Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Phone posted:

I have a team in NC. Our poo poo got kicked in and we're getting it fixed. Depending on how Chump goes, we might be shopping around for a new series.

If you haven't been there, CMP is brutal on brakes.

WRL has everything you need. And no 600 page rule book. There's a race at VIR in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Phone posted:

I have a team in NC. Our poo poo got kicked in and we're getting it fixed. Depending on how Chump goes, we might be shopping around for a new series.

If you haven't been there, CMP is brutal on brakes.

We have done it 2 or 3 times, but only the short track version,. And yeah, we went through a ton of brake pads and brake fluid on our '84 300zx, I think they caught fire once or twice too. I sort of assumed it was the car (we weren't very successful), but I will check with our leader and make sure we are prepared.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

drgitlin posted:

WRL has everything you need. And no 600 page rule book. There's a race at VIR in December.

Everything I need, except decent scheduling.

e: Or fields larger than the average Spec Miata field.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 29, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

Was going to say WRL as well, we're loving it. AMP, VIR and CMP are all on the schedule this year.

FatCow posted:

Scheduling and total number of races is getting better each year. Field size depends a lot on where the race is. We've seen low 20's but we've also seen 90+

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FatCow posted:

A new race in a region the series is just moving into on a weekend when it snows will of course have a small field. But as nitrospazzz says, once people know about it you get 90 car fields.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

drgitlin posted:

A new race in a region the series is just moving into on a weekend when it snows will of course have a small field. But as nitrospazzz says, once people know about it you get 90 car fields.

Always hit or miss up this way on those early weekends. Wish I had a reliable group to split costs with. I may just recruit some friends to co-drive my car next year.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

drgitlin posted:

-2015-
MSRH - 34
CMP - 17 (At pretty much the best time for weather here)
BIR - 17
TWS - 13
HPR - 31
RMS - 26 (Combined with Lucky dog, 2x the classes)
AMP - 12
RPM - 24
RPM - 24
Gingerman - 22
HPR - 22
Hallett - 29
TWS - 29

-2016-
COTA - 77
Mid-Ohio - 19
TWS - 34

If they pull 25 people for a weekend at VIR they'll be broke. For a typical 9am-5pm HPDE VIR-F is $15k/day in the off season. Keep in mind most of those races have 4 classes, assuming an even split you're talking 6 cars in class. I'm all for them succeeding and I'll likely debate signing up for the December event with another person and just use it as an HPDE. But honestly, with those car counts you're better off just signing up for a track weekend with Chin. You'll get more track time and it'll cost a little more than 1/2 as much. You can spend the savings on some plastic trophies and gift certificates at Saferacer to give yourself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

It's true WRL is small fields which is good and bad but some of those numbers aren't correct. 2015 first TWS had 88 cars registered to start before the weekend, 93 cars started Saturday morning. Not saying they're all wrong or that any other ones are wrong.

I don't mind the small fields myself but I do worry if they continue to have low numbers they aren't going to last which is a shame because I much prefer it to Chump and we won't run Lemons.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I pulled them all from Race Hero, going by whatever the first feature looking race was for that weekend.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anybody else race WRL at TWS this weekend? We ended up deciding last night to run on Sunday. Ended up getting P1 in GP4.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ColdPie posted:

I'm doing the Slowpokes event on Friday, and I bought a hotel for Fri/Sat nights, so I'll be there all weekend. We'll be in touch.

Just got confirmation we're running the slowpokes event Friday as well :hfive: Time to see if the ugly pig can hang with your Z4

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just got confirmation we're running the slowpokes event Friday as well :hfive: Time to see if the ugly pig can hang with your Z4

Awesome. I won't be hard to find, so just come say hi.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Apparently Hyperfest at VIR is going to be a cool, wet weekend. Hurrah.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rename it to Hydrofest.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I did a lapping day at the Mosport DDT track this weekend. Rain is good for teaching you to be smooth. Ended up facing the wrong way twice.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Human Grand Prix posted:

I did a lapping day at the Mosport DDT track this weekend. Rain is good for teaching you to be smooth. Ended up facing the wrong way twice.

It's also kind of nice in that it gets your heart pounding dealing with low traction while never really hurting your tires or brakes. I did Lemons a couple months back in an '83 El Camino in the rain, and that was exciting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Rename it to Hydrofest.

Why yes, I do miss the old days of ESPN2.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Sigma X posted:

Apparently Hyperfest at VIR is going to be a cool, wet weekend. Hurrah.

To quote phone over gtalk. "Spec Miata is going to be a loving bloodbath"

I just hope SM lead doesn't wreck me when they pass.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

To quote phone over gtalk. "Spec Miata is going to be a loving bloodbath"

I just hope SM lead doesn't wreck me when they pass.

It's gonna be awesome.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

My first day of this year was at a soaked bedford autodrome and I also managed two spins. Although the second was pushing a bit too much on a drying track with the instructor. Saying that there were tonnes of people spinning out in those conditions so it wasnt too bad.

Tomorrow I've got an evening at brands hatch booked and the forecasts are all saying its going to rain. I'm a bit more apprehensive because unlike bedford there isnt a tonne of runoff and its not completely flat.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I ended up not going to leguna yesterday.

I'm now considering a trip to thubderhill and a trip to leguna both in July at around $750 all told.
Wtf is wrong with me?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

ilkhan posted:

I'm now considering a trip to thubderhill and a trip to leguna both in July at around $750 all told.
Wtf is wrong with me?

Nothing. You are a perfect shining star for mankind to behold.

I had to cancel Sonoma last Monday and I'm out of town next week. Me want track time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ilkhan posted:

Wtf is wrong with me?

