liquor is more of a supplier issue...we went from being strictly a Diageo bar and have stopped stocking some popular liquors in favor of other poo poo. Can't really help it there and I think we have a pretty solid selection, it's just getting the regulars used to change.

I don't think I need to get too fancy...one customer said that we don't carry Stella Artois anymore and he was cranky about that.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Where do you live that you could possibly be solely a Diageo bar? That is loving insane to me.

Sure, some states are controlled by a state ABC and the range of products are limited, but like, did they choose that???? Why would you not make the best deals by negotiating with companies?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I'm up in Canada.

I'm brand new to a lot of this, but my understanding is that certain companies get bars to sign deals and promote/showcase their products. It leads to stupid phrasing and marketing bullshit that leads to a lot of sameness. Club I worked at, the owners liked to crow about how our Well stock was a Premium Well, and we weren't allowed to refer to our Well liquor as Well liquor, but instead 'Premium.' Premium was labeled Super Premium.

It was dumb and no one did it, but the kicker was I was in another town and they had posters with that poo poo on it.

I also shouldn't have said strictly Diageo, bad phrasing on my behalf, as the place I am at had some wiggle room, but the vast majority of our stock was Diageo, particularly the volume poo poo (Rye, Vodka, Gin, Rum, etc.) But the club I worked previous, we couldn't stock other stuff because it was against the contract we had with them. I was trying really hard to convince them to stock Sailor Jerry's because that's what the kids were willing to spend their money on and I was told we couldn't have another spiced rum other than Captain Morgan's.

We also have a lot of really stupid liquor laws which I'm sure plays a factor in some of the silliness.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Any shoe recommendations? I currently wear Shoes for Crews Senators, but I'm gonna need something athletic I can wear with shorts.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Whatever you end up getting, throw some Superfeet Orange insoles in there. Keep me from wanting to saw my feet off from the pain of a 10hr shift regularly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'd recommend something cheap and comfortable, with good insoles, and just consider them disposable.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

FaceEater posted:

Whatever you end up getting, throw some Superfeet Orange insoles in there. Keep me from wanting to saw my feet off from the pain of a 10hr shift regularly.

How long would you say they last before needing replacement?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Faster than your soles and joints, which are harder to replace. Souls and Joints may also seem to fly by working at a bar.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

CubanMissile posted:

How long would you say they last before needing replacement?

Depends on how often you beat on them and for how long, but I've gotten a year out of a pair before I noticed any cracks or damage.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Can someone link me to the "hot girl downward spiral post" I need to read it again for reasons

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
nm found it. this should probably be at the top of every page

CubanMissile posted:

This has nothing to do with Yelp's actual power and everything to do with local bar owners not knowing what they're doing. A local bar owner is usually an average Joe who came into a little money at some point and say "Hey, I'll open a bar." Then through sheer luck that person hit the magical combination of location, staff, and pricing and the bar somehow managed to not fail right away. It leads that person to think they're a genius and they "know the business" and all aspects surrounding it, especially marketing. These people are very behind in technology and since they've never used traditional advertising before they think they don't need it.

The first thing they do is instruct the entire staff that they absolutely need to check-in on Facebook with stuff like "Come see me! Installing hangovers till 12am! :) " and thinking it's going to totally work out. When it doesn't they'll say staff doesn't have enough Facebook friends or isn't checking-in enough and impose mandatory check-ins. Anyone who doesn't do this enough will magically be let go for something unrelated. Never tell your boss how we all see poo poo like this on Facebook all the time and everyone ignores it.

The next step is Yelp. The owners spend weeks trying to think up how to increase business and eventually a light comes on over their heads and they think of a plan to get customers to write a positive Yelp review for a free drink. They think they're the first to come up with this idea. Transient customers don't want to be bothered and eventually the staff runs out of regulars to beg into writing reviews. Staff will even go so far as to get on a customers phone and create a Yelp account for them. Eventually staff gets tired of being desperate and just starts creating multiple Yelp accounts and creates glowing reviews about themselves, meanwhile some customer writes one star reviews because a server is "rude" for having the audacity to charge them for guacamole or something.

After that the Hot Girl plan goes into effect. They hire some hot girls, put them in a corset and some fishnets and throw them out there. Male staff is moved to graveyard shift because all owners think the girls will get robbed or assaulted after 2am. If the owner is unlucky, the girls won't know what they're doing, text all day at work, and ignore customers because they'll just get tips for being hot. If they're lucky the girls will be decent bartenders or servers. If they're really lucky they'll get a smart girl who can convincingly flirt with everyone, and some will go so far as to hold text conversations or go on a date or two (no sex) with the customers and basically establish a constant stable of people they friendzoned who totally think they're going to bang the bartender. But they don't last long because they're smart opportunists and will eventually go work a a nightclub or pool and make $500-1000 a day while trying to avoid sexual harassment from GMs, or they will date a rich guy that takes care of them, or get certified in nursing or radiology and go do that.

The last step is hiring staff that convinces them they have a built-in "following" that will follow them around to this bar if they are hired. Everyone says they can do this and no one can. Their regulars from one side of town aren't going to drive 45 minutes out of their way to be regulars at a new bar because Joe the Cool Guy Bartender works there now. So you just get hired and hope you become well enough friends with the owner or GM to not get fired. So then owners tell staff they need to "promote more" so you see all these service industry people go to all the local bars in the area, buy a drink, tip like fifteen bucks and then be like "Hey bartender, come visit at me at the bar I work at." It doesn't really work unless you're good at making friends with other bartenders or you tip them like $100 for one drink a few times so they really feel obligated. If you're good at this you can get a decent group of service industry people to come see you after there shifts are over. Then they all get fired after some bi-yearly bar staff cleansing and you have to find new regulars all over again.

Basically if you work in a local bar, you can expect the owner to demand that staff become 100% responsible for getting people in the door.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol: that post is so true.

And I totally see that in Wilmington.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I interviewed for a position I really wanted and got turned down because of a lack of experience in craft cocktail bars. Instead they just hired a girl I used to work with that had five months of experience. She has double Ds and is an ex cam whore. She went straight to swing shift. I get it though, every time she checks in on Facebook she gets like eighty likes. Still I hate this loving world and I'm so tired of working graveyard in a shithole.

Edit: Another problem is I got too complacent at the bar I worked at for five years and stopped cultivating industry friends. Pretty daunting though when every Craigslist ad asks you to include a headshot.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 29, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CubanMissile posted:

I interviewed for a position I really wanted and got turned down because of a lack of experience in craft cocktail bars. Instead they just hired a girl I used to work with that had five months of experience. She has double Ds and is an ex cam whore.

:yikes:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that sucks man. But I'm guessing that's the industry.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't get it. As a customer, I want servers/bartenders that are good at their jobs. I can see attractive naked women at strip clubs or on the Internet; I don't need attractive women serving me food or drinks unless they're first and foremost good at their job. And even then I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just saying they shouldn't be excluded or automatically thought less of simply because they happen to be attractive.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
A lot of them are very good at their jobs, but at least give a brother a chance.

I used to be a table games dealer as well. You wanna see bitter? Check out the dealers when they started having hot girls deal blackjack. They were allowed to keep their own tips while we had to share ours and many of them needed to be watched by a floorman personally the entire time because they couldn't count to 21. lol, they tried to have them deal craps as well but that poo poo didn't fly at all because you need to deal that game for three years before getting good enough to not lock up the table for half an hour after every roll when you're in the weeds.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ugh, I've been working 4-5 nights a week at a college town's "queer cheers" for the past 8 months as my first bartending gig. So much of this thread rings true that the parts I've yet to encounter give me a preemptive facepalm.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
A coworker last night was telling me about the time he made $10k in a single night bartending some event for a Very Big Corporation.

It's like the Deadliest Catch but with different crabs involved. God almighty that is insane money. But I've seen this dude sell ice to Eskimos so I can't totally say bullshit, and hearing stories about Vegas style tipping nights it seems plausible.

He tipped out some of his management staff with full cases of Chimay. Good dude.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

That's a big fish story. I'm now doing draft cocktails at music festivals and I can tell you that the daily drink depletion for Coachella was 20k cocktails per day. Over 150 handles. At 15$ a drink. I do exclusive VIP parties for very large corporations where there drinks are free and we burn through 1/8bbl in 20 minutes. 10k$ is a made up, bullshit number.

Also, hey Rosser.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

PT6A posted:

I don't get it. As a customer, I want servers/bartenders that are good at their jobs. I can see attractive naked women at strip clubs or on the Internet; I don't need attractive women serving me food or drinks unless they're first and foremost good at their job. And even then I don't really care one way or the other, I'm just saying they shouldn't be excluded or automatically thought less of simply because they happen to be attractive.

Believe me, we want it too. But in this thread most people's names aren't on the shingle.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
When I open a bar it's going to be "m0yashi presents 'Durrr'"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PT6A posted:

It's a viable business model as long as everything else is at least acceptable. People sure as poo poo don't go to Hooters for the food.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Choom Gangster posted:

That's a big fish story. I'm now doing draft cocktails at music festivals and I can tell you that the daily drink depletion for Coachella was 20k cocktails per day. Over 150 handles. At 15$ a drink. I do exclusive VIP parties for very large corporations where there drinks are free and we burn through 1/8bbl in 20 minutes. 10k$ is a made up, bullshit number.

Also, hey Rosser.

I work in Las Vegas where slot machines are built into bars and it's not uncommon for locals to tip 10% of their winnings. The most I've ever made was $3,200 in a night and before that $800. The only person I've ever heard of making 10k was a cocktail server on opening weekend at XS who got arrested for blowing dudes in the private cabanas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's not making $10k in tips, that's making $10k as a prostitute who also serves drinks.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
No poo poo, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Two girls I know walked out with $4k 2 weekends ago at a club downtown. There was some big carnival sideshow thing from Vegas that was doing a stop and it was gangbusters there. This isn't getting into our crazy territory, which starts this Friday. I know folks who have walked with $10k, but that's from poo poo like having Prince Harry or professional athletes coming in and partying.

Some of the corporate oil and gas parties also got a little Sodom and Gammorah-y, with lots of money flying around. Not since the recession hit, though.

It's also really few and far between.

• Locked thread