You can't spell "Laguna." :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
What is it with lovely weather and track days? Snow at Mid Ohio last month, then it pissed down with rain at Summit Point today. Happily it cleared up after lunch, and I got to drive a Cayman GT4.

OMFG that car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I rode Chuckwalla last month - it got cold in the early afternoon and started sprinking so it turned into an open trackday more-or-less with only 3-5 of us on track (no sessions, ride as much as you want for as long as you want).
Was spinning up the rear a lot and having fun until someone right in front of me had a major major highside out of 5. I packed up and went home after that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Wtf is wrong with me?

Hope you and your car have good cooling systems. Thill gets hot as balls in the summer. Done it once, would not reprat.
Lseca in the summer is sweet. Stay in salinas if you want to be cheap or the yha in monterrey if you want to be reeaaaally cheap (and not sleep).

I loved rain days on tracks with lots of run off. It forces you to be a way better driver and consumable costs are brought way, way down. Also if you have a subaru, you can gently caress with way faster cars -- "your rear wiper was taunting me" -- z06 driver.
The above is only true if you don't hit a tire wall.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 18, 2016

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
There is a Wikco motorcycle tire changer with the swing arm assembly near me for pretty cheap. Been needing a tire changer for the track car... Think that one will work to change car tires?

I guess the worst case is I can't figure out how to use it and give it to my cousin for his dirtbike.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

nm posted:

"your rear wiper was taunting me" -- z06 driver.

http://i.imgur.com/UHR1DUA.gifv

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 18, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

First autocross this morning.
Video shall be forthcoming.
Had a lot of fun.
Stock tires loving SUCK.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Anyone try out G-Loc brake pads yet? The two brothers left Carbotech and started their own thing in the motorsport complex in Mooresville. I'll definitely be switching over next time I need pads.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Whelp, had to jet from the last session of today, right after meeting FatCow. Rear brake pads, which were at about 80% when the day began, have tapered EXTREMELY to the point that the hub-side of the pad has about 75% and the tire-side of the pad has about 0. None in stock at the track, none in Danville, had to come back to Raleigh to find any. Oh, and my TPMS sensor died on the way up to the track.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Are there a lot of track goons in the VA/NC/SC area or something? I'm in Charlotte so CMP and VIR are pretty much home tracks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Me, Fatcow, Sigma X, and soon asmasm.

Wrar, too, if he gets his 240SX working again. CMP is Sadi's home track.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Have some videos.
1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ug52nvJUAg
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5FVID2kJ9E
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtBK5dV92oQ
4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRfYv-uY9DI

Stock tires suck. Way too much power for them.

Things I already know: stop engine braking.
Other thoughts?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 22, 2016

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Phone posted:

Me, Fatcow, Sigma X, and soon asmasm.

Wrar, too, if he gets his 240SX working again. CMP is Sadi's home track.

Cool stuff. Do you happen to know the gentleman with the S2000 that hit the tire wall at CMP NASA last weekend?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ilkhan posted:

Things I already know: stop engine braking.
Other thoughts?

You were engine braking? I thought you were just coasting throughout the entire thing.

You're late on the steering wheel. Look up and out and things will fall into place after once you're not driving to the cones.

RapeWhistle posted:

Cool stuff. Do you happen to know the gentleman with the S2000 that hit the tire wall at CMP NASA last weekend?

I've never driven with NASA, but Southeast is a pretty tight knit community, so I could probably figure out who it was. :x

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 22, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

First race of the season went pretty well, 4th place both days. Saturday we missed third by less than half a lap but we did it to ourselves by not trusting our new fuel gauge/light and taking extra pit stops. Low turn out was a bummer with around 24 cars starting Saturday, we're hoping for more at the rest of the races this year. Saturday I was first driver and got to do two starts thanks to technical difficulties with timing at the track. Managed to get good starts both times and jump up to 4th right away. Sunday did a three hour stint and took us from 10th to 4th and had some really fun battles with a few cars.

ColdPie stuck around after his track day Friday and helped us in the pits all day Saturday, was really nice having an extra hand. I stupidly didn't get him in our car Friday to let him run a few laps.

Stuck a gopro on my chin for our last pit stop Sunday. We were short on people but were able to borrow one from the great guys at NorthLoop Motorsports next door. Fuel (13 gal), driver change and a new front left tire - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlfQggPt15E

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Anyone in northern Ohio Summit Racing is throwing their annual "Super Summit Show" at Norwalk next Friday/Saturday with free autocross & drag strip runs, along with a trade show. I went last year and it was pretty cool until a monsoon hit in the afternoon. I'm gonna use this opportunity to auto-x my new-to-me Civic si.

http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/calendar/upcoming/2016-super-summit

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Sigma X posted:

Whelp, had to jet from the last session of today, right after meeting FatCow. Rear brake pads, which were at about 80% when the day began, have tapered EXTREMELY to the point that the hub-side of the pad has about 75% and the tire-side of the pad has about 0. None in stock at the track, none in Danville, had to come back to Raleigh to find any. Oh, and my TPMS sensor died on the way up to the track.

Turns out what I thought was tapering was actually the brake pads cracking down the middle and ejecting half out onto the pavement somewhere. Good golly miss molly.

On the bright side, I've been DE2 cleared, my rears are completely worn to nearly bald (giving me an excuse to get new ones), and my instructor's recommendations were "Get better tires and brakes" and "get more seat time". Plus, by the end of the second day, MY GIRLFRIEND started asking me "what's the cheapest I could get a trackday car?".

On the flip side, I had to miss one session due to the rear brake problem and talked to FatCow for all of 45 seconds before he had to go on track for his race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you had a truck, I'd say grab a midpack Spec Miata. Most of the really pricey bits would be already paid for.